Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Shadow Wars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  01:16:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I agree as well with Khelben. I brought Vangey in because of of the War Wizards/PsiCorp link, which is a much better fit than the Moonstars to PsiCorp, IMHO.

Oooh! And those special psi-cops who monitor and investigate other psi-cops could be like the alarphons of the War Wizards.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  16:11:40  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So would it be correct, canonical, to think that she would be about her full age of lifespan in -712, when she became a baelnorn? Namely 1050yo?

Or do you think that is way off?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  17:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the truth about elven lifespans is that they live as long as they want to live. An elf can feel the call of Arvandor from birth, it's just for centuries life is much more interesting. Sooner or later, though, they slow down and get tired of the world and allow themselves to move to Arvandor.

Theoretically, an elf could resist the call indefinitely, living forever unless slain. In practice, most elves give in to the call once they reach the range given as their racial maximums. This is, incidentally, the same reason why you can't very well keep elves as slaves; they literally will themselves to die.

So there's no reason why an elf born in Sharrven, or for that matter one of the refugees who came with Durothil back in the Time of Dragons, couldn't still be walking around. They would just have to want to live badly enough. Add to that that she's a high mage, and becoming a high mage adds centuries to the elf's lifespan, and there's no way to draw any sort of hard number from the available data.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  18:52:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I agree as well with Khelben. I brought Vangey in because of of the War Wizards/PsiCorp link, which is a much better fit than the Moonstars to PsiCorp, IMHO.

Oooh! And those special psi-cops who monitor and investigate other psi-cops could be like the alarphons of the War Wizards.

And the Sharn are the Vorlons and the Phaerimm are the Shadows! Harpers are Rangers! Volo is Londo Mollari!

Okay, I'm done...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  22:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was with you up until the Volo bit.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  23:36:34  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok... I get that she could well be 10.000 years old... but what do you think. As Ive said before im no master of elven lore og FR lore at that. but to place a number that would be plausible what number would you say?

Personally I would put her age at around 1050+712+1377 = 3139

This number could be far from the true number; and its probably only Ed who knows her exact age. But I would say that ist a fair age and a plausible age too! Whats your take on this Hoondatha?

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 11 Jun 2009 23:37:36
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  02:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I... hmm. I've never really given it much thought, to be honest. At the very least I'd make her old enough to use the maximum amount of high magic before she became a baelnorn, which is 1325 years old. Which would be 1325 + 712 + 1370 = 3407.

But when I think about it, there's this nice circular nature about her if we make her from Sharrven. We know she liked to use the ruined Dlardrageth palace in Myth Drannor as a hide-away, but why should she choose that spot? Maybe because she actually fought the Dlardrageths and the other fey'ri when she was a young mage in Sharrven during the Seven Citadels' War. Then her use of it becomes more than just the fact it was out of the way, but a subtle act of revenge against the people who resulted in the destruction of her first home. Which sounds like her, actually.

In this case, she's nearly 6000 years old (c. 4500 + 1370).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  08:37:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I skimmed the rest of my library, but didn't see anything else of much use. Anyone have any more ideas?
See the "Realmslore from Elminster in Myth Drannor" from The Annotated Elminster. Lots of intriguing Ed-lore bits about the Srinshee in there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  11:22:59  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Her age should be as you so truely say... 1325+712+1377 = 3414 as a minimum and the idea about her being close to 6000... well I like it.

So thanks for helping me narowing her age down to 3414 - 6000

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000