Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  01:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok. See, I'm taking over this thread. See, I wants all youse plugs to listen and listen good. You been holding out and you're going to open your yap and tip your mit. Give up the goods, and I mean but good. If you won't sing I'm going to put the screws on; even pump metal if I hafta. Capiche?

What is "Tracker" of the Harpers real name and what region do they operate in?

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.

Edited by - Ionik Knight on 08 Sep 2010 01:40:05
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  01:40:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should brainstorm a few new ideas for the challenge, perhaps in an attempt to rejuvenate interest?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  02:43:34  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Break it up into monthly categories?

One month people, next month items, following month locations?

Or maybe we should just start punning!

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  04:08:30  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still monitor the thread, but I've not known the answer to the last few queries.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  04:38:06  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any movement on altering the parameters of the challenge? I always enjoyed the trivia challenge, and would hate to see it go the way of the dodo.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  05:04:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll leave that for the Furry Hamster to decide.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  06:12:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What parameters would you recommend changing?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  16:24:00  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really have any coherent thoughts on the subject. I'm just hoping that we can do something to re-invigorate the Challenge. If I *had* to make a suggestion, I'd maybe alter the time parameters. I'm guessing that maybe trying to follow a thread for day after day might have caused some scribes to lose interest over time. Again, nothing concrete, but I was hoping to restart the Challenge soon, even if still under the old rules.

Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  14:12:53  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys - I'm aware that some of you have tried to cast a resurrection spell or two on this thread before and that this could be all be for nowt, however I still thought I'd get the defribrillators out and give it a go - clear!

What was the the elf name for the collective three nycaloths known as the 'Trio Nefarious' and what were their individual names?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  22:42:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Khov'Anilessa (Trio Nefarious) were named Aulmpiter, Gaulguth, and Malimshaer.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  22:46:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iahn Qoyllor

Hi guys - I'm aware that some of you have tried to cast a resurrection spell or two on this thread before and that this could be all be for nowt, however I still thought I'd get the defribrillators out and give it a go - clear!

As far as resurrections go, it worked for me - I've NEVER even seen this thread before...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  23:39:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

The Khov'Anilessa (Trio Nefarious) were named Aulmpiter, Gaulguth, and Malimshaer.

Including a source for your answer would be appreciated. It's not required, but providing the source better enables others to look up the info, too

Also, the person that is first to provide the correct answer can then pose the next question.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2016 :  00:32:09  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

The House of Wonders in Baldur's Gate is the answer.

New question: why does Uthegenthal shave his head?

As I recall, he had short, spiked hair, not shaved (might be from an older source). I have a guess for the answer, but I have to pass since I had the last question.

This is an OLD question, I see, but since there is an attempt at resurrection, going on, why not start here :)...

In the Menzoberranzan boxed set, Uthegenthal, Patron and Weapons master of Barrison Del'Armgo, was described thus:

"Uthegentel is one of the largest drow ever seen in Menzoberranzan. He wears his white hair short-cropped and spiked, and often paints his face with zig-zagging lines of red and yellow."

There was also a picture, making him one of the few named personalities to get a portrait. RS described him in his book Siege Of Darkness, before he was killed by the werewolf Bidderdoo, thus:

Standing near six feet, with a muscled torso that weighed close to two hundred pounds, Uthegental was the largest dark elf in Menzoberranzan, one of the largest of the normally slender race ever seen in the Underdark. More than size distinguished the fierce weapons master, though. While Jarlaxle was considered eccentric, Uthegental was simply frightening. He cropped his white hair short and spiked it with the thick, gelatinous extract gained by boiling rothé udders. A mithral ring was stuck through Uthegental’s angular nose, and a golden pin protruded through each cheek.

I have not found anything about him shaving his head, though I guess some other later novel in the WotSQ or LP series might have mentioned him briefly, despite his being dead...

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 24 Jun 2016 00:41:42
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2016 :  13:19:42  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael
New question: why does Uthegenthal shave his head?

Isn't he the one who cropped his hair after an apparent defeat in a sparring test of skill with Zaknafein? Can't remember the source, but it is in one of Drizzt's origins trilogy books, or in the Menzoberranzan boxed set.

EDIT: The reference is on the Menzoberranzan box, where he is named "Uthegentel". Check Zaknafein's entry.

QUESTION: Who named Soora Thea, and by which other name was she known?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 24 Jun 2016 13:33:51
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2016 :  22:52:28  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soora Thea was what the "forest folk" called Zoastria because they could not say Zoastria. She was one of the elves who wielded Arlyn's moonblade before her, and then went to sleep for a long time so she could be woken up and die so someone who already had the moonblade could take it back after she took it back :)

This is from Elaine's novel Silver Shadows.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2016 :  13:01:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, now post a question.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  04:55:34  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: Who is Alauneth Orrane and what does she use to incapacitate her targets?

Hint: this comes from the very first FR adventure I ever played.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 01 Jul 2016 00:01:19
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  01:37:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A tough beginning, to start in Undemountain. She is the Black Viper, and IIRC she uses globes with a sleep smoke or something like that...

QUESTION: Where can you find Lyra Sunrose?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  02:12:42  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the ecologies :)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2016 :  12:19:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean, where in the Realms? And since you found her, post a new question together with the answer...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  03:11:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alrighty. She can be found in the forest of Cormanthor.

I think I'm going to try for a bit more difficult.

Who was Dabratha, from where did she come, and what was her fate?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  03:14:03  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alrighty. She can be found in the forest of Cormanthor.

I think I'm going to try for a bit more difficult.

I'll be impressed if you find this one as quickly Barastir :)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  11:12:48  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It sounds a lot like "Ilbratha", which was the first source I thought of. Maybe a sister blade? But I couldn't search in my files at home, for yesterday was my son's first birthday... I'm gonna check it out tonight. Anyway, I've checked the rules in the first page and we are not following some rules, like giving some time between our answers for others to participate...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 06 Jul 2016 11:13:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  11:54:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Anyway, I've checked the rules in the first page and we are not following some rules, like giving some time between our answers for others to participate...

I've not been sweating that, since participation is, at this moment, limited.

Need to update those rules, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  14:13:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, for one, have never looked at the first page or the rules :P, but that is why I chose this question - I think it will put everyone to the trivia test... should give a little time for everyone who wants to play to chime in. I expect Ed or THO would get it, but otherwise I think this is a pretty tough one.

In response to your theory: I had not noticed the similarities in the names there, however I can tell you she is not a sword, nor is she a mistress as far as I know :)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  18:23:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see this scroll resurrected! Now I just need something I can answer

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 06 Jul 2016 18:24:33
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  22:01:21  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Start reading through your obscure lore and find this answer Red!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  00:51:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Start reading through your obscure lore and find this answer Red!

It might be better to give a hint on the obscure ones that allow a spread of sources to be consulted. In other words, a pre/post Spellplague tag might assist. I for one have no idea who or what Dabratha is. But if the reference is post-Spellplague then that isn't surprising.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 07 Jul 2016 00:51:36
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  04:38:33  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very pre spellplague, created by Ed in the late 90s I think.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  13:27:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We may want to do a hint a day

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page