Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  13:23:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amarel_Derakanor

I got another question for you, George!

In the 3rd edition 'Underdark' tome, on page 133, one can find information about the city of Ched Nasad, the city of shimmering webs.... And information about a Lawful Evil male adult blue dragon Sorcerer, of 12th level.

It says that he was living in the city disguised as a drow wizard named Quevven Jusztiirn, but his real name is 'Krashos Morueme'!

Now, Krashos is'nt the most common name around, so I'm wondering if there might be a connection somewhere.... With you, that is.

Well, the reference to "me" came a bit earlier than that in 'Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark', thanks to Eric Boyd. At the time, when I read the draft, I suggested he go with an anagram such as Karsosh to make it a little less obvious, but he insisted. That's not the only 'in' joke in the book, there are a few others. But yes, I've had the good fortune to be immortalised in FR canon, joining other luminaries of the Realms, a few of which frequent these Boards.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 06 Nov 2008 13:27:26
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  13:25:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Oh man, the Fallen Kingdom project.

What is the Fallen Kingdom Project? Did it see the light of day? What is it? Where is it?

I know what/where the Fallen Kingdom was in Faerun but I don't know what this 'project' relates to specifically. But I'd like to!

The "Fallen Kingdom Project" was a part of the aborted FR Encyclopedia project that Steven Schend got up and running but realised in the end would consume far too many TSR/WotC resources and take too much time to bring to fruition.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  13:48:58  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Six minutes! You are faster than greased lightning! Thanks for the reply, it was something I've been wondering for some time, now....
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  00:48:27  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one is about a post you made to Ed's scroll in 2006 regarding the Cormyr Royal Succession document, but I decided that my original question was better posed to the document's current guardian. I have another one for you, though:

quote:

Posted by George Krashos 05 Feb 2006 22:53:29

THO has it right as always, the Cormyr Lineage exists in exacting detail and has been in the hands of WotC for a year or so now. You must understand however that it is a nebulous document of sorts - because Ed keeps churning out the realmslore on Cormyr, and we "Keepers of the Lineage" (Garen Thal is its current custodian) are always playing catch up and Mr Fixit. You should have seen the scrambling that followed the publication of "Elminster's Daughter"! I very much hope that it will see the light of day and soon - it would make a splendid web enhancement for a "Cormyr: the Forest Kingdom" regional sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

I guess we'll never see such a sourcebook, but it would have been the next thing from Wizards after the Grand History that I would have happily purchased... and then the Spellplague came along. I'm not optimistic that Brian can answer my questions either, but maybe you can answer this one for me: Why is the succession document still under NDA after the publication of the lineage of succession in the GHotR and the subsequent obliteration of consistency that is the Spellplague?

Just wondering.

Re: Amarel: As you can tell, I liked what Kyrene had to say too. I may pull it, though... my sig is getting rather bloated, and you're spreading the Gospel of Kyrene, so I feel less delinquent if I remove it now...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 07 Nov 2008 00:56:45
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  01:36:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, simply because it contains work originally created by Ed for TSR. As in, he had a bunch of Cormyr lore on the lineage of kings in that realm that was supplied for the Ol' Grey Box. That's why you got a snippet of the line of monarchs there.

Sure, there has been a huge amount of work done to the document since, and it has received constant updates as more lore has unfolded, but the kernel of the document, the skeleton as it were, belongs to TSR/WotC. We could provide you with the flesh, but we'd have to delete all the names that make up the skeleton. And that wouldn't be all that useful.

I personally think that no NDA should apply to the lineage anymore. Clearly it's unlikely to see any real use by WotC with the timejump and the advent of 4E. This is especially so considering that Cormyr is "done" now from a DDI point of view - thanks Brian (squared)!

But wiser heads than mine have to make that decision, and I'm not going to upset and annoy people like Ed and Brian by deciding to post the copy that Brian has generously provided to me to keep me in the loop.

I will however try and get my butt into gear and get my Impiltur lineage in some sort of shape for hosting her at the Keep (if they'll have it). Fingers crossed by early next year it might be good to go. Ashe Ravenheart, one of the scribes here, did an awesome job of coverting my mantles stuff into a FR format PDF. In due course, his services might be requested again.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  01:40:36  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great work on the mantles!!! They will be put to use. Many thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  02:31:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I personally think that no NDA should apply to the lineage anymore.

Honestly, it seems that a lot of NDAs should go away with the timejump. With that era no longer being focused on and the pledge of no more material from that era, there seems to be no reason for the NDAs not to be lifted.

quote:

I will however try and get my butt into gear and get my Impiltur lineage in some sort of shape for hosting her at the Keep (if they'll have it). Fingers crossed by early next year it might be good to go.

You know Big Al would be delighted to host such a document.

quote:

Ashe Ravenheart, one of the scribes here, did an awesome job of coverting my mantles stuff into a FR format PDF. In due course, his services might be requested again.

He's not the only one who has that capability and who would share it. He was just the first, in this case.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  02:32:51  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Krashos, what can you tell me about the Impilturan navy? Is it a unified military force, or does each city have its own naval structure?

What kind of ships does it use? And since 'galleon', 'caravel' or 'galley' have been used about so many different ships in the past that they are all but meaningless, could you give me length, beam, draft, tonnage, crew and armaments?

Since you are the authority in that part of the world, perhaps you can also answer this for Procampur. It used to be an Impilturan city, at least. I know they have a 'powerful fleet', but I'm not sure if that has been developed further anywhere. Somehow I've got this memory of twelve fast galleys, but I can't imagine where I saw that.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  04:26:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I will however try and get my butt into gear and get my Impiltur lineage in some sort of shape for hosting her at the Keep (if they'll have it). Fingers crossed by early next year it might be good to go.

You know Big Al would be delighted to host such a document.
And we'll all be delighted to read it.

Of course, it'd probably be best to include this with the rest of Krash's online replies about Impiltur. And it could feature nicely alongside all his previous "Impiltur-lineage" posts that I've compiled.
quote:

quote:

Ashe Ravenheart, one of the scribes here, did an awesome job of coverting my mantles stuff into a FR format PDF. In due course, his services might be requested again.

He's not the only one who has that capability and who would share it. He was just the first, in this case.

Indeed.

I suppose it goes without saying that we're happy to assist in any capacity you so desire George.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Nov 2008 04:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  07:39:33  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I personally think that no NDA should apply to the lineage anymore.

Honestly, it seems that a lot of NDAs should go away with the timejump. With that era no longer being focused on and the pledge of no more material from that era, there seems to be no reason for the NDAs not to be lifted.

I agree completely. George, what do we need to do to convince Wizards to release this lore? Or, if you don't have that answer, who should we talk to? I've already posted to Brian James' "Requests" scroll, but that was 4E-oriented, so my post may have been overlooked.

Link to my (apparently now-dead) poll: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11753

I've been trying to re-create the Obarskyr/Silver family tree based on the information we have, and the absence of names for the Silver daughters ends that attempt rather quickly, and the Obarskyr line falls apart (as I've already noted) at the Thronestrife, with all those grandnieces and grandnephews of Gorauna. I would like to have this information for purposes of my campaign, and it wouldn't feel right to make it up, knowing that the canon answers exist (even if I can't access them). Hopefully we can make this happen; as I've said to both Brian James and the Wizards forum, I would be happy to pay for the article on a download-on-demand basis, but I would not pay for D&D Insider even if it would give me that information. I hold that position for a variety of reasons, none of which are on-topic here.

On another note, much more on-topic: George, the mantles writeup is awesome! More 3e-slightly-crunchy lore! Just the way I like it! Do you have anything more of that flavour for us? The Impiltur lineage will be a delight to have; I have my own post-1375 plans for the region, as I've hinted at elsewhere in the halls of Candlekeep, and Soneillon and her consort are front and centre in those plans.

Anyway, I hope we can free this wrongly-imprisoned lore before it dies of neglect. George, Brian, THO, other "in-the-know" readers of this scroll, the lore needs your help to save it! (Okay, now I'm being overly melodramatic; I'll stop now.)

On a related note: There's also the absence of the ancestry for the original Obarskyr brothers and Silver brothers. If this is not covered by the primary document in question, let me know; I have some ideas here.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 07 Nov 2008 08:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  09:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The "Fallen Kingdom Project" was a part of the aborted FR Encyclopedia project that Steven Schend got up and running but realised in the end would consume far too many TSR/WotC resources and take too much time to bring to fruition.

-- George Krashos

Is the work that was done available anywhere? The Fallen Kingdom is soon going to feature heavily in my campaign...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  10:41:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
On a related note: There's also the absence of the ancestry for the original Obarskyr brothers and Silver brothers. If this is not covered by the primary document in question, let me know; I have some ideas here.

I hate to say it but ... NDA.

However, here is a bit of lore of mine that has previously seen the light of day, repeated for your reading pleasure ... one of the swords that are collectively known as "Soargar's Legacy" ...

Ulfindos, “the Corsair Scourge”

The origins of this sword are unknown, for it first came to light in the Year of the Dark Venom (37 DR) when the mercenary Vaerom Obarskyr of Impiltur, brother to the reigning King Faerlthann of Cormyr, made a long sea voyage to the Forest Kingdom. Vaerom travelled to Cormyr to return the remains of Suzara, his and Faerlthann’s mother, to the land she had forsaken some twenty-five years before.

Tales speak of the love that Suzara always held for Ondeth, the Founding Father of Cormyr, and her wish to be buried near his remains upon her death. More cynical observers note that the sly Vaerom used the death of his mother to try and sway his brother into establishing a family base in Cormyr where his mercenary company would be subject only to laws favorable to them. Whatever the reason, Vaerom was given short shrift by Faerlthann, and returned to Impiltur after his mother’s internment a very disappointed man.

On the sea voyage back to Lyrabar, Vaerom and his men were waylaid by pirates near The Neck, the entrance to the Dragonmere. The confident pirates swarmed aboard Vaerom’s vessel only to be confronted by his battle-hardened crew of professional fighting men. In the fight that followed, Vaerom personally slew the pirate captain and claimed the blade Ulfindos from his corpse. Vaerom bore the blade throughout the years that followed and used it to grim effect when the Obarskyrs rallied behind the usurper Morlorn in the Year of the Climber’s Rest (72 DR). Morlorn, uncle to the reigning King Varanth II of Impiltur, arranged the poisoning of his nephew and seized the throne, using the mercenary army of the Obarskyrs to crush all opposition to his rule. Vaerom and the Obarskyrs had long been frustrated in their attempts to achieve noble station in Impiltur. Galled by the royal status of their cousins in far off Cormyr, the Obarskyrs were persuaded by Morlorn that he alone was the family’s gateway to the noble status that they craved so greatly.

Foolishly, Morlorn failed to ensure the death of Varanth’s wife Queen Ilithra, and their son, the Crown Prince Baranth who fled into the depths of the Grey Forest on the western fringes of the kingdom. Well hidden, Baranth commenced a clever, guerrilla campaign against his uncle and took advantage of the fears of several important noble families that the Obarskyrs would be raised to a pre-eminent position in the realm. Over the next handful of years, Baranth worked steadfastly to gather followers and rally nobles to his cause, all the while escaping the many assassination attempts and armed incursions organised by Morlorn to have him slain. In 77 DR, Baranth and his followers finally marched forth from the woodlands to remove the treasonous Morlorn from the throne. The “Usurper King” met the prince’s army at the crossroads village of Ironrock, north of Lyrabar, and was defeated in what came to be known as the Battle of Ilithra’s Smile. Crowned on the battlefield, King Baranth’s first decree was to proclaim Vaerom and his five sons outlaws but pardon their wives, children and erstwhile loyal followers. In doing so, King Baranth removed the threat of the Obarskyrs to the other noble families of the realm but showed his mercy and compassion as ruler. Vaerom, bereft of all support, fled the realm immediately with his sons and Ulfindos passed into the hands of the Mirandor dynasty.

The sword remained in the royal vaults until the time of King Darthorn II, who assumed the throne in the Year of Fraying Binds (343 DR). Darthorn II was plagued throughout the early years of his reign by a vast pirate fleet out of Altumbel led by the pirate “king” Azeddar, a renegade of Unther. Building a strong navy of swift, coastal galleys, Darthorn II led the fleet of Impiltur to victory after victory over the following two years, the blade Ulfindos by his side. After a great victory at the Battle of Splintered Prows in 352 DR, the strength of Azeddar and his pirates was ended forever, and the victorious Darthorn II bestowed the name “the Corsair Scourge” on the blade Ulfindos in memory of his triumph.

After his death, his son and namesake, Darthorn III, succeeded him in the Year of the Maiden’s Fancy (369 DR). A courageous warrior and sailor, much in the mould of his father, Darthorn III’s life was shattered by the death of his queen and eldest son during the Spiderblight Plague that devastated Impiltur in the Year of the Woeful Resurrection (375 DR). Overwhelmed by despair, Darthorn III threw himself off the Royal Barge anchored in Lyrabar’s harbor a scant month after his son’s funeral. When the royal corpse was recovered, it was observed that the grief-stricken king had clumsily sewn lead weights into his royal robes to ensure his death by drowning.

From that time onward, Ulfindos was deemed unlucky by the monarchs of the Mirandor dynasty and wielded only rarely. It was displayed with other treasures of the kingdom in the Glittering Gallery within the Royal Palace in Lyrabar until the Mage Royal Soargar took the blade into safekeeping as Impiltur fragmented into warring city-states in 926 DR. After the Kingless Years and the crowning of Imphras I in the Year of the Gleaming Crown (1097 DR), the “Corsair Scourge” was wielded by one of Imphras’ loyal battle companions who became in time the Royal Guard. The sword was subsequently lost in the Giantspires with King Imbrar after his disastrous expedition to eradicate the hobgoblin threat once and for all. No word has ever come out of the Giantspire Mountains as to the ultimate fate of Ulfindos. It may yet rest in some craggy ravine or have been spirited away by parties unknown to far, distant lands. All that is known is that it remains to be claimed by some brave soul or souls in the years to come.

This sword’s curved blade is forged of mithral and engraved on one side with its name in Thorass script. The weapon boasts a large basket guard of spell-toughened platinum; a hilt of mithral bound with treated sharkskin and has a rare, rainbow pearl set in its pommel (worth 5,000 gp). This self-identifying +1 cutlass has several special properties. By grasping the hilt, the bearer of the blade can water walk at will and receives the continuous benefit of a freedom of movement spell. Thrice per day, the bearer of the blade can create a gust of wind by pointing the tip of the cutlass in the desired direction and speaking the word “Ulfindos.”

Moderate abjuration, CL: 7th; Prerequisite: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, freedom of movement, gust of wind, water walk; Price: 195,255 gp; Cost: 98,535 gp +7,738 XP.

Cutlass: The cutlass is a short, heavy, slightly curved blade useful for both stabbing and slashing. It is popular with many sailors. Its heavy basket hilt gives the wielder a +2 circumstance bonus on any checks to resist being disarmed. Small Martial Melee Weapon; Cost: 15 gp; Damage 1d6; Critical 19-20/x2, Range Increment —; Weight 3 lb.; Type: Slashing and Piercing.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  10:43:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is the work that was done available anywhere? The Fallen Kingdom is soon going to feature heavily in my campaign...

That 'work' such as it was mostly ended up in LEoF as all we really detailed about the realm was its history.

Just what information for your campaign were you after?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  11:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That 'work' such as it was mostly ended up in LEoF as all we really detailed about the realm was its history.

Just what information for your campaign were you after?

Oh Gods. Uhm, well, the names and dates of the rulers, towns/villages now lost, details and names of the surviving splinter kingdoms, before they were allied by the Duke of Calandor, details of King Davyd's assassination by the Sharran fanatic.

ANY information not in LEoF would be most appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  12:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh Gods. Uhm, well, the names and dates of the rulers, towns/villages now lost, details and names of the surviving splinter kingdoms, before they were allied by the Duke of Calandor, details of King Davyd's assassination by the Sharran fanatic.

Sorry, I think I just confused Delimbiyran with Phalorm. But they're both going to feature, so it's all good.
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  09:43:49  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, I posted this question in the running the realms section of the Forums, it was suggested that I ask it here as you are the master sage with regard to all things related to Impiltur.

I have just started my new campaign in the Great Dale. I am running the exploration of a large crypt and as a puzzle I want to do something with dates in Faeruns history, but I am unsure as to what Calendar to use. So what I want to know is what dating system would have been in use in Impiltur during the reign of Bellodar I, known as the Conqueror who ruled from 562DR to 588DR.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  10:20:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[Oh Gods. Uhm, well, the names and dates of the rulers, towns/villages now lost, details and names of the surviving splinter kingdoms, before they were allied by the Duke of Calandor, details of King Davyd's assassination by the Sharran fanatic.

The humans kings of Phalorm/Delimbiyran were surnamed Snowsword and ruled as follows:

Javilarhh I, "the Dark" Born: 479DR Reigned: 511DR-528DR
Darnorth I Born: 502DR Reigned: 528DR-559DR
Darnorth II Born: 530DR Reigned: 559DR-594DR
Javilarhh II Born: 563DR Reigned: 594DR-646DR
Haryd I Born: 599DR Reigned: 646DR-665DR
Haryd II, "the Brave" Born: 627DR Reigned: 665DR-688DR
Haryd III Born: 655DR Reigned: 688DR-695DR
Davyd I Born: 677DR Reigned: 695DR-697DR

Surviving 'splinter' kingdoms of the Kingdom of Man included the aforementioned Calandor, Scathril, Loravatha, Harpshield, Talmost, Stonegard, and Ellermere.

The death of the monarch of Delimbiyran was something that a cabal of Sharran assassins, the Hand of Loss, had planned for more than twenty winters since their formation in the Year of the Shrouded Slayer (671DR). The Hand of Loss was created by Baelthara Kelkarn, one of the True Servants of Shar, who had submitted herself to the service of Lalondra Worul. Baelthara worked dark magic to put the five assassins of the Hand into spellthrall and history records only the names of two of them: Arthun Lemast, "the Shadeblade", and Drannar of Merilth (a now-ruined town that was located on the Sword Coast, south of the Troll Hills, about mid-way between present-day Lathtarl's Lantern and Roaringshore, known to have been destroyed in an assault by the young green dragon Halathormagarl in the Year of the Bloody Stone [775DR]. Halathormagarl is thought to live still, her lair deep within the northern fringes of the Wood of Sharp Teeth, but she has not been seen for centuries). The transformation of Lalondra into a lich brought about the death of Baelthara and in turn caused the members of the Hand of Loss to go insane. They commenced an orgy of slayings that culminated in them assaulting the royal holding of Brightoaks, a manor house on the western fringes of the Misty Forest, and its surrounds in the hope of drawing King Davyd out of Delimbiyran.

Their gambit worked all too well and Davyd rode with a hastily gathered retinue of men-at-arms and personal manservants to come to the aid of his sister Garantha who was spending the summer months there when she had sent word that the nearby villagers of Telthin's Mill were being attacked by strange "shadow creatures" and that members of the royal servant household at Brightoaks had begun to disappear. By the time Davyd and his party arrived, the Hand of Loss had done its work - the occupants of the manor were all slain and the place had been prepared with a host of deadly traps. It is unknown how Davyd met his end exactly, for he and his party were slain to the man, but his head was delivered by magic to the palace gates of Delimbiyran, the mark of Shar branded on his shaved pate.

His death saw an instant power vacuum in the realm (he had died without producing an heir) and there was no immediate successor to take power. By the time the Sharran turmoil had been quelled a handful of nobles claimed the throne but none were able to assume the mantle of power before the orcs swept down in a sea of fire and slaughter in 702DR. What were left were isolated towns, villages and cities with no common purpose and intent on survival. The Kingdom of Man as a unified realm of the Sword Coast North was finished.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 11 Nov 2008 10:22:12
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  15:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[Oh Gods. Uhm, well, the names and dates of the rulers, towns/villages now lost, details and names of the surviving splinter kingdoms, before they were allied by the Duke of Calandor, details of King Davyd's assassination by the Sharran fanatic.

The humans kings of Phalorm/Delimbiyran were surnamed Snowsword and ruled as follows:

Javilarhh I, "the Dark" Born: 479DR Reigned: 511DR-528DR
Darnorth I Born: 502DR Reigned: 528DR-559DR
Darnorth II Born: 530DR Reigned: 559DR-594DR
Javilarhh II Born: 563DR Reigned: 594DR-646DR
Haryd I Born: 599DR Reigned: 646DR-665DR
Haryd II, "the Brave" Born: 627DR Reigned: 665DR-688DR
Haryd III Born: 655DR Reigned: 688DR-695DR
Davyd I Born: 677DR Reigned: 695DR-697DR

Surviving 'splinter' kingdoms of the Kingdom of Man included the aforementioned Calandor, Scathril, Loravatha, Harpshield, Talmost, Stonegard, and Ellermere.

The death of the monarch of Delimbiyran was something that a cabal of Sharran assassins, the Hand of Loss, had planned for more than twenty winters since their formation in the Year of the Shrouded Slayer (671DR). The Hand of Loss was created by Baelthara Kelkarn, one of the True Servants of Shar, who had submitted herself to the service of Lalondra Worul. Baelthara worked dark magic to put the five assassins of the Hand into spellthrall and history records only the names of two of them: Arthun Lemast, "the Shadeblade", and Drannar of Merilth (a now-ruined town that was located on the Sword Coast, south of the Troll Hills, about mid-way between present-day Lathtarl's Lantern and Roaringshore, known to have been destroyed in an assault by the young green dragon Halathormagarl in the Year of the Bloody Stone [775DR]. Halathormagarl is thought to live still, her lair deep within the northern fringes of the Wood of Sharp Teeth, but she has not been seen for centuries). The transformation of Lalondra into a lich brought about the death of Baelthara and in turn caused the members of the Hand of Loss to go insane. They commenced an orgy of slayings that culminated in them assaulting the royal holding of Brightoaks, a manor house on the western fringes of the Misty Forest, and its surrounds in the hope of drawing King Davyd out of Delimbiyran.

Their gambit worked all too well and Davyd rode with a hastily gathered retinue of men-at-arms and personal manservants to come to the aid of his sister Garantha who was spending the summer months there when she had sent word that the nearby villagers of Telthin's Mill were being attacked by strange "shadow creatures" and that members of the royal servant household at Brightoaks had begun to disappear. By the time Davyd and his party arrived, the Hand of Loss had done its work - the occupants of the manor were all slain and the place had been prepared with a host of deadly traps. It is unknown how Davyd met his end exactly, for he and his party were slain to the man, but his head was delivered by magic to the palace gates of Delimbiyran, the mark of Shar branded on his shaved pate.

His death saw an instant power vacuum in the realm (he had died without producing an heir) and there was no immediate successor to take power. By the time the Sharran turmoil had been quelled a handful of nobles claimed the throne but none were able to assume the mantle of power before the orcs swept down in a sea of fire and slaughter in 702DR. What were left were isolated towns, villages and cities with no common purpose and intent on survival. The Kingdom of Man as a unified realm of the Sword Coast North was finished.

-- George Krashos

Awesome! Thanks GK, you're my favourite now!
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  15:37:57  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know that the descendants of the Talmosts are now Waterdhavian nobles and that the descendants of the Harpshields are now part of the Majarra family also in Waterdeep, but don't know anything about the others.

Do you know or have any clue what happened to the descendants of these shortlived royal families?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  00:48:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Awesome! Thanks GK, you're my favourite now!

I wasn't always your favourite!?!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  00:54:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know that the descendants of the Talmosts are now Waterdhavian nobles and that the descendants of the Harpshields are now part of the Majarra family also in Waterdeep, but don't know anything about the others.

Do you know or have any clue what happened to the descendants of these shortlived royal families?

Well, the short answer to that is ... "no". Unlike Ed, I don't have a pile of realmslore-filled boxes in my basement to draw upon or, truth be told, his talent and skill at world weaving. This "making stuff up" thing isn't as easy as it looks, you know.

Given that the above information is never going to be expanded upon in published realmslore, you are free to make the descendants anything you want them to be for your campaign. Go for it!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  07:46:52  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the short answer to that is ... "no". Unlike Ed, I don't have a pile of realmslore-filled boxes in my basement to draw upon or, truth be told, his talent and skill at world weaving. This "making stuff up" thing isn't as easy as it looks, you know.

Given that the above information is never going to be expanded upon in published realmslore, you are free to make the descendants anything you want them to be for your campaign. Go for it!

Hehe. My thanks for your help GK. It serves my purposes to have a lot of room to mould these families anyway, but I always like to build on Canon lore.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  19:32:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has stated that he made a general rule about the Realms for other designers working on it, back when TSR first bought it -

"For every plothook, mystery, or storyline you use up, explain, or bring to an end, create three more."

George, like Brian and Eytan, adhere to his wisdom.

And thats all I'm going to say about that.......

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Nov 2008 19:32:55
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  22:59:07  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Hrm... that was said about a certain now-infamous line in the Original Grey Box too... and that led to the Spellplague. Should we be terrified now?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  09:21:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Ed has stated that he made a general rule about the Realms for other designers working on it, back when TSR first bought it -

"For every plothook, mystery, or storyline you use up, explain, or bring to an end, create three more."

George, like Brian and Eytan, adhere to his wisdom.

And thats all I'm going to say about that.......

I agree completely; it's the best way to keep a shared world growing, and that's exactly why I want more answers. More answers means more mysteries.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  12:07:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBestwick

George, I posted this question in the running the realms section of the Forums, it was suggested that I ask it here as you are the master sage with regard to all things related to Impiltur.

I have just started my new campaign in the Great Dale. I am running the exploration of a large crypt and as a puzzle I want to do something with dates in Faeruns history, but I am unsure as to what Calendar to use. So what I want to know is what dating system would have been in use in Impiltur during the reign of Bellodar I, known as the Conqueror who ruled from 562DR to 588DR.

In the tongue of the Nar, a year is a 'sarn' and years are 'sarnar'.

The founders of Impiltur were mostly of Jhaamdathi stock and spoke Chondathan.

The word for a year in Chondathan is 'dael' and the word for years is 'daelin'.

Over time, in the melting pot that gave rise to the Damaran human racial group and Damaran tongue, the word for year/years was derived from both of these root terms into 'sardal' and 'sardalar' respectively.

The Chondathan tongue also had a word for leap-year which was 'ildael' but this didn't transfer into the Damaran language.

However, to return to your campaign query, the ancient realm of Jhaamdath used the term 'daelarth' to signify the 4 year grouping of 3 normal years and a leap year. It was this term which became the most commonplace method by which historians measured the passing of the years in Impiltur with the first daelarth commencing in the Year of Splendor (-74DR) by the royal decree of King Inrath I.

Hence when Bellodar I came to the throne in 562DR he did so 636 sardalar since the formation of the realm and at the end of the kingdom's 159th daelarth. He died during the kingdom's 166th daelarth.

In terms of a calendar, the months of the year prior to the Fiend Wars and Triad Crusade were an amalgam of Nar and Chondathan terms. The advent of the Elethlim dynasty saw the Calendar of Harptos replace the old Impilturian calendar which went as follows:

1 Dolnoth
Annual holiday: Whitewind
2 Nilnam
3 Paldari
4 Tamram
Annual holiday: Greenbloom
5 Lorgal
6 Ayalt
7 Herethil
Annual holiday: Redblaze
8 Udrik
9 Caldruin
Annual holiday: Brownfall
10 Ommsur
11 Vargax
Annual holiday: Grayskies
12 Fornoth

The term used for the present-day leap-year holiday of Shieldmeet was the Talegathering.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  13:02:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was a woman, I'd want to have your babies.

(Okay... that was kinda gross....)

Permission to place the tower on my latest Hordelands Map? I just happen to be re-tuning it after reading Frostfell and this would make a wonderful addition.

Also, I'm glad we had a 'discussion' a long while back concerning Raumathar, Imaskar, and a certain Acorn...

This article compliments some of what I'm working on beautifully.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Nov 2008 13:03:04
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  13:22:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If I was a woman, I'd want to have your babies.

(Okay... that was kinda gross....)

Permission to place the tower on my latest Hordelands Map? I just happen to be re-tuning it after reading Frostfell and this would make a wonderful addition.

Also, I'm glad we had a 'discussion' a long while back concerning Raumathar, Imaskar, and a certain Acorn...

This article compliments some of what I'm working on beautifully.

Glad you liked it. Feel free to use it any way you want.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  13:47:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yes that was pretty gross Markus.

-Krash that was and is pure awesome!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  14:17:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash, that is some good stuff. I just made a pdf out of that, and I'm putting it in the same folder as the published Wyrms of the North articles.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000