Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  17:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer
My question is open-ended: Name a selfish or malign wizard whose Art is spoken of in the same breath as a Simbul, Larloch or Szass Tam, but who has only a single brief mention in the lore and isn't well-known among Realms fans. The person who posts the most such characters (excluding any already mentioned) in the next day or two wins.

A quick list of lesser known evil spellcasters of at least 20th.

Ilcanorr of Luthcheq (NE male Turami human Wiz20/Acm1/Epic2)
Guldor Zauviir (NE male drow Wiz20/Acm2) (p175 Underdark)
Jaluth "Snakeface" Alaerth (CE female human Wiz20) (p111 Lords of Darkness)
Thurndan Tallwand (CE male human Wiz20) (p90 Mysteries of the Moonsea)
Keiler Twistbeard (CE male Chondathan Wiz20/Planeshifter4) (p115 Waterdeep: City of Splendors)
Srivven (NE male Mulan human Wiz18/Acm2) (Adaerglast, the Land of Mages)
Zannaster (LE male Chondathan human Necromancer5/Wearer of Purple10/Acm5) (p55 Dragons of Faerun)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  18:06:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'll go with the following:

Ghalaster of Thay (Shadows of Doom)
Murdrimm the Hierarchmage (Shadows of Doom)
Maraunth Torr (Hand of Fire)
Orvar the Unseen (Ol' Grey Box)

-- George Krashos

Dang, I was about to name Maraunth Torr. I had to find the reference, which was a comment someone -- likely either you or Faraer made here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  07:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay fellow scribes, as my previous list was whittled down rather severely, I'll try again. Here I go:

The Keeper of Thaal (NE male human demilich Wiz31, Underdark Sourcebook)

Eltehaun of Calimport, Sorceror Supreme (Dragon #228)

Danchilaer the Mad Mage (Human Wiz21/Sor6/Arch5, The Border Kingdoms)

Ygnaroth the Necroseer (phaerimm M25 - Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark)

Lusaka Gur of Thay (The Simbul's Gift)

Tharammas of Thay (Elminster in Hell)

Amaranthala, Dark Lady of the Nornaeir (Best of the Realms Bk II - "Living Forever")

High Arcanist Nega (Depths of Madness)

Brathchacelent
Cathalegaunt
Tarane of Shade
-- 3 archwizards of Netheril, summoned when their names are spoken ("When Shadows Come Seeking A Throne" - Realms of Shadow)

Excellent challenge Faraer!
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  11:06:20  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
even if my twisted rune guys are counted it looks like I'm done :)

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  23:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

Now I just have to sort them all out . . . Can you PM me the Simbul's Gift and Depths of Madness references/quotes?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  23:36:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Now I just have to sort them all out . . . Can you PM me the Simbul's Gift and Depths of Madness references/quotes?

*snickers* Ah, I see. Faraer (whose name I always misspell) was actually looking to learn something, not just share knowledge!

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  21:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thangorn: Jalynfein, Kartak Spellseer, Priamon "Frostrune", Rhangaun and Shangalar are all mentioned in multiple sources. It's notable that despite these sourcebook mentions the Twisted Rune still feels relatively off the beaten track, not having succumbed to novelization or iconicity. Nathlar and Veldalin from Forgotten Realms Adventures, while not in the echelon I'm talking about, would be major unappreciated actors in Sembia and the Cormyr-to-Waterdeep road.

Aysen: The Keeper of Thaal, served by liches and master of tomb tapper, qualifies. Eltehaun, Calimshan's Sorcerer Supreme at the time of the first Elminster novel, is not, as far as we know, active in modern Faerūn -- though as a planar mystic he could be, and having characters of old return to modern Faerūn from wanderings in the mists of time and worlds is a nice alternative to literal resurrection. Danchilaer has paragraphs of description (I'll forgive its repetition in both Polyhedron #117 and Power of Faerūn) but is a classic Realms 'true aims unknown' wild card. Ygnaroth is mentioned in both DDGttU and Underdark and it's unclear how influential it is among Phaerimm. Aysen has self-disqualified Lusaka Gur for multiple references (I don't otherwise have the novel to judge his eminence). Tharammas of Thay is/was able to enspell the Simbul through all her magical protections; one suspects he didn't survive her vengeance, but as that was 1357 and I like 1350s campaigns I'll count him -- if it was anyone but the rash Queen of Aglarond, her immediate hunt for him would count against how appreciable he might be. Amanthala is a good one to bear in mind for a Myth Drannor campaign, but we don't have enough cues about her Art, and I have to say the same about High Arcanist Nega (Erik?). Tarane isn't portrayed as entirely deluded in eyeing the rulership of Cormyr, so he squeaks through as a maybe.

George Krashos has named the people who inspired my question, one of whom I've indeed mentioned a few times before:
quote:
Moreover, I am sure to attract the overly ambitious, if ever my fate becomes known. I would not want ye to face hourly visits from the likes of Ghalaster of Thay; that Calishite, Murdrimm the Hierarchmage; or Manshoon, backed by all his Zhentarim. One or a number of them, working against thee or me, might taste too much of Tymora's good fortune. Those who would seize Mystra's power will do anything, and more than anything, to get it.
quote:
"What, to make himself master over all the Brotherhood and rise to challenge Shaaan and Larloch, Szass Tarn, and Maraunth Torr?"
Orvar the Unseen is also mentioned in FR7 (but the same information) and his capabilities are unknown, though he was able to capture Dove of the Seven. On the other hand he gets many bonus points for staying hidden in such plain sight. Those other three are literally 'in the same breath', jewels glinting once more before falling back, waiting, into the dark.

Ifthir has some good finds in 3E sources who are probably a step below the Murdrimms and Keepers of Thaal, most of them also mentioned however in 2E sourcebooks.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
*snickers* Ah, I see. Faraer (whose name I always misspell) was actually looking to learn something, not just share knowledge!

Yes, and I was also wondering which glimpsed or rumoured characters had particularly struck other people. I find these hints interesting for several reasons. They're a reminder of how little of the Realms we've seen in any detail, even in this elevated domain of magely intrigue, which has had proportionally more exposure than ordinary or priestly life. Factors like the glossing over of multiversal matters and the appropriation of planar struggles into Planescape took some of that spotlight back off again. The way these characters appear to us is perhaps closer to how they seem to Faerūnian folk than how the gaudily iconized characters do. The mere fact that such mighty wizards can operate 'below the radar' says much about the complexity and subtlety of all this, and makes them great opportunities for a DM or author who wants a nearly blank-slate power-behind-the-scenes yet with ready ties to Realmslore, or just names to drop in turn.

The statless fiction references stir my imagination more than those with classes and levels. Although I needed to narrow this down to the upper echelon to keep things manageable, in some ways it's an arbitrary distinction because we know brute might-at-Art is but one of several ways such characters exert their leverage and cast their shadow, which makes these struggles in the Realms less stratified than one might think from reading level numbers in isolation.

So, George has three of the best examples, but Aysen has a larger number of maybes and gets credit for effort beyond looking at his notes. So I diced for it: twice I rolled two 5s, then on the third try Aysen got a 3 to George's 1.

Edited by - Faraer on 23 Jan 2009 21:35:50
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  01:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The statless fiction references stir my imagination more than those with classes and levels. Although I needed to narrow this down to the upper echelon to keep things manageable, in some ways it's an arbitrary distinction because we know brute might-at-Art is but one of several ways such characters exert their leverage and cast their shadow, which makes these struggles in the Realms less stratified than one might think from reading level numbers in isolation.

So, George has three of the best examples, but Aysen has a larger number of maybes and gets credit for effort beyond looking at his notes. So I diced for it: twice I rolled two 5s, then on the third try Aysen got a 3 to George's 1.

I found it unsurprising that many of the qualifying individuals (among all the participants' lists) came from Ed Greenwood's stories. I wonder if he originally came up with the policy of well, what I might term "lore-cultivation": [fleshing out this tidbit of lore here, while simultaneously planting these three for anyone's later use there...]

PS: So Faraer, who asks the next question? Were you rolling Saving Throws or Initiative?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  17:20:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Ed has expressed and tried to encourage just that principle, and I imagine it was borne in mind by Robert Asprin and Lynn Abbey, say.

I think these references have an obvious technical name as a literary device that I'm blanking on.

Next question is you, low roll only wins on quincecensional Tuesdays.
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  18:08:43  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ifthir has some good finds in 3E sources who are probably a step below the Murdrimms and Keepers of Thaal, most of them also mentioned however in 2E sourcebooks.

Ah, I thought we were looking for 'statted' wizards. A couple that didn't get mentioned.

- Ghiz'kith (NE Male sarrukh lich wizard 10/Dev5[Sseth])
- Omm Hlandrar of Halruaa (Fought Velsharoon to a draw)
- Kyristan
- Histokle Rireetha (Border Kingdoms)
- Ongolym Nlerreth (lich p150 Power of Faerun)

Edit: No one mentioned the Lichlord?

Edited by - Ifthir on 24 Jan 2009 20:21:41
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  22:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some interesting names there Ithir, those might have put you in front of me and George Krashos if they were submitted earlier.

Ok, I did have a singular lore question planned, but Faraer's question and stated reasons behind it have inspired me (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery), so don't put away those sourcebooks yet!
What fires my MY imagination are the dozens of relics and magic items "name dropped" by Realms authors. So fellow scribes, sharpen those eyes, wet those page-flipping fingers, and please come up with a list that conforms to these general guidelines:

The magic item is mentioned only ONCE by its proper name. (ie usually "The ____ of person/place/thing", but sometimes just "_____")

It must be an item/relic/artifact of power and relatively unique. No mass production possible. So no run-of-the-mill broadswords +3 or "Apprentice's First Wand of Fireballs{TM}"

It CANNOT be formally statted out, although a BRIEF description of its power/history is fine. Any magic item that has "game-mechanics" language attached to it such as "d4, d6, ____+X, casts _____ 3/day, gives AC___," etc. should be left OFF your lists scribes. This also kicks out those un-statted items that become a plot point of novels and stories (ie Milhvar's Cloak of Shadows, or Persana's Blade in the Threat from the Sea trilogy)

Again, these are general guidelines and I reserve the right to tweak them as necessary.

I must caution you all that I don't have a great collection of lorebooks, especially the older 1st edition source material, so on some items I'll be relying on trust and PMs.

Above all, have fun and good luck!

Edited by - Aysen on 25 Jan 2009 01:14:02
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  23:58:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What fires my MY imagination are the dozens of relics and magic items "name dropped" by Realms authors. The magic item is mentioned only ONCE by its proper name. (ie usually "The ____ of person/place/thing", but sometimes just "_____")
Again, these are general guidelines and I reserve the right to tweak them as necessary.

Forgive me butting in witha question before the quiz gets underway. I have my copy of FR4 The Magister in front of me, with dozens of rare/unique items (mainly reprints of old Dragon articles by Ed) that are statted out. I assume this is not what you want, but items mentioned in passing in a story or a general sourcebook pertaining to an individual? (though you then don't get the overview of powers it has?)

Am just trying to get the 'rules' straight before I start.

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  00:42:39  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aysen - I will give you some examples of items and see if they fit in with the spirit of the question.

Undergirdle of Feather Falling, worn by Alastra Hathwinter 'The Night Cloak' in Longsaddle

Chautea's Fire and Sword - mace+3 that emits one 4D6 fireball and one blade barrier per day, wielded by Tolgar Anuvien

Nine Jewels of Neverwinter
each jewel having two different powers, it cast the spell 2/day and blocks the other at will
Amethyst - casts ray of enfeeblement; blocks chain lightning
Carnelian - casts blade barrier; blocks wall of fire
Diamond - casts magic missile (max 5); blocks magic missle
Emerald - casts colour spray; blocks lightning bolt
Fire Opal - casts flame strike; blocks cone of cold
Onyx - casts chain lightning; blocks blade barrier
Ruby - casts fireball; blocks wall of fire
Sapphire - casts cone of cold; blocks wall of ice
Topaz - casts flaming sphere; blocks flame strike

All jewels share the following powers:
Create food and water 1/day
Feather Fall at will
Teleport (to specific places in and around the Sword Coast North)
Water Breathing 1/day (9 hours max)
Water Walk 1/day (9 hours max)
+5 to hit 1/day

Manshoons Robe
invisibility, levitate, fly, fire shield (the ‘chill’ version of this spell; the robes themselves are automatically unharmed by all heat and flame), and dimension door

Flamsterd's Red Cloak
Emits gust of wind once per round as directed by Flamsterd

Simbuls Bracers
Bracers AC1 (1e/2E)

Netherese Spell Storing Ring
self regenerating ring containing magic missile, ironguard and chain lightning, worn by Belkin Orgul of Hills Edge

Quietstrike
Shortsword +3, detects shifting walls and rooms, and secret doors. Wielded by Fulbar Hardcheese of Daggerford.

Fallen Giants Hammer
Large as a siege ram, it can be directed to strike (it flys) at +16 hit dealing 4D4 damage (max 6 times before it returns to the Giants Tomb near Drawn Swords)

Cloak of Swords
last worn by Haldanshyn a wizard of importance from Amn in the Swordarm Tavern in Roaringshores, its current whereabout are unknown. The cloak has the power to manifest a torrent of glittering steel.

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 25 Jan 2009 00:44:26
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  00:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are correct Damien, I'm hoping for items or relics that have that passive "name-dropped" quality to them, and have no formal write-ups to them (as per my 3rd guideline). I'd rather not see a re-list of the FR4 magister or the 4-volume Encyclopedia Magica. A qualifying "brief description" in a novel or general sourcebook should be limited to just a name by itself, a name plus a few sentences of how it looks, or a name plus some tidbit of lore connected with it. It should have little to no bearing on the novel or sourcebook. The less said about the item in the text, the better for my purposes.

Example: ("Nylara looked around the dragon's cave with wide-opened eyes, recognizing more than few long-lost relics: the Gilded Gauntlets of Velar, Shanroumae's Cat O'Nine Flails, and upon a skeletal tripod, the sparking crackling crystal orb the sages called Stormheart. Then her eyes focused upon the object of her vengeance, the somnolent dragon at the very center.)
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  01:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Aysen - I will give you some examples of items and see if they fit in with the spirit of the question.

Undergirdle of Feather Falling, worn by Alastra Hathwinter 'The Night Cloak' in Longsaddle

Chautea's Fire and Sword - mace+3 that emits one 4D6 fireball and one blade barrier per day, wielded by Tolgar Anuvien

Nine Jewels of Neverwinter
each jewel having two different powers, it cast the spell 2/day and blocks the other at will
Amethyst - casts ray of enfeeblement; blocks chain lightning
Carnelian - casts blade barrier; blocks wall of fire
Diamond - casts magic missile (max 5); blocks magic missle
Emerald - casts colour spray; blocks lightning bolt
Fire Opal - casts flame strike; blocks cone of cold
Onyx - casts chain lightning; blocks blade barrier
Ruby - casts fireball; blocks wall of fire
Sapphire - casts cone of cold; blocks wall of ice
Topaz - casts flaming sphere; blocks flame strike

All jewels share the following powers:
Create food and water 1/day
Feather Fall at will
Teleport (to specific places in and around the Sword Coast North)
Water Breathing 1/day (9 hours max)
Water Walk 1/day (9 hours max)
+5 to hit 1/day

Manshoons Robe
invisibility, levitate, fly, fire shield (the ‘chill’ version of this spell; the robes themselves are automatically unharmed by all heat and flame), and dimension door

Flamsterd's Red Cloak
Emits gust of wind once per round as directed by Flamsterd

Simbuls Bracers
Bracers AC1 (1e/2E)

Netherese Spell Storing Ring
self regenerating ring containing magic missile, ironguard and chain lightning, worn by Belkin Orgul of Hills Edge

Quietstrike
Shortsword +3, detects shifting walls and rooms, and secret doors. Wielded by Fulbar Hardcheese of Daggerford.

Fallen Giants Hammer
Large as a siege ram, it can be directed to strike (it flys) at +16 hit dealing 4D4 damage (max 6 times before it returns to the Giants Tomb near Drawn Swords)

Cloak of Swords
last worn by Haldanshyn a wizard of importance from Amn in the Swordarm Tavern in Roaringshores, its current whereabout are unknown. The cloak has the power to manifest a torrent of glittering steel.

Thanks

Damian

I think any magic item that has "game-mechanics" language attached to it "d4, d6, ____+X, casts _____ 3/day, gives AC___," etc. should be left OFF your lists scribes. What I was hoping for were truly obscure items that could appear in an "Ask the Author" thread.

So therefore, Damien, I think possibly the last one Cloak of Swords would be what I'm after. It's briefly descriptive in a non-game-mechanics way.

After seeing just one of our scribes' prospective lists, I worry that the submitted lists may run pages long, so I hope that by adding this rule, I could cut down on that (and not incidently, the time spent fact-checking)

I'll Edit and repost my guidelines too.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  01:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In response to crazedventurers asking for clarification, I'm reposting my revised guidelines for my lore challenge:

How many of the following magic items can you uncover from the lore?

1. The magic item is mentioned only ONCE by its proper name. (ie usually "The ____ of person/place/thing", but sometimes just "_____")

2. It must be an item/relic/artifact of power and relatively unique. No mass production possible. So no run-of-the-mill broadswords +3 or "Apprentice's First Wand of Fireballs{TM}"

3. It CANNOT be formally statted out, although a BRIEF description of its power/history is fine. Any magic item that has "game-mechanics" language attached to it such as "d4, d6, ____+X, casts _____ 3/day, gives AC___," etc. should be left OFF your lists scribes.
A qualifying "brief description" in a novel or general sourcebook should be limited to just a name by itself, or a name plus a few sentences of how it looks, or a name plus some tidbit of lore connected with it. It should have little to no bearing on the novel or sourcebook. The less said about the item in the text, the better for my purposes.

This also kicks out those un-statted items that become a plot point of novels and stories (ie Milhvar's Cloak of Shadows, or Persana's Blade in the Threat from the Sea trilogy)

The poster with the longest list gets to ask the next question. Good Luck!

Edited by - Aysen on 25 Jan 2009 01:28:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  01:41:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 68 of Swords of Dragonfire has some that qualify, I think.

quote:
Darlock's six tasked spirits
The Crown of the Slayer
The Hunting Blade
The Door Into Nowhere
The wandering cloaks of wyvernshape
And dead Emmaera Dragonfire
Who left so many silent flying swords
To guard her enchanted bones

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jan 2009 01:42:08
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  01:59:10  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are correct Damien, I'm hoping for items or relics that have that passive "name-dropped" quality to them, and have no formal write-ups to them (as per my 3rd guideline). I'd rather not see a re-list of the FR4 magister or the 4-volume Encyclopedia Magica. A qualifying "brief description" in a novel or general sourcebook should be limited to just a name by itself, a name plus a few sentences of how it looks, or a name plus some tidbit of lore connected with it. It should have little to no bearing on the novel or sourcebook. The less said about the item in the text, the better for my purposes.

Example: ("Nylara looked around the dragon's cave with wide-opened eyes, recognizing more than few long-lost relics: the Gilded Gauntlets of Velar, Shanroumae's Cat O'Nine Flails, and upon a skeletal tripod, the sparking crackling crystal orb the sages called Stormheart. Then her eyes focused upon the object of her vengeance, the somnolent dragon at the very center.)

Lords of Darkness, p126 -

Some of the more legendary artifacts he is believed to hold or have held in his living vault include the alicorn diadem of Sharrven, the bonestaff of Sadebreth, the jewel cage of Congenio, and the pyramid-shaped tear of Ascore.

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  06:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry fellow scribes, I forgot one important thing: the deadline! I figure Tuesday, Jan. 27th around lunchtime should give everyone a chance to come up with a list if they want to participate. If anyone as a serious problem with this, just send me a PM. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  03:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello scribes,

I'll take the submissions as they appeared on the thread:

crazedventurers gave me quite a long list at first, but per my clarification, statted out items weren't being counted so his entry whittles down to Alastra's Undergirdle and Haldanshyn's Cloak of Swords. I hope I didn't scare you off with too many guidelines Damien

On Wooly Rupert's list, Darlock's six tasked spirits and the wandering cloaks of wyvernshape, while mysterious, aren't solely unique because there are more than one. That leaves:

The Crown of the Slayer
The Hunting Blade
The Door Into Nowhere

Finally, Ifthir's entry comes up with the most at four:

The Alicorn Diadem of Sharrven
The Bonestaff of Sadebreth,
The Jewel cage of Congenio, and
The pyramid-shaped Tear of Ascore

Thank you everyone, and congratulations Ifthir! I cede to you the lore stand.

Edited by - Aysen on 28 Jan 2009 03:33:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  07:35:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On Wooly Rupert's list, Darlock's six tasked spirits and the wandering cloaks of wyvernshape, while mysterious, aren't solely unique because there are more than one. That leaves:

The Crown of the Slayer
The Hunting Blade
The Door Into Nowhere

Yeah, but "dead Emmaera Dragonfire" is surely unique!

Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  14:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Finally, Ifthir's entry comes up with the most at four:

The Alicorn Diadem of Sharrven
The Bonestaff of Sadebreth,
The Jewel cage of Congenio, and
The pyramid-shaped Tear of Ascore

Thank you everyone, and congratulations Ifthir! I cede to you the lore stand.

My question: Who reportedly hid the treasury of Hlondeth in the sewers and took the rest with her on her return trip below the earth?
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2009 :  20:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ifthir

[quote]
My question: Who reportedly hid the treasury of Hlondeth in the sewers and took the rest with her on her return trip below the earth?

Shilaris Shemwith, the drow leader of kobolds who attacked the city in 527DR. And the treasury has never been found anymore.

For more information about that, scribes can have a look at the Vilhon Reach sourcebook.

Is that what you wanted to read Ifthir?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  11:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go back to work fellow scribes.
If Ifthir confirms my answer, the floor is yours...

Read you next Saturday...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  18:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Shilaris Shemwith, the drow leader of kobolds who attacked the city in 527DR. And the treasury has never been found anymore.

For more information about that, scribes can have a look at the Vilhon Reach sourcebook.

Is that what you wanted to read Ifthir?

It was! Great answer Fillow, someone else can take the question if Fillow does not want to!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  18:31:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Fillow said he was throwing it open for whoever... I've had this question for a while, and it's not overly difficult. I just happened to like the line.

Who said, when referring to Oerth's Bigby and his various hand spells, "The old goat comes up with one good gimmick, and beats it to death with a rock."?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  22:56:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I like that one. I haven't thought about it in quite a while actually. Good stuff Wooly.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  09:25:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that was Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun. Though I can't say I remember in what product the quote is from.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  15:45:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I'm pretty sure that was Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun. Though I can't say I remember in what product the quote is from.

I'll give it to you. It was indeed Khelben; the line is on page 61 of the old Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover, under the description for the spell Khelben's Warding Whip -- a spell designed to take out force constructs like the Bigby's Hand spells.

quote:
As noted, this spell was developed by Khelben Arunsun, the Blackstaff of Waterdeep, as a specific counter to the various Bigby spells which have appeared in the Realms. Whether the mythical Bigby of Greyhawk visited the Realms or Khelben or some other Realmsmage visited Oerth to bring these spells from one world to another is not known. The Blackstaff has apparently met the great Bigby at some time in the past, though the meeting was apparently not on the best of terms. As the wizard of Waterdeep once noted to his apprentice Illistar, "The old goat comes up with one good gimmick, and beats it to death with a rock." Bigby's response, if any, has never been recorded.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  15:48:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A line, Wooly, penned by Jeff Grubb, if I recalled rightly. Dead on, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000