Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  14:40:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We may need a hint as to the specific source.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  16:54:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree.

Problem is, I know which source it is. I just don't have it handy at the moment.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  18:07:17  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i have searched and searched, and I am now sure I don't even have the source. Put me out of my misery Wooly.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2009 :  19:32:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oy... I can't answer that question. I don't have the source. I used to, but it went up in smoke (literally!) and I've not yet replaced it. I hope someone else has the reference...

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2009 :  22:06:33  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a cavern used by a cabal plotting to assassinate the head of a Zhent family known as "Coronal".

Dragon Magazine 291 p.80
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2009 :  22:14:19  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I'm right, here's the next question:

Those mortal knights imbued with fiendish cruelty are feared and hated by all, especially by other males of their race. Who are they?
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  05:20:11  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Those mortal knights imbued with fiendish cruelty are feared and hated by all, especially by other males of their race. Who are they?

The Drow Judicators. Rather nasty fellows, if I do say so myself.
Underdark (3e) p.33

edit: forgot to quote question with the answer

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders

Edited by - wintermute27 on 11 Aug 2009 06:09:15
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  06:10:12  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happened to the last known person to attempt to unmask The Masked One?

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  12:35:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you are right. The floor is yours wintermute
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  02:49:39  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

What happened to the last known person to attempt to unmask The Masked One?

Is a specific and named person and/or incident noted in the lore, or do you speak of her general practices of privacy?

If it is the latter than the answer is that such persons: "..have a tendency to vanish or experience a sudden change in lifestyle, outlook, or species. Transformation into a useful household item for a decade or so is one such punishment, as is sudden transportation to a distant and hostile climate such as (so one story goes) the surface of Toril's moon."

Spellbound p117-118
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  05:46:39  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

Is a specific and named person and/or incident noted in the lore, or do you speak of her general practices of privacy?

If it is the latter than the answer is that such persons: "..have a tendency to vanish or experience a sudden change in lifestyle, outlook, or species. Transformation into a useful household item for a decade or so is one such punishment, as is sudden transportation to a distant and hostile climate such as (so one story goes) the surface of Toril's moon."

Spellbound p117-118

The question is in reference to a documented incident, possibly found in that very same book of lore...

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  13:58:48  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last individual who attempted to unmask her is said to be currently serving as a teapot in the Masked One's kitchen.

Spellbound p.64

If I'm right, I leave the floor to The Simbul.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  17:14:34  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

The last individual who attempted to unmask her is said to be currently serving as a teapot in the Masked One's kitchen.

Spellbound p.64

That is correct.
quote:

If I'm right, I leave the floor to The Simbul.

So the floor is yours, The Simbul.

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  06:20:40  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally I would insist that the floor NOT be ceded to me. Although the the answer was at my fingertips, it eluded me due to my overly precipitous research and my willingness to ignore the pattern of FR books to repeat multiple variations of the same lore in random parts of the same tome.

However, since Kilvan would otherwise be unable to ask a question due to the time rules, I will take the dais to pose this one:

What event caused such a great magical loss to the citizens of Thultanthar (Shade), that in the ensuing aftermath the populace rioted in the streets and ultimately set the Dome of Night--Shar's most sacred temple--to the torch?

Edited for clarity 8-15-09

Edited by - The Simbul on 16 Aug 2009 04:08:13
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  04:20:51  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HINT

None of these personages were directly involved in the act, and all of them were powerless to strike at the Shadovar at the time. Nevertheless all of these individuals ultimately contributed their knowledge, insight, or power to aid the ones who in turn dealt the Shadovar a terrible loss:

Darcassan the Farseer
Augatha the Mad
Shar Cormael
Ulraunt, the Keeper of the Tomes
Miirym the Ghost Dragon
Saharel of Spellgard
Arthindol the Terraseer
Tyvollus Aluviirsan

Edited by - The Simbul on 16 Aug 2009 04:32:43
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  06:06:55  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What event caused such a great magical loss to the citizens of Thultanthar (Shade), that in the ensuing aftermath the populace rioted in the streets and ultimately set the Dome of Night--Shar's most sacred temple--to the torch?

Hmm, can't seem to find anything in the source books, but I know I've read about this somewhere

PS. I suspected you would be the one to answer the last question Simbul
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  04:43:31  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Having waited the requisite 5 days, I guess I'll step in and take this one.

The defeat of Hadrhune and the dissolution of the Quess Ar Teranthvar, a modified version of the famed Nether Scrolls.
Anauroch: The Empire of Shade p.117

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  07:42:35  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct. Anauroch: the Empire of Shade, p117 "Conclusion"

Although it should be noted that the loss of the Nether Scrolls, the citizens of Thultanthar immediately sensing that loss, and Telamont dispatching his sons across Toril to find the scattered scrolls all played a more important part in triggering the unfolding events than the actual death of Telamont's chief counselor.

Ironically, the death of Hadrhune had the effect of eventually strengthening the political influence of the Sharrans in Shade, despite their temporary period of weakness around the time of his death.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  17:22:35  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How did Ghearufu meet it's end?

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  21:19:42  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is a device that Cadderly destroyed with the help of a red dragon. It's been a while since I've read it, but I think it is in "the fallen fortress"
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  02:55:05  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is correct! In The Fallen Fortress (on p.718 in my all-in-one version of the Cleric Quintet) the Ghearufu was destroyed by Fryentennimar's dragonfire.

The floor is yours.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  11:25:54  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I must go to work and won't have access to my books to find a new question. I will do so when I come back later today.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  21:32:39  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, got one (though it might be a bit easy):

This establishment is named after the masks worn by its staff, most of wich are beautiful females in black gowns, what is its name and where can it be found?.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  07:00:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Who was/is known as the Wind or the Breeze?

My minotaur, after eating too many beans.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  11:53:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or my bard whenever he's asked a question that doesn't have to be answered with a simple yes or no.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  12:36:07  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why, in Neverwinter, of course! At the Moonstone Mask. Volo's Guide to the North, p. 138

Right you are of course! The floor is yours.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  18:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who was/is known as the Wind or the Breeze?

quote:

Hint #2: You can find the answer in the same book where, IIRC, you would find, for the first time, rules for the spellsinger. And shadow walker.

Ah, that'll do it. We're looking for Athaniel of Procampur. I found this on p. 4 of my copy of Wizards and Rogues of the Realms, which has something of the look but nothing of the feel of genuine hand-tooled leather.

Holler if I'm right! I've got a fun one primed and ready!

Cheers,

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  23:28:08  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To use the vernacular, I'm hollerin' at my boy. Or, as an old Latin teacher used to say:
Is correct!

Excellent! I'll post the newest question in the Challenge in the next entry down!

Cheers,

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  23:28:50  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who, if they're not snoring, are talking still?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  01:14:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Who, if they're not snoring, are talking still?

The last three women I dated?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000