Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  05:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Four days, does someone else want to ask a question?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  12:20:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Chris got the answer, the next question is his.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  16:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, I was just kind of waiting to see if that's who Althen Artren was looking for.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  20:56:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Althen Artren hasn't been back since the 3rd. Let's assume Chris was correct, and get a new question going.

Chris, it's all you, but I'm also willing to toss out another question, if you'd prefer (or if we don't get one in the next day or so).

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  20:39:58  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okeydoke. Let's go with something from the work I'm reading right now.

After "the Vanishing" depopulated Shussel, one of its empty districts gave temporary shelter to this barbarian and her companions when they left the Methwood hunting dangerous game. Who is she, and what is her chosen prey?

Cheers,

Christopher

Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  05:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Okeydoke. Let's go with something from the work I'm reading right now.

After "the Vanishing" depopulated Shussel, one of its empty districts gave temporary shelter to this barbarian and her companions when they left the Methwood hunting dangerous game. Who is she, and what is her chosen prey?

Cheers,

Christopher

I believe this is Talindra Amalith (CN female wild elf Bbn14), and her chosen prey is any human who might penetrate the borders of the Methwood. She is also a leader of the Eldreth Veluuthra.

From Lords of Darkness, p.131

If I am right, my question is: Who created Sakkors' mythallar?

Edited by - Ifthir on 14 Jan 2009 04:59:02
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  06:28:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean Sakkors' mythallar?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  13:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GAH!! sorry guys, xmas and the gf took me away

I'll try and get something cooked up at home...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  15:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ifthir

I believe this is Talindra Amalith (CN female wild elf Bbn14), and her chosen prey is any human who might penetrate the borders of the Methwood. She is also a leader of the Eldreth Veluuthra.

From Lords of Darkness, p.131

Yep, you're right!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  02:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok here is my question:

Who is Eldrus Wands - other than being the slayer of Eleedra and someone who found a spelljamming ship wrecked in the Wood of Sharp Teeth?

Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  04:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Do you mean Sakkors' mythallar?

-- George Krashos

Gah, I do, I was just reading your article on mantles in my other window and borfed it over!
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  04:35:41  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Ok here is my question:

Who is Eldrus Wands - other than being the slayer of Eleedra and someone who found a spelljamming ship wrecked in the Wood of Sharp Teeth?

He was the Magister from 409-516. I'm not sure if that is all you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  13:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Ok here is my question:

He was the Magister from 409-516. I'm not sure if that is all you are looking for.

Yes that is it. For the benefit of others, would you have a source reference?

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  15:40:40  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Secrets of the Magister.

My question is:

Who Penned the Nether Scrolls?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  16:43:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Secrets of the Magister.

My question is:

Bahb T. Nether, an early ancestor of the later (and more famous) Bahb the Fighter.

Source: The deep dark recesses of my mind. It is a silly place!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jan 2009 16:44:49
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  00:00:01  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Secrets of the Magister.

My question is:

The Ba'etith.

For my question can I go back to my earlier one?
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  04:36:16  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to be too prody, but, source?
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  21:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand History of the Realms.

My question: Who created Sakkors' mythallar?

Edited by - Ifthir on 18 Jan 2009 01:34:53
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  02:20:51  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who created Sakkors' mythallar?

Xoland the Maker

Page 19 of Shadowbred

If I'm right..

Pre-Spellplague, what phenomenon indicated the favour of The Laughing Princess and where could one acquire such favour?

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot

Edited by - Thangorn on 19 Jan 2009 03:21:04
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  05:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thangorn

Who created Sakkors' mythallar?

Xoland the Maker

Page 19 of Shadowbred

If I'm right..

Pre-Spellplague, what phenomenon indicated the favour of The Laughing Princess and where could one acquire such favour?

Right you are!
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  12:39:55  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
correct of course..

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  00:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A vengeance knight serving the Knights of the Shield (Champions of Ruin p. 71). Half-plate is sometimes known in the Realms as leather and plate half-armor (Spellfire p. 8).

My question is open-ended: Name a selfish or malign wizard whose Art is spoken of in the same breath as a Simbul, Larloch or Szass Tam, but who has only a single brief mention in the lore and isn't well-known among Realms fans. The person who posts the most such characters (excluding any already mentioned) in the next day or two wins.
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  11:04:43  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To start with -:

Jalynfein "The Spider Mage" - 24th Lvl (Menzoberranzan)
Kartak Spellseer - Necro 20/Acm 5/Epic 6 (Twisted Rune)
Priamon "Frostrune" Rakesk - Wiz 20/Acm 4/Epic 5 (Twisted Rune)
Rhangaun - Wiz 20/Acm 5/Epic 8 (Twisted Rune)
Shangalar the Black - Wiz 20/Acm 5/Epic 2 (Twisted Rune)
Nathlar of Iriaebor - Super high level illusionist (level 19 back in 1362)
Veldalin the Dark of Saerloon - Super high level necromancer (level 19 back in 1362)

Do I need to be thinking higher level? newer references? I'm thinking famous mages whose art may be considered on a similar par but only get 1 mention in canon..

[edit: had to get rid of the other Thayans cause they are mentioned too often]

Faerunian Canon Despot

Edited by - Thangorn on 21 Jan 2009 11:41:35
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  11:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Faraer that's quite a challenge!

Seeing how insomnia strikes me this night, I may as well try to draft a list (with leave to amend, some of these names may fall out due to being too well-known or having too many lore sources)

Icelia the demi-lich - FA2 Nightmare Keep

The Fool - Master lich of the Spelljammer (Legend of the Spelljammer, The Ultimate Helm)

The Sojourner - gythvyrik spellcaster (Erevis Cale 2nd and 3rd novels)

Malaug - The first Malaugrym ("How the Art came to Maulaugadorn"-FRCS)

Madryoch the Ebon Flame - Imaskari artificer (Shadow Stone novel and Grand History of the Realms)

Ondruu of Myth Drannor - (Best of the Realms Bk II and Pools of Radiance II PC game, debatable as he is the narrator and describing himself)

Shaaan the Serpent Queen - Dragon Magazine #219 & Candlekeep Compendium (Too popular?)

Yaravindar Ipurnos - Imaskari archmage (Dragon Magazine #349)

The Keeper of Thaal - demilich master of the tomb-tappers (Underdark sourcebook)

I don't have much of the early editions of D&D, so comments about the appropriateness of these characters are welcome. Good lore hunting fellow scribes!

[Edited] - I lined out many on my list because most were the main villains of the novels they were in, or had a description that went beyond "brief" . I'll post an updated list further down.

Edited by - Aysen on 22 Jan 2009 05:13:04
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  11:34:45  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see Thangorn broke the ice ahead of me. I should hit the refresh button more often

Thangorn, I had the same misgivings about how "well-known" a character had to be, to get disqualified on my list. Generally I tried to avoid the Zhentarim, the Cult of the Dragon, the most recent cabals of Thayan zulkirs, and even the Twisted Rune and Netherese, and went for the more obscure.

However, since its Faraer's question and he set out the guidelines, it's all up to him
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  11:48:21  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes well, if "spoken of in the same breath" means "well known by people" is the stipulation I am probably down to only one or two mages as my twisted rune and zhenty guys are secretive types.

The sembian necromancer can stay in as he is called "The Dark" that generally means people know he's a bad@55 and the spider mage is "known" in Menzoberranzan according to his reference in "villains lorebook" as he was given a nickname to refer to him and he gets spider legs sticking out of his head whe he spontaneously summons spiders :)

Faerunian Canon Despot

Edited by - Thangorn on 21 Jan 2009 11:51:26
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  13:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faraer, here's where I need some clarification on your guidelines:

"spoken of in the same breath as Simbul, Larloch etc." suggests that we look for wizards that are somewhat well-known to their peers within the Realms, BUT

"briefly mentioned in lore and isn't well known among realms' fans" suggests looking for obscure and secretive wizards buried in canon lore.

Does that mean the more times a wizard's name pops up in sourcebooks and canon, the less it counts toward your question?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  15:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! I'll try to keep this more fun than confusing.

Based in Faerūn. Live (or undead). Conscious.

Doesn't have to be widely known in the Realms, but must have something of a reputation, if only among certain peers and savants.

I'm talking the highest echelons of Art. Because of the 'Who really knows?' factor it's going to be somewhat arbitrary who I decide counts, but roughly, think at least high twenties in level (by the 3E stage of inflation).

Literally one mention in all of Realmslore, which does rule out quite a few mentioned. References that have slipped through the cracks of most discussion here. We've already turned up a few names that probably surprise most of us -- regardless of da winner.

Edited by - Faraer on 21 Jan 2009 16:00:37
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  17:09:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll go with the following:

Ghalaster of Thay (Shadows of Doom)
Murdrimm the Hierarchmage (Shadows of Doom)
Maraunth Torr (Hand of Fire)
Orvar the Unseen (Ol' Grey Box)

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  17:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! Good question. Faraer and I once talked about this guy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000