Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Popular names in the Dalelands ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  17:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As I prepare to be spontaneous, I would like to have a number names on hand for human NPCs in the Dalelands. Has this topic been broached before. I know Ed has offered a listing of popular names for Cormyr, but before I couldn't find anything on names in the Dalelands.

I'm open to suggestions for how to best go about searching for this sort of thing at the Candlekeep.

Cheers,

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  01:13:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd say a flick through Ed's novels which feature the Dalelands as a setting would be a worthwhile start. They're great sources for specific Realmslore-based names used in the region. Some even feel [or sound] as though they are period-specific to past eras of the Realms... which is just grand if you're looking to base your campaign prior to current events in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  20:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, I'd say a flick through Ed's novels which feature the Dalelands as a setting would be a worthwhile start. They're great sources for specific Realmslore-based names used in the region. Some even feel [or sound] as though they are period-specific to past eras of the Realms... which is just grand if you're looking to base your campaign prior to current events in the Realms.

Thanks for the suggestions, Sage. Any suggestions for novels based in the Dales? I'm particularly interested in Daggerdale.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  23:59:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Thanks for the suggestions, Sage. Any suggestions for novels based in the Dales? I'm particularly interested in Daggerdale.

Ed's Cloak of Shadows is partially set in Daggerdale.

Oh, and as I recall, Daggerdale is featured in Finder's Bane as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  00:05:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the other Dales [and going from memory]:-

Shadowdale -- Shadowdale, Tantras, Azure Bonds, Song of the Saurials, Stormlight, Elminster's Daughter.
Across most of the Dales -- Shadows of Doom, Cloak of Shadows, All Shadows Fled.
Mistledale -- Lost Library of Cormanthyr.

There are others, but I can't recall them all at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  09:25:24  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add to the Sage's list: The Realms first ever published novel Spellfire is set in Deepingdale and Shadowdale.

Another useful source might be Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, still available as a free download here, which features NPCs from just about every Dale.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  12:06:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look ye here.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  15:12:57  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Look ye here.

Thank you, Faraer, for that list of male and female names in the Dales provided by Edward of the Wood.

This inevitably leads to the issue of the poor searchability of the Candlekeep forum posts. There is such a wealth of fantastic information here, but we often rely on someone to remember when and where it might be. I searched diligently for these names and didn't find them, but there they were all along.

Cheers,

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000