Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Manual of the Planes table of contents
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  05:11:32  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
this is up at WOTC. Interesting bit - Sigil gets a little 4E attention.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/excerpts/MoP_ToC.pdf

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  06:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least, the old PrC of the Planeshifter made it into 4e. Good to see.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  06:16:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks interesting enough. I'd be content to pick it up just for the Sigil information. But it also looks like a few of my other favorite planar locales and races have received some new attention as well -- namely, the City of Brass and the Keepers.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  06:23:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Don't see anything about the Factions. That'd probably be in the Sigil chapter, though. Anyone who gets this book, let me know about the Factions. Just curious how all that is going to work, with the revisions to the cosmology and all.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  15:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might get this book. If I do, I'll share it with you.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  16:06:40  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I might get this book. If I do, I'll share it with you.

-Alright, then. I'm interested (maybe not interested. Curious) about a lot of the stuff potentially in there.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  18:29:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Alright, then. I'm interested (maybe not interested. Curious) about a lot of the stuff potentially in there.

Me too! I'll think about what books to get once I'm done with my Christmas shopping.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  22:04:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Me too! I'll think about what books to get once I'm done with my Christmas shopping.

-You can leave the Hanukkah shopping to me, then.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  14:43:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan on getting this book.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 06 Dec 2008 14:44:02
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  03:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Don't see anything about the Factions. That'd probably be in the Sigil chapter, though. Anyone who gets this book, let me know about the Factions. Just curious how all that is going to work, with the revisions to the cosmology and all.

From someone who had the book and was answering questions over on RPG.net, there isn't exactly any info on the factions. There's a paragon path with some relation to the Doomguard, but that's pretty much it. Very minimal fluff (though I say this second-hand, without having read a copy of the book in the store yet). Might be pretty slim even compared to the 3e MotP in terms of flavor, which would be unfortunate. But it looks to be better than the 3e Planar Handbook at least.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  05:13:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a shame.

I mean, having seen some further PLANESCAPE-references slowly creep into the 3e lore over the last few years, up to and including the final few sourcebooks released [like the two Fiendish Codex tomes], I would've thought 4e would continue that trend somewhat.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  05:49:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know. The 2 Fiendish Codexes were some of my favorite 3E Books.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  06:55:31  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah, I noticed that Doomguard PP.

-How can one make a Sigil without factions? Sure, there's the facton war, but...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  09:46:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a Feywild article up now. I like it. I will more than likely use it in a 3e game.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  15:46:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also an article up on the Mercykillers.

Although I'm not a huge planar fan, I liked the planes the way they were. I don't see that there was a need for a change. I'd not use the Feywild; instead, I'd use the version of Faerie that's described in the Bastion Press book Faeries.

Unlike before the fire, I now have a complete collection of the Planescape sourcebooks... One of these days, I've got to read them. The only one I've read was On Hallowed Ground, a book I somehow acquired twice when I was replacing it. Planescape failed to grab me when it came out, for two reasons: I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of adventuring on the planes (I was looking at it wrong), and I didn't like the "everybody belongs to a faction" thing in the first boxed set.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  22:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not wanting to be in a faction makes you a Indep don't it?

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  22:51:56  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
-How can one make a Sigil without factions? Sure, there's the facton war, but...

Apparently very little detail on the Factions in the 4e MotP itself, but if Rob Schwalb's article on the Mercykillers in e-Dragon is any indication, they're shifting all sorts of detail (that should have been in printed books) to the DDI subscription package.

Personally I think they're risking the perception that some books are being intentionally watered down in content in order to hook people on a monthly subscription fee.

That said, Schwalb's MK article was ten shades of awesome. I'm rather tickled pink that he retained the possibility of Alisohn Nilesia being flayed alive by the Lady of Pain (which was more or less directly ported from a scene in one of my Storyhours...)

It's not the same setting, but it's a neat piece almost like one of those alternate continuity comic book plots.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  23:20:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Planescape failed to grab me when it came out, for two reasons: I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of adventuring on the planes (I was looking at it wrong), and I didn't like the "everybody belongs to a faction" thing in the first boxed set.
"Everybody" doesn't really belong to a Faction though. The Factions are highly Sigil-centric. And though they do have influence elsewhere on the planes and outside the City of Doors [mostly in areas they directly control], the planes themselves are still the domains of powers, petitioners and planars -- as well as plenty of clueless who've never heard anything about the Factions and what they're about.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  23:33:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Planescape failed to grab me when it came out, for two reasons: I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of adventuring on the planes (I was looking at it wrong), and I didn't like the "everybody belongs to a faction" thing in the first boxed set.
"Everybody" doesn't really belong to a Faction though. The Factions are highly Sigil-centric. And though they do have influence elsewhere on the planes and outside the City of Doors [mostly in areas they directly control], the planes themselves are still the domains of powers, petitioners and planars -- as well as plenty of clueless who've never heard anything about the Factions and what they're about.

It's been a long time since I read the boxed set (I got it when it first came out, and traded it for store credit within a few months). I likely misread it; it was prolly something Sigil-specific. I just recall it saying something about how everybody belonged to a faction -- and none of the factions appealed to me. They were all too focused on one thing for me. *shrugs* I need to reread the stuff, that's for certain.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  23:36:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's been a long time since I read the boxed set (I got it when it first came out, and traded it for store credit within a few months). I likely misread it; it was prolly something Sigil-specific. I just recall it saying something about how everybody belonged to a faction -- and none of the factions appealed to me.
Aye.

Though, that particular element wasn't specifically focused on in successive PS tomes, where they began to elaborate more on the expansive nature of the planes and the opportunities that come with being not-specifically aligned to a group like a Faction.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  03:57:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

It's not the same setting, but it's a neat piece almost like one of those alternate continuity comic book plots.

-It's takes more than being able to adventure in the planes to a Planescape make, that's for sure.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  03:57:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

as well as plenty of clueless who've never heard anything about the Factions and what they're about.

-Damn clueless berks...Heh, I made a funny reference in EoF to berks.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  16:20:52  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be a cynic, but I was surprised when upon looking at the book I saw that they'd included Shemeshka the Marauder, even though now arcanaloths are a new creature and are somehow related to rakshasas. (It looks like Shemmy's family tree got some pruning. )

That said, I wonder if she was included in 4e because of the status 'she', or rather the gamer who adopted her online, has with the larger gamer community? It just seems odd that of all the yugoloths, the arcanaloths are the only ones stil around in 4e.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  16:41:38  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Canoloths are there

I was hoping to see something good about Faerie, but nothing impressive

Doomguard are changed, for the worse, no longer three types of them, just hack and smash

and they are anarchists, lol

Edited by - Quale on 18 Dec 2008 16:42:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  17:11:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Doomguard are changed, for the worse, no longer three types of them, just hack and smash

Doesn't that description apply to all 4E classes?

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  18:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

I may be a cynic, but I was surprised when upon looking at the book I saw that they'd included Shemeshka the Marauder, even though now arcanaloths are a new creature and are somehow related to rakshasas. (It looks like Shemmy's family tree got some pruning. )

That said, I wonder if she was included in 4e because of the status 'she', or rather the gamer who adopted her online, has with the larger gamer community? It just seems odd that of all the yugoloths, the arcanaloths are the only ones stil around in 4e.

*chuckle* I would bet money that it had absolutely nothing to do with my online hijacking of the character as a sometimes pen-name. Given how much I've expressed displeasure (to put it lightly) at the design decisions by one or two members of the 4e "writing team", any influence I'd lend to the character undoubtably would be negative if they'd considered me when they wrote her up for 4e. As it happens, they did a good job, so I'll grant them that.

That said, the character is there in Sigil in 4e because of Michelle Carter. She suggested the characters that were featured as interesting people in the Sigil writeup. She's awesome like that.

And if they'd had me in mind when they wrote up Shemeshka in 4e, they'd certainly have spelled her name wrong like I have (knowingly) for years. Yes, there's a story there. ;)

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:50:42  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the few things that interests me about the 4E planes is the Feywild. I don't think they went into enough detail on Faerie in previous editions, so hopefully making it an integral part of the cosmology will make them pay more attention to it.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  22:43:05  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has 5 pages on Sigil? Hmm, might have to peruse this after all.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  00:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*chuckle* I would bet money that it had absolutely nothing to do with my online hijacking of the character as a sometimes pen-name. Given how much I've expressed displeasure (to put it lightly) at the design decisions by one or two members of the 4e "writing team", any influence I'd lend to the character undoubtably would be negative if they'd considered me when they wrote her up for 4e. As it happens, they did a good job, so I'll grant them that.

Great job, yes, but I'm still avoiding 4th Ed. Sorry, folks.

quote:
That said, the character is there in Sigil in 4e because of Michelle Carter. She suggested the characters that were featured as interesting people in the Sigil writeup. She's awesome like that.

She sounds like a fine lady indeed.

quote:
And if they'd had me in mind when they wrote up Shemeshka in 4e, they'd certainly have spelled her name wrong like I have (knowingly) for years. Yes, there's a story there. ;)

And? Have you written this story down anywhere? I remember once having the address of your shrine to Shemeshka homepage, but I've since lost it. I'd like to be able to find it again.

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  02:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quoteAnd? Have you written this story down anywhere? I remember once having the address of your shrine to Shemeshka homepage, but I've since lost it. I'd like to be able to find it again.
[/quote]

No not really. I'll share it at some point.

But I haven't ever had a homepage.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  06:53:07  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

One of the few things that interests me about the 4E planes is the Feywild. I don't think they went into enough detail on Faerie in previous editions, so hopefully making it an integral part of the cosmology will make them pay more attention to it.

-I've always preferred an detailed Plane of Faerie, myself. Helps with the "eldrich mystique" going on.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000