Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 1st Edition AD&D Forgotten Realms Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  14:38:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The following have expressed some interest (however small) so far:

Dezmodu, Wooly, Jorkens, AlorinDawn, Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, Mace Hammerhand, Kuje, Rollo Ruttikin and KnightErrantJR.

That is a total of nine people; so I'm going to limit interest to those nine first before considering anyone else. If I don't get enough players from those, then I'll try to recruit others.

So, anyone out of those that are interested, please let me know! I want to keep it to about six people I think.

Honestly, I'm not really into the idea of playing online. I'd far rather sit down face-to-face to play. Plus, I'm in Eastern time (Florida), and my schedule is somewhat erratic. So I'm going to pass. I thank you for thinking to invite me, though.

Well, it is not going to matter what zone folks are in since it is going to be a PBEM game...but I won't be a pest to you, no matter how much I would enjoy having you in on this.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  14:55:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I am not in the best of shapes at the moment, so I am a little weary of joining you at this time. I am tempted, but I am not sure I can guarantee for me being a good addition at the moment.

I will prepare a character just in case though, things might change.

Feel free to both make a character and start with us!

Since this will be a PBEM game now, you need not be able to do any more than read your emails and respond.

I'll respect whatever wish you make of course, but I would greatly enjoy having you in the game...

I've thought a great deal about this game now...and it being a PBEM game will allow for nearly perfect flexibility for the players. Characters could easily be "in the fringe" for a good while and then come back into more constant contact with the rest of the group for an extended period of time.

Again...entirely your choice of course.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  15:34:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah,

I wasn't lookin to use the mechanics (especially since those books don't have much mechanics except for the kits, which I wasn't interested in using). I was only after the lore that was written in the deity entries since it's a lot more detailed then what is in the grey box.

quote:
Hmmm...I don't see why not, so long as we don't use anything mechanical, all the lore should be fine.

I have decided on the starting date: 1357 DR, Hammer the 9th. Anyone playing should have their character within the starting location by that date...

The starting city, however, is going to be Melvaunt instead of Thentia. I like the city a great deal and its ruling families make for a good amount of intrigue (strong hint).

Sooo...

The 9th of Hammer, 1357 DR in the City of Melvaunt.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  18:40:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm mostly done with the mechanics, boy do I miss easy char creation, except I can't seem to find the saving throw charts and I was wondering if we are allowed more then the starting money.....

I'll work out the lore portion of my char in the next day or so.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  18:45:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'm mostly done with the mechanics, boy do I miss easy char creation, except I can't seem to find the saving throw charts and I was wondering if we are allowed more then the starting money.....

I'll work out the lore portion of my char in the next day or so.

Aye, you are indeed allowed more than the starting money. I was going to say players can equip their character with just about any standard gear they want...so I think I'll stick with that.

If there is a magic item or three that you wanted, we need to talk privately about that...my email is:

dalor_darden@yahoo.com

Send anything to that email regarding your character.

As for actual cash on hand to start...there will be very little. We are starting in the harshest month of winter for Melvaunt and I pretty much want the party to be faced with hunger if they don't find some way to make money soon!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  19:20:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
K k.

However, I'm still searching for these charts:

Saving throws.
Height/Weight.
Starting age.

Beyond that I think I got most of the mechanics completed.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  20:10:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious, is there anything in the UA that is of major importance to a gnomish fighter/illusionist?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  00:33:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

K k.

Saving throws.
Height/Weight.
Starting age.

Starting Age is found on page 12 of the DMG.
Saving Throws are on page 79 of the DMG.
Height and Weight are on page 102 of the DMG.

I never realized before that the charts were in the DMG and not the PHB.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  00:35:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just curious, is there anything in the UA that is of major importance to a gnomish fighter/illusionist?

There are additional spells available...however I would think more about awarding these as "treasure" in the campaign since they would be considered more rare and, well...Unearthed Arcana.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  00:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

K k.

Saving throws.
Height/Weight.
Starting age.

hehehe... that, and the to-hit tables IIRC... luckily I have the DMG and UA, and PHB is on the way

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  01:30:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

K k.

Saving throws.
Height/Weight.
Starting age.

Ah! That explains why I couldn't find them. I looked in the phb for over a hr and even did a pdf search/find. :) Okay. I'll dig out my DMG then and fill them in. Thanks!

And hopefully my physical copy of the PHB will be here this week. It was sent alrdy.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  01:47:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are cantrips, and some useful spells that don't appear in the Player's Handbook.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  02:38:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

There are cantrips, and some useful spells that don't appear in the Player's Handbook.

Oh aye! I forgot about the Cantrips! I need to modify the list of information above to include the number of cantrips allowed to each beginning caster.

I'll go with Magic Users and Illusionists having 8 Cantrips to start with. As per the rules on page 45 of the Unearthed Arcana, you may replace any 1st level spell in your spell list of memorized spells with four cantrips.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  02:42:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I forgot about the Cantrips...I'll send you a list of the Illusionist Cantrips if you would like? Just send me a private email and I'll get them back to you!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  03:45:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melvaunt, the “Gateway to Thar” it has been called, the “City of Slaves” by some; and others still call it “The City of Swords” for its manufacture of all things for war. Whatever the name given this city that sits upon the anvil of the Moonsea opposite the often brutal hammer that is Thar, it is a place of adventure.

The eve of the 9th day of Hammer in 1357 DR finds a city more grim than is often common for even the dour folk of Melvaunt. The past few years have been hard for the pride and pockets of the folk living within the smoke filled streets of this ever awake den of ironmongers. Only last year the city was assaulted by dragons who raged south out of the Dragonspine Mountains, Thar and places farther north. The year prior to that Melvaunt was roundly defeated and lost its holdings within the Citadel of the Raven; and soon after the Dragon attack was the echoing reminder of the humiliating loss to Zhentil Keep when Lyran Nanther failed in his bid to conquer Shadowdale…bitter more to the folk of Melvaunt because one of their own would actually seek the support of the Zhentarim to obtain their goals! The Nanther family is still shamed by this event; despite the execution of Lyran and the exile of his supporters among the Nanther family. It seems to the people of Melvaunt that their power has waned since Zhentarim agents saw to the destruction of Hulburg in 1347 DR; a city well beyond the normal reach of Zhentil Keep and “in our backyard” so many say in the streets.

If one were standing upon the ice-bound waters of Melvaunt’s dock looking into the city, it would seem that the bustling streets give no sign of resignation however; the constant pounding of its metal works and other industries in preparation of the coming year of trade are a sure sign that the hardened citizens of this city-state are not the sort to give in to a few years of hard times. Walking along the docks one can see the city’s proud seafarers already hard at work preparing for the thaw that will release their ships to carry cargo sometimes as far away as the Old Empires where the slaves stowed aboard will reward the captain and crew richly. Most often others come here to buy their flesh; but some adventurous captains have made a fortune in a single trip to the likes of dark and brooding Thay.

Walking further, into the heart of the city, to Melvaunt’s Market Square you would see some few winter merchants hawking their hoarded wares at outrageous prices, others having run out of things not produced within the city. Their numbers supplemented by the need of horse traders to finish selling those beasts brought in the fall, caravans that have braved the moorlands of Thar to the north and a surging build up of materials stored here by major merchant lords during winter but to be soon sent to the farthest reaches of reasonable trade. All watched over closely by the city’s Men-at-Arms; the plate clad, halberd wielding soldiers who are not known for mercy when they give an order that is not followed.

The military of Melvaunt is aching for some sort of upswing in its fortunes; it’s only victories in many years have been against minor raiding bands out of Thar. Only Melvaunt’s small navy has had major success against its enemies, making the waters very safe for the city’s shipping interests. The wide ranging patrols of Melvaunt are known to travel as far as caravans headed to Phlan, Thentia and Glister and ranging otherwise only to the Moonwatch Hills to the west and a winding patrol among the nearby farmlands that supplement the city’s food supplies. They are a thoroughly rough lot with only somewhat greater discipline than a mercenary band; and there is a great deal of rivalry between different units that has resulted in outright bloodshed at times. This seemingly chaotic rough and tumble group should not truly be considered without ability to operate on a large scale however; their commanders are capable once pressed to be so.

The bubbling pot of Melvaunt’s military is nothing compared to the three families that for all intents and purposes control the city. The Bruils, Leiyraghons and Nanthers (mentioned in order of increasing power) are both the major mercantile and political powers within Melvaunt. Working for any one of these families even once brands the individual or group as belonging to that family ever after, with only the rarest exception; so many groups will refuse to do so for fear of bringing the enmity of the other two families. Care should be taken by newcomers to evaluate what is in their best interests before making hasty decisions that may ally them with one group or another; individuals asking around in advance of decisions have made various persons of note highly valuable as information brokers akin to heralds of other lands. All should tread carefully when dealing in Melvaunt’s notorious political landscape.

The ruling body of Melvaunt is the Council of Lords consisting of the wealthiest merchants within the city; a position that once awarded is only lost upon death. The current leader of this organization is Lord Envoy Dundeld Nanther, the city’s treasurer is Ghunduilith Leiyraghon, the Lord of Keys (the military leader) is Halmuth Bruil and the Lord of Waves (master of both navy and sea trade) is currently Haelbrand Morenar. These four men hold the true power within Melvaunt; the other 21 members of the Council are usually too busy with trade to care much about the daily affairs of their city.

The city itself, dark and brooding as it is, is well loved by many upon the north coast of the Moonsea. It is the only city with sufficient military strength and trade power to stand against the interests of Zhentil Keep; and by default the Zhentarim. For this reason alone, it is considered the city of choice by merchants seeking the riches of the Dragonspine Mountains and regions as far afield as the Kingdom of Damara where many merchants vie for the coffers full of bloodstones that come from that land. Facing the merchant power of the Zhentarim is a hard task, and merchants seek Melvaunt’s favor to do just that.

Many adventurers also choose Melvaunt as their primary base along the shores of the Moonsea. Hillsfar is trending harshly toward xenophobia, humans coming to truly despise the presence of other races within their city. Zhentil Keep is the well known home of the Zhentarim, a more evil organization is rarely to be found when such would consort with the likes of Beholders and worse! Even Mulmaster is too restrictive because the magical power of the Cloaks who smother the aspirations of any other practitioners of magic. It would seem there is no better and safer place upon the shores of the Moonsea for adventurers to search out the ruins of the fallen Kingdom of Thar or explore the reaches of the Dragonspine Mountains. There are weapons and gear to be had aplenty, and gold to be won from merchant lord paymasters and dragon hoards alike. The only trick is to survive.

EDIT NOTE: After doing some research I changed the order of events for my wrongly stating that Lyran lost in Shadowdale before Melvaunt lost its holdings in the Citadel of the Raven.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 28 Apr 2008 06:29:33
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  04:56:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so the only thing I need now are the characters from you guys...whenever you get them done; but hopefully by mid next week if possible please.

Send them to me in Word Format of some kind, or a PDF file would be fine.

All I need is the basic character information as far as statistics, physical description and history. The last two actually are most important for me.

After I get the characters, I'll spin a story about how you all come to be working together...then we can get started.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  05:11:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I worked on mine on and off all day. I only got to give her a name and I got a mental image on how she looks and I got to sit down and type it up. Her background is slowly being thought about and I hope I might have typed up sometime morrow.

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Apr 2008 05:50:50
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  05:32:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I worked on mine on and off all day. I only got to give her a name and I got a mental image on how she looks and I got to sit down and type it up. Her desc is slowly being thought about and I hope I might have typed up sometime morrow.

Out of curiosity...what race/class are you planning to play?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  05:51:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I worked on mine on and off all day. I only got to give her a name and I got a mental image on how she looks and I got to sit down and type it up. Her desc is slowly being thought about and I hope I might have typed up sometime morrow.

Out of curiosity...what race/class are you planning to play?

Half-moon elf druid. :)

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  11:51:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, no reason to get hold of the UA at the moment then. there are enough spells in the PH for a 2l character anyway. There are some Gygax spells in a Dragon article, but I don't think I will use these.

Out of curiosity, will you use the weapons modifications against armour-types?

Again, I am really unsure if i will be able to join the game, but it is best to be prepared.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  13:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good gods...I forgot about wpn vs armor... the horror

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  17:56:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK, no reason to get hold of the UA at the moment then. there are enough spells in the PH for a 2l character anyway. There are some Gygax spells in a Dragon article, but I don't think I will use these.

Out of curiosity, will you use the weapons modifications against armour-types?

Again, I am really unsure if i will be able to join the game, but it is best to be prepared.

Aye, I will be using the rules for weapon vs. AC found in the player's handbook...however, these modifications will ONLY be against someone wearing armor. Natural armor class of monsters or those having a dexterity bonus will have no penalty or bonus against their armor class.

You will notice that the AC chart only goes to those armor classes available with the wearing of armor and doesn't take into account lower values that could be gained by dexterity or magical bonuses. Keep in mind when selecting your weapons that you will be choosing weapons based on the type of armor (often with shield) that you will be attacking.

For Example:

Bjor, son of Kjor, a Barbarian of The Ride is charging down a Zhentilar soldier on foot with his lance. The Zhentilar is wearing Chainmail and holds a shield as well, giving him an AC of 4 with his armor, but an AC of 3 because of his dexterity bonus. Bjor's light lance is at a -1 to hit the Zhent and not a -2 because only the Zhent's ACTUAL armor counts against Bjor's attack and not his dexterity. Bjor is still attacking an AC of 3, but suffers only a -1 to his attack.

After missing his charge, Bjor pulls his horse about, dropping his lance he pulls his longsword from its scabbard and goes at the Zhentilar Man-at-Arms again, this time with no penalty on his attacks.

So...it is a bit more complicated than what most are probably used to in 3.5; but to me I like the way it reflects how certain weapons in history were better against certain armors.

I will be the one that keeps track of all this if you guys want, I played these rules for so long that they are coming back to me easily now.

Simple Rule: weapon bonus/penalty is only against those wearing actual armor; and then only against the actual armor value, not the final armor class.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  18:14:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what its worth, from play by post games I've noticed its a lot easier to keep track of more complicated rules since you don't feel like you are holding up the game to look something up on a given page, and your response doesn't force everyone to get "out of character" while you look something up.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  18:17:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

For what its worth, from play by post games I've noticed its a lot easier to keep track of more complicated rules since you don't feel like you are holding up the game to look something up on a given page, and your response doesn't force everyone to get "out of character" while you look something up.

Exactly! I'm really excited about that part of the game...it will allow a constant flow of story with no seeming interuption. I'm really glad I was convinced to make this a PBEM game!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  18:26:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it is just a quick put together, but the starting website for this PBEM game will be located at:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Melvaunt_ADnD/

It is approval only joining, so any attempt to join will go by me first...be sure to include who you are for me when attempting to join.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  20:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once I have my 1st edition PHB here, I get rolling.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  22:52:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sent my char to Dalor. :)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  02:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dezmodu, Wooly, Jorkens, AlorinDawn, Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, Mace Hammerhand, Kuje, Rollo Ruttikin and KnightErrantJR.

That is a total of nine people; so I'm going to limit interest to those nine first before considering anyone else. If I don't get enough players from those, then I'll try to recruit others.

Wow, that's a nice offer. However, I do want you to know that I have ZERO experience with 1st edition rules. I know about it only vaguely, and I have no 1E books either. If I play, I'll need help with that.

Also, I do live in the Eastern time zone.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  03:46:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Wow, that's a nice offer. However, I do want you to know that I have ZERO experience with 1st edition rules. I know about it only vaguely, and I have no 1E books either. If I play, I'll need help with that.

1E and 2E are similar enough that if you know one, you can wing the other. The classes and spell lists are a little different in 1E, and I don't think 1E had proficiencies, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  04:02:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Hey RF, did you see that link that I posted earlier in the thread for OSRIC? Those rules are a pretty good summary of the basics of 1st edition. As Wooly said, its a lot like 2nd edition, but a with a few fuzzier areas in the rules.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000