Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  02:43:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wham!
Wooly, dearest!
A hit! A palpable hit!
"It's okay, folks, he's here 'til Thursday. Try the veal!"

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  14:57:34  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Who, if they're not snoring, are talking still?

The last three women I dated?

Now that's hilarious! Nice one Wooly.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  22:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hint the first. There are two conversationalists and/or snorers. And while I don't know whether Wooly ever dated either of them, one is known to be "bold," and the other "terrible."
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  16:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hint the second. A Harper would definitely have the answer to this one at the tip of her tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  19:37:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it. I'm going to wait a few hours, and see if I can find a good question, before I take this one. I want to make sure other folks have a chance before I swoop in.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  21:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly? You gonna jump in or do you want me to drop another hint for other folks?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  22:20:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go ahead and toss out another clue... I don't have a good question prepared. Give someone else one more chance while I see if I can come up with a good one.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  22:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And, since Wooly's given the go ahead, hint the third. Don't look for the answer in a piece of prose.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 30 Aug 2009 16:53:25
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  16:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about it, Wooly? Another clue or are you gonna put folks out of their misery? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  17:17:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found another question to ask... Which means I must answer this one, now!

Chris speaks of the Bold Knight and the Terrible Wyrm. The two are described in a ballad on page 126 of Code of the Harpers. This ballad ends with the line "And if they're not snoring, they're talking still."

As I am quite confident of my answer, I shall go ahead and toss out the next question.

This adventuring company, sometimes called "the Baleflame," killed many orcs and trolls in northern Amn. They suffered defeats later, including one at the hands of a vampire. Who was the leader of this Company?

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  17:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just seeing to the formalities--Wooly's confidence is well-placed!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2009 :  00:49:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I am quite confident of my answer, I shall go ahead and toss out the next question.

This adventuring company, sometimes called "the Baleflame," killed many orcs and trolls in northern Amn. They suffered defeats later, including one at the hands of a vampire. Who was the leader of this Company?
Sneaky, Wooly. Veeery sneaky.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2009 :  16:24:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have found another question to ask... Which means I must answer this one, now!

Chris speaks of the Bold Knight and the Terrible Wyrm. The two are described in a ballad on page 126 of Code of the Harpers. This ballad ends with the line "And if they're not snoring, they're talking still."

Bugger! Bugger, bugger, bugger!! I used to "sing" that song with a bard-character on a Neverwinter Nights server not that many years ago, and I wasn't even close to guessing the answer. Bugger!!

(And I guess this post will have used up my quota of moderately not-nice words on these boards for a year or so.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  05:45:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clue the first: the Lord whose name I seek dwells in a crumbling fortified manor, a day's ride south of Beregost, on the Sword Coast. He was visited there by Elminster, from whose notes the Lord is described.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Sep 2009 05:47:27
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  16:36:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is it that uncle of his during making of a mage, whose name I forget.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  19:53:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

is it that uncle of his during making of a mage, whose name I forget.

It's been quite some time since I read that novel. I can say with all certainty that the source I drew this info was not that particular novel, and that this particular source did not mention a relation betwixt the Lord in question and the Old Sage.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  15:16:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clue the second: The adventuring group our mystery guy led was properly known as the Company of the Balefire Banners. It was later that they became known as "the Baleflame." It's not said whether or not our guy and his adventuring companions ever fought a dragon, but there's a dragon that knows all about him.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2009 :  06:42:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this question has gone longer than I expected!

Clue the third: our mysterious Lord's home, Cragmyr Keep, is rumored to be haunted. And this is the first clue that doesn't contain a hidden clue, identifying the source of the info.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2009 :  16:45:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

Wow, this question has gone longer than I expected!

Clue the third: our mysterious Lord's home, Cragmyr Keep, is rumored to be haunted. And this is the first clue that doesn't contain a hidden clue, identifying the source of the info.

Well, that answers my question.

So are you going to answer the question, then?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2009 :  14:38:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C'mon, someone, answer this one! I'm already tired of this question, and I've no more sneaky clues left to give!

Clue the fourth: This guy was described in a place that is neither a sourcebook nor a novel.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2009 :  14:57:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I would've answered it on the same day [and the same hour, in fact] you asked. But I've been away from most of my books for the past fortnight, so I can't really prepare a question of my own.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2009 :  23:08:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this thread, but I don't own any dragon magazines, so I cannot answer a trivia that uses one as a source. As for the thread being popular or nor, I must agree with your observation. It was not always the case though. Lately, some questions are so obscure that I can understand that lurkers may not give it a try. Heck, I don't give a try to some myself.

We could try to lower the difficulty a bit, at the risk of having our question answered in the hour that follows. I'd prefer that than having the same question posted for a week and more, at it seems to happen often lately. And if we have 3-4 questions per day, all the better. I think that might attract people.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2009 :  02:32:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the problem is obscurity... Dragon has served as a source for questions before, and it was of course in Dragon that the Realms first saw print. We have had lulls in activity on this thread before, and they come and go. I think we're just in one of those lulls now. Keep in mind, this thread is a year and a half old, and it's seen more than 60 pages. It's not the most popular, but I'm thinking people have enjoyed it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2009 :  04:34:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I have. In fact, some of the more obscure questions asked have often reminded me of stuff I'd forgotten. Which is always good, because it gives me another excuse to dig through some of the older sources once again.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2009 :  06:54:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I know I have. In fact, some of the more obscure questions asked have often reminded me of stuff I'd forgotten. Which is always good, because it gives me another excuse to dig through some of the older sources once again.

And this has always been part of the point of the Challenge. It's also why I recommended the source whenever a question was answered -- that way, people know exactly where they themselves can read up on it.

Go to Top of Page

gwalchavad
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2009 :  20:26:37  Show Profile  Visit gwalchavad's Homepage Send gwalchavad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well to answer capn's aside question. I absolutely love this scroll. The problem I have is I don't know enough about obscure realmslore (nor the time to go hunting in my vast array of out of print books magzines and other stuff) to ever have the chance to answer any of the questions, and the questions I could answer are so easy they would be snatched up before I had the opportunity to come and read the question.

g
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2009 :  22:31:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, capnvan, there were four I know of:

Brorarr, a much-scarred outcast orc with four arms, who gathered various orc brigands into a powerful band that had to be hunted down and battled several times.

Velarr Anandragon, a shipcaptain from the Vilhon who "went pirate" and got chased inland and became a bandit lord and a persistent pain in Enchara's backside for six summers, until she finally tracked him down and slew him.

Omontos Velandryl, a minor mageling on the run from Amn for murdering several sons of wealthy families during burglaries, who brought his band of murderous thugs to Esparin posing as a caravan, and "melted into the Stonelands," deciding to stay. He lasted for YEARS.

. . . And then there's the personage you're seeking in your answer, the only one of the four from Ed's notes that's been officially published yet.
Just enjoying the thread as a spectator. Ed might have more on these three, if anyone asks in his Questions thread.
We've had a hint already? Gosh, scribes, this one's easy!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  03:12:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could that be Rivior? I'm away from most of my sources right now, so this is a totally wild guess...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  07:06:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Well, capnvan, there were four I know of:

Brorarr, a much-scarred outcast orc with four arms, who gathered various orc brigands into a powerful band that had to be hunted down and battled several times.

Velarr Anandragon, a shipcaptain from the Vilhon who "went pirate" and got chased inland and became a bandit lord and a persistent pain in Enchara's backside for six summers, until she finally tracked him down and slew him.

Omontos Velandryl, a minor mageling on the run from Amn for murdering several sons of wealthy families during burglaries, who brought his band of murderous thugs to Esparin posing as a caravan, and "melted into the Stonelands," deciding to stay. He lasted for YEARS.

. . . And then there's the personage you're seeking in your answer, the only one of the four from Ed's notes that's been officially published yet.
Just enjoying the thread as a spectator. Ed might have more on these three, if anyone asks in his Questions thread.
We've had a hint already? Gosh, scribes, this one's easy!
love to all,
THO

And this kind of thing is another point in favor of the challenge.

I've had the answer since the question was posted, but even if not for the 5 day limit, I'd prefer to let others get out there.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  04:27:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... hopefully I have something good here...

What was the name of the magical blade forged at the behest of then-Crown-Prince Azoun I when Cormyr rode to war against the overextending northern armies of the Shoon Imperium?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000