Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  13:11:58  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
more help, ''the Duke'', formerly of Vaasa but originally from another world, is a self-made man, he always gets his way, kind of an existentialist, and he's the most important prime in the multiverse, Elminster who?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  14:12:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

more help, ''the Duke'', formerly of Vaasa but originally from another world, is a self-made man, he always gets his way, kind of an existentialist, and he's the most important prime in the multiverse, Elminster who?

This sounds very much like someone I recently read about, but he wasn't in any Realms material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  16:12:57  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you're on the right track
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  16:20:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the thing is, if he's not described in published Realmslore, it's not really a good FR question. We've been keeping the Challenge limited to either FR-specific stuff, or stuff that lacks any specific imprint but is clearly set in the Realms (like the original Lords of Darkness).

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  16:55:03  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why don't you answer anyway
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  18:56:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

why don't you answer anyway

Give me a few hours to decide whether or not to use my really obvious question, or see if I want to come up with another one.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  00:50:45  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has this scroll been forgotten? For my part, I looked, but couldn't find the answer.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  01:35:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Wooly did say he needed a few hours... ... ...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  01:41:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, Wooly did say he needed a few hours... ... ...

Crap! I pulled a Sage!

I'll post an answer and get something up before I go to bed this night.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  02:01:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great. Another thing I'm [in]famous for.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Oct 2009 02:02:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  07:06:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok, the question, he was once known as Protector of the North and Guardian of the Great Glacier, who is he?

Duke Rowan Darkwood. Pages 72-3 of Sigil and Beyond, from the original Planescape Campaign Setting boxed set.

I only knew this one because I recently decided to reread the original boxed set. I got it and got rid of it years ago, but acquired all the Planescape stuff whilst replacing my lost FR stuff.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Oct 2009 07:07:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  07:13:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My next question...

This self-proclaimed ruler died and came back in 1365, the Year of the Sword. Name him.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  07:17:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

ok, the question, he was once known as Protector of the North and Guardian of the Great Glacier, who is he?

Duke Rowan Darkwood. Pages 72-3 of Sigil and Beyond, from the original Planescape Campaign Setting boxed set.

I only knew this one because I recently decided to reread the original boxed set. I got it and got rid of it years ago, but acquired all the Planescape stuff whilst replacing my lost FR stuff.

And I think this is a good time to remind participating scribes that we really need to keep, specifically, to FR material when asking questions.

It just makes it easier for those who may not have access to FR references that may be included in non-Realms material.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  19:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My next question...

This self-proclaimed ruler died and came back in 1365, the Year of the Sword. Name him.

Since this thread has been dormant for six days, I'll take a stab at it:
Malygris
A Grand History of the Forgotten Realms 3rd Printing: May 25 2006 by Brian R. James*
"The Sembian Cult [of the Dragon] cell convinces Malygris, a blue dragon of Anauroch, to become a dracolich. This dracolich then attacks, kills, and replaces the ruler of the Great Desert's loose society of blue dragons."**

* Yes, I still have a copy of that last PDF before he sold out sold his soul got asked to do the official one for WotC.
** The official source is apparently Cult of the Dragon (TSR9547), but I don't have that book.***
*** I may not even have the answer right anyway.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  23:06:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man... I've been so distracted, of late, that I forgot about giving clues and such!

Kyrene, you're on the right track, but that's not the one I'm looking for.

And since you brought it up, I'll mention that Cult of the Dragon is available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Now, for my official clue: this self-proclaimed ruler is well-known, but not popular, in the southern Dales and Cormanthyr. He even features prominently in a sad ballad called "The Clouds Came Rolling In."

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  03:51:59  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My next question...

Are you referring to Dretchroyaster, the Spelljamming-obsessed green dragon dracolitch, who prefers to be called "The Monarch Reborn"?

(Cult of the Dragon, p.47-52)

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  04:07:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Man... I've been so distracted, of late, that I forgot about giving clues and such!

Strangely, I'd forgotten about it as well. I didn't even have a chance to annoy you about it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  05:37:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

quote:

My next question...

Are you referring to Dretchroyaster, the Spelljamming-obsessed green dragon dracolitch, who prefers to be called "The Monarch Reborn"?

(Cult of the Dragon, p.47-52)

That's the one! I yield the floor to you.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  15:55:26  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What occurred during "The Night of the Fontshuffle"?

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  18:49:43  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint: This event, orchestrated by a man known simply as Volludan, took place one warm summer night in The Year of the Boot (1343 DR).

I am getting ready to move this weekend, so I will not be able to log in for a few days to check this thread. Please excuse any delays on my part in verifying the correct answer once it is posted.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  03:49:52  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint #2: The city where this event occurred is home to one of the oldest Red Wizard enclaves in Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  10:05:26  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first answer was "accident at the printing presses", and my first thought upon that last clue was "Procampur", but I didn't recall any such event in my favourite city. But it did set me on a course of checking out the history of Thayan Enclaves. So my next thought was Telflamm.

Then, I must admit, I Googled Volludan and linked him to the Shadowmasters Of Telflamm. Theory confirmed.

Then I flipped open Cloak & Dagger.

On the Night Of The Fontshuffle, the priests of four temples in Telflamm that had refused to pay protection money to the Shadowmasters awoke to discover that all their holy items now decorated eachothers' temples. And so, they paid up.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  21:15:03  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

My first answer was "accident at the printing presses", and my first thought upon that last clue was "Procampur", but I didn't recall any such event in my favourite city. But it did set me on a course of checking out the history of Thayan Enclaves. So my next thought was Telflamm.

Then, I must admit, I Googled Volludan and linked him to the Shadowmasters Of Telflamm. Theory confirmed.

Then I flipped open Cloak & Dagger.

On the Night Of The Fontshuffle, the priests of four temples in Telflamm that had refused to pay protection money to the Shadowmasters awoke to discover that all their holy items now decorated eachothers' temples. And so, they paid up.

Excellent bit of detective work, Mr. BadCatMan. The floor is yours.

Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  10:28:11  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here goes:

Where can one find a talking rock?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  12:55:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

Here goes:

Where can one find a talking rock?

Anywhere, after sufficient amounts of alcohol!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Oct 2009 12:56:55
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  13:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
elemental plane of Earth :p

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  14:59:07  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More specific. :)

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2009 :  18:14:39  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you referring to the Galeb Duhr (sp?) of Aglarond who helped build the Watchwall? I'm AFB for the moment, but seem to recall that they were capable of speech.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  12:22:00  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that spelling right, but the answer isn't.

Clue time I guess:

This stone is inanimate, but sentient, and of course, capable of speech.

On or near this place, it is said that a god once cried bitter tears.

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2009 :  08:28:43  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boareskyr bridge? have no clue

edit: bugs

z455t

Edited by - Kno on 30 Oct 2009 11:34:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page