Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2009 :  12:18:07  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, I was myself about to cheat. I guess I'll try to find it to good old way "reaches for books".
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2009 :  06:05:27  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint #1: This coastal trade city is sometimes called "The City of a Thousand Temples".

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2009 :  10:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok...just a quick question....Wht is considered Cheating here?....isn't one source just as good as another?....just curious so I don't overstep bounds...and offend the nature of this thread..
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2009 :  11:06:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pm sent Drizztmanchild...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2009 :  14:02:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Using Google to find an answer has never been ruled out. Most people opt against it, but I've never ruled it out.

Since those who answer the questions are encouraged to also provide the source, I've not considered it to be an issue. Google may have the answer, but it doesn't always give a source -- or if it does, it doesn't give the page number.

All of the rules are in the first post on the first thread.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2009 :  14:08:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot about google...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2009 :  23:59:02  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint #2: This city is the headquarters of The Guild of Foreign Trade.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2009 :  02:19:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, with the help of the first two hints, I found the answer. I'm still looking for the correct source that would make a link to the original question, about its ancient name.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2009 :  07:49:01  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

well, with the help of the first two hints, I found the answer. I'm still looking for the correct source that would make a link to the original question, about its ancient name.

I have been told that the Red Wizards often recall forgotten lore through esoteric magical methods of revisiting their Dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2009 :  11:12:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

quote:

I have been told that the Red Wizards often recall forgotten lore through esoteric magical methods of revisiting their Dreams.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2009 :  11:58:24  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehehe I see, then I cannot answer that one, because I don't own that source.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2009 :  15:34:48  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hmmm, I didn't know that, but that reminds me...

Did you hear about when that Bound demon escaped from Szass Tam's lab, despite all his Spell preparations?

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2009 :  23:26:23  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok I got it. Bezantur began its long life as Kensten, Spellbound p.25. Somehow, I don't feel any pride for finding the answer
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  02:27:23  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's alright. The floor is yours!

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  12:28:06  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I don't have much time, so here's the first question that comes to mind: These people are taking a nature-worshipping path, allowing their body to slowly turn into plants, who are they?

Edited by - Kilvan on 25 Nov 2009 12:28:42
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  11:15:57  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint #1: To follow that path, one must, amongst other things, have made a peaceful contact with a treant.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  14:26:43  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You speak of the Forest Masters of Silvanus (Faiths & Pantheons p193-194)
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  18:34:09  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
indeed, the floor is yours.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2009 :  05:00:19  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Spellfire

Spellfire is the raw energy of the Weave. It can be manipulated in two ways. Mystra gives the silver fire ability to her Chosen and certain other favored servants. The spellfire ability--the wielding of true spellfire--is by far the more powerful of these rare and precious talents. It is a random gift bestowed upon only a handful of women and men in a generation...

-Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, page 56.

With that said I pose the following challenge:

Tell me of three ways within the 3E/3.5 era rules in which a Player Character can explicitly gain and use Spellfire or Silver Fire--in any form or variant thereof--WITHOUT having the Chosen of Mystra template or the Spellfire Wielder feat.

The power gained can be any version of the above, or be a minor/limited variant, so long as it is defined in name or description as being "spellfire" or "silver fire".

In all cases it must be obtainable within the context of the 3e/3.5 rules as written, it must not come from the Chosen of Mystra template or Spellfire Wielder feat, and it must not be the result of DM improvisation or Mystra simply granting the ability outside of any reason, condition, or reward spelled out in a rulebook to explain why she does so.

Edited by - The Simbul on 28 Nov 2009 05:07:23
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2009 :  06:24:51  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmmm... This is a bit trickier than I thought it'd be. I've found one, but the other two are eluding me.

Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2009 :  07:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch, that's a difficult one.

Er... a large number of Wish spells?

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2009 :  16:10:01  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hints:

Those brave souls, who followed the hand of The High One to Watcher's Knoll to save a "dying" mage, may find themselves blessed with the power to defeat the one she could not overtake. Thrice may ye call upon it in thy life, and once more it may be renewed by praying at the shrine of the one who bestowed this boon--whom herself is no deity of magic, and yet she carries the blessings of three.

Those who carry much Art into the Fallen Lands may fall run afoul of witches who are not there, and who likely never were. These weave-torn lands, legacy of Netheril's folly, breed fires that scour spell and sear like lightning. Survive these, with perhaps some of Tymora's grace, you may find a fleeting gift of the power you seek--or your Art or body may be burned away.

The last comes from neither quest boon nor ephemeral fortune, but from study of the Weave itself. Though not true wielders of the Art or of Mystra's fire, these warriors of the Weave wield enough of its might to defend against those who would seek to corrupt it---or so we had hoped.

Edited by - The Simbul on 01 Dec 2009 16:12:56
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2009 :  11:52:26  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
found the third one, still looking for the other two
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2009 :  16:57:36  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the third one first, and the hint helped me find the first one. It's that second one that's stumping me. I'm guessing that I just don't own whichever book that one comes from.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  16:18:20  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tell me of three ways within the 3E/3.5 era rules in which a Player Character can explicitly gain and use Spellfire or Silver Fire--in any form or variant thereof--WITHOUT having the Chosen of Mystra template or the Spellfire Wielder feat.

Paladins who dedicate themselves to Mystra or Azuth can gain a touch of Spellfire by joining the ranks of the Knights of the Weave. (Champions of Valor, p111-117)

Adventurers who found themselves involved in the Zhentish occupation of Shadowdale during the Year of Risen Elfkind may receive a kiss from the spirit of Anastra Sylune Silverhand. This gift grants the receiver a tiny amount of Silver Fire that can be manifested three times in a lifetime. (Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land, p14)

The third means of obtaining Spellfire or Silver Fire is, alas, lost to me. I share these to aid any scribes with a more extensive library than mine in seeking the missing answer.

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  04:34:30  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A more precise hint for the last method would be hard to give, apart from naming the source outright.
quote:
Those who carry much Art into the Fallen Lands may fall run afoul of witches who are not there, and who likely never were. These weave-torn lands, legacy of Netheril's folly, breed fires that scour spell and sear like lightning. Survive these, with perhaps some of Tymora's grace, you may find a fleeting gift of the power you seek--or your Art or body may be burned away.

I wrote the above, and the other two clues, as if they were answers you would receive from an in-setting oracle or a divination spell. It should be noted that my invoking Tymora's grace is merely a lyrical reference to extraordinary good fortune on the part of the hero, and not in reference to any actual boon, blessing, or patronage from the goddess herself. As in a hero who is blessed by the touch of the fires I speak of through this final method is one who has simultaneously suffered the misfortune of a perilous hazard and yet good fortune to not only survive it but walk away with a fleeting gift of the boon I speak of.

There are not very many sources of 3E lore on the Fallen Lands. With regard to the one you would need to consult--all I can say is that it is:
NOT from any source published after the 3.5 revision
NOT from the primary source on the 3E Realms
NOT from the principle source on the Weave
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  02:10:33  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are not very many sources of 3E lore on the Fallen Lands. With regard to the one you would need to consult--all I can say is that it is:
NOT from any source published after the 3.5 revision
NOT from the primary source on the 3E Realms
NOT from the principle source on the Weave

This last clue does indeed confirm it to be in a book I do not yet own... but one of my friends does.

The Fallen Lands are dotted with a rare phenomenon known as Witchfire, which is drawn towards large deposits of magic. Contact with these bursts of raw weave energy has a 4% chance of granting Spellfire which can last for anywhere from 1 hour to 4 days. (Silver Marches, p24-25)

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  21:09:34  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I commend you for your diligence in seeking of lore. The floor is yours.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  00:10:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the future, we should perhaps keep the multipart questions a bit easier, thinks I.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  00:37:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

Though, I must say, the time taken to answer this multi-part question was probably a record for Candlekeep's FR Trivia Challenge. Which is interesting, in its own way.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000