Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 info on Thultanthar (City of Shade)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  19:20:34  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow scribes

I'm currently looking for as much info as possible on the legendary City of Shade, once known as Thultanthar. According to Lost Empires of Faerun, It was created by Lord Shadow (Mr. Telamont Tanthul) in -1471 and was saved from Netheril's destruction by Karsus's Avatar by being in the plane of shadow at the time. Here's a few question

1) Does a map of Thultanthar exist (official or not)?
2) When did the city fled to the plane of shadow and why? Was it pure luck or did they foresee the empire's destruction?
3) Was the High prince evil back then or did he become evil because of the plane's corruption?

Any general on the city's architecture would be great too. Thank you.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  21:41:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there's any general info on Shade's layout, much less a map... As for when it fled to the plane of Shadow, that depends on what source you read. It's been said it left the day before the Fall of Netheril, minutes before the Fall of Netheril, and during the Fall of Netheril. It was pure luck, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  23:22:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall seeing a map for Shade printed anywhere in the Realmslore. As for general layout though, well, the "Return of the Archwizards" trilogy provides some basic info on locations across the enclave. I'm sure you could use that as a basis for a map of Shade.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  18:38:55  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe moving the city to the Plane of Shadow was Shars idea.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  19:30:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the Netheril 2E source has some pictures and a basic map of Karsus enclave that may give some ideas as well.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  20:59:26  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) see above
2) I think it was sheer luck...and maybe some Shar-induced vision
3) evil is a matter of perspective I daresay

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  21:05:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know if the Most High (I think if you call him Mr, he may slay you!) was evil before shade shifted, but he was definatley already decadent and living to his own code like most of the Netherese arch-Wizards.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  02:35:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Don't know if the Most High (I think if you call him Mr, he may slay you!) was evil before shade shifted, but he was definatley already decadent and living to his own code like most of the Netherese arch-Wizards.

He would not have been so decadent had his wife been alive. Alashar had so influenced Brennus that he often was able to keep in touch of his "humanity" and showed a shred of goodness. I suppose she did the same to Telamont.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  04:19:40  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Shadow was listed as Neutral in Arcane Age Netheril if that helps.
Hundreds of years in the Shadow plane fighting for survival tends to remove
the good out of one's soul.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  04:37:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Hundreds of years in the Shadow plane fighting for survival tends to remove
the good out of one's soul.

Brennus still has a little shred of goodness in him left, I think.

Go to Top of Page

D1Nonly
Acolyte

Norway
15 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  00:24:02  Show Profile  Visit D1Nonly's Homepage Send D1Nonly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of darkness houses alot of information, and some sort of map.
Go to Top of Page

Erdrick Stormedge
Learned Scribe

132 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  13:16:22  Show Profile  Visit Erdrick Stormedge's Homepage Send Erdrick Stormedge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lady Crywinds twas a soul most embittered indeed. Killers for hire are nae often fonts of goodness.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  17:34:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erdrick Stormedge

The Lady Crywinds twas a soul most embittered indeed. Killers for hire are nae often fonts of goodness.

Motherhood changed her. =)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000