Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Naming System in Phlan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  20:18:55  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I finally caught on while running Ruins of Adventure.

All the names ... are spanish. Is there an FR Anthropological reason for this?

Sure, they did horrible attrocities when naming NPCs (half-orcs are named after weapons, gnomes after words for earth, half-elves after gems, etc), but I figured they wouldn't go so nuts with the rest of the city's names.

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  21:01:00  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh. I totally missed that.

I'm going back to high school and complaining that my two years of Spanish were a waste.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  23:02:04  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it just doesnt seem like Ferran Martinez is a really good Realmsian name.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  15:53:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should of had the main personage in my one CKC article - Richard Montoya - be from Phlan.

I wonder if Alaundo would let me go back and edit some of the names in that piece?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  21:57:53  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're missing something there, Rhewtani: "Phlanish" rhymes with "Spanish"... there's your justification, 4E style.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  22:07:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

You're missing something there, Rhewtani: "Phlanish" rhymes with "Spanish"... there's your justification, 4E style.

I've always pronounced it Flon, not Flan.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  18:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never considered pronouncing it anything other than Flan.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000