Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  01:09:30  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What would one find buried under the ruins of Oldcoats Inn in Halfhap?

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  01:36:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

A lot of rocks, and one very old dog bone!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  06:34:47  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hint #1 The thing(s) in question was first discovered in the Year of the Spur by a band of adventurers, though to my knowledge it remains there still.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  22:16:01  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hint #2 These adventurers originally called themselves 'The Swords of Espar', though they became much more well known under a different name.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2009 :  04:57:26  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hint #3 There were two others present at the discovery that were not a part of the aforementioned adventuring group, one Sir Taltar "Dauntless" Dahauntul of The Purple Dragons and Lady Laspeera Naerinth of the War Wizards.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2009 :  12:15:55  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it where the knights of Myth Drannor fought the Zhents for a portal leading to Suzail in Sword of Dragonfire? (It's been a while) I couldn't find anything in non-novel sources.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2009 :  16:45:49  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Isn't it where the knights of Myth Drannor fought the Zhents for a portal leading to Suzail in Sword of Dragonfire? (It's been a while) I couldn't find anything in non-novel sources.

Well, the answer is there, so I will give it to you. The 9 Dragonfire Swords are currently buried below the ruins of Oldcoats Inn in Halfhap.
(Swords of Dragonfire by Ed GReenwood, Chapter 15)

I was reading The Annotated Elminster and in one of Ed's notes he said he likes to leave magic items and little unresolved issues scattered about in his books so that readers can take them and use them in their own games and stories. Ever since I read this book I've been wondering, just what are the powers of these mystic blades, and how can I use them in my next game, but this is a topic for another scroll.

Kilvan, the floor is yours.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2009 :  11:29:11  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh that's was it, the swords of dragonfire (duh!). All I remembered clearly was the chapter with Manshoon, Vangey, Khelben and Elminster in front of the destroyed inn, priceless.

So, the next question: Who is the only person known to have stormed the ghoul-hold of Hellgate Keep and lived to tell the tale?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  12:01:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Ahh that's was it, the swords of dragonfire (duh!). All I remembered clearly was the chapter with Manshoon, Vangey, Khelben and Elminster in front of the destroyed inn, priceless.

So, the next question: Who is the only person known to have stormed the ghoul-hold of Hellgate Keep and lived to tell the tale?

Its Mintiper Moonsilver

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20010829d

I am sure we have had this question before?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 16 Dec 2009 12:14:55
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  12:54:28  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct.

Have we? Oh well, the floor is yours anyway.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2009 :  02:21:19  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry been without internet for two days:

Question:

Thavverdasz killed which King?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2009 :  02:58:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Sorry been without internet for two days:

Question:

Thavverdasz killed which King?

Cheers

Damian

Elvis! Thavvie opened a portal into Elvis's bathroom in Graceland...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Dec 2009 02:59:53
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2009 :  08:34:48  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rundorl Moonsklan, "The Harper King"
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2009 :  01:18:28  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Name the archmage who created the scepter that Elminster discovered, concealed, and then later used to gruesomely strike at the fiend who held him captive in the Year of Wild Magic.

Edited by - The Simbul on 28 Dec 2009 01:24:05
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  21:10:58  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint #1
The archmage who created the scepter is neither native to the Nine Hells, nor is [he/she/it] one of those whom were sent by Mystra to rescue Elminster.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2009 :  23:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

Hint #1
The archmage who created the scepter is neither native to the Nine Hells, nor is [he/she/it] one of those whom were sent by Mystra to rescue Elminster.

The archmage is Telamont Tanthul: (Elminster in Hell, p. 302)
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  07:21:36  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, the very scepter that aided Elminster in obtaining his freedom had in fact been enspelled long ago by the very archmage whose sons had been sent to eliminate him. How I do love the irony.

The floor in yours.

Edited by - The Simbul on 31 Dec 2009 07:23:37
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  09:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

Indeed, the very scepter that aided Elminster in obtaining his freedom had in fact been enspelled long ago by the very archmage whose sons had been sent to eliminate him. How I do love the irony.

The floor in yours.

The floor in my what? Why I never! (mock outrage, feigned umbrage )
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  09:27:37  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All that nonsense aside, here's a lore question to ponder whilst sipping the bubbly (or brewerly) as we wring out the Old and ring in the New:

In what benign event does the evil goddess Shar participate regularly, which the goodly powers of the Realms do not oppose?
(I'm looking for a specific phrase )

Edited by - Aysen on 31 Dec 2009 09:29:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  14:09:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

All that nonsense aside, here's a lore question to ponder whilst sipping the bubbly (or brewerly) as we wring out the Old and ring in the New:

In what benign event does the evil goddess Shar participate regularly, which the goodly powers of the Realms do not oppose?

Sune's Annual Divine Wet T-Shirt Contest?

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  20:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Wooly that's not correct, though the correct event does leave its observers "star-struck"

Hint #1 : It was Mr. Greenwood himself, who came up with the phrase, while giving us a bit more insight into a certain realm of Magelords.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  21:48:36  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, I know where the answer is, but my friend who owns the source is about 4 states away and my local library is no help either...

I know the event, but not the exact phrasing. I don't suppose that's enough?

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2010 :  03:04:47  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wintermute27,

Let's give it a couple days, and if no one else gives an answer by then, I'll call on you again for your answer. This should also give you a bit more time to contact your friend and see if you can find the formal answer between the two of you. Alternatively, if you know the source of the answer, I don't think it's too gauche if you happened to find it in a bookstore and browse through it briefly to find the phrase.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  00:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint #2:

One one occasion of the event, a beautiful sorceress was just approaching a castle (wherein once dwelt the vampire lord of Waterdeep), and attended a rather interesting feast there.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  01:15:58  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing as its been a couple days and I'm out of ready hint material at hand, I'm going to ask wintermute27 to go ahead with his ready response.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  05:43:30  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That would be "..the hour of the Casting of the Cloak, when the goddess Shar hurled her vast garment of purple darkness and glittering stars across the sky."
-Elminster, the Making of a Mage by Ed Greenwood

(I had to visit the bookstore for this one. Alas, my local library failed me. They only had Elminster in Myth Drannor, Elminster's Daughter, and Elminster in Hell)

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  08:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That would be "..the hour of the Casting of the Cloak, when the goddess Shar hurled her vast garment of purple darkness and glittering stars across the sky."
-Elminster, the Making of a Mage by Ed Greenwood

(I had to visit the bookstore for this one. Alas, my local library failed me. They only had Elminster in Myth Drannor, Elminster's Daughter, and Elminster in Hell)

You are 100% correct sir.
For my part, I found that same quote in the anthology Best of the Realms II - Stories of Ed Greenwood from the story "Not the Most Successful of Feasts".

I yield the floor to you.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  14:58:50  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This tranquil green glade is described in the following ballad, composed by an unknown minstrel:
quote:

There is a place in the deep green wood
Where the dryad Olsheirie dwells
Dancing where a keep once stood
Girt with magic of chiming bells.

Came I there by happy chance
And there I'll thither go again
To dream more dreams of fair romance
For by the pool I know no pain.

Trees old and green, dark and still
Ring 'round an oak as old as time
Fall down keep and rise up hill
Rest and hear the dryad rhyme.

Kindled by the dying embers
Of a fire that must not stay
Magic soars and then remembers
Warding me again away.

Back I'll go when I am able
Though long rides may lie between
Peace again upon my table
Lying on the moss so green.

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  16:58:31  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starfall pool?

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  19:02:59  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is correct, sir. More information can be found about this wonderful location in the article by Ed in Dragon #296, p.74-77.

The floor is yours.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000