Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2009 :  00:29:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just briefly checking in from Gen Con Oz...

I'll be posting another hint sometime today. It'll build on Wooly's earlier "you don't have to go all that far back to find other references to this one" reply on the 14th.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2009 :  09:44:58  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to buy an A....

is it in a novel or splat??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2009 :  21:18:18  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well that would make two of us then

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2009 :  01:38:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another brief check-in from Gen Con...

Oh, you guys spoilt my next hint:- "There's a particular Wyrm whose after my Skull, even when I'm sitting on the Throne."

I know. I know.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2009 :  08:43:13  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, I do believe that I have an answer for The Sage's devilishly tricky question.

Q: Describe the Librarian's method of communication?

A: It is possible to communicate with the Librarian, though only elves (or psionicists, who are incredibly rare on Faerûn and in Serôs) have the ability to do so. By entering elven reverie (the way elves sleep, in a partial state of mental meditation), the elf leaves himself mentally open and unguarded, ready to receive any knowledge that might be imparted. The Librarian's method of communication is to emit a steadily glowing tel'kiira onto the scroll of the Scribe facet, and only its intended bearer can touch it and the Librarian safely (without the usual effects of contact with the Librarian). This process, which can fail more often than succeed, can take anywhere from one hour to a century, dependant totally on the Librarian, the knowledge sought, and the potential recipient.

(From The Wyrmskull Throne, written by Steven E. Schend and Thomas M. Reid.)

Never would've got it if it hadn't have been said that it was in The Wyrmskull Throne, one of the many old FR sourcebooks I happen to have downloaded (much easier than having to trawl eBay for all the out-of-print publications, I must say).

I'll post my question after The Sage confirms that I'm correct.

Mod Edit: Just corrected some minor formatting errors.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Sep 2009 10:46:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2009 :  10:47:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally!

Sandro is correct. You've the floor.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2009 :  16:03:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Librarian is something that was discussed about a month ago, in this very thread.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2009 :  17:19:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is why Wooly, originally, reminded scribes of this exact fact back during the first lot of hints for my last question. And why I, again, reminded interested scribes of it also, on the 18th.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  11:33:25  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, hopefully this one will require rather fewer hints that The Sage's.

Q: What did certain ancient wizards think believe to be the true reason for ageing?

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 21 Sep 2009 11:52:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2009 :  20:48:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

Alright, hopefully this one will require rather fewer hints that The Sage's.

Q: What did certain ancient wizards think believe to be the true reason for ageing?

Marriage. No emoticon required.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2009 :  22:25:25  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

According to Jeriah Chronos (AKA Chronomancer), aging was a "curse placed on the Netherese by the gods that served to prevent arcanists from discovering the source of the gods’ power and usurping them.” Several of the Archwizards during the Golden Age of Netheril also shared this belief.

Netheril - Empire of Magic p.109

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  02:11:23  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
100% correct, Wintermute. The next question's yours.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  02:17:50  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have decided to do things a little backwards this time. If this is the answer, what is the question? (Like in Jeopardy)

These individuals train to aid in the conversion and subsequent protection of drow who have come to the surface of Faerun.

Edited by - wintermute27 on 23 Sep 2009 02:18:42
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  08:12:44  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

I have decided to do things a little backwards this time. If this is the answer, what is the question? (Like in Jeopardy)

These individuals train to aid in the conversion and subsequent protection of drow who have come to the surface of Faerun.

What is the main purpose of the followers of Eilistraee (sp.)?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  14:13:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought they were all on the surface, already!

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  17:31:10  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

What is the main purpose of the followers of Eilistraee (sp.)?

Close, but I'm looking for the name of a specific organization or group.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  06:39:00  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did have quite a difficult time wresting this particular bit of lore from the great fanged beast that guarded it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  14:57:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did have quite a difficult time wresting this particular bit of lore from the great fanged beast that guarded it.

That's really not a nice description of Big Al.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  15:52:36  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well then maybe he shouldn't go around biting people.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  04:44:43  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And what's so wrong with being a great fanged beast, eh? Humans these days can be so offensive...

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  01:28:14  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint #2: These warriors are also sometimes called sin-eaters.

Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  02:29:10  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll not forget a name like that, though it originally comes from a medieval practice of someone who had to eat the evil bread. Anything that adds a bit more to the Eilistraeens than naked dancing drow is a good thing.

They are the Silverhair Knights, a prestige class described in Dragon #315, dedicated to converting drow, absolving them of their sins, and subsequently protecting them.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  06:20:21  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

I'll not forget a name like that, though it originally comes from a medieval practice of someone who had to eat the evil bread. Anything that adds a bit more to the Eilistraeens than naked dancing drow is a good thing.

They are the Silverhair Knights, a prestige class described in Dragon #315, dedicated to converting drow, absolving them of their sins, and subsequently protecting them.

For some reason, I've never had a problem with Eilistraee's only shtick being naked dancing Drow.

You are correct, my good BadCatMan. The floor is yours.

Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2009 :  15:41:22  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking of switching their bastard swords for katanas to suit their graceful, balanced fighting style, then having them fight Celtic-style in woad warpaint and nothing else. But I'm not sure if that makes it better or so much worse. ;)

Speaking of such things...

Who is the The Lady Of The Night?

Probably a bit tricky this one, by virtue of being vague and rarely mentioned when she does appear. But I've seen worse here. :p

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2009 :  15:57:58  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saestra Karanok? I know that you know everything about Chessenta.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  07:44:53  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Saestra Karanok? I know that you know everything about Chessenta.

Sorry, I completely missed your post, only seeing capnvan's.

Yes, that's right. Mentioned in Old Empires and Dragon 236, she was named as such by the people of Luthcheq for her night-time charitable endeavours - and not for being a bloodthirsty vampire.

Over to you.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  21:04:45  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, the question, he was once known as Protector of the North and Guardian of the Great Glacier, who is he?

Edited by - Quale on 30 Sep 2009 21:05:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  21:27:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok, the question, he was once known as Protector of the North and Guardian of the Great Glacier, who is he?

Santa Claus?

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  19:51:20  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no, but he has a similar beard, hope that helps
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  02:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

no, but he has a similar beard, hope that helps

Gwaeron Windstrom?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000