Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A proposal... about the new realms and the 3.5ed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  09:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi!

After a little playtesting with the 4ed, I found that:

- it wasn't necessary at all, aside for commercial reasons. The 3.5 works fine enough, so no REAL need for it from player' side.

- the 4ed is a "DEMO VERSION". Not all the classes are yet published, the "powers" are too few to allow a true choice... etc.

Since I played the Forgotten Realms for 15y now, following the OFFICIAL realmslore, I still wont to follow it.

Here's my proposal:

Is someone interested in starting a project about converting the Realms back to the 3.5?

I mean: to keep the new realmslore (ok, I know this is the most controversial issue) and adapt it to the 3.5 rules.

I think this could help those not wishing to convert their campaign to the new 4Ed, but are enough open minded to accept the changes in the Realms.
It is just a proposal... maybe a good one, maybe not.

Sorry if someone else already said something similar and I miss it!

(...and maybe is better to wait for the release of the 4ED Campaign Guide)

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Edited by - Arioch on 13 Aug 2008 10:34:41

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  11:21:51  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that this is exactly the wrong way. The new "official" realmslore is the real abomination, and this desaster wrought by a design team not willing or not able to care for the setting is nothing which deserves our support.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  11:50:30  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think both are abominations. And I´ll still play old FR in 3.5.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  13:06:29  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your answers!

I respect all the different opinions about the new realms. I was just wandering if somebody is going to get the best from the new realm, without loosing the good "old" rule system.

Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  14:16:32  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting idea Arioch...not fond of the fluff changes myself, but for people that are planning on playing the "points of light" campaign, it might be worthwhile...

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  17:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have to say that they changes to lore are what upset me, not the new rules set. In fact, my outrage at what they have done to the 4e Realmslore is specifically why I will not but the 4e rules books.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  17:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean Arioch, 4e is too simple and balanced. It doesn't matter if you're a fighter of wizard because, for example the attack bonus is the same and it reminds me of diablo .

But why bother? They messed up the Realms as we know it because of the new rules. How else could they incorperate a world full of dragonborn warlocks?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  18:23:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Yes, I have to say that they changes to lore are what upset me, not the new rules set.

Seconded. And the assertion that 3.5E was perfectly fine is definitely arguable.

That said, that doesn't mean I don't think this is a good idea for those who like it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  18:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as others said ... its mainly the lorepart of $e that pisses people off ... the rules aren't that bad again (though i'll proberly keep myself in 3.5e so all my fluff books don't die) ... if anything i'll proberly change into using Paizos 3.75e

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinion about the 3.5e is that, far from being perfect, there was no need to change it ... (aside from economical interest)

But the rules change is connected with the creation of the new realms...

And I think that the new realmslore is an "abomination" mainly because it was a way to introduce "by force" the 4E, without caring too much for old fans... (and this is indeed very sad!)

Now... let's try to keep the changes (parts of them, if you prefer)! If we don't think about them as a (bad) excuse for introducing a more commercial game system, I think it will be possible to use them for the best.

My idea for lessening part of the "shock" caused by the new realms, is to remove the "excuse" part of the changes.
This is not intended to be a way to completely resolve the issue, just to save what can be saved without a complete refusal of the new.

This was the rationale behind my proposal. Maybe too oversimplified, or maybe I'm simply wrong!

Again, it was just a suggestion about a possible way to run a campaign in the new realms... not another controversy about how "they" destroyed "our" realms.

And, of course, I think that aside for the previews we all read nothing can be said for sure until the release of the Campaign Setting.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  20:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arioch

My opinion about the 3.5e is that, far from being perfect, there was no need to change it ... (aside from economical interest)

That's the thing--economical interest is a company's number one priority.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  17:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might end up using some of the changes.

For instance, in my longest running FR campaign, the adventurers have built up Battlerise, in eastern Cormyr, back to a nice castle. They have also put at least 3 towers up along the Sembian/Cormyr border... all this has happened before the events in Death of the Dragon. They didn't know about the possibility of war between Cormyr and Sembia... they had just had some Sembian adventurers piss them off one too many times.

Now, looking at 4e lore... Cormyr has expanded eastwards. Suits me fine. Actually works with what was already happening. On the other hand, I don't think I'll have King Azoun V be as radical a reformer as the notes I've read so far paint him as. If anything, his upbringing should motivate him to more firmly establish his family's authoritarian rule over Cormyr, not lessen it, especially if they end up in war with Sembia/Shades/whatever.

Just my 2 coppers.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  10:05:35  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's my proposal:

Is someone interested in starting a project about converting the Realms back to the 3.5?

I mean: to keep the new realmslore (ok, I know this is the most controversial issue) and adapt it to the 3.5 rules.

I think keeping the new Realms Lore is the sticking point. Many don't like the changes to the setting. As for the mechanics, in essence all you do is roll a die, or some dice, and either consult a table or compare rolls.

Maybe we should identify a point where the majority express satisfaction then take that as the start. We can call the $E version the Shadow Realms or Counter Faerun. Our version we can call Faerun.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  12:56:16  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I dislike the 4.0 ruleset, I absolutely detest what has happened to the Forgotten Realms setting.

What you're needing to find is someone that likes the changes to the setting, but doesn't like the 4e ruleset. Are there many people that fall into that group?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  16:05:19  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be material in 4E core and FR lore that I'd like to have in my 3.X campaign (e.g. fey stuff, potential future storylines for iconic NPCs). My gaming group won't convert to 4E, whether I wanted to or not, so I'd like to have any positives from 4E lore back in my gaming edition.

If this thread doesn't flush out other interest, feel free to PM me. I don't know the Compendium's parameters or copyright law, but perhaps it's a venue to share any conversions.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  18:04:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of things I will backwards-engineer for my game, like the Warlock Knights of Vassa, but for the most part, 3e is superior to 4e on every level.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  21:56:41  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion most of the changes done to the Realms are really annoying. (I don't bother if they were done to better reflect the $E or 'cause WotC try to simplify anything to something like "diablo")
So my campign will evolve differently as for my point of view there is nothing that is canon from 1380 onward, just loads of different options. Not the Realms I know and love anymore

But I think that it is worth considering how powergroups are pictured. To my own surprise I found it appealing how they react to the turn of events happening between 1370 and 1380.

I have to look further in it, but so far I can imagine to implement somes in a no-spellplague-ever-happened timeline for my FR campaign that remain 3.5E, of course

In the past I said that I would never buy the new campaignbook, but I have to admit that actualy I'm considering this option

Edited by - Dewaint on 22 Aug 2008 21:58:25
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  23:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think most DMs are already planning on doing this. The best part of the game is that we can pick and choose from the lore salad bar.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  23:15:21  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Dewaint and Arion!
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  05:07:21  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of keeping the Lore and simply using the 3.5 rules. Add in the good stuff from Paizo and have at it, I say.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Leon_Stryfe
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Leon_Stryfe's Homepage Send Leon_Stryfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I will not be adhearing to 99% of the 4e changes in my games (I do like the idea of Cormyr expanding), I do have similar plans for one of my games. I plan on taking some established PC's around 100 years into the future, just to test my mettle against that of FR4e's constructors.

You ask me what I crave above all things? Knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  11:51:45  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK... I just received my new 4ed Campaing Setting, I quickly went through it... and well, I must admit, there are a LOT of things I do not agree with!

But, there are also good things it could be possible to keep.

Maybe we can start listing them. What do you think about it?

I think we can also elaborate more about Cormyr expansion and powergroups reaction to the "II Time of Trouble" (aka Spellplague), because of the suggestions from Dewaint, Leon_Stryfe and Artemel.

Edited by - Arioch on 28 Aug 2008 11:59:09
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  22:49:12  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lucky one . I'am still thinking about.
But anyway, I could immagine that most lore that is not directly connected to the spell plague or gods that were slain can be used (or slightly altered) in such a campaign.

I like the idea of an expanding Cormyr, or how most likely the political structure in the Heartlands can evolve in the next 100 years. I guess this can be also true for other regions as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  00:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, I simply know too little of the "New Realms" to judge it all. Some stuff was not as worse as first feared, e.g. what happened to the drow (deities apart).

Yet ... essentially, if you think of your campaigns, most of them will most likely have happened sometime inbetween 1355 and 1375 D.R.. Some gamers might have played with the Netheril box, or some other Arcane Age material, but not that many. That essentially leaves you with some 20,000odd years of Realms untouched by any adventurer's foot - at the table. As in: there is absolutely no reason to use the New Realms that hardly anyone I know likes, if there are 20 millenia of Realms history out there to explore. So let the Wizards flesh out their new stuff, while we take up the no-less monumental task and start creating the Ancient Realms instead?!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 29 Aug 2008 00:39:50
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  19:33:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think it would be far easier to add-in the few things I like from 4e into the Original Realms, rather then try to work the other way (which many are doing, because 4e lore is so sparse).

For instance, my circa 1400 DR campaign WILL have the Warlock Knights of Vassa. I do not need a whole new setting to use them - I think if most people just treated the 4e FRCG as a book of 'options' and 'suggestions', both groups would get along a lot better.

The FRCG is a great book to Cherrypick from, IMHO; just ignore it as canon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Aug 2008 19:35:40
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  11:05:45  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay I completely agree with you.

Maybe with my previous post I was going a little too far from my original proposal, even if I think it could be useful for some player to know which parts of the new lore are the most liked by other players. [good for a new thread?]

My original proposal was something about converting the new "technical" material (as for example: new classes, powers, spells etc) to the old 3.5 system, but I think that we have to wait for the Player's Guide...

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  11:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

I like the idea of keeping the Lore and simply using the 3.5 rules. Add in the good stuff from Paizo and have at it, I say.

Agreed. We have 3.5 warlocks, dragonborn (half-dragons), tieflings and whatnot. We should be able to play the Post-Spellplague setting with the 3.5 ruleset without much hassle.
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  17:00:57  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, fluff and crunch as well can be added to an "Original Realms" campaign. Guess some stuff can be integrated quite fast and other have to wait (from a timeline point of view).

Well said Markustay, IMO everything published as FR $E should be looked at as options and suggestions.

It could also be an option to intergrate crunchy stuff somewhere within the 20 millennia of Realms history left untoched from the FR designer. Like the Arcane Age Netheril Box introduced some different and interesting aspects, this could also be true for a ... let us say ... Imaskari centered Ancient Realms campaign.

(It feels like a post-nuked-world where no old laws exist anymore(canon) and anarchy rules )
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  18:14:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I'm readying Blackstaff Tower (which is a VERY fine read, I must say), I had an idea pop in my head. And I couldn't resist posting it over on the WotC boards (here)

quote:
Posted by MattDroz on WotC board
Something from a young wizard I met in my travels across the 'new' Realms.

quote:

Hi, I'm a young wizard that is studying spellcraft and I have an idea for a new spell. How do I go about creating this spell for use by everyone?

Also, I work with a young smith in Waterdeep and we were wondering how to create new items based on some ideas we had.

Thank you,

Azan Leshere

It comes from the fact that in all previous editions, they gave you some idea on what goes into creating a spell and magic items. But there is nothing in the core books with any way of how to create new stuff. Guess that means we're all restricted to items/spells that Wasbro makes.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 30 Aug 2008 18:16:46
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  01:26:14  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It comes from the fact that in all previous editions, they gave you some idea on what goes into creating a spell and magic items. But there is nothing in the core books with any way of how to create new stuff. Guess that means we're all restricted to items/spells that Wasbro makes.

And it is the same for monsters (and classes alike)... It seemed to me that you are actually unable to create your own...

Unce upon a time you can start playing just buying the 3 core books but now...

Edited by - Arioch on 31 Aug 2008 01:27:23
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  12:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And it is the same for monsters (and classes alike)... It seemed to me that you are actually unable to create your own...

Unce upon a time you can start playing just buying the 3 core books but now...

You might want to check out pages 171-189 of Chapter 10, "The DM's Toolbox," in the Dungeon Master's Guide. The topics covered in those pages are: Customizing Monsters, Creating Monsters, Creating NPCs, Creating House Rules.

Cheers,

Christopher

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000