Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The Kryptgarden
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  21:16:59  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know where I can find some canon on the Kryptgarden (area north of Waterdeep in the Sword Mts, pg 128 of the FRPG.)?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  21:26:00  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have a look in Dragon #233, p. 36 & 37. (I've not had a look by myself but I found hints which sid to me you could find something there !)

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  22:50:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See also Volo's Guide to the North, Waterdeep and the North and the Savage Frontier tome. [They're available as free PDF downloads at WotC]

There were some slight 'Kryptgarden' tidbits in the timeline for the "Old North" in Lost Empires of Faerūn also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  07:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeon issue 45 had an adventure set there: 'Welcome to Krypthome.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  15:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anciently the forest was known as Tsordvudd, according to Dwarves Deep. It was the western border of Besilmer.

Wave Echo cave in the Swordkrypt Mountains is said by Volo to be a lair of monsters now, its location lost to drwarves and gnomes.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  17:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

See also Volo's Guide to the North, Waterdeep and the North and the Savage Frontier tome. [They're available as free PDF downloads at WotC]

There were some slight 'Kryptgarden' tidbits in the timeline for the "Old North" in Lost Empires of Faerūn also.

Thanks guys, you're one in a million.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  22:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, we're four in a million.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  13:53:52  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

I think I may have played this not too long ago - is that the one with the travelling minstrel, werewolves, the deck of many things, the village of bumpkins and the semi-ruined castle filled with bad guys?

My rogue (the fattest chaviest thief in Waterdeep) ended up becoming "Lady Min of Kryptgarden" as a result of said Deck she found in the Castle ruins.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  15:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

quote:

I think I may have played this not too long ago - is that the one with the travelling minstrel, werewolves, the deck of many things, the village of bumpkins and the semi-ruined castle filled with bad guys?

My rogue (the fattest chaviest thief in Waterdeep) ended up becoming "Lady Min of Kryptgarden" as a result of said Deck she found in the Castle ruins.

Actually no - it involves a wild mage, a handful of dwarven miners, and some goblins if memory serves.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  15:50:32  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

chaviest

Okay, usually I'm pretty good at slang, especially from across the pond since I have a few British friends. But you've truly stumped me here. What is chaviest?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  08:59:01  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

[quote]Originally posted by StarBog
What is chaviest?

Wikipedia to the rescue
Someone who is common, boorish, rude, ill-mannered, loutish, and who would live in Dock Ward.

Cheers

Damo

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  18:53:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually no - it involves a wild mage, a handful of dwarven miners, and some goblins if memory serves.

That sounds like the last Bachelor Party I went to.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  13:02:46  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

[quote]Originally posted by StarBog
What is chaviest?

Wikipedia to the rescue
Someone who is common, boorish, rude, ill-mannered, loutish, and who would live in Dock Ward.

Damo is indeed correct. She was(is) perfect Dock Ward material. Now of course that's she's nobility....I think the priestesses of Siamorphe have their work cut out....I think we're planning to do a Mere of Den Men Campaign next year and she's going to be one of the PCs...
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  15:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so..ermm....does anyone have any more info on the Kryptgarden?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  21:15:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage has in his standard efficient manner provided you with reference to all of the published 'canon' sources on the Kryptgarden - save one.

There is a long-ago Dragon article on vampires in the Realms which gives details and stats on the hill giant vampire that lairs in those woods. Someone will be along directly to give you the exact citation.

Other than that, you've been referred to all of the existing published realmslore on that location.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  22:44:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-DRAGON 236, "Children of the Night"?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  23:02:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Krash. I had a nagging suspicion that I'd forgotten a particular reference.
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-DRAGON 236, "Children of the Night"?

That's the one. By Paul Culotta.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Nov 2008 01:07:27
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  23:06:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Hill Giant Vampire! Thanks for the info.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  23:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks all! My writer's block thanks you.

Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  04:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything new in the area?!?!? Running a 4e game near there.

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2014 :  16:52:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My memory says that it was also in an old dungeon mag article that was a spelljammer crossover. Can't find it so it might be Neverwinter wood though.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  13:12:37  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new D&D Adventurers League is going to include an adventure set in Kryptgarden. Here's the blurb:

DDEP1 Corruption in Kryptgarden
Designer: Teos Abadia
Characters of Level 1-4

Playtime: 3 hours

Kryptgarden Forest has long been a place feared by travelers. Now, the Cult of the Dragon has used that fear to its advantage, securing a stronghold deep in the forest. The Harpers, Order of the Gauntlet, Emerald Enclave, Lords’ Alliance, and the Zhentarim are recruiting groups of adventurers to infiltrate the forest to find out the cult’s purpose. Join hundreds of others in this interactive play experience. Available only at Gen Con Indy, PAX Prime, Dragon*Con, and Fan Expo Canada.

The website for Adventurers League is here: http://dndadventurersleague.org/tyranny-of-dragons-premier-adventures/

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2019 :  01:10:52  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

My memory says that it was also in an old dungeon mag article that was a spelljammer crossover. Can't find it so it might be Neverwinter wood though.

That was Neverwinter Wood. Dungeon #28.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000