Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  06:52:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene
<snip>
Took me a while (mainly since I wrestled with what you presented me with as an answer/rebuttal for so long) to get to this one. Scribes will start seeing citations of "So saith George Krashos" in the 'Realmspeak' glossary and can thus reflect on whether they wish to use those terms or phrases themselves (just as I have) in the same manner.

Sorry Kyrene, I wasn't trying to be cute with this but I have never considered my musings (as opposed to my published writing) to have the gravitas and 'realmslore imprimatur' of similar work by Eric Boyd, Steven Schend, Brian R James and the fabulous writers who frequent the place such as Erik Scott De Bie. That's not false modesty at work, but simply an acknowledgement that "my way" isn't necessarily the "right" or "best" way regarding thoughts on the Realms. It's a big sandbox and as the years have gone on, it's nice to see other people get a go. That's not to say I still can't build a few sandcastles here and there, but my time at the beach is limited.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 02 Aug 2010 08:15:04
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  06:53:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought Damara was a Celtic goddess...

Or a Namibian tribe...

But hey, Damara is actually one of my favorite kingdoms...I always thought it would go somewhere after the defeat of the Witch King. Maybe some sort of unity with Impultir to found a mighty Empire to threaten Thay...

Well, I can dream...

Now how about details on those tomes Krash!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  08:16:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Or a Namibian tribe...

But hey, Damara is actually one of my favorite kingdoms...I always thought it would go somewhere after the defeat of the Witch King. Maybe some sort of unity with Impultir to found a mighty Empire to threaten Thay...

Well, I can dream...

I came up with some good stuff while I was at work today. Give me a day or so and I'll give you Ordu's Amazar in all its glory.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
726 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  08:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Sorry Kyrene, I wasn't trying to be cute with this but I have never considered my musings (as opposed to my published writing) to have the gravitas and 'realmslore imprimatur' of similar work by Eric Boyd, Steven Schend, Brian R James and the fabulous writers who frequent the place such as Erik Scott De Bie.
True, but at the very least quite a few of your musings in this scroll have been prepared articles, submitted (to Wizards or Paizo, or others) but just never published. And besides, if anyone using the 'Realmspeak' glossary as a reference doesn't think a specific item with you as reference is 'canonical enough' for them, they are free to disregard it. I'm not going to make that choice for them though and thereby limit (or pre-censor if you will) its content.

I also plan to trawl through the scrolls of those lumnaries you 'don't see your work the equal of' for anything they might have mused on and that could be applicable to the glossary.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  08:45:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Or a Namibian tribe...

Well, I can dream...

I came up with some good stuff while I was at work today. Give me a day or so and I'll give you Ordu's Amazar in all its glory.

-- George Krashos

With an extra helping of glory if you please.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  16:36:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You did that on purpose!

EDIT: but I can soooo use it!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 02 Aug 2010 16:53:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  00:22:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash, I once more stand in awe of your creative abilities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  01:25:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, would you marry me?

Seriously, I'm dropping this into Wednesday night's campaign. I've just the place for it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  04:39:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody get Lady K on the line!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  04:42:16  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then again, considering the Sage's to-do list, there's probably no need to hurry.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  05:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whether published or not, George's writing is pure gold and it's realmslore like this that reminds me why I first fell in love with the Realms. Kudos friend Krashos.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  06:29:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The truly wonderful thing is that this one "tiny" piece of lore put together more threads of thought and written information that I have than any single thing before it...just the mention of a "human Kiira" was more than enough to finish off my thoughts on SEVERAL levels...especially when coupled with this:

Quote (page 10 of the book "The Grand History of the Realms" by Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood):

quote:
"c. -18000 DR (est.)
Logical estimates suggest that the Citadel of the Raven [1276] was constructed in this period. Some scholars purport that the citadel is irrefutable evidence that a grand human nation existed on Faerun long before recorded history. Sages have further theorized that the barbarians of The Ride are the descendants of that once-great civilization."

Considering the location of The Ride...its relative distance from the raging storms of the Crown Wars...it could have went through thousands of years of civilization having never been known...a truly "Forgotten Realm" that ol' Krashos here has helped me pin down...and so now I'll be penning it down as well.

My thanks George!

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
726 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  10:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,

Time to start pestering you for 'Realmspeak' definitions.

What is the difference between "Impilturian" and "Impilturan"? I currently have is defined as:
  • Impilturian” – Common:- a term applied to Impilturan work, study, beliefs, and customs, and to items of their making (So saith George Krashos - November 14, 2008)

• Impilturan” – Common:- a term applied to the collective folk of Impiltur (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting by Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo)

• but may be wrong in that "Impilturan" also refers to the culture, and "Impilturian" only to items made in Impiltur.

Then, what are the following:
  • bluntquills” – Common:- something like a gossip writer? (So saith George Krashos - November 14, 2008)

• spellslay” – Common:- slay with spells (from ambush)? (So saith George Krashos - August 2, 2010)

• Can you elaborate?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 03 Aug 2010 13:15:50
    Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
    Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
    729 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  12:22:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

George,

(...)
    (...)
  • bolthole” – Common:- a pre-selected place of safety with living amenities (possibly on another plane)? (So saith George Krashos - August 2, 2010)

• Without stepping on Krash's turf, I think Bolthole is not a Realms-specific word. Webster-Miriam's online dictionary defines it as "a place of escape or refuge"?
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    726 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  13:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

George,

(...)
    (...)
  • bolthole” – Common:- a pre-selected place of safety with living amenities (possibly on another plane)? (So saith George Krashos - August 2, 2010)

• Without stepping on Krash's turf, I think Bolthole is not a Realms-specific word. Webster-Miriam's online dictionary defines it as "a place of escape or refuge"?

Oh, yes. Thanks Thauramarth, it's been so amended.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    726 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  20:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Wooly or Sage,

quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Krash, that is some good stuff. I just made a pdf out of that, and I'm putting it in the same folder as the published Wyrms of the North articles.

This is regarding Ouranalathra, "the Mistmaiden". Where are these PDFs (and I presume a lot of the other PDFs that are unofficially mirrored from WotC's site) archived here at the 'Keep? I can't seem to find them from any of the main links on the main Candlekeep page and would love to download the Ouranalathra one (I have long since downloaded all the others already from WotC's site).

Edited by - Kyrene on 03 Aug 2010 20:47:52
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  00:20:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Wooly or Sage,

quote:

Krash, that is some good stuff. I just made a pdf out of that, and I'm putting it in the same folder as the published Wyrms of the North articles.

This is regarding Ouranalathra, "the Mistmaiden". Where are these PDFs (and I presume a lot of the other PDFs that are unofficially mirrored from WotC's site) archived here at the 'Keep? I can't seem to find them from any of the main links on the main Candlekeep page and would love to download the Ouranalathra one (I have long since downloaded all the others already from WotC's site).

I don't think any of that stuff is archived on this site. I was making a pdf for myself, and putting it in my own archives.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
    Great Reader

USA
    4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  01:15:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Share much?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  01:22:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:

Wooly or Sage,

quote:

I don't think any of that stuff is archived on this site. I was making a pdf for myself, and putting it in my own archives.

Wooly has the right of it. I don't ever recall any of this material being archived at Candlekeep. I *could* certainly offer my own complied PDF for possible download... I suppose.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
    Great Reader

USA
    4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  01:50:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I'm BEGGING you guys for some info here!

I have a creative fire burning...and it has caused me to pound out over 5k words today for "The Ride" project...and I'm not even sure I can use it all!

Gimme, gimme, gimme...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  05:13:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Guys, that write-up is on page three of this thread.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
    Great Reader

USA
    4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  05:50:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Guys, that write-up is on page three of this thread.

Yes, yes it is...but all of your other information isn't.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    726 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  08:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Wooly or Sage,

quote:

Wooly has the right of it. I don't ever recall any of this material being archived at Candlekeep. I *could* certainly offer my own complied PDF for possible download... I suppose.

Oh. My mistake. I seem to recall (mistakenly as it turns out) that some of the FR (HTML) articles were being converted to PDF by the scribes here for archival on Candlekeep. My mind is going, as I've been suspecting for a while now...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  08:40:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Hmmm. Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar. And it sounds like something I would've said -- perhaps as a potential "To-Do" activity.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
    Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  22:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Hail thee, High Loremaster Krashos.

We know that merchants are powerful in Impiltur, but the craftsfolk and labourers have received less mention in the lore. At least one mention of 'merchant guilds' is canonical for Impiltur and I seem to recall guilds in Lyrabar being mentioned in the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy.

What can you tell us about Impilturan guilds? How do they compare to Waterdhavian guilds? Cormyrean ones? Do they receive Royal Charters? Are they powerful and monopolistic as in real history or are they mere 'kvetching clubs'?

Could you give a list (partial or otherwise) of which professions are organised in guilds in Impiltur? How geographically extensive these guilds are? What they do?

And, well, anything else you feel like sharing about them.

In fond hopes that this finds thee well,
    your obedient servant,
    Scribe Icelander.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
    Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
    Master of Realmslore

Australia
    6643 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  16:41:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Icelander

Hail thee, High Loremaster Krashos.

We know that merchants are powerful in Impiltur, but the craftsfolk and labourers have received less mention in the lore. At least one mention of 'merchant guilds' is canonical for Impiltur and I seem to recall guilds in Lyrabar being mentioned in the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy.

What can you tell us about Impilturan guilds? How do they compare to Waterdhavian guilds? Cormyrean ones? Do they receive Royal Charters? Are they powerful and monopolistic as in real history or are they mere 'kvetching clubs'?

Could you give a list (partial or otherwise) of which professions are organised in guilds in Impiltur? How geographically extensive these guilds are? What they do?

And, well, anything else you feel like sharing about them.

In fond hopes that this finds thee well,
    your obedient servant,
    Scribe Icelander.

Hmm, talk about a small topic.

Historically, the guilds of Impiltur date from the re-formation of the kingdom in 1097 DR and the ascension of King Imphras the Great. They arose from the fractious nature of the city-state alliance that Imphras had brought together when he united the realm again. Used to being autonomous in trade, the ruling strata of the cities of the region demanded and were granted regional concessions and left to "sort out" their own trade structure.

For many years this was a poor and badly run system, with age-old rivalries and prejudices defeating any attempts to get a cohesive, robust and competitive trade system operating within the kingdom. It was only with the crowning of Lashilmbrar that the trade guilds of Impiltur were brought into line beginning with his "Crown and Cart" decree in 1228 DR and culimnating in the Coin Conclave of 1233 DR where the presence of the king saw a system of guild law put into place that stressed cooperation, fair competition and harnessing of regional strengths and advantages.

The Coin Conclave saw the formalisation of trade guilds in the cities of Lyrabar, Sarshel, Hlammach and Dilpur with a clear geographic demarcation regarding areas of control. In a nod to the city-states of the Kingless Years, the guilds (called "laern" [singular and plural] in Impiltur) were named for the symbol of the city-state that they were based in and around. Hence the realm currently has the Two Moons laern (Dilpur), Redhorn laern (Hlammach), Blue Unicorn laern (Lyrabar) and the Threespires laern (Sarshel). The Uplands region also has its own laern (as of 1340DR by decree of Queen Sambryl) but this is the most fractious of the guilds and riven by internal turmoil with no strong leader and significant competing interests due to the nature of the large geographic area it encompasses and the very different trades that it brings under its aegis. It is known as the Stonehand laern.

Each guild is organised into "narnath" (singular: "narnoth") which are the various trades which have voting status within each guild. The different types of narnath vary from guild to guild throughout Impiltur although the 'standard' ones such as woodworkers, carters, fishers, masons, smiths, weavers, herders, and farmers are represented in every laern. Differences in laern are usually through the composition of a narnoth with some encompassing a number of vocations while others being more specialised (i.e. shipwrights, sail makers and fishers all in one narnoth or separated into two or three etc.). It is notable that the laern of Impiltur are made up of solely agricultural, trade and animal husbandry interests. Groups devoted to the arts such as musicians, painters and even sculptors are not usually guild-affiliated nor are those devoted to the study of magic or knowledge (i.e. sages and loremasters).

Historically each of the guilds has had a 'focus' area where it is considered to be a market leader. Traditionally, this means that Lyrabar leads the way on all matters relating to mining and stonemasonry, Hlammach on fishing, Sarshel on 'high farming' (large crops et al.) and Dilpur on 'low farming' (smaller crops and orchards et al). The Uplands has a bit of everything and tenaciously fights to get traction among the age-old guilds in matters that affect it significantly (ala charges for transportation of goods - which for the Uplands is naturally higher than for the Easting Coast cities).

Each guild is led by a conclave of individuals usually numbering 3 but sometimes up to 5 who have a a titular head (the High Factor) and who are voted in by members at a tri-annual gathering. Membership is determined by vote but in modern times that process has been delegated to a sub-council known as the Coinmasters who deal with the financial side of the guild (responsible for tithes, policing pricing, membership entry fees [which vary] and submissions to the crown on matters affecting trade and commerce).

The Crown in modern times does not interfere in guild business nor put in place strictures or laws pertaining to commerce, save and except in situations where the guilds have attempted to manipulate or influence trade and supply in areas considered to be sensitive (i.e. food in times of shortage and weapons and armor most any time).

I hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 11 Sep 2010 17:27:45
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  17:08:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Oh, Krash, that's definitely going in your "Candlekeep Impiltur lore PDF compilation."

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
    Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  23:59:14  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Thank you very much for your kind reply about guilds, High Loremaster. Who knows, perhaps a follow-up question on that will find its way to you later?

For now, I have a simpler query.

What year did Prince Wendren Balindre take office in Telflamm? And does he have a family? Heirs? How many Balindres are there living officially in Telflamm?

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
    Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
    Master of Realmslore

Australia
    6643 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  07:29:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Icelander

Thank you very much for your kind reply about guilds, High Loremaster. Who knows, perhaps a follow-up question on that will find its way to you later?

For now, I have a simpler query.

What year did Prince Wendren Balindre take office in Telflamm? And does he have a family? Heirs? How many Balindres are there living officially in Telflamm?

Wendren succeeded his uncle, the canny and calculating Heldrin, in the Year of the Crown (1351 DR). Heldrin was childless and Wendren the brightest (and most sycophantic) of his five nephews (Wendren had an older brother Dellen (a drunkard braggart that travelled throughout Thesk seeking to fleece unsuspecting investors with promises of mining or trading riches, using his family name as collateral. Wendren had him slain by assassins in the Year of the Serpent (1359 DR)) and still has a younger brother Loern who is a sea captain and often absent from Telflamm. The brothers get on but don't have much to do with one another.

Wendren's cousins numbered the handsome and much-admired Uldrith and the twins Gorthen and Feslin (born of the same father, Tildrith - Heldrin's youngest brother - with Wendren's father Phelarn being the middle brother. Tildrith was married twice, firstly to the beautiful if rather frail of constitution Laneetha who died in the short-lived "Black Ague" sickness outbreak in the Year of the Lurking Death (1322 DR) and the formidable and conniving Murla - known to all as the "Scarlet Flame" for her cascading (now dyed by magic) red tresses who lives still in her seventies, her youth maintained by magic and her wits maintained by a steadfast devotion to the goddess Sune).

Uldrith was considered the heir apparent to Heldrin (although in truth his uncle did not hold him in too high a regard, considering him a 'stareye' - the polite term for someone who is naive in the Realms - and not tough enough to rule Telflamm) until he took sick in the waning days of the Year of the Bridle (1349 DR) and was left crippled and blind by a malady that defied all attempts to heal it whether by magic or through more mundane medical efforts. Uldrith committed suicide some months afterward, unable to cope with the constant pain that wracked his body, and Wendren was anointed as heir of the Balindre family. Of course none know that Uldrith's malady was as a result of a rare poison, known as "minth" and hailing from the Tashalar which Wendren had a pleasure lass ply on a drunken Uldrith, thereby assuring his succession to the rulership of Telflamm.

Wendren's twin cousins are both his best friends and cohorts in the nefarious plots he weaves to try and wrest back the power that the Balindre family has lost over the centuries. As such he seeks to undermine the merchants who hold sway in the trade lifeblood of the city (replacing them with individuals or concerns that favour him and his or are beholden to the Balindres in some way) and carefully promotes rivals to the control of the Shadowmasters. Gorthen and Feslin are his main weapons in this regard, being loyal but not overly bright participants in his schemes and serving as both "muscle" and trusted messengers. They are both married and have two children each, with Gorthen having two boys and Feslin having two girls.

Of course Wendren is not nearly as clever as he thinks and the Shadowmasters know almost all of his plans and schemes, having subverted his long-time mistress Ulthanna many winters ago. He is married to the now portly Rithla of the rich and numerous Mornspear merchant family in Phsant (the family head, Hiordath Mornspear is one of the oligarchs of Thesk) but the marriage is a loveless one, the passion ebbing over the years as Rithla's waistline grew. They have three children Olaera (aged 22 and being readied for a politically advantageous marriage), Paerla (aged 19 and a mannish, swordmaiden in training) and Rendren (aged 14 and the heir to his father's throne but at this time only a spoilt, wilful but devious adolescent).

There you have it - a snapshot of the Balindres of Telflamm. Not the best family in the Realms, but certainly not the worst.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 25 Mar 2023 02:49:52
    Go to Top of Page

Icelander
    Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  19:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Who, then, was Prince Laric of Telflamm who was assassinated by a hathran on a diplomatic mission to Rashemen sometime after the Tuigan Horde, but before 1369 DR?

He appears in 'Thieves' Honour', a short story in Realms of Infamy. The story indicates that he is the ruling prince and the objective of his assassination was to replace him with a shapeshifting double (which succeeded, but might have been detected later).

The story can probably be dated more precisely upon careful reading. The aftermath of the Tuigan is referenced and it seems not long after that, but there might be other clues there for someone familiar with Rashemi politics.

Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000