Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  04:04:49  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very close, geographically speaking, but not quite. :)

The speaking stone is guarded by dwarves, gnomes and perhaps the oldest amethyst she-dragon in the Realms.

I'm not sure how to give a good clue without giving it away too easily. I hope this helps.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2009 :  11:32:37  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are people not getting this, or just not interested?

It's near the crossroads of Skuldask Road and Thundar’s Ride.

And not far from Boareskyr Bridge as I mentioned earlier.

Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2009 :  23:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

Are people not getting this, or just not interested?

It's near the crossroads of Skuldask Road and Thundar’s Ride.

And not far from Boareskyr Bridge as I mentioned earlier.

The Stone That Speaks can be found in the ruins of Tempus's Tears.

(Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, p118)

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  09:01:07  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

Well, technically, it's the ruins of Haumoritas, and the village of Tempus's Tears is found in and around the ruins.

All yours, please. :)

Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  08:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay!

Who or what is Atad?

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  12:27:11  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gang Falconhand

Sorry for the delay!

Who or what is Atad?

I don't know if it is the source you are looking for (probably not) but I found it in the ultimate realmslore source, Ed himself here at candlekeep!

And here’s Ed’s reply:

Atad “Yelloweyes” is the sole survivor of the Ruush’lek (“ROOSSH-[[glottal stop]]-lullek”), a small yuan-ti family. More than two decades ago, the Ruush’lek were exterminated by the Company of Crazed Venturers after the Venturers tracked the boldest Ruush’lek, whom they knew only as “Rimriskal the Unblinking,” a sinister yuan-ti trader-in-poisons in Scornubel, to the family lair (after Rimriskal fatally poisoned several merchants in Scornubel the Venturers were buying information about “snakefolk” trade dealings from). The small, well-hidden family cavern-lair is northeast of the village.
Atad is a soft-spoken, manipulative, gentle-of-manner sort (expert at “fading into the background when necessary”) who slowly won trust in the Cowl. Of all the Ruush’lek, he was the least menacing to humans (and if truth be known, hated his kin, all of whom oppressed him as a “weakling”). He dwells alone in the family lair, keeping his belongings hidden under rocks there and staying at home seldom; he usually sleeps in the open, and when not guiding makes a living as a local maker and seller of soothing (not healing) ointments, cosmetics, scents, dyes, and sauces (he brings them into the Cowl after dark, selling them to the proprietor of the Dusty Dragon for resale).
Atad serves the Harpers as a local “eyes and ears” spy, faithfully reporting to them any contacts he has with yuan-ti or their agents seeking to co-opt him in any schemes (usually shady trade deals originating in Scornubel); his standing orders from the Harpers are to “go along” with all such schemes. The Harpers use him more as a passive information gatherer and source of handy disguises (he’s superb at swiftly applying cosmetics, and can change the apparent hue of a human’s skin, or make them appear subtly older or younger, VERY quickly) than anything else. His family cavern provides travelling Harpers with a handy “safe house” to sleep over or recuperate in, and he tells the Harpers as much as he can learn (without asking) about everyone who hires him as a guide. He has a way (washed garment hung to dry on a certain branch) of signalling to passing Harpers to follow him on some guiding expeditions (so they’ll trail the party he’s guiding, keeping out of sight unless he needs rescuing or the party launches a brigand ambush or gets caught in a fight with yuan-ti or anyone else that the Harpers want to intercede in).

posted 11 Jun 2007 : 02:25:54 , Ed's scroll of course

So saith Ed

Edit: I have not found the original reference for Atad, so I consider I have not yet answered the question (well, not fully legit at least). Of course, some might argue that Ed is always the original reference, still, I'm working on it.

Edited by - Kilvan on 04 Nov 2009 12:31:47
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  07:22:11  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kilvan, I think you're probably right, but most of that information isn't in the source I was thinking of.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  08:30:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC one of the Elminster Ecologies? The one dealing with the Battle of Bones, right? If not then please ignore. I should probably read my books tomorrow...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  12:47:55  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's right, I found Atad in Elminster's Ecologies App. 2: the serpent hill. He is a lovely and interesting guide, who turns out to be a "serpent" (making him less lovely).
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  13:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes yes, that's the source I was using!

Kilvan, you're up!

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  13:14:43  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okee, here's my question: This man is famous today for his spell that makes the bones and sinews of squeletons supple so they don't fall appart upon being animated. Who is he?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  14:09:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

That's right, I found Atad in Elminster's Ecologies App. 2: the serpent hill. He is a lovely and interesting guide, who turns out to be a "serpent" (making him less lovely).

I thought he sounded Familiar. Serpent Hills not Battle of Bones...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  02:41:49  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah ok, I'll give it to you. But the source I was looking for was a note for Malchor Harpell in Magic of Faerun p.11. It does say that Nulathoe was a man. The floor is yours Capnvan
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  13:51:15  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Who was Thorstag Amareh?

Let me just set the Wayback Machine to a strange and colorful time we called "The Reagan Era."

Thorstag Amareh, dead some seventy winters as of his p. 68 appearance in Ed's "More Pages From the Mages" article in Dragon #69 (January 1983), was an adventurer/sociopath who had the absolutely lovely habit of keeping a memory box full of fingers (well, seven fingers, at least, I'd consider that full). A memoir written by him or, more likely, at his direction, once existed as a manuscript titled Seven Fingers but has been lost since sometime before 1358 DR.

This whole article is awesome, I haven't looked at it forever. Thanks for the reminder, Capnvan! Holler if this is what you were looking for!

Cheers,

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  15:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan
That would be correct, sir.

Excellent, thanks. Here's my question:

Who is Ususi?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  16:24:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The answer for this latest question will prove particularly interesting, I think.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Nov 2009 16:25:28
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  05:48:51  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing this is going to be harder than saying she's a Deep Imaskari Ranger seen in Darkvision and other Bruce Cordell novels? (Of which I haven't ready any, so my involvement is limited.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  06:55:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. For the purposes of this question, I'm thinking Christopher's focusing more on her place in 4e Realmslore.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  11:53:13  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Indeed. For the purposes of this question, I'm thinking Christopher's focusing more on her place in 4e Realmslore.

As usual, Sage's instincts are correct.

Cheers,

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  12:56:41  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

I'm guessing this is going to be harder than saying she's a Deep Imaskari Ranger seen in Darkvision and other Bruce Cordell novels? (Of which I haven't ready any, so my involvement is limited.)

Yes, you could say that is who she "was"(3e), but I think Christopher wants to know he she is as of current time.(4e)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  13:55:05  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Leader of The New Imaskari. IIRC.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  14:47:09  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

The Leader of The New Imaskari. IIRC.

She is their Emperess, but she also did something of great import.

P.S. That's all I want to say about her, I wouldn't wan to give the impression that I have looked at any 4e stuff (hint, hint since their isn't much yet!)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 09 Nov 2009 14:51:49
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  15:27:51  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think Brimstone's answer is more than close enough (though the Red Walker is right to point out that there's a lot more going on there).

So the floor is Brimstone's!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  16:41:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really dont have a question right now...

I will think about it and post it later today, or tomorrow.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  03:42:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the delay. Got busy...

Question:Who found the Legendary Orglara?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  05:33:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry about the delay. Got busy...

Question:Who found the Legendary Orglara?

Indiana Jones, but Belloq promptly took it. Later, it melted some Zhents.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Nov 2009 05:33:25
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  07:31:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  08:31:23  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's always nice when a question comes up from a book I was recently reading.

quote:

Who found the Legendary Orglara?

According to Umberlant holy writ, the Orglara was originally "found" when The Bitch Queen caused it to be swept into the hands of a dedicated priest, calling out for her help, by a storm wave. Interestingly, the Orglara has been lost and found a few times over the years. Other notable finders include Jorist Archneie and one of Lord Anthanlas' under-cooks.

(Prayers from the Faithful, pp.67-70)

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  13:56:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

It's always nice when a question comes up from a book I was recently reading.

quote:

Who found the Legendary Orglara?

According to Umberlant holy writ, the Orglara was originally "found" when The Bitch Queen caused it to be swept into the hands of a dedicated priest, calling out for her help, by a storm wave. Interestingly, the Orglara has been lost and found a few times over the years. Other notable finders include Jorist Archneie and one of Lord Anthanlas' under-cooks.

(Prayers from the Faithful, pp.67-70)

I didn't know that. Yet I have your source, guess I need to read some more.

Jorist Archneie is who I was looking for. I was reading up on the Kraken Society in Cloak and Dagger this week and saw the snippet about the Orglara.

Wintermute has the floor.

Off topic and for my own knowledge, what is the Orglara?(Powers, History, ectera, if known. I do know its a Sea Shell)

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 14 Nov 2009 13:57:40
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  17:29:35  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Off topic and for my own knowledge, what is the Orglara?(Powers, History, ectera, if known. I do know its a Sea Shell)

The book Prayers from the Faithful has a good 2 & 1/2 pages that answers your question, but in brief, it is a magic clerical ritual "book". When moving sea water is allowed to lap over its surface it displays a list of priest spells. Touching one of the spell names will display the spell in full, like on a divine scroll.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000