Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Col. Mustard, in the Study, with the vorpal sword
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  06:54:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yes folks, it's the board game we've all been waiting for -- D&D Clue!

quote:
Was it Tordek the Dwarf Fighter with the Flaming Battle Axe in the Library of Arcane Tomes? Or maybe it was Lidda the Halfling Rogue with the Dagger of Venom in the Magical Armory? Or perhaps Nebin the Gnome Wizard with the Mace of Disruption in the Chamber of Tricks & Traps?

I'm not talented enough to make up something that goofy. I may have to buy it, though!

How long until Waterdeep Monopoly comes out? And how would Battleship get translated to D&D terms? "You sank my white dragon!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  08:31:03  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the classic "Oh my stars and garters" about covers it. WHY did you have to go and make me HAVE to spend MORE MONEY??!!! And an amount far beyond what I could justify any time soon I don't even like modern bored games (not a typo), but this is a must-have, if for nothing else than a comment-getter on a coffee table.....I can't stop chuckling. Now to figure out how character-generation and RPing could be worked into it to make it DELICIOUSLY geeky.....

OOO!! Shar/Selune Othello!! Pin the Blame on the Dark Elf! The Game of Death (for those whose pulse races at the thought of leading a lich through eons of holding down a job and buying a house on a cardboard mat with a spinner)!

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")

Edited by - Laerrigan on 27 Nov 2008 08:42:35
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
742 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  08:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*just groans in agony*

WizBro Sellplague much?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  11:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HAHA great stuff. Isn't there a D&D version of a board game out there currently (I thought there was a Monopoly one, but it could be something else)....maybe my mind is just vanishing....

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  11:55:25  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
. . . and so, it begins
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  13:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arry

. . . and so, it begins

The beginning of me losing my mind??

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  16:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the love of Mystra, guys! They're just putting out a fun/cute game to appeal to people who love both D&D and board games--that way maybe to get more folks from the board game crowd. It's not like you're *required* to buy it to play D&D.

So buy it if you want--it's not indicative of the "EVILS OF WIZBRO, rawr!" Tying a board game to a popular movie/book series is pretty common--Pirates, James Bond, etc., etc.

Why criticize a game company for creating games?

Cheers

P.S. And dude, I would SO buy a Waterdeep monopoly.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  16:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

That would be SO totally gnarly!!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  23:14:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see myself and the rest of my campaign group setting aside one of our regularly scheduled weekend adventures and, instead, taking the time to play through D&D Clue. I might just pick this one up as well.

And Erik's right. This looks like a fun new way to experiment with the core D&D concept in an unexpected form. I think it's worthwhile experiencing what it has to offer, before passing judgment on it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  23:15:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, no, no...

Risk: Faerūn would be the ultimate game-board experience.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  01:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You beat me to this Sage, I was about to say it!! And I would be the first buying it
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  01:46:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

No, no, no...

Ooh, I'd buy both of them!

I'll likely also get this D&D Clue. I mean, yeah, it is a goofy idea. But I often find appeal in that which is goofy (hastily rewording the sentence so it can't be used against me! ). A silly idea is not always a bad one... I've got, for example, four of the novelty Mr. Potatoheads -- Darth Tater, the Spud Trooper, Optimash Prime, and the Trick-Or-Tater. I recently got the figure of Danboard from Yotsubato, and I just the other day acquired from eBay four of the plastic containers that the Wonka candy Nerds used to be sold in.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
742 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  03:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

that way maybe to get more folks* from the board game crowd.
*Emphasis mine
Exactly my point, thanks Erik. I don't object to this particular game—although I prefer my Clue/do old school style and the additional rules didn't endear it to me either—as much as I object to their 'get more folks' at any cost. Are they not selling enough copies of Clue/do (we call it Cluedo here in South Africa) already? Or are they not selling enough D&D?

quote:
It's not like you're *required* to buy it to play D&D.
Well, you're not required to buy or play either. And as an informed consumer, I will opt to forego both for now.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  11:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me wonder, anyone here ever played the Great Khan Board Game??? Is it any good?

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  11:59:41  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the facts I draw one set of conclusions while others may draw different ones. Who is correct? Time will tell.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  14:20:21  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Kyrene that I prefer the original Clue, and I generally like the original games best for board games. But, since they rolled out an updated Clue earlier this year, I'm prepared and excited for D&D Clue.

Risk: Faerūn totally gets my vote for most-wanted adaptation!!!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  15:40:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a niggling feeling at the back of my brain here, but until I got back from Thanksgiving I didn't have time to look this up . . . this game came out in 2001 guys . . . i.e. no conspiracy theory about dismantling the underpinnings of D&D or anything like that. This was one of the first things Hasbro put out when they bought WOTC, and it makes perfect sense that they did back then.
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  15:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can still remember the module we played at a local Con a good 20+ years ago. It came from Dragon 78 or so and was a murder investigation ... (and we got it wrong in some details). Awesome module if you can get your hands on it!

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  16:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
For the love of Mystra, guys! They're just putting out a fun/cute game to appeal to people who love both D&D and board games--that way maybe to get more folks from the board game crowd. It's not like you're *required* to buy it to play D&D.

So buy it if you want--it's not indicative of the "EVILS OF WIZBRO, rawr!" Tying a board game to a popular movie/book series is pretty common--Pirates, James Bond, etc., etc.

Why criticize a game company for creating games?

Sure, they are just putting together two games to advertise their stuff the indirect way. Its the same reason why there are all the things you already mentioned. But does that make them "good" or "desirable"? Not in my book, most are cheap ripoffs that just use a name to sell things but have nothing to do with the original.

If "everyone" does this does it automatically make it good? If someone gets a gun and shoots someone does that mean I should do the same? Not in my book. Companies dont really care anymore if their products are "quality", they only care if they sell.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  18:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was glad to see D&D for Dummies, Shelly Mazzanoble's book and the Baldur's Gate novels, and groaned when Wizards messed up getting out tie-ins like the Neverwinter Nights anthology, D&D/Realms board games, and other cross-promotion like introducing the Star Wars RPG in Star Wars Insider.

What's the downside?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  22:19:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to see:

TOTAL WAR: FAERUN

You could have the following factions just in the heartlands:

Cormyr, The Dales, Sembia, and Zhentarim

"Rebel" Factions could be:

Orcs of Thar, Pirates of the Fallen Stars, Bedine, various City-States (Hillsfar, Mulmaster, etc.), The Vast, and etc.

Total War has a great mechanic...one of the best I've seen before. It would be easy to use magic too by installing Priests with actual abilities from the churches and being able to have wizards from wizard schools and such. I can just see a War Wizards unit on the field now!

Random acts, instead of just being natural disasters (like flooding and volcanoes) could be Flights of Dragons or a random Undead Army popping up...

I can only dream...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  23:26:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really, as much as I like to "criticize the man", I would SO buy this and Waterdeep Monopoly... but considering the popularity of the Comp Games, we are far more likely to see a Baldur's Gate Monopoly, to get some cross-pollinization from the vid-game crowd (damn... that would have tri-genre appeal).

quote:

quote:

No, no, no...

Congratualtions Sage... you are very first male to ever to ever make me sport... errr... my excitement.

Realms Risk... I think I need a tissue.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Nov 2008 18:33:26
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  21:59:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-I tried looking for it, when someone mentioned something about it a week or two ago, but I couldn't find the Faerūn Risk map that I made. The thread that I created it on has been archived, and the WotC archives are big (and incomplete) and I don't know what ever became of that map. Suffice to say, I don't have it saved on my computer or my photobucket account...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  22:02:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Congratualtions Sage... you are very first male to ever to ever make me sport... errr... my excitement.

-I beg to differ:

Me: That would sound interesting, interactive Flash maps.
You: Yup - I get... excited... over any maps...perhaps a little TOO excited...
Me: Need a moist towelette? Combining Flash animation to be able to zoom in/out, and adjust different time frames would be the ultimate map.
You: ...

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 29 Nov 2008 22:03:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  23:16:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

-I tried looking for it, when someone mentioned something about it a week or two ago, but I couldn't find the Faerūn Risk map that I made. The thread that I created it on has been archived, and the WotC archives are big (and incomplete) and I don't know what ever became of that map. Suffice to say, I don't have it saved on my computer or my photobucket account...

Hmmm... I might take a look through those archives anyway, and see what I can find.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  23:55:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm... I might take a look through those archives anyway, and see what I can find.

-On nothing related to this point of the thread at all, it is amusing to, every once and a while, flip through the archives (which are somewhat hazardous to navigate, mind you, so be forewarned. The stark colors and plain text sometimes makes it hard to "translate" conversations, especially when quoting others) and see the stuff that we were discussing and doing last year, the year before, and so on. Because of the problems that WotC had/has with their storage mainframes, from earlier this year, coupled with the smooshing of the FR section from six different areas, to one, then to two, and then to three, a lot of everything has been lost. The original section that the original six were smooshed in to, which is now the Forgotten Realms: Realmslore section, only has threads dating back to late '07/early '07, sadly.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  02:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yes folks, it's the board game we've all been waiting for -- D&D Clue!

quote:
Was it Tordek the Dwarf Fighter with the Flaming Battle Axe in the Library of Arcane Tomes? Or maybe it was Lidda the Halfling Rogue with the Dagger of Venom in the Magical Armory? Or perhaps Nebin the Gnome Wizard with the Mace of Disruption in the Chamber of Tricks & Traps?

I'm not talented enough to make up something that goofy. I may have to buy it, though!

How long until Waterdeep Monopoly comes out? And how would Battleship get translated to D&D terms? "You sank my white dragon!"

Very cute, although I was never too keen on the so-called "Iconic 3E D&D characters", or whatever they were called.

I would play it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 30 Nov 2008 02:50:16
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  17:02:01  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Risk: Faerun would be a must have since my husband has managed to buy every other available version of that game already.

I could so see myself playing D&D Clue and even Waterdeep Monopoly...

What about FR version of Diplomacy?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  18:48:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know - I was a HUGE Diplomacy fan back in the day, but I don't know how I'd feel about translating that to FR. It could be very easily done - all you'd need is a map - but then it would just feel like Diplomacy with a different map (and not a Realms game).

How about D&D Chutes and Ladders? I know that is silly as hell, but it would help to introduce younger children to the D&D experience, and the theme of the game lends itself to a Dungeon VERY nicely. Maybe call it Trapdoors and Stairwells.

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

-I beg to differ:

Me: That would sound interesting, interactive Flash maps.
You: Yup - I get... excited... over any maps...perhaps a little TOO excited...
Me: Need a moist towelette? Combining Flash animation to be able to zoom in/out, and adjust different time frames would be the ultimate map.
You: ...
Soooooo... you want the very dubious honor of exciting me?

What I said there was that the prospect of new maps excite me, not you in particular, but Sage's suggestion touched in me in ways men shouldn't touch other men.

Of course, I could easily make a Risk FR map and use the LotR Risk pieces and rules (for the most part - I'd have to replace the 'One Ring' with a similar concept). I would just want something a little grander, though, with more unit-types.

Actually, what I would really want is a computer game for FR along the lines of Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Wonders, or Lords of Magic. Different Factions able to build different units and take-over surrounding regions would be oh-so cool.

I can see it now - you'd have to research theology and Arcane Knowledge to build a Temple of Mystra, just so you could upgrade your Hero units to 'Chosen'.

Now I'm getting myself excited... maybe I should go back to building custom scenarios and maps for HOMM.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Nov 2008 19:20:42
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  18:58:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I just want credit where credit is due.

-That said, a Forgotten Realms version of Heroes of Might and Magic would indeed be fun. Or, a Forgotten Realms version of Starcraft (whatever that genre is called, I don't know).

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  19:24:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starcraft is RTS (Real Time Strategy), whereas the three I mentioned there (all excellent in their own way) are turn-based.

As much as I enjoyed Warcraft's I & II, I couldn't get through all of Warcraft III. I'm getting too old to keep track of thirty things simultaneously. Unfortunately, turn-based is becoming a thing of the past (much like me, I suppose...)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000