Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Tsurlagol
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Luinnar
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  03:58:38  Show Profile  Visit Luinnar's Homepage Send Luinnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings

As this is my first post to the Forum I appreciate the sages' learned indulgence.

I'm searching for information or history regarding the city of Tsurlagol near the Gray Forest on the Sea of Fallen Stars. The original FR compaign set states it is "a prosperous city." The 2001 version of FR campaign setting states the city's "location has its drawbacks...and has been sacked and burned more times than any other city in the region."

Any guidance on where I might find further information on the layout of Tsurlagol, its history, or any other relevant information would be appreciated.

Luinnar

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  05:23:24  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may find what you look for here :

Pirates of the Fallen Stars p54,55
Grand Tour of the Realms: p73,74,76,77
The Forgotten Kingdom, p59,62(with a map)
Running the Realms, p23,43
Sea of the Fallen Stars p10,14
Wizards and rogues of the Realms, p103,104

An few others...

EDIT : And welcome to the Keep !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 14 Oct 2008 05:24:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  06:02:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, Crypt of the Moaning Diamond by Rosemary Jones. It includes tidbits focusing "outside the city walls of Tsurlagol, below the city walls of Tsurlagol, and, briefly, on the city walls of Tsurlagol."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  10:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also like to add to this question, if I may.

What is Tsurlagol like?

Is the culture there similiar to Impiltur? It's probably not anything like Raven's Bluff, which is a unique city due to its adventurer population and many gates, but does it resemble Procampur? And, if it does, what does that mean in terms of the feel of the city?

Are the people there more Damaran or Chondathan? Something entirely different?

The name appears, at least to me, very 'foreign'. The 'ts' sound in the beginning gives it an exotic appearance. Where does the name come from and do the locals speak the same languages as Impiltur and the Vast?

If we are to describe the city in terms that we are familiar with, does it resemble any real world culture or city? Perhaps one in Eastern Europe? Southern Europe? Somewhere else?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 14 Oct 2008 10:50:03
Go to Top of Page

Luinnar
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:48:15  Show Profile  Visit Luinnar's Homepage Send Luinnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings
Many thanks for the guidance and text names(especially from Fillow)! I'm always looking for an excuse to add to my collection.

Luinnar
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  20:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luinnar

Greetings
Many thanks for the guidance and text names(especially from Fillow)!

You're really welcome Luinnar.

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

What is Tsurlagol like?

I would say the best source to answer this question could be the novel that the Sage quoted above. wouldn't it ?

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  22:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:

What is Tsurlagol like?

I would say the best source to answer this question could be the novel that the Sage quoted above. wouldn't it ?

Well, according to his description, there aren't actually any bits of the novel which happen inside the city.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  00:45:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would also like to add to this question, if I may.

What is Tsurlagol like?
You're more than likely going to get the "best" impression about what Tsurlagol is like by reading the sources referenced yourself. That way, any particular little motivations and personal touches you may want to add will spring to mind based on the lore as it's presented.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  05:24:02  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I add a detail about one of the sources I quoted in a post above.
The Forgotten Kingdom source is in fact en article from Dragon magazine #346 - August 2006. Impiltur, the forgotten kingdom, by our scribe George Krashos.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  16:13:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons there have been gaps in published details of Tsurlagol is that it was the setting for a European RPGA campaign. Ed mapped it and provided full background details for it, as for all the cities in the 2e FORGOTTEN REALMS ADVENTURES hardcover, colored roofs and walled "quarters" of the city and all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  08:01:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

One of the reasons there have been gaps in published details of Tsurlagol is that it was the setting for a European RPGA campaign. Ed mapped it and provided full background details for it, as for all the cities in the 2e FORGOTTEN REALMS ADVENTURES hardcover, colored roofs and walled "quarters" of the city and all.
love,
THO

Are these maps and background details available anywhere, or is it all in the FRA hardcover? I don't have that source with me at the moment, unfortunately.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Luinnar
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  04:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Luinnar's Homepage Send Luinnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote

[/quote]
Are these maps and background details available anywhere, or is it all in the FRA hardcover? I don't have that source with me at the moment, unfortunately.
[/quote]

Forgotten Realms Adventures 2e mentions Tsurlagol as spying and providing financial assistance to Procampur in exchange for protection but most of the entry seems to be about Procampur (?).

I'm compiling a brief summary of Tsurlagoal based on Fillow's original reference and a few others. I will share with those interested - may be a little while before it is finished. Dates will be absent for the most part.

Luinnar
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  05:16:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Unfortunately, that ended on a sorry note, and the European RPGA (Sarbreenar) Campaign was given a 'Cease and Desist' Order a little over a year ago by WotC. Up until that time they maintained a very nice site, full of campaign info about that region and lots of great adventures you could download.

The website is down now - too bad, because that stuff was considered canon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Oct 2008 05:17:33
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  23:49:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. So is there any chance of the campaign info showing up on wizards.com? Probably not until it's been "updated" for 4E (and thereby "sanitized" of anything useful in the way of lore).

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  04:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here I am, late to the party, but one of the reasons that I liked Tsurlagol for a novel was that it was, according the campaign guide of the time, the most often seiged and sacked city in the Realms. So I assume, and no loremaster has contradicted this, that it is in a constant state of rebuilding and flux. Which makes for some interesting adventures for those who dare to explore it.

Treasure might be found in one of the many layers of Tsurlagols past below the current city, if you can avoid being caught between rampaging armies, eaten by creatures who have moved into the ruins buried below, and sidestep various traps left behind by past generations. I suspect the ruins extend far beyond anything that my poor Siegebreakers found when they tumbled through a hole and into an underground river. In fact, I'm fairly sure there is a dust wight down there, waiting for someone to open his tomb and let him out....

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  05:07:14  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also felt that the Siegebreakers were only seeing a small part of the levels under the city. Plus considering the frequent war activities, it is also less likely that most of the lost treasures have been retrieved from below.
Nice adventure setting for dungeon crawl!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000