Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2015 :  03:00:38  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christmas came early. I imagine there are several other lurkers who read everything you post, but don't say anything. This is pretty much the only scroll I post on for instance, but I read several others. Literally everyone is excited when you post anything.
I haven't had a chance to read Sarshel yet, but I am stoaked. Thank you George!
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  20:54:26  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well uhh, I'll be the double-first to say that this was bloody brilliant and went far beyond what I was hoping for. George, my Impiltur binder is full to bursting. Even if you don't necessarily always see it, we all love and fully appreciate your continued support!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  21:57:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As soon as I find a new job I will give this my full attention but at first glance it looks awesome as always

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  22:33:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, more awesomeness for all. Thank you George!

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2015 :  08:45:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George, I've been having a look and a delve into other regions and I'm trying to add some detail to the vilhon reach just after the fall of jhaamdath.
Various snippets indicate that Ilmaters church entered the region shortly after the tsunami and other snippets indicate they suffered badly at the hands of various tyrants (I'm assuming with civilisation collapsed in the area people congregated around outposts and monasteries in the mountains but were soon seized by despots who did their usual evil thing).
Now I checked the monastery of the yellow rise which I think was founded by st sollars the twice martyred. Indicators are that it was founded over 1000 years ago which could mean it was founded around -250 dr to -199 when the exodus to from jhaamdath across the inner sea was at its greatest.
So I'm wondering if st sollars wasn't a calishite (might change his name a bit to soll'ar and then a suitable surname) who led his church into the vilhon to alleviate the suffering of those still alive, then he is killed by evil types, only to be raised and lead his flock north to impiltur (where he dies again sacrificing himself to save them from hobgoblins and the like).

Have you had any thoughts on st sollars or any other ilmatari saints from the vilhon.

Also is st faeran a dwarf by any chance (faern being a dwarfish word)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2015 :  10:24:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Hi George, I've been having a look and a delve into other regions and I'm trying to add some detail to the vilhon reach just after the fall of jhaamdath.
Various snippets indicate that Ilmaters church entered the region shortly after the tsunami and other snippets indicate they suffered badly at the hands of various tyrants (I'm assuming with civilisation collapsed in the area people congregated around outposts and monasteries in the mountains but were soon seized by despots who did their usual evil thing).
Now I checked the monastery of the yellow rise which I think was founded by st sollars the twice martyred. Indicators are that it was founded over 1000 years ago which could mean it was founded around -250 dr to -199 when the exodus to from jhaamdath across the inner sea was at its greatest.
So I'm wondering if st sollars wasn't a calishite (might change his name a bit to soll'ar and then a suitable surname) who led his church into the vilhon to alleviate the suffering of those still alive, then he is killed by evil types, only to be raised and lead his flock north to impiltur (where he dies again sacrificing himself to save them from hobgoblins and the like).

Have you had any thoughts on st sollars or any other ilmatari saints from the vilhon.

Also is st faeran a dwarf by any chance (faern being a dwarfish word)

Over a thousand years ago in my book in "just over" and given the source you quote is talking from a 1350s DR point of view, that would mean that the Monastery was founded from about 200 DR, not 400 years earlier. This makes sense because the Jhaamdathan diaspora wasn't immediate in terms of reaching the lands of the Easting Coast. Moving into the interior would have taken time also.

St Sollars is an in-house TSR joke as Ed Sollars was laid off by the company twice, explaining the sobriquet. In FR terms, the "Twice-Martyred"moniker is intriguing and worthy of a story, but I don't think there is anything that points to him being Calishite. As noted in my saints work, the Blessed of Ilmater are routinely regional and so I'd have him part of the diaspora from Jhaamdath and leader of a group of Ilmateri faithful who ultimately found the Monastery of the Yellow Rose.

But the history of the Bloodstone lands is totally open, so you are free to do what you like!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 18 Dec 2015 10:25:52
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2015 :  11:19:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it was more the mention of Ilmater moving into jhaamdath in -240 ish that made me think calishite. Gods of course don't need to move anywhere and it would be a waste for him to do so, therefore it must be the clergy that moved into the vilhon region (led by a saint) to alleviate all the suffering in the aftermath of the tsunami (plagues, famine, murder, all the usual things that follow natural disasters).

For the clergy to move into the region they must have come from somewhere and since Ilmater was a calishite god (although indicators are that calimshan and Jhaamdath's pantheons were merged by that time) it made sense to me for sollars to be calishite, but that was of course assuming he led the mission into jhaamdath in the first place. If he came later (around the 200 dr period) then it's more likely he was native to the reach.

As always I'd prefer I defer to your judgement since impiltur is your baby and sollars is an impiltur icon. So sollars should be 200 dr onwards at the end of the ilmatari mission mission. One might assume the ilmatari were driven from the area with the emigration to impiltur and elsewhere since Ilmaters presence is much lessened in the area in modern times when it should have been greater given all the plagues and wars.

My evilness is wondering if sollars wasn't an accidental saint who perhaps faked his death and fled to the remote corner of faerun for anonymity, only to be discovered and become a symbol and then slain for real. But that's probably just my evil brain working overtime

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2015 :  00:06:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<<St Sollars is an in-house TSR joke as Ed Sollars was laid off by the company twice, explaining the sobriquet. In FR terms, the "Twice-Martyred"moniker is intriguing and worthy of a story>>

See, now THAT is the stuff you never learn except for places like here. That's kinda funny. I don't ever remember an Ed Sollars from TSR, but then life has been a whirlwind of people writing on the realms.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  08:58:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George, as the resident jergal and netheril expert have you any thoughts on the dagger of jathiman. I've only just discovered its existence (my own fault for ignoring faiths and pantheons all these years) and it's history with the cult of jathiman sounds interesting. I'm just struggling to work it into netheril and wondered if you had any thoughts and ideas.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  11:10:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Hi George, as the resident jergal and netheril expert have you any thoughts on the dagger of jathiman. I've only just discovered its existence (my own fault for ignoring faiths and pantheons all these years) and it's history with the cult of jathiman sounds interesting. I'm just struggling to work it into netheril and wondered if you had any thoughts and ideas.

I'm pretty sure that my "Netheril" and "Jergal" expertise is about as extensive as anyone's here at the Keep given how scattered and incoherent the lore is on that fabled realm.

There are no obvious ties or links between existing Netheril lore and the Dagger of Jathiman sidebar. As with the majority of musings on Netheril, you are on your own unfortunately. Whatever I came up with on the fly would be easily rivalled by anything you came up with.

In truth, I find Netheril rather daunting. I keep going back to it like a moth to a flame, but the desire to do it "right" is tempered by the fact that it is a huge, huge undertaking and would be based on bad fundamentals. I'd have to break it down to the bare basics and build it up again, but given that the undertaking would serve only as further historical background lore, what currently exists probably suffices in that regard.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but if feel like if I dip a toe into Netheril, I might slip, fall in and drown!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  11:42:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I can relate to the drowning. It took me months to work through collecting all the lore, never mind reorganising, revising, and re working it. I'm now at over 100 pages of info (some new, some repeated, some altered slightly to work with the new vision)

I found it helpful to treat each era as a separate entity (rather like separate countries). I then developed the lore in each era on its own but ever mindful of links between different eras and regions around it. It also helped since so many hooks spanned many eras to work on them across eras as they arose (so I worked on the selskar order over three eras at the same time)

The problem I now have as I near the end is that my own version of netheril is so distinct that I need to reference and cross reference across toe versions and multiple eras which causes massive headaches.

I have no idea what to do about the cult of jathiman. The cult infusing people with magic to slay gods is not inconsistent with netheril but I don't know why jergal would bother with it since he is a god himself. I was initially thinking about making the cult and dagger be much older and involve jergal pre ascension but the cult is stated as netherese.

Latest thoughts are that the cult is netherese but born from sarrukh (the name reminds me of serpent god names) ruins and writings about body twisting magics. Jergal used the cult to find/forge the dagger (remade from an older item) and then destroyed the crumbling sarrukh arena and cult (or it could just have been an accidental magical conflagration born of their own incompetence).

Of course if you can come up with better id much prefer it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  12:03:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Hey George,
i would like to ask you informations about the Grey Forest, anything you feel inclined to share and, if that's too much, anything regarding the mid 1370s. There exist only scattered canonical references to the Grey Forest and it's inhabitants, much of those you wove together and developed in your High History of Impiltur. Beside that scant information i could only find short paragraphs in the 3E FRCS that say the forest is home to hobgoblins with a vampire or werewolf chief and that the last elves of the forest transformed themselves into grey trees. I have some difficulty reconciling this with all other Impiltur lore (hobgoblin hordes always coming from the east, presence of half-elves among the Lord of Imphras II with ties to the forest) but whatever. So, here comes the barrage of questions:

I love barrages of questions. I might take months to answer them, such as in this case, but that's not to say I'm not thinking about them along the way!

quote:
- Who are the inhabitants in the mid 1370s?

Moon elves, hobgoblins, orcs, werewolves, and bandits. Abutting the Earthfast Mountains as it does, the "baddies" are more predominant in the northern reaches of the woodlands where they can steal away into the mountains if significantly pressed or pursued.

As previously noted, the hobgoblins of the modern-day Grey Forest are remnants of the horde that assaulted the lands of Impiltur in 1095 DR. Located there and in areas of the nearby Earthfast Mountains, their small numbers and relative isolation saw them slide slowly into a more barbaric existence than most hobgoblin communities, typified by the name they adopted for themselves, which was the "Naerk" or "lost" in their tongue. This slide was compounded by a loss of their shamanic traditions and more lip service than significant worship of Malglubiyet.

quote:
- Are there still elves? If yes, of what subrace(s)?

Moon elves as above. Three, remaining small families: Moonshimmer, Jhaelath, and Starflame. There used to be more, but time, raiders and the battles against the hobgoblins in 1095 DR got rid of the majority. Perhaps a total of 200 pure blood elves remain in the woodlands these days. A very small number in real terms.

quote:
- What of half-elves?

Yes, there are half-elves living in the forest for the elves of Vedrymmel were not isolationist and were prepared to have half-elves as part of their society - even if they had a specific name - the Irzenath - and were predominately akin to a servant caste. Many half-elves lived on in the forest after the fall of that realm, but there are no large groups, just a few families. The most "famous" half-elves to wander the forests are the twins Larlaen and Larimbrar Heltharn, scions of the Lords of Imphras II and Moonshimmers through their paternal grandfather's lineage.

quote:
- Any particular fey presence?

There's not a huge fey presence. A few faerie dragons, but that's about it. The Dryad Queens of Larlotha are now a dim, distant memory.

quote:
- Since i suppose the Silver Arrow Pact determined absolute elven sovereignity inside the woodlands but by the 727 there doesn't seem to be any organised elven presence and by 889 Impiltur is sending it's own armed forces inside the forest to solve problems, then i must ask: with the end of Vedrymmell is the Silver Arrow Pact still upheld? If yes, by whom on the elven part?

At the time of the great fight against the hobgoblins in 1095 DR, the Silver Arrow was kept by the Aernthraar moon elves, the largest family in the woodlands and de-facto leaders of the various elves residing there. There were perhaps 1000 or so moon elves living in the Gray Forest at the time and in response to Imphras' call, some 200 elven warriors emerged from the forest boughs to slay, harass and harry those hobgoblins menacing the environs of Lyrabar both before and after their largest host was shattered by the men of Impiltur. Almost a half of their number fell in those minor battles and skirmishes and this acted as a catalyst for a few families, including the Aernthraars to travel to Evereska or Evermeet.

quote:
- Moon elves ruled the forest for a lot of time (-6850 to -1335 with Larlotha and then 75 to 727 with Vedrymmell), are there any significant ruins, buried treasures/surprises or particular legacies of this elven presence?

Richard Lee Byers' Rage trilogy hints at some of the things to be found in the forest. I can't say I've ever thought up anything specific, but may come up with a few things in time to come.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Khondar
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  12:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Khondar's Homepage Send Khondar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,

Thanks for being generous with both your time and lore. I have lurked and posted on this site for years (lurking mostly) and always enjoy your posts.

For what it's worth - I very much appreciate still seeing you active and freely giving your time. Much appreciated!

Now - more dwarf lore.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2015 :  08:41:27  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful!

I'm off to digest this new lore.

Thanks George!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2016 :  03:16:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, Krash!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2016 :  09:40:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a moment there I was super excited to see something about hoarfaern, but then I realised it was just another of George's awesome pieces on impiltur.
Excellent stuff, I can't wait to see what's on the realms secretariat when it's migration is done

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2016 :  23:12:07  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love reading about Soargar's Legacy, good stuff George.
George, I've been wondering about the Lords of Imphras II, specifically Silaunbrar and Soargilm. Honestly I think I'm just wondering who they are as individuals, what defines them besides the Council. For instance, I imagine Limbrar's life revolves around being a leader of the Knights of the Sacred Shrike, while Simgar is busy with the Warswords.
Happy new year all!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2016 :  00:17:51  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is good stuff. I like the competing claims of ownership, that sounds like a whole lot of trouble (fun) just waiting to happen if Horfaern's Bane were to end up in the hands of an adventuring group.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2016 :  00:43:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

This is good stuff. I like the competing claims of ownership, that sounds like a whole lot of trouble (fun) just waiting to happen if Horfaern's Bane were to end up in the hands of an adventuring group.

In relation to Soargar's Legacy, what I've been trying to weave into the write-ups over what is now many, many years is the fact that while Impiltur claims them all, several are in the hands of individuals and groups who have just as valid a claim of ownership - Auglanar being an example of that given it is dwarven in origin. Another aspect that I will explore further in time, is when one of the blades is very old and claimed by another entity with a more "valid" claim of ownership. Good stuff for campaign tension and nuance if you want to weave them into your games.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2016 :  01:40:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

I love reading about Soargar's Legacy, good stuff George.
George, I've been wondering about the Lords of Imphras II, specifically Silaunbrar and Soargilm. Honestly I think I'm just wondering who they are as individuals, what defines them besides the Council. For instance, I imagine Limbrar's life revolves around being a leader of the Knights of the Sacred Shrike, while Simgar is busy with the Warswords.
Happy new year all!

Silaunbrar is the youngest of three sons of Delmatha Heltharn and her husband, the elf Maerstar Moonshimmer of the Grey Forest. Born in 1317 DR, Silaunbrar has taken more to human ways than his two older brothers Helimbraun and Simgar (of the three, Simgar is the one who most cleaves to elven thinking and his heritage, notwithstanding his devotion to Tyr). He is a strict adherent to the law (some claim him to be pedantic and "nitpicky") and suffers no fools. He is a workaholic - often checking in on bureaucrats and Crown agents and employees at odd times and without notice and has nothing in his life to indicate any interest in leisure pursuits or hobbies. He is married to the human noblewoman Larnatha Caerdal but is childless at this time. Theirs is not a warm or loving relationship and as one observer has wryly commented when the issue of Silaunbrar's lack of progeny has come up, "He'll have to bed her first if there is to be any good news on that front!". Silaunbrar wears his blonde hair long, covering his ears, is well-built but not tall standing at about 5'8". He smiles rarely, has a habit of chewing his bottom lip when in deep thought, plays with his signet ring when impatient or bored and has a snorting laugh on the rare occasions he is amused (which is probably why he seldom laughs). He favours plain dress, blue and greys predominating but wears comfortable brown leather boots of elven make almost constantly when not in battle dress. Common speech expressions are: "How say you?", "Erran's Sacrifice!" (when shocked or excited - a saying of the Church of Tyr after a famous martyr of the faith), "Think on it", and "Show prudence not zeal".

Soargilm (b. 1313 DR) is the eldest son of Lasheela Heltharn and Lord Derbraun Harrowbrace and is very much a loner in the council. He is somewhat estranged from his warlike, younger brother Haelimbrar. His brother Imbraun is deceased. He is on good terms with his nephew Engarth, who is now on the Council in place of his father and resides in Hlammach, but sees him rarely as although he too is ostensibly "stationed" there he actually resides in the Royal City of Filur. That move occurred in about 1362 DR and since that time, Soargilm and his fellow lord Rilimbraun have acted as the "wise advisers" to the Queen-Regent. Soargilm is not martial, is devoted to Ilmater and has been seen in armor on only a single occasion in his life, namely the day the Council of Lords was ceremonially proclaimed. He is tall and thin, balding with salt and pepper hair and a moustache and short beard. He always wears comfortable clothes, brown predominating, and goes barefoot in summer months save when on official "Lord's business". He talks quietly, has rarely been seen angry, and loves children with whom he has infinite patience. He is known to be a shrewd judge of character, is adept at detecting falsehood and shady dealings and is steadfastly loyal to Sambryl. He is concerned at some of the "firebrand" attitudes of the young Imbrar II. Common speech expressions are: "Say on", "I wish it were so", "With burdens comes wisdom" and "The saints forfend ..."

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 05 Jan 2016 11:15:51
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2016 :  02:46:23  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why it should surprise me, but the level of detail always blows me away. Significantly more than what I was expecting George. I appreciate how you expand on other Lords as well, beyond just familial ties. Thank you very much, George.
That response time tho!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2016 :  20:29:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always the unexpected delight. More please

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  02:30:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my god. I thought I had all your impiltur lore to date and yet here is something over a decade old that I knew nothing about. Now I am worried about what other goodies I may have missed in my reluctance to master the realms L archive before it's destruction.

I sincerely hope you find other such goodies once posted there and share them here to give them an audience once more.

I like the secret name of amaunator and the bit about verraketh, I hope you won't mind if I use them. Inspired lore as always

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  03:25:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now you're just making me feel old. Elminster-old.

It's been a good holiday break. Spending time in the Realms is always fun and relaxing.

I wonder what else might be conjured up.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  08:32:51  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My version of Palreth was messed up, so thank you for reproducing this for us George. Dazzler, I thought I PMed you the link to this entry in the Realms-L list over a year ago, I meant to if I didn't.

George, I had wondered about any portals active in Impiltur, both to other locations in Faerun and extra-planar. I would imagine there to be a few that were Abyssal in nature. Also, How do Idriane and Limbrar fit into the Heltharn family? Everyone else comes from either Sambral and Baranth, Lasheela and Derbraun, or Delmatha and Maerstar (or married in -> Oriseus). One of these days I'm going to do a family tree; with the information you've given us it would almost be complete; it was pretty full back when all I had was from Champions of Valor.

Awesome way to start out the year
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  10:41:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure some of this has been posted previously, but here is the background for the Lords of Imphras II:

The Council of Lords comprised of a dozen individuals made up of descendants of the sixth and last son of Imphras II, Fylraun. Fylraun had a son Elphras (born 1246 DR) named after his dead older brother. Elphras in turn had three daughters: Sambral (born in 1285 DR), Lasheela (born in 1287 DR) and Delmatha (born 1289 DR). These three sisters (or the “Dowager Aunts” as they came to be known) were Queen-Regent Sambryl’s older second cousins and bore many children who all grew to be virtuous paladins.

Sambral married Lord Banarth Huntsilver of Cormyr and her children were Kyrlraun (born 1309 DR), Imbra (born 1310 DR), Lashilaun (born 1312 DR), Rilimbraun (born 1315 DR), and Rilaunyr (born 1319 DR). Lasheela married Lord Derbraun Harrowbrace and her sons were Soargilm (born 1313 DR), Limbrar (1315 DR), Imbraun (born 1318 DR) and Haelimbrar (born 1321 DR). Delmatha married Maerstar Moonshimmer of the Grey Forest and her half-elven sons were Sambrar (born 1311 DR), Simgar (born 1313 DR) and Silaunbrar (born 1317 DR).

As at 1374 DR and prior to the accession of King Imbrar II, the Council of Lords has lost the following original members:

Kyrlraun
Imbra
Lashilaun
Sambrar
Imbraun

Kyrlraun died of heartstop in 1370 DR and his son Rangrim succeeded him on the Council but was slain in 1373 DR by forces of the Cult of the Dragon. His younger brother Delimbrar replaced him.

Imbra was incapacitated by a “brainbolt” (stroke) in 1360 DR, which left him partially paralyzed. This condition deteriorated as time went on and his power of speech departed in 1366 DR and he died a few short months later. In the intervening period – with the agreement of the Council – his son-in-law Oriseus of Tsurlagol, a cleric/paladin of Helm, aided him in his council duties. With his demise, and with Imbra’s only child and daughter Eanral not interested or suited in taking up his position, the Council conferred with the Queen-Regent and agreed to co-opt Oriseus into Imbra’s position despite him not being of the Heltharn bloodline. This was done out of respect to Imbra who was beloved of all on the Council and the Queen-Regent in particular.

Lashilaun was slain by demons (magically summoned and tasked with his slaying by the vengeful Soneillon) in the fringes of the Rawlinswood in late 1359 DR when in disguise as the paladin Mornaeth, riding with the Twilight Riders of Damara (he had taken up this guise to allow his cousin Haelimbrar respite from this important mission of the Lords of Imphras II after that individual had been with that group for some 4 months). His daughter Idriane (b. 1337 DR) succeeded him on the Council on his death.

Sambrar and Imbraun both died in unfortunate circumstances in 1371 DR when en-route to by sea to attend on the Royal Court of Cormyr and pass on the condolences of the realm on the death of King Azoun IV. Whilst approaching the Neck, their ship was waylaid by a horde of koalinth rising up out of the depths of the Haunted Plains of Serôs. Their personal ship and their two warship escorts were holed and dragged down to the depths, with both Lords never seen again. As a consequence of this tragedy, Sambrar and Imbraun’s respective sons, Helimbraun (b. 1338 DR) and Engarth (b. 1342 DR) took their fathers’ seats on the Council.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 23 Aug 2018 12:09:40
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  11:14:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't ever remember reading about soneillon killing one of the lords. Makes me wonder If it was an act of opportunism or part of a bigger plan and perhaps his replacement is a pawn of soneillon in some way (like her confidante is under soneillons sway or she carries a magic item that soneillon can scry through).

Have you ever considered doing a sourcebook with this stuff. If I ever get round to doing an alternate campaign setting your impiltur would be an awesome den of demonic intrigue and corruption with a whiter than white veneer over the top.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  20:23:38  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose I never thought to take it one more generation and to see that Idriane was Lashilaun's daughter, and thus of that line. You had previously stated that Lashilaun had died unexpectedly of heartstop in 1364, and I'm wondering if this was the "official story" and what you've just mentioned is the truth kept from the public? It was also stated that Imbra was killed by orc raiders and Imbraun died by the same Wasting Sickness which slew the heir Imphras V. I'm not trying to be snarky by pointing this out, I'm just curious if there's a reason for the differences. Here's the post:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos (April 18, 2014)

With the passing of the years, there have been five new appointments to the council due to death caused by old age or misadventure. Seven out of the original twelve children of the Dowager Aunts remain on the Council. Of their cousins who once sat with them, Kyrlraun died of heartstop in 1370 DR and was succeeded by his son Rangrim. Lord Rangrim’s recent demise at the hands of the Cult of the Dragon in the Year of Rogue Dragons (1373 DR) (see The Rage by Richard Lee Byers) has seen him replaced by his younger brother Delimbrar. Of the others, Lord Imbra fell to orc raiders in 1359 DR and was replaced with his brother-in-law Oriseus of Ilmwatch, Lord Lashilaun died unexpectedly of heartstop in 1364 DR and was succeeded by his daughter Idriane, Lord Sambrar retired from the Council due to ill-health and was succeeded by his son Helimbraun and Lord Imbraun died of the terrible wasting sickness that slew the heir to the throne Imphras V in 1363 DR, and was succeeded by his son Engarth.

I'm on board for the sourcebook, but then again my binder I've printed this out in sort of serves as such.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  20:56:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well either George needs a new editor or its a clever ruse and as you say one set of stories is likely to be the official word while the other is what actually happened.

Looking at the most recent post it looks like an awful lot of the Lords that died recently did so under suspicious circumstances with Lashilaun being the first and being killed by Soneillon no less (the others were also likely killed by her machinations in an attempt to remove the old guard and replace them with new lords that might be less loyal or less skilled or have personalities at odds with the remaining old guard and possibly have less respect for Sambryl, and some may even have connections to Soneillon - knowingly or not).

Imbra was probably ill for quite some time (1359 onwards) before suffering the stroke in 1360 DR and retiring. The unexplained and uncurable illness likely prompted the cover story in 1360 especially after the disappearance of Lashilaun a few days later.

Lashilaun was secretly adventuring with the Twilight Riders and so was probably absent for some time which gives the disparity between his actual death and the official story in 1363 DR (giving them enough time to train and prepare Idriane.

Sambrar and Imbraun I cant begin to think of an explanation of the dates unless they were actually afflicted with mysterious illnesses from 1359 onwards - the same illnesses that afflicted Imbra. But these two actually recovered (or sold their souls for survival) but disappeared into the depths. I wouldn't be surprised if Soneillon was connected to the Koalinth given her possession of the ship carrying the princess of Impiltur that was to wed the prince of Cormyr long ago, she probably has some familiarity with the evil creatures in the Sea of Fallen Stars.

That's just what I would do with it though but I bet George has something much better (and sorry for cluttering up your thread George but I love debating your work).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2016 :  02:00:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whilst I love Dazzlerdal's attempts to give deeper meaning to my recent post on the Lords, I can honestly say that I tried to spice up the demise of the various Lords a tad and retro-fitted new death stories (the date for Kyrlraun's death has been edited and changed to match the 1370 DR however as that was not a big change).

There are a couple of reasons for this, both specific and general.

In terms of the specifics, I like the new version because it adds a bit of spice and intrigue to Impiltur (and thereby enhances any potential campaigns set there) and also fixes a first version that was both ... well ... boring and wrong. In terms of the "boring", death by orc raiders isn't particularly inspired and I like the segue for Oriseus from outlander to trusted helper (and making him from Tsurlagol explains the devotion to Helm - which was required due to his description in the Rage - and also sets up a sub-plot given that the Church of Helm has been trying to get an "in" in Impiltur for decades. There's no reason he couldn't have resided in Ilmwatch before being appointed to the Council however). As for the "wrong", I keep forgetting that paladins can't die of disease - so having Imbraun die of plague doesn't work.

As for the "broad", my Impiltur work is in constant flux. I have over the years refined, changed, or deleted whole bunches of stuff (you can see that from more recent edits to old posts in this thread) as ideas have gelled or been found to be a bit "weak" as my vision for this kingdom develops. A recent example is that my "Imbrar's Inheritance" posts are different than those posted on the old REALMS-L in small and larger ways to account for further work/ideas that have occurred since. I make no apologies for this as my work is unofficial, done for fun and I expect changed by anyone who uses it as part of their Realms in any event.

I have in the last few months become more organised regarding my Impiltur work however, as part of a general clean up of my Realms information and sources and an attempt to move to a digital FR database. I hope therefore that these lapses in memory/changes in direction will become fewer as time goes on.

As for a sourcebook, at the rate I am producing lore I'm likely to be in my 60s before there is anything that could be considered such. We'll be at 10E by that stage!

As always, thanks for taking an interest.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 04 Jan 2016 02:01:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000