Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I wish to know more about Dambrath
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jcdf
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  22:22:44  Show Profile  Visit jcdf's Homepage Send jcdf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am curious about a particular part of Faerun called Dambrath in the south. Here is what I know about it:

History:
211 DR: Four tribes of barbarians called the Arkaium fleeing the legions of Unther and Mulhorand settle along the coast of the Bay of Dancing Dolphins.
545 DR: King Reinhar I officaly founds the nation of Dambrath and leads an invasion of Luiren, conquering it’s halfling inhabitants.
802 DR: Miners in the Gnollwatch mountains make first contact with the drow city of T’lindhet.
831 DR: The drow invade and take control of Dambrath.
By 1358 DR Dambrath contains the cities of Cathyr, Herath, Maarlith, Purl and T’lindhet of the Underdark region.
It is ruled by a group of elves known as the Crinti a product of human drow interbreeding.

Significant Geographical features include:
The Bay of Dancing Dolphins at the centre of Dambrath, named for the Dolphins synchronized swimming in the bay.
Gnollwatch Mountains and the “Hills Of The Dead Kings” that form the northern border of Dambrath.
The river Ammath to the east. The river Dambron in the west flows form the Gnollwatch mountains.
Rethild (The Great Swamp) lies between the western border of Dambrath and the Eastern Wall of Halruaa. It is home to ruins and various monsters such as shambling mounds, tendriculoses and lizardfolk as well as a particularly clever dragoon named Valraxaxath.
The Kingdom of Dambrath is bordered on it’s east by Luiren. On it’s North by the Shaar. On it’s west by Halruaa. On it’s south by the Great Sea.

Religion
The worshiped deities are: Loviatar, Lolth, Malar and Eilistraee.

I would like to know more about the region, important people, details of cities & towns, religions etc between the dates 200 DR and 900 DR in particular. Any information or books suggested or links you could provide would be most appreciated. Thankyou!

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  22:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read Shining South? The best version is the 2e one, but much of the info was duplicated in the 3e version. That's your best source. Are you pulling those dates from the Grand History?

For novels, Elaine Cunningham's Halruaa trilogy has Crinti as a strong secondary nation/people, along with some of their history. There's also a bit on the (very) early Arkaians in Shield of Weeping Ghosts.

A list of what you've read already would be really helpful.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  00:49:11  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/FR/7.php
http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/FR/16.php
http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/FR/12.php
http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/FR/18.php

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010509b

Print out this 5-page link, and you'll have juss enough info for visiting adventurers to go on, in any area(s) of the main continent.

I have the 2e Shining South book....brb. Lemme see if I can give you some info.

REGION

-dominated by rangeland

IMPORTANT PEOPLE

-citizens refer to themselves as Damhrai
-Queen Yenandra (LE halfdrow female m18/p19) is a high priestess of Loviatar
-the social structure is very drow, but not completely
-non-Crinti will get the short end of the stick in legal matters, particularly males
-illegal to teach a male magic...severe penalties for doing so (thus they'll never challenge magic-orientated Halruaa, I should add)
-the most hated crime is actually horse theft
-gnolls and half-orcs are used as guards by nobles (gotta know the unimportant people too, for a full campaign, jcdf!)
-Tralia Falrith (mage15/priest16), a 3rd cousin to Queen Yenandra, rules the city of Ammathtar.
-Selanith (LE hef m12/p15-Loviatar), rules Guilmarl

DETAILS OF CITIES AND TOWNS

Cathtyr is the capital. 2000 strong troops in city, w/another 1000 at the ready, consisting of low level mages and priests.

The citizens have a drow-orientated social structure, where status is proven by the materialistic things one can flaunt, be in jewelry, clothes, decorations, and things non-magical and magical.

Hazuth is NE of Cathtyr where the Ammath river begins. Halflings live freely there, for the sake of the profits they can make.

Ammathtar is W of the S-Luirwood forest, and is ruled by duchess Tralia Falrith. Known as the most tolerant place in Dambrath.

Herath is found in the NW corner of the country, SSW of the Gnollwatch Mts, and the hump of the River Dambron. Prosperous, metal-working city w/lots of dwarves. This city is also a strong army post, w/40 hill giants in the service. Ruled by Selanith.

Guilmarl is in the SW corner of the country, beyond the hills and by the water, and 45 miles east of the Great Swamp. People live here to make a living off the pearls found in the region. Smallest population of Crinti in Dambrath is found here.

Haven't looked for anything on the old-time religions of the land.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 03 Sep 2009 00:55:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  00:54:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3e Underdark tome also has a few bits on Dambrath.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

jcdf
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  12:40:56  Show Profile  Visit jcdf's Homepage Send jcdf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all that hoondatha and bladeinAmn,it was most helpful. Is there more information in the Shining South on Dambrath?
I can guess why the "Gnollwatch Mountains" are so named. But why are "The Hills Of Dead Kings" called that? Are some of Reinhar's family buried in those there Hills?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  13:01:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd really get the 2e book Shining South. I'm not sure if it's still available as a download, you may have to look on something like ebay. The answers to all the questions you're asking are in there, plus plenty on the culture (much of which translates back in time as well).

Yes, Arkaian kings are buried in the Hills of Dead Kings.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  14:39:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I'd really get the 2e book Shining South. I'm not sure if it's still available as a download, you may have to look on something like ebay.

Not since WotC decided to get rid of legal downloads.

At this time, there are two copies on eBay, for $15. You could also try NobleKnight.com; many people have had a lot of good luck buying stuff from them.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  15:33:22  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jcdf

Thanks for all that hoondatha and bladeinAmn,it was most helpful. Is there more information in the Shining South on Dambrath?
I can guess why the "Gnollwatch Mountains" are so named. But why are "The Hills Of Dead Kings" called that? Are some of Reinhar's family buried in those there Hills?

I seem to remember the burial mounts of the human kings (three I think) that ruled before the drow and half-elf's in Dambrath can be found there. I will try (If I get the time) to have a look through the Shining South book later.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  15:44:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd really get the 2e book Shining South. I'm not sure if it's still available as a download, you may have to look on something like ebay.

Not since WotC decided to get rid of legal downloads.

At this time, there are two copies on eBay, for $15. You could also try NobleKnight.com; many people have had a lot of good luck buying stuff from them.

I'd keep an eye out on dragontrove.com as well, for reasonably inexpensive and "near-mint" copies.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  16:04:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also read about the History of the Crinti.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

jcdf
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  18:47:42  Show Profile  Visit jcdf's Homepage Send jcdf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd really get the 2e book Shining South. I'm not sure if it's still available as a download, you may have to look on something like ebay. The answers to all the questions you're asking are in there, plus plenty on the culture (much of which translates back in time as well).

Yes, Arkaian kings are buried in the Hills of Dead Kings.

Yes I will get the book. Thanks for all the advise Wooly Rupert, The Sage and everyone else.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000