Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Are dragons edible?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Oroburos69
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  08:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Oroburos69's Homepage Send Oroburos69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has this been written about somewhere? If so, could someone tell me what was written? The piece of dragon in question was the heart of a black dragon which was made into dragon stew. I doubt it'll affect the effects, but the stew had potatoes, onions, dried peppers, and mushrooms in it too. This has become quite a debate so I'd certainly appeciate an answer.

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  09:39:39  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say no....... but in your realms...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  12:55:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adventures of Volo: Dragonwing Stew Dragon #277 (Nov 2000)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  14:40:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say it is edible. But you may want to have different "cuts" of Dragon meat from different dragons require special preparations to be safe to consume.
I think the heart of a black dragon may be "acidic" enough to kill if not prepared correctly, much like puffer fish in Japan. Said heart would have to be removed by a special method to ensure all acid is removed while leaving the highly delectible heart intact and ready to eat.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  15:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eating dragon meat and dragon dragon blood may have unintended side effects such as learning what birds are really saying, which, as 'Monty Python's Flying Circus" revealed years ago, isn't a whole lot.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  17:14:39  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also from the indomitable Volo: Dragon Soup! (Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, p. 150).
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  21:26:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Meat is meat...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  00:04:37  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  02:54:28  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that before anybody tried, the dragon should
probably be killed 1st.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  03:48:26  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  03:51:33  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

I think that before anybody tried, the dragon should
probably be killed 1st.

*Has an image of a halfing walking up to a dragon, "Excuse me? I'm hungry, can I 'borrow' a piece of your tail?" *

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  05:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Has an image of a gnome approaching a dragon not with armor, sword and buckler but with napkin around his neck, knife and fork.*

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  21:24:28  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragons on the verge of extinction?
Obviously you have not looked in
a monster manuel recently.

Edited by - althen artren on 07 Jul 2008 21:25:19
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  21:55:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Dragons on the verge of extinction?
Obviously you have not looked in
a monster manuel recently.

I think he was referring to events within the story he metioned

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  22:59:15  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a short adventure in Adventure Pack 1 or 2 (I forget which one) called "Steaks" which I ran a few years back which is about eating dragonflesh. Yum. Cooks up nice with some aged Chianti.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  03:10:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It taste like Chicken.

And a VERY hungry Halfling with a fork might just be scarier then an angry one with a sword.

Especially if you're on Athas....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  03:27:03  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read in some place that Dragons eat all things. From vegetables Ā“til iron!!!

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  16:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red Dragon: The hottest known meat in the realms. Remember that scene in the Simpsons with Chief Wiggum making the super hot chili? Yeah, thats the minor part. The dark meat is much more hotter. But one of the better tasting meat.

Green Dragon: Poisonous. But tastes so good. Good way to assassanate people though.

White Dragon: Uncookable. It seems like the white dragon meat just cannot get heated, even by magical means. It reminds raw and frozen.

Blue Dragon: Has a bit of a spice to it, like Cumin. However, it sizzles in your mouth, and sends little shocks of joy down ones spine.

Black Dragon: Another poisonious meat. However, this one can be salvaged, if cooked right. Not as good as Green though.

I've yet to decide on how the other dragons would taste. That is how it is in my game though.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  16:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A week and a half ago, at my every-other-week gaming group, we brought down and blue, and my wild dwarf (non-Realmsian of Realmsian design) decided to slice off a bit and eat it (it was responsible for the hobgoblins that killed his tribe). We decided that it was probably spicy, and we talked about the other colors and decided on similar results to what dracons posted above.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  16:39:29  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells stilled, Admins

Can we have a smiley-con of a smile with his tongue out
with a knife on one side and a steak knike in the other.
We do talk about food a lot in this forum.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  16:51:37  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gold Dragons: Taste exactly like Goldschlagger alcohal. Smells of
incense before cooked.
Silver Dragon: Tastes somewhat like Coors beer-silver bullet
Mercury Dragon: Poisonous, metallic taste, not real good.
Brown Dragon: Tastes like chocolate, especially sought for
Spring Celebrations (think Easter and choco bunny)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  17:08:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never been keen on the idea of eating a sentient creature. I'm not vegetarian or vegan or anything (I am happily carnivorous), but if something was capable of holding a conversation with me when it was alive, I don't want it on my dinner plate. This is something that carries thru to my PCs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Jul 2008 17:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  17:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've never been keen on the idea of eating a sentient creature. I'm not vegetarian or vegan or anything (I am happily carnivorous), but if something was capable of holding a conversation with me when it was alive, I don't want it on my dinner plate. This is something that carries thru to my PCs.
I normally wouldn't consider it, but it was in character for this character.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  19:05:39  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If cows would talk, what would they say before you turned them into cheeseburgers?

As an orc, I ate the fingers of other orcs.
Haven't really done any eating sentient creatures myself.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  01:56:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

Interesting point. Particularly given that many of those dragons, and other carnivorous beasties aren't nearly so discriminating. After all, how many times have you heard/played a dragon who toys a bit with his perfectly sentient (well, they are PCs, so I may be overdoing it, I suppose) prey?

Yeah, dragons do it. But they generally have a low opinion of non-dragons, even if they can talk to them.

*shrugs* There are a couple of things in roleplaying that bug my modern, real-world sensibilities. And eating sentient critters is one of them. I've also never really liked the standard thing of looting dead bodies, though I've had my characters do it often enough.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  03:37:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, your point about not eating sentient creatures is precisely the one enforced by the DRAGON editor who once deep-sixed one of Ed's articles ("Dragon Soup"), a collection of monster-use recipes (my "horrid favourite" was Baked Stirge On Toast) that a previous DRAGON editor had specifically asked Ed to write.
So it's a stance that has been taken "officially" before.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  04:17:12  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've also never really liked the standard thing of looting dead bodies, though I've had my characters do it often enough.

And which, I believe, has been standard practice in warfare (at least in the West) for millennia.

As to the topic at hand: metallic dragons taste like sweet, noble virtue... Er, uh, that is to say... *disappears with a puff of smoke and whiff of brimstone*
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  05:57:53  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Draconomicon, the second edition FR product, had some lines on this, as I recall.

I too wrote a short story on this subject, called "Wyrm Food," which appeared in the anthology Fantasy Readers Wanted -- Apply Within. It involved a mad gourmet who hires a dragonslayer to retrieve a dragon brain for him.
Go to Top of Page

Brother Accam
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  06:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Brother Accam's Homepage Send Brother Accam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Wooly, your point about not eating sentient creatures is precisely the one enforced by the DRAGON editor who once deep-sixed one of Ed's articles ("Dragon Soup"), a collection of monster-use recipes (my "horrid favourite" was Baked Stirge On Toast) that a previous DRAGON editor had specifically asked Ed to write.
So it's a stance that has been taken "officially" before.
love,
THO

Any chance of seeing this article included elsewhere sometime in the future THO?

'Too much time spent in stuffy rooms reading old books written by dead men.'
-- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  16:55:42  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it would depend on the character I was playing whether or not they'd eat sentient creature flesh, if they even knew what it was in the first place.

I don't have a problem with characters eating sentient creature meat, properly prepared of course, but it also highly depends on the creature type too. Dragons and other monstrous beings are sufficiently non-anthropomorphic enough to consider putting on the menu, but humanoids are right out, and considering all the other vile and debased things adventurers do during their careers, and have committed upon them, what's on the menu can be have just as much fantasy flavor to it as discovering a new type of magic. Just because we wouldn't eat it doesn't mean Merle the Monster Slayer/Cook doesn't see the potential.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  19:39:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's just one hole in your logic, Wooly.

In FR (or any fantasy setting, for that matter) you can 'talk' to just about anything, just by using magic.

Just ask any Urdunnir Dwarf who had an argument with a rock after he used it as a slingstone.

So you can indeed talk to cows, which to me, makes the idea of eating it afterwards pretty damn gross.

I'd eat it's quiet friend, though.

Bizarre Question that just lept to mind:
Would a Minotaur (one of the more 'civilized' types, like from Taladas) get really mad if he caught you eating a hamburger? Would he even eat one himself?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Jul 2008 19:40:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000