Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  05:52:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

As they say in the classics: better late than never.

Agrosh "the Scaled"

<snip>

The proclamation of the Triad Crusade and the coming of the great paladin army of Sarshel Elethlim and the advent of the Fiend Wars saw Agrosh ride to war at the head of his Horned Legion, a hand-picked cohort of half-fiend warriors, most of whom were Tarriks or trusted Tarrik retainers. Despite his martial prowess and unearthly strength and vitality, Agrosh was slain in the overpowering attack of the paladin army's vanguard, led by Belthar Garshin, at the Battle of Horned Heads. It is said that he had the satisfaction of drinking Belthar's blood before he was transfixed by a score of holy, blessed spears and his dead body transformed into a pile of maggots ere it was cleansed with fire.

So passed unmourned the only monarch of the "Demon Dynasty" and with his death, Impiltur began its return from the great maelstrom of death and darkness which had torn it asunder.

-- George Krashos

Dang...I LIKE this guy!

Any chance one of those maggots got away?

I picture it feeding on a dead corpse after the battle, being buried; then later the body being possessed and Agrosh clawing his way out of the ground in a possessed body...

Or BETTER: being so powerful that his "death" caused him to be banished to the Abyss...as a Marquis Cambion (as he is the Son of Eltab he could be nothing but a Marquis). As Cambions have no ability to use Planar Travel (unless learning magic to do so), he would essentially be stuck in the Abyss unless summoned.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  13:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find the post you've quoted from, Dalor. Care to give a link?
And how is Cormyr Lineage coming up?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  15:06:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

The description of Agrosh is on p.6 of this thread.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  15:14:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I picture it feeding on a dead corpse after the battle, being buried; then later the body being possessed and Agrosh clawing his way out of the ground in a possessed body...
DALOR....

That's really, REALLY good! I am SOOOOOOO stealing that!!!

The horror-factor is off-the-hook.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  16:51:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

DALOR....

That's really, REALLY good! I am SOOOOOOO stealing that!!!

The horror-factor is off-the-hook.

Not really my own idea...I kinda hooked it in with the Sons of Kyuss.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  17:55:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

George, could I bother you for a physical description of Agrosh and perhaps his favored arms, armor and magical items favored? Or, I would be glad to send you something I have in mind for him privately and you could simply say "That fits roughly my idea of him." or "That isn't exactly how I envisioned him honestly."

What think ye?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  07:30:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

George, could I bother you for a physical description of Agrosh and perhaps his favored arms, armor and magical items favored? Or, I would be glad to send you something I have in mind for him privately and you could simply say "That fits roughly my idea of him." or "That isn't exactly how I envisioned him honestly."

What think ye?

Send me a PM with the details and I'll get back to ya.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  08:33:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

What think ye?

Send me a PM with the details and I'll get back to ya.

-- George Krashos

Hey now... so long as the lore Krash will be sharing is of a non-private nature, can we see it posted here too?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  11:22:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got around to sending this off to George...if he wants it here, he can feel free to post it.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  16:06:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George gave me the "OK" so here is a bit more about Agrosh "the Scaled", Demon King of Impiltur:

Agrosh is a formidable foe to look upon; the sheer sight of him was enough to instill fear in the hearts of many a man called brave even in the face of a Dragon. Even if Agrosh were only a normal human, his menacing height of seven feet would cause many men to cower when coupled with the iron-hard thews of his frame. His raw physical power was proven superior to any ogre and even some giants were humbled by his feats of strength. His crimson-scaled hide was said to be as supple as any human flesh, but as strong as adamantine; easily capable of shedding blows as if they were rain drops. Befitting his position as both the son of an Abyssal Lord and King of Impiltur, Agrosh’s head is crowned by a ring of fifteen horns. Thirteen of these are approximately two inches long and the other two, which are positioned at the front of his head with three smaller horns between, are fully half a foot long and savagely sharp as a dagger.

Even without a blade in his hand or spear to throw at his quarry, Agrosh is well armed with clawed hands capable of rending plate armor and a fanged mouth that is both human and yet not; a mouth that took the life from the throats of many he had hunted down like animals. Like his hands, his feet are armed with wicked talons instead of simple nails. A single kick from him is capable of impaling the abdomen of a victim upon his foot and rending entrails and drawing them forth.

His demonic heritage obvious, Agrosh is still an unearthly, even beautiful, sight to behold in his moments of cold calculation in thought. His crown of horns sits atop a heavy head of silken black hair which he is prideful of and keeps well maintained and decorated with gold clasps. Agrosh prefers the finest clothes of silk and adorns himself with gold jewelry set with contrasting diamonds and blackest onyx.

Agrosh’s favored weapon is a viciously serrated greatsword of adamantine. While none know if it carried a name, many know that it carried horrid enchantments. Even the slightest drawing forth of blood from a foe causes a horrid bleeding to begin; while Agrosh is known to have gained in strength from this blood-letting. Most often however, this wicked sword was known for cleaving limbs and heads from foes with a powerful vorpal enchantment; and streams of bloody red energy would suffuse his body with yet more strength.

When hunting his favored quarry, sentient beings, Agrosh favored either riding them down with a wickedly barbed lance or throwing broad-headed hunting spears into the backs of his fleeing prey. His lance was said to paralyze many of his foes, while the spears he threw were said to crackle with writhing purple energy which would bind their limbs in uncontrollable spasms.

Agrosh, as powerful physically as he was, favored plate armor that had been crafted by great fiendish smiths in the depths of the Abyss by vassals of his father; then brought to Faerun by mortal agents. This armor was made of black iron said to be cooled in the blood of a score of Rakshasa, and smelted by the burning of bones from the same. Only holy weapons could cause harm to Agrosh because of it; and then only if wielded by holy foes.

When Agrosh had finally taken the throne of Impiltur, he also took a scepter in hand as well; said to have been capable of bending the will of almost anyone to his dark demands. Sundered by Belthar Garshin while attempting to break the vanguard of the paladin army on the fields of The Battle of Horned Heads, it is thought his ruling scepter was in fact a powerful Rod of Rulership gifted to him by Soneillon to cement his position. This same pictured scepter figured prominently upon Agrosh’s standard; which was a black field with many red horns spiraling out from a demonic red hand center, grasping the scepter sinister. Agrosh’s armor and sword were said to have been disjoined and disintegrated to ensure their vile power was never again used by anyone.

If any thought Agrosh was simply a physically powerful half-fiend to be feared in battle, few realized that his power over the blackest magic rivaled many who claimed to be a great wizard. Agrosh relished physical blood-letting however, and his magic was usually used to augment his already fearsome ability and thwart the attacks of foes against him; seldom did he resort to the hurling of battle-spells, relying instead upon his summoning of fiends, necromantic perversions, divinations and abjurations. It is said he was greatly skilled in the arts of charms, using them to exert his will upon hapless victims of his carnal desires; but his most loved form of magic was illusions and phantasms he used to torment and bedevil those he hunted.

His favored “hunting game” involved allowing someone to believe that they had escaped him and reached a promised destination where a loved one was known to be. The quarry would then, and ever so slowly, be tormented with doubt and finally revelation that their loved one lay in a mauled puddle of bloody gore as the remains of a horrid feast before Agrosh would reveal himself and inform them they were the last course since they had been “fattened” up by food served them by their supposed loved one; but was in fact instead fed their own loved one.

Simply put, Agrosh was a wholly evil being without a shred of humanity coursing through his black demonic blood.

STATISTICS:

I haven't fully outlined Agrosh's Statistics for all versions of D&D; but below are the rough beginnings of two.

3.5 Stats: Chaotic Evil Human Male Half-Fiend Ranger/Assassin/Sorcerer (6/4/10) with Humans as his greatest species enemy and magic focusing on augmentation of physical power and protection; but with spells also suited to manipulations of various sorts.

1e Stats: Chaotic Evil Marquis Cambion Fighter 16, Assassin 8, Magic-User 5, Illusionist 16; focusing again on the above sorts of spells. Str: 20, Int: 18, Wis: 14, Dex: 17, Con: 18, Chr: 24 (allowing him to instill Awe/Revulsion at will in those he wishes as if he had a – 6 Charisma); +1 or better weapon to hit (half damage from magical weapons below +3 while armored), 40% Magic Resistance (complete immunity to spells of less than 8th level while armored). Agrosh can Cause Fear by touch (even through his held weapons), Detect Magic, Levitate and Polymorph Self at will and at the 8th level of ability. He carried a +3 Two-Handed Vorpal Sword with the properties of a Wounding Blade that also had the same powers as a Vampiric Ring of Regeneration. His armor was equal to Full Plate armor +3 that also bestowed upon Agrosh the same defensive powers of a Rakshasa 20 times over; thus his death at the hands of 20 holy spears! His Scepter was indeed a Rod of Rulership, and his lance was a Light Lance +2 that could be commanded to cause paralyzation (as the wand), and his favored hunting spears were but +1 spears endowed with the power of a Hold Person spell when thrown and commanded (the effect usable for each spear only once per day).

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  05:40:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just posted this to another thread and thought it bore repeating for my own stuff here in this thread. Enjoy.

The Narfelli bound demons into magical prisons known as demoncysts. The demoncyst form of trapping demons commonly occurred on the outer fringes of Narfelli lands (i.e. as a type of border security) to be called upon by Demonbinders as needed and was the least sophisticated means of compelling demons to service used by the Narfelli. The demoncyst ritual involved summoning the demon in question to the Prime and then using their own unique variant of the 'Imprisonment' spell to entomb the demon (or 'drith' in the Narfelli tongue) at a particular location.

What the Narfelli realised early on in the process was that the extra-planar nature of drith made a normal 'Imprisonment' spell prone to collapsing over time, which of course led to much devastation and trouble when an unbound demon appeared 'out of no-where' and started to run amok. This led to the Narfelli working on a more demon-oriented variant of that spell which proved much more stable - but not completely so. As such it was common for only relatively minor drith to be bound in this fashion (usually nothing more powerful than a chasme, more often a handful of dretch or rutterkin) and for there to be safeguards put in place to prevent unleashed demons from doing their own things if unleashed incorrectly. Those safeguards usually took the form of spell-trigger magics to banish said unleashed demon(s) or other types of ward magics to prevent their freedom of movement. As with all dealing with extra-planar creatures, the efficacy of such spells varied wildly on circumstances and the unpredictability of the Art.

I note that there were more than a few Demonbinders who refused to 'play by the rules' and used demoncyst magic to build secret sentinels/armies in more populated areas (i.e. in and around Narfelli settlements) and also were lax in placing appropriate safeguards on their demoncysts - so essentially, anything goes in this regard.

Most 'sanctioned' demoncysts needed to be recognisable to Demonbinders - for it was intended that they be an intrinsic aspect of the defence of the realm and so required to be accessible to all 'army personnel as it were - and so the releasing of subject demon(s) was by way of command word and the touching of a particular item (usually a small brass engraved disc) located at the site of the cyst. Most Demonbinders used "Permanency" on themselves to give them the power of a lower-level variant "Arcane Sight" spell that allowed them to see drith summoning magics (specifically for location of demoncysts and wards against demons) and so could readily observe and activate such sites.

With the passing of the centuries, the demoncyst magics have all degraded to a degree. They are far less stable and accordingly, sometimes simply touching the brass disc located at a demoncyst site without uttering the command word is enough to release the demon(s) in question. It must be noted that the Demoncyst ritual was keyed specifically to humans, so the touching of a disc by wild animals, elves, dragons, dwarves etc would all (usually) have no effect. Similarly, disturbing the area of ground at or nearby to a demoncyst by digging, plowing, etc. has been known to unleash the demons entombed there. Most denizens of the Great Dale do no digging at all if it can be avoided - experience having taught them that the simple act of digging a grave can lead to deadly consequences. Customs in the Great Dale are modified accordingly (they cremate their dead rather than bury; they use hammered in stakes with stout ropes to hold wooden dwellings in place rather than digging stone foundations; etc.).

The largest concentration of demoncysts are located on the southern edge of the Great Dale along the northern part of the Forest of Lethyr, around present-day Mistbridge and the Falls of Erech, near the Citadel of Conjurers in Impiltur and in and around the environs of Dun-Tharos. This is despite centuries of "clean up" by the druids of the region.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  21:02:45  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
being as though Damara and Narfell are border neighbors, are there any demoncysts in Damaran lands?

and if so how does the Tree-Gem affect them (rendered them empty? ... will insta-banish the demon if released? ... etc)

I think the sources say the Tree-Gem banishes demons in the "Bloodstone Lands" ... Narfell is a part of the Bloodstone Lands in FR9 and of course at the time of the Tree-Gem gift Damara was having an awful time dealing with Orcus worshippers and thus there may be some overlap

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  00:23:20  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Krash, can you gimme any meaty-gravy covered cormanthor
stuff that maybe isn't covered by nasty sharp NDA's?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  07:03:33  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Althen: NDAs aren't sharp; they are nassty, trickssy, falsse, but not sharp.
Back to you, GK...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  07:59:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NDA's are like the orc's of the Realms.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  05:06:02  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

NDA's are like the orc's of the Realms.

As in, they're evil and they're everywhere? I'm inclined to agree, especially with respect to the older ones. A shiny new NDA means a shiny new project underway, so I'm okay with those, but NDAs need expiry dates. I've ranted to George and Ed about this in the past, so I'll stop here.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  03:04:40  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr Krashos,

I was reading through an old scroll from a few years ago at http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=37

And I found this post of yours:
quote:Originally posted by George Krashos
During Steven Schend's tenure as lead designer there were plans for a further Arcane Age product: "Telantiwar: Land of the Drow". It never really got off the ground but some of the material got expanded and folded into LOI, DDGttU and Wyrmskull Throne.

This is the first I ever heard of such a product. With the Underdark theme coming this summer and the possibility of the Realms exploring different eras, do you think we would ever see a product created like Telantiwar? I'd imagine the designers could pack a ton of lore about the dwarves of the Great Rift in there also.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  03:07:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to hear more of this as well.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  04:13:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven is certainly the best placed to comment on this. I was only told that it had been put up as the the next Arcane Age product after Cormanthyr. When WotC decided to go in a different direction and stop that line of releases, the product was canned.

Steven, being Steven, had already done a lot of elven back story with Cormanthyr and so it was I think a natural extension to look at things like the Descent of the Drow and provide players with a chance to play "kewl drow" (or at the very least people from the future interacting with old-style drow). It no doubt would have provided a vehicle to flesh out the Ilythiiri, the drow pantheon in the Realms, the drow diaspora that followed that destruction of that realm and a host of other things.

Personally, I'm not sure it would have had the utility of Cormanthyr or the potential of Netheril, but Steven would have made it yummy!

Those were the days when lore was king and mechanics took a backseat. We lived by the FRA one-line statline mantra. And it was good. May we see those days again.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  04:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those were the days when lore was king and mechanics took a backseat. We lived by the FRA one-line statline mantra. And it was good. May we see those days again.
Amen brother. And sooner than you may think.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  04:49:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:

Amen brother. And sooner than you may think.
Really? Do tell, Brian! Of course, you probably can't say anything more than "NDA" at the moment, right? Well, I suppose I can be patient... or try, at least... since being patient certainly is trying for me. I'll post my follow-up question for Brian in his own scroll... but I do have a question for George while I'm here: I'm curious as to what you've been working on Realms-wise lately. Anything you can share with us?

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  06:29:48  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear ya. My 2E era memories are like the golden days of D&D and would love to see a return to that. I always liked how 2E did stat blocks with a name, level, alignment and maybe hit points. Sweet, simple, about one sentence long and allows for more lore in the product.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  18:19:45  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven is certainly the best placed to comment on this. I was only told that it had been put up as the the next Arcane Age product after Cormanthyr. When WotC decided to go in a different direction and stop that line of releases, the product was canned.

Steven, being Steven, had already done a lot of elven back story with Cormanthyr and so it was I think a natural extension to look at things like the Descent of the Drow and provide players with a chance to play "kewl drow" (or at the very least people from the future interacting with old-style drow). It no doubt would have provided a vehicle to flesh out the Ilythiiri, the drow pantheon in the Realms, the drow diaspora that followed that destruction of that realm and a host of other things.

Personally, I'm not sure it would have had the utility of Cormanthyr or the potential of Netheril, but Steven would have made it yummy!

-- George Krashos

I'm not sure what's still under an NDA anymore, nor can I find much more than a line proposal re: Arcane Age beyond the 4 products that exist.

Scanning my notes, I find Telantiwar was a 3rd choice for the next Arcane Age behind Shanatar and Ammarindar (as we'd done drow a lot at that point and needed more dwarf material, in my opinion at least).

As it is, I suspect most if not all of my notes, as George noted, got folded into Lands of Intrigue, Empires of the Shining Sea, and a few other places by me and most got subsumed and expanded (at least the notes I had) by Eric Boyd into Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark.

Still, quite the flashback here, folks; thanks, George, for the kind words--here's hoping we can coordinate a Gen Con reunion one of these years, but not this coming one alas.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  18:29:24  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

I'm not sure what's still under an NDA anymore, nor can I find much more than a line proposal re: Arcane Age beyond the 4 products that exist.

Scanning my notes, I find Telantiwar was a 3rd choice for the next Arcane Age behind Shanatar and Ammarindar (as we'd done drow a lot at that point and needed more dwarf material, in my opinion at least).

As it is, I suspect most if not all of my notes, as George noted, got folded into Lands of Intrigue, Empires of the Shining Sea, and a few other places by me and most got subsumed and expanded (at least the notes I had) by Eric Boyd into Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark.

Steven

Personally, I would have gone with Imaskar as the third Arcane Age setting... but I guess the similarity to Netheril was thought to be too great; at least, that's the only reasoning I can think of. But hearing about Telantiwar, Shanatar, and Ammarindar does make me curious... and I agree with you, George; any Realms product by Steven is worth more than the cover price, regardless of its era. I'd prefer to have him work with the Realms he knows best, of course...

Edited by - Jakk on 08 Feb 2012 18:32:07
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  20:36:18  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Arcane Age focused on the old dwarven realms would have really been cool too. Tethyamar would be really cool to learn more about as it's one of the dwarven realms that never has really received much coverage, as far as I know. I always found it strange that how it was so near the Dales and Moonsea, which have been covered rather well we don't know more about it. Makes a person wonder why and I bet there would be an awesome story there.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  13:53:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
... but I do have a question for George while I'm here: I'm curious as to what you've been working on Realms-wise lately. Anything you can share with us?

Working on? Nothing of substance. My hobby predilections wax and wane over periods and my energies have been focused in other areas of late.

I'd long toyed with updating my Impiltur article for 4E but with the announcement of the next iteration, I've definitely shelved that project. I want to see where the Realms goes before I commit time and energy to further development work. I learned that lesson with my "Mantles" work which I finished on the cusp of the announcement of 4E ...

I do find that I need a kickstart though, so if anyone wants to ask any questions here about ... well, just about anything Realmsian, I'd be more than happy to do some weaving.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  04:59:17  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do find that I need a kickstart though, so if anyone wants to ask any questions here about ... well, just about anything Realmsian, I'd be more than happy to do some weaving.

-- George Krashos

I believe I heard an invitation. So here's my interest. Before everything went kaboom there were some hints dropped here and there in 3e products that there were sarrukh under Faerun in various places (Oreme and Okoth, at least... others?) and they were awakening... not merely waking up to pee and then zonk out again, but actually reaching out to their minion-races, scrying on Faerun, etc.

This has become one of the major engines driving my personal campaign, which may never get out of the writing stage, but I'm naturally curious...

Was there an official design plan afoot? Were you involved, or would you have been interested? If so, how would you go about setting up their return?

Edit: I guess I should have noted... My Realms has remained in 3e --by necessity since 4e eradicated Mulhorand-- and I haven't kept up on 4e lore.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 12 Feb 2012 05:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  19:15:43  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:

-- George Krashos

I believe I heard an invitation. So here's my interest. Before everything went kaboom there were some hints dropped here and there in 3e products that there were sarrukh under Faerun in various places (Oreme and Okoth, at least... others?) and they were awakening... not merely waking up to pee and then zonk out again, but actually reaching out to their minion-races, scrying on Faerun, etc.

This has become one of the major engines driving my personal campaign, which may never get out of the writing stage, but I'm naturally curious...

Was there an official design plan afoot? Were you involved, or would you have been interested? If so, how would you go about setting up their return?

Edit: I guess I should have noted... My Realms has remained in 3e --by necessity since 4e eradicated Mulhorand-- and I haven't kept up on 4e lore.

I, too, am interested in the awakening of the sarrukh... and my Realms is also 3e, less by necessity than by circumstance; my last Realms DM ran his campaign involving the children of the PCs from the first Realms campaign he played in, which was the last 2E Realms campaign I DM'ed (he moved to the other side of the country shortly thereafter, and 3E came out shortly after that), so we were already in 1400-ish DR with Halaster and no Spellplague, not vice-versa.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  07:28:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was Eric's researcher for Serpent Kingdoms but only got input into the design process after the skeleton was in place - that skeleton being the sarrukh. As such, I didn't get any input into their 're-awakening'.

That said, I consider the sarrukh (and the yuan-ti) to be one of the most potential-laden power groups of the Realms. In my Realms, the sarrukh are master manipulators and have extremely longterm plans to control this or that, defeat that or this, and eventually pave their way back to a pre-eminent place in the power structure of the Realms. Their modus operandi includes magical control over groups and individuals who do their bidding unwittingly. They also have mastery over some unique portal networks (keyed specifically to reptilian creatures), control over various dragons (who don't know that they've been magically 'branded' at birth to be pawns of the sarrukh when the time comes - it is thought that some dragons have come to realise this over the centuries, and that their attempts to shed these bindings have included the pursuit of dracolichdom. This has brought some elements of the sarrukh network and the Cult of the Dragon into conflict over the years), and a plethora of magic items that have well-hidden secondary Art attached to them that can allow the sarrukh to take over anyone (i.e. mentally dominate as per the spell) in physical contact with them at any time (it is rumoured that one such item did the rounds in Waterdeep decades ago, where a hidden sarrukh - who may or may not have been a Lord of Waterdeep - used it for his own ends until the Blackstaff deduced the item's sinister powers and destroyed it, gaining only a small, frustrating insight into who or what was behind it).

In addition, I've always been of the view that individuals of the Ba'etith, the creators of the Nether Scrolls, exist to this day. In very different forms, and with greatly truncated powers, these creatures (not all of whom are sarrukh) 'ride' magic items, exist in spell wards and some mythals and some unique spell books and continue to have a presence and influence on those individuals who some in contact with them.

The sarrukh can potentially pervade all. Their mastery of the Art gives them the ability to turn up in any shape, way or form where magic is present (while their physical bodies lie in stasis far, far away) and so they remain a greatly under-exposed power group of the modern Realms.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  17:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail thee, Loremaster Krashos.

Lest this missive disturb your weighty studies, pray regard it not as an exhortation to creative endeavours, but merely a query of what you may have at the forefront of your mind. I will hold an answer of 'I know not' as being perfectly acceptable and an invitation to insert lore of my own, reasonably secure that it contrasts not with established lore or the vision of one who is likely to have influence in any future lore on the Demonlands.*

With no further introduction, then, my query (several, but why quibbble?):

Impiltur is a place overflowing with knights. Some of these are presumably servants of churches. Are these knighted by simple clerical fiat or by a compact between certain churches/temples (say, the Triad) and the Crown?

Are there knights with titles granted by secular authorities as well?

If so, are they all created by the Crown (either Queen Regent or the Council in her name) or can such titles be inherited, granted by nobles or even other knights?

What are the legal consequences under Impilturan law of being a 'knight'** and by what title are you addressed?

*If the powers that be prove wise, at any rate.
**That is, can you build a castle? Can you keep a small retinue or even a large private army? Do you have legal privileges? Do these apply to religious as well as secular knighthoods?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 16 Mar 2012 18:12:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000