Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  10:02:42  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Excellent question that one - have the info on my computer - just need to remember the source :)

Good luck Damian! I also won't be giving a clue yet today, as a cryptic clue of sorts was already given with the question.

I have it now - but I think I am still in the 'can't answer for a week' embargo as I answered/asked one recently

If it's not answered by the weekend I'll have my turn :)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  17:51:33  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have it now - but I think I am still in the 'can't answer for a week' embargo as I answered/asked one recently

If it's not answered by the weekend I'll have my turn :)

quote:
Wooly on Page 1

2. It is requested that any scribe answering a question refrain from doing so again for five days. There are plenty of people who know a lot, but others need to have a chance.

'Tis but half a tenday, and you are therefore allowed to answer by rights. You last answer was on the 13th already.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  16:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

For my question, I want to know:
What is any one of the three known uses of “thaebra”?

Clue 1: It helps that I'm doing research for the 'Realmspeak' list.
Clue 2: One can possibly hurt you, one can remove something and another can change something.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  20:35:29  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clue 3: It can be a dark blue, sticky paste, and is used in this form for two of its uses.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  18:07:38  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clue 4: Dried and powdered, and then dissolved in water gives it its third use.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  20:42:35  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thaebra:

Can be used as a 'bleach' it will remove stains and dyes from skin as well as turning any hair white.

Source: Ed's Realmslore article on the wizards website entitled The Black Mysteries

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  10:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thaebra

Correct (as I expected, was just eagerly waiting for you to answer)!

The three uses are:
1. As a cosmetic to remove stains and dyes on the skin.
2. As a 'hair bleach'.
3. As a combustable when mixed with... well go read the article Damian pointed out...

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  12:09:22  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where in the Realms do they celebrate the 'Night of the Seven Moons'

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  12:49:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where in the Realms do they celebrate the 'Night of the Seven Moons'

Cheers

Damian

At the Iota Theta Mu frat house, particularly on keg delivery day.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  12:55:34  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clue time:

One of the recurring themes in Realmslore is the 'seven somethings' (seven lost gods, seven rings of Mhzentul etc). I like this ongoing bedrock that brings life and verisimilitude to a fantasy world.

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  14:23:11  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seven Somethings indeed! Actually it took me awhile to figure it out. I was thinking it sounded Selune-ish so I was checkin in the god books, then tried the Volo's guides, FR Adventures, The orginal box set, the 2e box set, then I come across the Seven Sisters. Of course! There it is.
"In Chessenta, they celebrate the Night of the Seven Moons, when..."
-Forgotten Realms Accessory: The Seven Sisters pg 5

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  16:00:17  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D'oh!I *just* missed out on it. Good work getting there first, Silversword.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  00:30:57  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

Seven Somethings indeed! Actually it took me awhile to figure it out. I was thinking it sounded Selune-ish so I was checkin in the god books, then tried the Volo's guides, FR Adventures, The orginal box set, the 2e box set, then I come across the Seven Sisters. Of course! There it is.
"In Chessenta, they celebrate the Night of the Seven Moons, when..."
-Forgotten Realms Accessory: The Seven Sisters pg 5

Excellent - the floor is yours

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  23:16:17  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! This is my first question here, so I better make it a good one (and hopefully one that hasnt been asked already).

Recite in its entirety Kelmara of Arabel's response to Verilux's rebuttal before the Council of Sages in 1346 DR.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  00:12:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Awesome! This is my first question here, so I better make it a good one (and hopefully one that hasnt been asked already).

Recite in its entirety Kelmara of Arabel's response to Verilux's rebuttal before the Council of Sages in 1346 DR.

I'm pretty sure this one hasn't been asked before... And while I didn't recall the exact rebuttal, I recalled the nature of it, and knew exactly where to find it. I was just thinking about some stuff in that particular source the other day...

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  00:57:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That IS an excellent question - don't have a clue where that might be, but am guessing from the chapter piece from an Ed novel?

Much much better than the first question I asked

Off to read some books

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  12:58:55  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Wooly's got it! I do love all the little sage and tome excerpts in that one, oop but I dont want to give anything away.
As a hint I will say that, no, its not from a novel.

Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  16:14:37  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another hint: It's from a game accessory

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  01:25:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could also provide a good hint.

Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  07:11:51  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I could also provide a good hint.

Go for it man!
I For 1 give really sucky hints.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  17:06:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. The game accessory in question is not the only one to bear the same title.

Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  22:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Collops!"

The clue sent me in the right direction

Edited by - Doc Filth on 05 Jun 2010 22:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  05:44:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Filth

"Collops!"

The clue sent me in the right direction

Heh, that was the intent.

The source in question was the first Draconomicon, the 2E one, FOR1. And for the record, other FR sourcebooks with reused names (or ones very, very close to the same) include Lords of Darkness, Drow of the Underdark, and Shining South.

Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  07:17:43  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, indeed.
Doc Filth has the floor.

I'm still wondering what "Collops" means? Im guessing its the Realms equivalent of BS.

Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  08:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK...

Who died of exposure in Roaringford?
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  09:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if somebody could remind where Roaringford *is*, I'd be grateful...
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  15:11:08  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a town near Baldur's Gate, Roaringford ?

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  07:31:38  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, that's Roaringshore.

The context of the answer to my question doesn't seem like that fits, either.

Edited by - Doc Filth on 07 Jun 2010 07:32:08
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  22:58:44  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another Hint?
I'll admit I'm clueless on this one. Never even heard of Roaringford, let alone who died there of exposure. OF course dying of exposure makes me think its up north somewhere, or possibly around the Great Glacier, of course this is the Realms so someone could die of exposure anywhere, depending on what they are exposed to!

Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  18:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, been off-line a few days.

Right, a clue that doesn't give it away directly: the answer is in a 2nd Edition book that has no maps in it.

Does that narrow it down at all?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000