Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 tricks and riddles in a dungeon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Draith
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  02:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Draith's Homepage Send Draith a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if anyone has any riddles or tricks I could use in a dungeon I'm going to be running. The dungeon is going to be the ruins of an old dwarvan city.

"fair is foul and foul is fair"-Shakespeare

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  04:47:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, what would you prefer -- logic puzzles, magic traps, mazes . . . ?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  09:28:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a file, about 300kb in size, in RTF format, that details several very specific and well-constructed gnome designed traps, magic wall-puzzles, logic runes,and several other games. I semi-regularly drop these types of devices into my games just when the party thinks they have everything sorted out, and all their current problems are settled.

I can email it to you if you would like to have a look at it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Draith
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  21:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Draith's Homepage Send Draith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of those sound like good thing to put in the dungeon. I like your idea of keeping the pc's on their toes, by throwing in something when they think it's all perfect. My e-mail is:

Arkman14@hotmail.com

it would be a huge help if you could send it to me. And thanx for the help.

"fair is foul and foul is fair"-Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  05:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While you're at it, could you send it to me as well? They sound interesting.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  12:03:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will try and email the file when I get home or I may have to leave it until Thursday as I have an exam tomorrow and I am trying to finish up my study. I am at the library, at the moment, so I will see how time goes.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  00:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take your time, Sage. There are, unfortunately, more important things than the Realms, and exams are one of them . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Rollo Ruttikin
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  23:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Rollo Ruttikin's Homepage Send Rollo Ruttikin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In one of my campaigns, I had two devilish traps which I thought at the time were rather original.
On trap was a slot machine for greedy players. The player would pull the lever, I would roll some dice and gold would pour out. i did this til the 3rd pull when 3 skulls came up and the small 20 x 20 room locked and filled rapidly with copper pieces.
Another one was a cursed scroll that teleported PCs back to the dungeon where they found the scroll. Not only were they in the dungeon, but the were trapped in a suit of armor that was bolted to the floor. Maybe this helps?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  00:08:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I have a file, about 300kb in size, in RTF format, that details several very specific and well-constructed gnome designed traps, magic wall-puzzles, logic runes,and several other games. I semi-regularly drop these types of devices into my games just when the party thinks they have everything sorted out, and all their current problems are settled.

Hmmm... Have you still got this file, friend Sage? I should like to peruse it...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  00:12:47  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Hmmm... Have you still got this file, friend Sage? I should like to peruse it...

Same!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  00:14:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Same!

Make that 3. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  00:34:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I sent this file to Big Al for inclusion on the Candlekeep mainsite. I'll check.

If not... I'm assumging all your email addresses here are currently valid (well, I know Kuje's and Wooly's are)? What about you Kal?

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  02:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could take a look at the Book of Challenges.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  06:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah Sage ... you really should throw it after Big Al ... i would as an exlample love to look in it as well ... sucks at making traps myslef (and at using them)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  08:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm pretty sure I sent this file to Big Al for inclusion on the Candlekeep mainsite. I'll check.

If not... I'm assumging all your email addresses here are currently valid (well, I know Kuje's and Wooly's are)? What about you Kal?

Well met

It must be stuck in that same void as that map of Candlekeep, Sage Send it over when you manage to locate it and i'll be sure to get it included on the site.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  09:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Draith i use this : D&D Riddels

http://www.dndadventure.com/html/riddles.html

What runs around a city
but never moves?

I have rivers without water,
Forests without trees,
Mountains without rocks
Towns without houses.

Iron roof, glass walls
Burns and burns
And never falls.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 04 Jan 2007 09:54:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  11:25:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

It must be stuck in that same void as that map of Candlekeep, Sage Send it over when you manage to locate it and i'll be sure to get it included on the site.

'Tis sent.

Let me know whether you've received it okay, Big Al...

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  12:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup my email address on here is correct.

As for the book of challenges, I found it had some good ideas in there, but unfortunately there were very few situations where I managed to find a puzzle that was of the appropriate CR and fit in with the scenario.
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  13:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

No, you don't need it.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  16:00:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

No, you don't need it.

Especially considering the time it took your players to figure out what a "wing" is...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  17:18:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

No, you don't need it.

Especially considering the time it took your players to figure out what a "wing" is...

But.... oh fine! (Whispers to Sage, send it anyways)

And grin on the wing.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  18:02:43  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well istead of shouting: 'me too, me too, me too!!!' I kindly ask Alaundo to let all of us know when he puts the new update of the candlekeep site up. Will u do that?!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  09:45:42  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be highly appreciated if i either get it on my e-mail adress or it is published on the site. Email is: shandiris@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  21:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say no to a copy either, please Sage - reefpants(at)hotmail(dot)com. I'll just have to remember that Kaladorm has also had a look through...

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  06:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met.

Did anyone receive this file from Sage way back when? If so, would someone be willing to forward it to me at: <afetbinttuzani@hotmail.com>? Many thanks.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  07:31:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The file is actually stored on an older computer. When I get some free time, I'll try and dig it out of storage.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  10:42:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Well istead of shouting: 'me too, me too, me too!!!' I kindly ask Alaundo to let all of us know when he puts the new update of the Candlekeep site up. Will u do that?!

I am still waiting for Alaundo's confirmation on this one!

No, truely, has this ever been added to the Candlekeep Collection?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  11:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you know if Al inserted it on the site ?
I searched for a short time without succeed in !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  14:46:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well istead of shouting: 'me too, me too, me too!!!' I kindly ask Alaundo to let all of us know when he puts the new update of the Candlekeep site up. Will u do that?!

I am still waiting for Alaundo's confirmation on this one!

No, truely, has this ever been added to the Candlekeep Collection?

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Do you know if Al inserted it on the site ?
I searched for a short time without succeed in !

The answer to both of your questions is no. I don't think Alaundo ever received the updated file, so it's unlikely to be stored anywhere at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  16:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The file is actually stored on an older computer. When I get some free time, I'll try and dig it out of storage.

That would be great, thanks. This file of yours is clearly in hot demand.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  15:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I STRONGLY recommend that people interested in riddles visit Cloud Kingdom, a long-time [Dragon Magazine advertiser, which publishes several game-oriented books of riddles and riddle rooms (see the book samples for a couple of examples); they also have a new riddle each week, ranging from the somewhat easy to the devilshly difficult. Alas, I do not have any of their books, but I like what I have seen, and I think other DMs will, too.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000