Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  12:42:43  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im interested, I just have no idea who it is.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  16:26:32  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, then: If this doesn't tip someone off, I'm gonna have a hard time coming up with any more clues: So, Sage, you might just have to jump in and answer this one anyway
He has been known to advise Bara, Druid of the High Moor

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  20:11:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohhh, well that would be Vincin, Elminster's Ecologies Appendix 2 p.5
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  21:58:25  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Ohhh, well that would be Vincin, Elminster's Ecologies Appendix 2 p.5

Spot on, old sport.
The floor is Kilvan's.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2010 :  11:18:35  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a question ready at the moment, I'll try to post something today.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  22:20:40  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay, here's an easy one: Who wields "the captain's cutlass"
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  12:34:18  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint: Its owner is said to be able to pilot any sailing craft, in any conditions, and to never shy away from a challenge.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  13:34:52  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Hint: Its owner is said to be able to pilot any sailing craft, in any conditions, and to never shy away from a challenge.

The owner sounds godlike to me.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  20:12:57  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does he? But then, you know rumors...
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2010 :  20:29:50  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
need another hint? Ok, here it is: He is (or was) a captain from Mintarn who dared challenge Umberlee and won.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2010 :  12:14:50  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, Im not sure what hint to give, without giving the answer away. I'd say that Bakra pretty much gave a hint already, and a good one.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2010 :  17:40:41  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it but am not allowed to answer again so soon... and I doubt that this will take 2 more days for someone to answer.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  00:12:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may have to take this one... But I don't have another question handy!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  00:40:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I may have to take this one... But I don't have another question handy!

Ditto! I just haven't had the time to flick through my books lately, so...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  03:59:16  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So while we're waiting for an answer... what sort of question is a good one for the trivia challenge? The one that I just used (which Kilvan answered), for instance: was that too cornercase? I kind of thought so, but then again, anything less obscure tends to be answered in minutes. So, how obscure is too obscure?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  05:09:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

So while we're waiting for an answer... what sort of question is a good one for the trivia challenge? The one that I just used (which Kilvan answered), for instance: was that too cornercase? I kind of thought so, but then again, anything less obscure tends to be answered in minutes. So, how obscure is too obscure?

Perhaps the most obscure question I've seen thus far was in the original Trivia Challenge, when someone asked a question that could only be answered with one source (at the time, at least) -- and that source was the manual for an old computer game. It was things like that that made me formulate the rules as written on the first page of this thread.

Sometimes it's not so much an obscure question as it is that not many people have the source material, or they have it and can't find or get to it. I myself prefer to make a question more obscure by clever wording.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  23:22:25  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I thought the question I'm currently asking is really easy (considering the hints so far), but then, what's easy for one is not necessarily easy for another. As for how much obscure a source can be, I think that with the sourcebooks I own, I could answer about 2/3 of the trivias. If the source is a dragon magazine, I cannot answer, so I'd consider that obscure, but that's just me.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  10:49:55  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that was Valkur

When I'm right the next question would be: What is the name of Vangerdahasts warpony in 1370/71 DR?
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  11:15:20  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, the floor is yours my friend.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  12:01:35  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No ideas?

Hint: I think you need to have read Beyond the high road or Death of a Dragon to know it.

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 04 Mar 2010 12:02:26
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  10:23:16  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm ok if nobody knows this I've got an alternate question:

Who found the basic material Karsus needed for his Avatar spell and what was it?
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  00:50:21  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for your original question, Jarlaxle, I believe Vangerdahast's horse's name was Cadimus during those years.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  09:49:21  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes thats correct :)

If you want to post I new question I will post the solution of the other one
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  21:57:10  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

That would be great, I did a bunch of reading and never could find the answer to it.

The next question is:

How is Death Cheese reputed to be made?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  22:58:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

quote:

That would be great, I did a bunch of reading and never could find the answer to it.

The next question is:

How is Death Cheese reputed to be made?

By casting raise dead on old wheels of cheese. Undead cheddar, in particular, is known to be quite vicious.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  23:04:16  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know the exact process but I do know that it uses catoblepas milk.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  09:45:41  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[brThat would be great, I did a bunch of reading and never could find the answer to it.

The answer would be the wizard Candlemas who found some star metal which has fallen from the sky and so he was teleported 300 years into the future by Karsus into his timeline so he could use the star metal for his expieriments with super heavy magic that lead him to his avatar spell.

What the answer to your question is, I have no clue ;)
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  12:13:51  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The answer would be the wizard Candlemas who found some star metal which has fallen from the sky and so he was teleported 300 years into the future by Karsus into his timeline so he could use the star metal for his expieriments with super heavy magic that lead him to his avatar spell.

What book was that in?

You're halfway there, Knight of the Gate. So here is a clue:
Oversensitive nares are involved.

Edited by - wintermute27 on 19 Mar 2010 12:17:40
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  13:13:13  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What book was that in?

Its in Dangerous Games from the Netheril Triology. You can also find some hints in Netheril Empire of magic
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2010 :  13:24:32  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a little bit more that I was looking for, but I will accept the catoblepas answer.

Taken from Aurora's Whole Realms Cataloge (p.122):
"...the cheese is reputed to come from the services of blind monks who locate their herds by sense of smell. Actually, out of work adventurers are pressed into service to herd and milk these creatures, and the monks do the actual production."

Now, who gets the next question, Knight of the Gate or Capnvan?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000