Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Szass Tam's arrangment with Bane
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  16:19:39  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
HI guys. I just read the last "Undead" Novel- missed the first two. Szass Tam alludes to an arrangement with Bane? What was the arrangement exactly? Was it for a power boost? I knew Tam was powerful but after what I read in this book it seemed like he could challenge Larloch himself. Is he a quasi diety of some sort now ?

Edited by - jordanz on 17 Aug 2009 16:24:38

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  20:00:27  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Bane did indeed provide him some extraordinary powers for a limited time, but more important than that is as far as I perceived it, that Szass Tam was one of the few who -due to this deal- was able to use magic when the Spellplague recently hit Faerun and magic users died or where unable to make their spells work.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

LordManshoon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  21:57:34  Show Profile Send LordManshoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to what Skychrome said, I also believe the pact in effect granted Szass Tam the support of Bane's church in Thay. He'd probably use this as a buffer against the other churches, most notably Kossuth's, with which he had been butting heads, as well as his other foes.

Mastering myriad magics since Ed was young
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  02:09:40  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course the down side to all this, if I understand correctly, is that after 1000 years he has to give up his soul right?

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  06:37:05  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szass Tam made a pact with Bane to gain the following boons:

* All the knowledge a Greater Deity like Bane would have had regarding "the nature of magic as it exists today" (i.e. after Mystra's fall)
* The ability to locate and identify even the tiniest remnants of a corpse within the realm, even those that had decomposed so extensively to have been indistinguishable from the soil.
* The amplification of his ability to communicate telepathically with his allies and underlings, and of his ability to project images of himself anywhere.

These boons enabled him to adapt to the changes in the shattered Weave much more quickly than his contemporaries. More importantly they allowed him to telepathically imbue this knowledge into the minds of all of his underlings in the school of necromancy, thus giving his armies dvantage over the Zulkirs. Simultaneously it enabled him to call forth a far greater army of undead than he otherwise would have been able to, since even the smallest remnant of a decomposed corpse could have been located and transformed into some form of creature or spirit.

In return he promised to make Bane the sole deity worshiped in Thay, and that after enjoying the fruits of his victory for 1,000 years Bane could claim his soul for whatever purpose he wished.

Lastly, while these powers are mostly "gone" there is little reason to not allow him to have them in a given campaign. They all represent off-stage story related abilities that have little to do with combat, and thus it would not be unbalancing for him to continue to wield them.

Edited by - The Simbul on 19 Aug 2009 06:43:23
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  07:20:58  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

* All the knowledge a Greater Deity like Bane would have had regarding "the nature of magic as it exists today" (i.e. after Mystra's fall)
* The ability to locate and identify even the tiniest remnants of a corpse within the realm, even those that had decomposed so extensively to have been indistinguishable from the soil.
* The amplification of his ability to communicate telepathically with his allies and underlings, and of his ability to project images of himself anywhere.

These boons enabled him to adapt to the changes in the shattered Weave much more quickly than his contemporaries. More importantly they allowed him to telepathically imbue this knowledge into the minds of all of his underlings in the school of necromancy, thus giving his armies dvantage over the Zulkirs. Simultaneously it enabled him to call forth a far greater army of undead than he otherwise would have been able to, since even the smallest remnant of a decomposed corpse could have been located and transformed into some form of creature or spirit.

In return he promised to make Bane the sole deity worshiped in Thay, and that after enjoying the fruits of his victory for 1,000 years Bane could claim his soul for whatever purpose he wished.

Lastly, while these powers are mostly "gone" there is little reason to not allow him to have them in a given campaign. They all represent off-stage story related abilities that have little to do with combat, and thus it would not be unbalancing for him to continue to wield them.

I like this... and Szass has 1,000 years to figure out how to save himself, which is entirely within the realm of possibility for someone like him. No, I have no plans for a 1,000 year time jump in my Realms... I don't have time to extend the Roll of Years that far.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  07:53:35  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While he has 906 years left he takes nothing for granted, and even after his defeat he renews his efforts--a sentiment illustrated in the Epilogue.

Moreover, a complete cover-to-cover reading of the lore in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, and a basic understanding of geometry and Toril's geography pretty much foreshadows his likely next move, against whom, and the alliances or rivalries (temporary or otherwise) he might need to make along the way.

Edited by - The Simbul on 19 Aug 2009 07:58:01
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  03:27:44  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

I like this... and Szass has 1,000 years to figure out how to save himself, which is entirely within the realm of possibility for someone like him. No, I have no plans for a 1,000 year time jump in my Realms... I don't have time to extend the Roll of Years that far.

Apparently he believes that becoming a divine being will save him. It would be funny if it didn't. Still if Vecna and the like were able to acheive divinty, I wouldn't bet against Szass doing the same..
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  03:54:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Apparently he believes that becoming a divine being will save him. It would be funny if it didn't. Still if Vecna and the like were able to acheive divinty, I wouldn't bet against Szass doing the same..

Nor would I... and it would be good for the Realms; he'd be way more interesting than Velsharoon as a Realmsian lich-god, and he might even be a cooler god of the dead than Myrkul was... and I brought Myrkul back in my Realms. Of course, if Larloch decided that job was something he wanted, we'd have a heck of a fight to watch... and I'm not sure who'd come out on top.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  06:40:01  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The intended purpose of the ritual was not to transform himself into a deity. It's intended purpose was to annihilate all existence and allow the caster to re-shape the universe as they see fit, which--as stated in the Campaign Guide--would have elevated him above the gods..

..or at least in theory, since it still has yet to be successfully cast.

Edited by - The Simbul on 21 Aug 2009 06:41:19
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  08:05:04  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think his next step will include releasing the elder evil, Pandorym, and wipe out all of Toril's deities and then enact his little ritual.

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

LordManshoon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  21:35:58  Show Profile Send LordManshoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't like how Bane came out looking in this pact. True, he had no way of knowing why Szass Tam would want a pact, but he should have been suspicious. Of course, personally, I don't think the two of them should have ever met face-to-face, especially in such a way that ST appears in the same ballpark power-wise as Bane, but that's just me.

Mastering myriad magics since Ed was young
Go to Top of Page

Noxica
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2010 :  22:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Noxica's Homepage Send Noxica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordManshoon

I really don't like how Bane came out looking in this pact. True, he had no way of knowing why Szass Tam would want a pact, but he should have been suspicious. Of course, personally, I don't think the two of them should have ever met face-to-face, especially in such a way that ST appears in the same ballpark power-wise as Bane, but that's just me.

Well Bane very likely has an inkling of what Szass Tam is up to and really expects him to fail, (SPOILER: Szass Tam does actually fail his first chance at becoming the supreme ruler of the realms and now must conquer another country to try again.)

In return for Szass Tam's gamble, Bane gets an entire country to pledge their loyalty to him which is quite a power boost for him which he will very likely need for usurping Cyric.

Edited by - Noxica on 17 Feb 2010 22:01:38
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2010 :  01:21:27  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is larloch doing in all of this... As I remember Larloch is the only this that Szazz Tam fear... And for a good reason! Or Ioulaum, he would be able to give Szass a run for him money too!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2010 :  03:10:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larloch of Warlock's Crypt is NDA
Ioulaum of Seventon is also NDA....... well thier plans are anyway,

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  13:55:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, rezzing an old thread because I have a related question:

Where does Szass Tam live?

I only just noticed about two minutes ago that there is a locale on the FRIA map that says "Szass Tam's Keep", and its NOT on Thaymount.

I realize the FRIA is now two editions out-of-date - did he move? Was there ever a name for his old Keep? Did he take the keep of Nyressa Flass over after he killed her and took her place?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Feb 2013 13:56:23
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  15:05:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I only just noticed about two minutes ago that there is a locale on the FRIA map that says "Szass Tam's Keep", and its NOT on Thaymount.

I realize the FRIA is now two editions out-of-date - did he move? Was there ever a name for his old Keep? Did he take the keep of Nyressa Flass over after he killed her and took her place?
He is in Thaymount. That's his seat of power.

Never heard of "Szass Tam's Keep." It's probably the new name for Keep of Sorrows, where he won one of the most crucial campaigns against the united zulkirs.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  15:31:34  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on how you define "live" for a lich who doesn't need to sleep or do any other stuff people usually do at the place they live.

So I would guess he has several places where he works and apearing in the capitol for all the official occasions

His main labs and storing facilities probably are in some very hidden places.

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 27 Feb 2013 15:33:00
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  16:41:00  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice! And where is it, MT?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  18:47:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
sparhawk42

Of course the down side to all this, if I understand correctly, is that after 1000 years he has to give up his soul right?

As discussed in this scroll, Szass Tam has gained access to godlike powers - and/or godlike amplifications to his existing powers - within his domain (of Thay) during this millennial period. Powers which, I think, could be roughly comparable to those of, say, Halaster within his own domain (of Undermountain).

Look how much Halaster has accomplished (and how far he's been able to influence the world beyond his domain) over the past 1,000 years. Although details differ, it might be argued that Halaster's original "divine power" source, along with whatever fate or cost it forecast upon his destiny, was (indeed, might still be) somehow delayed or countered or circumvented indefinitely, at least until the end of Halaster's days ...

Remember also that Szass Tam's ambitions basically amount to reformatting the cosmos, with himself installed as the primary (Re-)Creator of the World and Everything Else. Even if the magnitude of his cosmic renovation is confined to a smaller global subset - say, just the Prime, or just Realmspace, or just Toril, or even just Faerūn/Thay - he's probably gambling on being able to build a world in which Bane is conspicuously absent.

To me this indicates that Bane (who is still pretty great among the Greater Powers) must have some specific divine knowledge about Szass's ritual. That is, Bane must know that the ritual will certainly fail (or can certainly be made to fail) ... because as a lawful god he deals only with known rules and consequences, as an evil god he's likely to manipulate these to service his own ends, and as a tyrant-bully god he's all about domination and the strong/fast/smart exerting power over the weak/slow/foolish. Bane is not a god of gamblers, not a player of intrigues and plots and gambits, not even a god of ambitious self-advancement, he wouldn't be one to risk losing a superior position for a chance of gaining an even stronger superior position - and to me this indicates that the consequences of Szass's ritual must be known and must be limited or controllable, they aren't unfathomable mysteries even the semi-omniscient Faerūnian deities cannot penetrate. Of course, Bane is not infallable, but I very much doubt he would ever agree to any arrangement in which he fails to assert, maintain, or gain power - especially not an agreement where his obligations are so costly and the prize so ambiguously useful. Szass Tam has never enjoyed any special favour as a minion or adversary of Bane, so I don't see why possession of his soul would be such a vital offering.

Unless of course Bane needs to own Szass to gain Szass's knowledge of the ritual itself. I still think that a god of such absolute and authoritarian ideology wouldn't sacrifice or gamble divine power ... at least not unless the potential payoff was something as big as the cosmos itself.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Mar 2013 21:30:57
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  22:17:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ayrik

I know nothing about these books. Haven't read them.

That said, I'd argue Bane's part in the Time of Troubles would seem to be a gamble to gain power and position.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  17:24:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane's part in the Time of Troubles really amounts to precipitating the whole mess by stealing the boss's Tablets of MacGuffin. His actions during the Avatar Crisis, right up to his death in Tantras, seemed very reactionary and contrived: instead of showing any real initiative he basically just twirled his mustache and travelled around a lot for no apparent reason other than to always be a menacing villain briefly glimpsed on the distant horizon while the main "heroes" moved the story along.

I suppose I would accept that as a gamble for power ... if the Tablets of Fate served any actual purpose in the Realms beyond being a narrative device. Perhaps they are the ultimate literal deus ex artifact.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  17:29:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to like Tam...now he reminds me of Iuz

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  13:31:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Unless of course Bane needs to own Szass to gain Szass's knowledge of the ritual itself. I still think that a god of such absolute and authoritarian ideology wouldn't sacrifice or gamble divine power . . . at least not unless the potential payoff was something as big as the cosmos itself.
It's also possible that the answer is quite a simple one: that he had no time to waste discussing with Szass Tam the ritual and whatnot and getting out of the temporary but potent cage that Szass Tam put him in. Szass Tam summoned him shortly after the Spellplague, when all gods were directly affected, when mortal matters became last on their list of priorities. He also made it clear that while Bane would eventually break free, he still had to exert some (potentially considerable amount of) power to do so, and that it could take some time. Time and power, two things that a god can hardly waste.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  15:14:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Nice! And where is it, MT?
See links below.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

He is in Thaymount. That's his seat of power.

Never heard of "Szass Tam's Keep." It's probably the new name for Keep of Sorrows, where he won one of the most crucial campaigns against the united zulkirs.
NOT possible.

The FRIA is VERY old, and hasn't been updated since the very beginning of 3e. Besides, the 3e Thay map shows the Keep of Sorrows and its not in the same place. You can see the placements on the FRIA map HERE - they are quite far apart (about 50 miles according to the FRIA scale).

Just for the sake of absolute clarity, all red lettering (except for 'Thay') is MINE, including the arrows. The Keep of Sorrows was not on the FRIA map - I placed that keep there, in accordance to where it is on the 3e (UE) map. Also, the Keep of Sorrows is on neither the 1e or 2e maps of Thay, but the River of Sorrows is clearly labeled on the 2e Spellbound map. Although the lore surrounding the Keep may be older then 3e, the actual placement of the keep is not illustrated until 3e (but the river it is on was).

My assumption here is that this was Szass Tam's original Keep, and perhaps the one he was operating out of in that short story. It may or may not be Nyressa's Flass's former keep (whom he killed to take her place). It may also be the one he was in during the events of Red Wizards, but I no longer own that novel to check. Anyone have it? Was there a map in it? (I don't recall one, but its location may have been described - most locales from the Harper series were added to the FRIA, where possible).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2013 15:21:32
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  15:26:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's no Red Wizards novel. It's called Red Magic.

You're right about the keep. But I still believe he lives in Thaymount, or where he spends most of his time. That's where the "focus" of the original set of Dread Rings, anyway. And that's where he won his crowning victory over the united zulkirs.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  12:43:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

There's no Red Wizards novel. It's called Red Magic.

You're right about the keep. But I still believe he lives in Thaymount, or where he spends most of his time. That's where the "focus" of the original set of Dread Rings, anyway. And that's where he won his crowning victory over the united zulkirs.

Yeah, I get that mixed up with the Conan novel Black Wizards.

Years and years ago, either SPI or Avalon Hill (now both owned by Hasbro) had a game called Sorcerer (or maybe the plural version of that), and it was based on 'colors of magic', kinda like how MtG magic works. It was an an army/war game, but a lot of fun. My friends and I played it a lot.

Another great gem the WotC guys should dust-off and take a look at - I really like the premise of orders of wizardry based on colors. I have several groups of wizards based in and around the Old Empires using that concept.*

Anyhow, I agree he is definitely on Thaymount now, and probably has been since the very beginning of 3e, but when the setting 'started', he wasn't. I just find that interesting, and it also gives DMs (and authors) another possibility for an adventure site (presumably to 'uncover Szass Tam's secrets'). He may have something very cool still hidden there.

*EDIT: Found it - it was SPI. Just looking at that box makes me wax nostalgic. They really need to re-release that.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Mar 2013 12:46:48
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  16:42:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
sparhawk42

As discussed in this scroll, Szass Tam has gained access to godlike powers - and/or godlike amplifications to his existing powers - within his domain (of Thay) during this millennial period. Powers which, I think, could be roughly comparable to those of, say, Halaster within his own domain (of Undermountain).

Look how much Halaster has accomplished (and how far he's been able to influence the world beyond his domain) over the past 1,000 years. Although details differ, it might be argued that Halaster's original "divine power" source, along with whatever fate or cost it forecast upon his destiny, was (indeed, might still be) somehow delayed or countered or circumvented indefinitely, at least until the end of Halaster's days ...

Remember also that Szass Tam's ambitions basically amount to reformatting the cosmos, with himself installed as the primary (Re-)Creator of the World and Everything Else. Even if the magnitude of his cosmic renovation is confined to a smaller global subset - say, just the Prime, or just Realmspace, or just Toril, or even just Faerūn/Thay - he's probably gambling on being able to build a world in which Bane is conspicuously absent.

To me this indicates that Bane (who is still pretty great among the Greater Powers) must have some specific divine knowledge about Szass's ritual. That is, Bane must know that the ritual will certainly fail (or can certainly be made to fail) ... because as a lawful god he deals only with known rules and consequences, as an evil god he's likely to manipulate these to service his own ends, and as a tyrant-bully god he's all about domination and the strong/fast/smart exerting power over the weak/slow/foolish. Bane is not a god of gamblers, not a player of intrigues and plots and gambits, not even a god of ambitious self-advancement, he wouldn't be one to risk losing a superior position for a chance of gaining an even stronger superior position - and to me this indicates that the consequences of Szass's ritual must be known and must be limited or controllable, they aren't unfathomable mysteries even the semi-omniscient Faerūnian deities cannot penetrate. Of course, Bane is not infallable, but I very much doubt he would ever agree to any arrangement in which he fails to assert, maintain, or gain power - especially not an agreement where his obligations are so costly and the prize so ambiguously useful. Szass Tam has never enjoyed any special favour as a minion or adversary of Bane, so I don't see why possession of his soul would be such a vital offering.

Unless of course Bane needs to own Szass to gain Szass's knowledge of the ritual itself. I still think that a god of such absolute and authoritarian ideology wouldn't sacrifice or gamble divine power ... at least not unless the potential payoff was something as big as the cosmos itself.

Basically, I look at what's happened with Szass Tam and I'm pretty much inclined to believe at this point that the man's just gone insane. Let's also acknowledge something... he said he developed a ritual to remake the universe. Nothing says he was correct. Everyone just went "oh poopy, what if he's right?" and attacked him. Also, lets also acknowledge that Tam's under the effects of a cursed artifact given him by Larloch (the Death Moon Orb). That's most likely why he entirely screwed over all his plans for Thay. He's just gone totally nuts and unfortunately he's not become reckless enough yet to be taken out. Hell, this may have been WHY Larloch gave him the death moon orb.

Curse: The alignment of user of the orb eventually
shifts to chaotic evil. It also compels its user to greater
and greater acts of evil, until the user is infamous as a
monster of complete wickedness and cruelty. Such individuals
invariably perish in some fashion unless,
like Tam and Larloch, they continue on as undead
creatures and don#146;t care what anyone else thinks of
them.

Mod edit: Language, please.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Mar 2013 18:09:00
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  15:56:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

One immortal archmage once said, "Contrary to common belief, we're not mad. We're simply misunderstood. And I've long ago stopped caring about what others think of me, save one man."

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  17:03:46  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

What is larloch doing in all of this... As I remember Larloch is the only this that Szazz Tam fear... And for a good reason! Or Ioulaum, he would be able to give Szass a run for him money too!

Larloch apparently has some sort of grand scheme going on. Either to bring himself back, or otherwise.

We learned in the Elminster novels that he created the blueflame items and he was mentioned grimly by the Simbul and Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  13:39:04  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems highly unlikely to me that any god would aid a mortal who was trying to destroy the universe if said god thought that there was the remotest chance of the mortal succeeding.

The whole plot of this grand spell is ridiculous. I could understand a spell to change nearby lands or replace a god but remake the universe? C'mon, that's far too big a goal.
We already have one Ao and that's quite enough thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000