Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  04:23:58  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rilmohx Sha'Quessir and the nether scrolls- it's the IG explanation for the Gnomes' facility with illusion.

I'm pretty sure that's right: If so, my question is this-

The Caravan War was fought between which two 'groups'?

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 06 Apr 2009 06:07:22
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  04:26:30  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct. Dang, I was thinking that one would take longer. The floor is yours sir
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  04:36:54  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Correct. Dang, I was thinking that one would take longer. The floor is yours sir

It's funny... I was actually reading LEoF earlier today, and that stuck in my head, since I thought it was a tidy little explanation for the Gnomes' ability for illusion magic.

And to reiterate, the new question is:

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 06 Apr 2009 08:34:44
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  05:26:52  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... no takers? Is it time for a hint?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  07:25:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. Hint time!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  14:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Is that the "war" in 1374 DR between the Iron Throne and Dabron (sp?) Sashenstar and Co.?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  17:13:26  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Is that the "war" in 1374 DR between the Iron Throne and Dabron (sp?) Sashenstar and Co.?

Sorry, but no...

So here's the first clue: The two groups were fighting over an Old Owl.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  17:16:18  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Double post...nothin to see here folks.

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 07 Apr 2009 17:17:27
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  21:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Double post...nothin to see here folks.

Right the two groups were neverwinter and the orcs orcs of Uruth Ukrypt

the old owl is : "The Old Owl Well"

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  22:08:42  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No dice on the two groups but the old owl well was the goal

No dice

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  23:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm... the groups are not the right ones... must find the answer before anyone else

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  23:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is nothing to do with the neverwinter nights lore is it? from the game?

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  00:39:48  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct, portella... you got the location (Old Owl Well) correct, but not the groups involved in the war. The lore is not from any game (as stipulated by the Trivia Challenge rules).

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  00:50:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Owlbears and Netherease.

The Winds of Nethril, pg.8

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  02:59:16  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Owlbears and Netherease.

The Winds of Nethril, pg.8

Correct, sir! There were over 3,000 Owlbears killed. The floor is yours.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  03:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Owlbears and Netherease.

I have all their albums!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  04:20:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Correct, sir! There were over 3,000 Owlbears killed.
And no-one called the humane society?

quote:

The floor is yours.

What was the name of the small settlement in which a wizard's tower changed hands twice in just a few years, and during the second battle over the tower, a portion of it was destroyed... yet the stones were frozen in mid-air (in mid-fall!) and remained so.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Apr 2009 04:26:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  07:40:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Correct, sir! There were over 3,000 Owlbears killed.
And no-one called the humane society?

No, because those owlbears had already eaten the local branch of PETA.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  17:30:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting sidenote - upon re-reading that Netheril bit, I learned something new. Apparently, Owlbears were created by the Creator Races!

I mean, I had always suspected that they were created and not natural, but I wouldn't have thought the Creators were behind it.

I'd guess Aeriee - they probably need some 'ground forces', and hence the flyer-head.

I also loved the Giant (Dire?) Owlbears Ed mentions in his Cormyr novel; the ones that are now extinct (supposedly). Personally, I'd say a few 'came back' from Abeir (maybe even during the ToT).

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Apr 2009 17:32:00
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  19:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh i was so close. :(

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  15:29:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, first I'll repeat the question:

What was the name of the small settlement in which a wizard's tower changed hands twice in just a few years, and during the second battle over the tower, a portion of it was destroyed... yet the stones were frozen in mid-air (in mid-fall!) and remained so.

And now a clue.

The third and final occupent of the tower - the one who froze the stones in mid-fall - was a servant of Mystra.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  21:28:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An interesting sidenote - upon re-reading that Netheril bit, I learned something new. Apparently, Owlbears were created by the Creator Races!

Which one? Humans are a "creator race."

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  02:55:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't say - it just mentioned that they were created by 'the Creator Races'.

I think this might have been one of the earliest mentions of them, and what they were exactly hadn't been established yet.

Mods/Alaundo: Funny thing - I was just on Firefox (I usually use IE), and I have the same problem with the pages not getting updated, but it's even worse - you can't even 'see' the current page number at the bottom (or top) to click onto the real current page. I was stuck on pg. 46 of this thread and had to switch to IE to respond.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Apr 2009 15:27:36
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  15:22:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The answer is Sreve (Secrets of the Magister, p.52).

My question is: The Council of the Mighty in long-ago Guldethym tested who and what was she?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  15:26:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct answer and great question.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  21:13:09  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

The answer is Sreve (Secrets of the Magister, p.52).

My question is: The Council of the Mighty in long-ago Guldethym tested who and what was she?

-- George Krashos

Alaertha, and she was an incantatrix? At least, that's my guess...

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  05:18:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a good one. The floor is yours. I think I might head over to Ed's thread and ask him about Alaertha, Guldethym and incantatrixes in general.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  05:50:04  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And a good one. The floor is yours. I think I might head over to Ed's thread and ask him about Alaertha, Guldethym and incantatrixes in general.

-- George Krashos

Oh... um. Wow. I'll need some time to think up a question, I guess. I was just taking a hand crossbow shot in the dark. And with no darkvision or *anything*!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  06:40:02  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I think I have one, though it's probably super easy. Which creature is only a shade of spell-slingers?

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 13 Apr 2009 06:45:01
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  15:16:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I asked for more on the incantatrixes a while back and didn't get much more than "check the original dragon article for more" (which was what had piqued my interested in the first place) so I for one heartily agree that you should do that

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000