Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rulers of the Nine Hells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  17:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

@ Maruluthu Mistrivvin: I realize that most of the lore in the Guide to Hell can be largely ignored, but there are some very interesting tidbits.

it did a good job on adding more detail to their personalities

quote:
Also, if one follows a path of worship with Asmodeus, should they not feel that their master was "wrongly accused" or "cast down" in some way? That's really what I took from the whole thing, that and it provides a way for a LE Devilish "divne/Unholy" conduit for spellcasters.

I don't think that Asmodeus would reveal his past, that he would tolerate the story that somebody had the power to ''cast him down'', not sure, and it's just from LN to LE, he wasn't really an angel

does he grant spells? think Tiamat (or Set) does it for him, that's why they are tolerated, he focused on weakening the planes through disbelief and supports atheists, like in that saying, the greatest trick the devil pulled ...

I totally agree about the adding to the personalities (that was the biggest part I took from that book). As to whether Asmo would reveal his past, I think it's a good possibility he would have something to bring to those who feel exiled or downtrodden to help them get revenge.

As to whether he grants the spells or some other deity grants the spells... I have a problem with ANY deity allowing worship to another being & granting them spells. My viewpoint is that Asmo's true form is a deity on par with Ao, in as much as he doesn't require worship (pre-required worship deity), or he is an Ancient Baatorian. Due to the various contracts throughout the hells, he allows some of his powers to go to other Lords of the Nine, as part of keeping the Ancient Baatorians at bay, whom he despises for some reason (validating my thoughts that Asmo may possibly be an Ancient Baatorian, once their existance is accepted as fact). Ancient Baatorians' powers are little known, and it's perfectly possible they could grant spells to "worshippers" in order to gain even more power through allies.

There are so many theories that I could go into here, but suffice to say I don't accept that deities grant power to any "lesser" beings, be it Lords of the Nine, Demon Princes, the Talisis's Guardinals, the Celestial Hebdomad, or even the Court of Stars. I just can't believe it, myself.

Anyhoo, that's a minor threadjack... Sorry guys.
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000