Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  04:13:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked the spelling of her name twice - how the hell did I miss that?

Sorry.

When it was first pointed out to me, I didn't think it was Realmsian (Solon is a pretty common name for a place), but then the Raurinshield Mountains were named and made it definate.

So does this mean non-FR 2e sources with Realmslore are out as well?

Lots of good stuff in the Book of Artifacts.

Anyhow, the floor is wide-open.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  04:27:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got an obscure question ready, but given the difficulties experienced by most scribes concerning the last question, I'll just leave it until I actually answer one properly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  05:55:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good points on Book of Artifacts and Weapons of Legacy... I guess I need to rethink that one. Consider it stricken until we can come up with something better.

While I don't want to exclude viable Realmslore, I do want to stick with stuff that's not really really obscure. That was one of the things that happened with the original Trivia Challenge: someone asked a question that came from a bit of Realms fiction written by Ed -- the problem was that the fiction was in the manual for one of the computer games. Viable Realmslore, certainly, but something far outside what most people would think to look at, or even have access to. I had that manual, and I never even thought of checking it... The question stumped everyone. It was that question that made me take great care in writing the first rule.

I want everyone to have a fair chance of answering questions, and part of that is sticking to things people will think to check for the answers.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  05:59:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and if no one has provided a question by noonish tomorrow, my time, I'll toss something relatively simple out there. I have a tendency to reach for the same sources every time.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  06:37:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I've started hunting for a relatively simple question myself. If I get to it before noon your time, I'll post it here.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  16:30:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actualy Wooly, I wasn't so much trying to 'stump everyone' (although that is a fun fringe-benefit), but rather wanted to share a rather obscure bit with folks here. I myself would have never known about it, except it was pointed out to me when I was working out some history for Tan Chin (who lived in Solon).

Some of the more obscure bits, I think, need to get our attention, because many folks don't know about that lore (myself definately included), and I think the 'tough ones' help make folks appreciate just how much is really out there about the Realms.

Why just two days ago I came across a bunch of stuff about Khelben, Laeral, and the Crown of Horns in a 2e MM... that was CORE, not FR! I had no idea it was even tucked-away there, and thats the kind of stuff I like other people to 'dig-up' as well.

Perhaps not for every question, but its fun to know these things and where they are hidden.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2008 16:31:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  17:35:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I said I'd ask a question around noon, if no one else did... This one shouldn't be too difficult, if one has the correct book.

This lich, formerly a mage of Starmantle, uprooted and levitated his entire tower to a new location. Name him.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  18:01:57  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh! I know this. It's Bertil Enstöring. I didn't know Skrot-Nisse was part of the FR-canon though...
*ponders whether even the Finns here will get the reference*

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  18:12:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That reference is certainly beyond me... I'm not a Finn, though.

Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  19:42:53  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sure got that reference, heh heh! But besides remembering something vague about that starmantle lich, the true answer eludes me.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  18:16:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I didn't think I'd have to resort to giving a hint.

This lich chose to relocate his tower to a place where most Faerûnians couldn't long survive without magic. And he doesn't have to worry about the weather, there.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  13:02:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
This lich, formerly a mage of Starmantle, uprooted and levitated his entire tower to a new location. Name him.

I think it's been 5 days now: the answer is Vamar the Cold (Sea of Fallen Stars, p.159).

My question is:

What was the name of the only princess of Ruathym ever to be mentioned in published realmslore?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  13:56:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Princess Saerthae, from A dozen Deadly Daggers, Dragon #169.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Nov 2008 13:59:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  14:08:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! Answered in just 54 minutes. That's got to be a record for this Trivia Challenge.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  14:12:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had to catch my breath before asking this one Sage :

Who created the red dracolich Gotha and who destroys him?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Nov 2008 14:13:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  15:26:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I think it's been 5 days now: the answer is Vamar the Cold (Sea of Fallen Stars, p.159).

My question is:

What was the name of the only princess of Ruathym ever to be mentioned in published realmslore?

-- George Krashos

Aw, I had another good clue lined up!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  15:27:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I loved that article.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  15:31:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who created him? Well, when two red dragons love each other very much...

If it wasn't for having had a couple of the most recent questions, I'd take this one. I just found a nice bit of lore that I want to use as a question -- though Krash will undoubtedly nail it.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  18:15:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ahhhh... Gotta love that old-time artwork... and the pervasive 'Chainmail Bikini' of yore.

When I went to read that (I haven't again since that mag came out), the first thing I noted was the cover blurb - Now 120 Pages!

I don't want to go off on a tangent... especially one thats been beaten to death... but those old Dragon Mags leave me very nostalgic for a more... nurturing time.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Nov 2008 18:16:09
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  18:51:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Who created him? Well, when two red dragons love each other very much...

If it wasn't for having had a couple of the most recent questions, I'd take this one. I just found a nice bit of lore that I want to use as a question -- though Krash will undoubtedly nail it.

Well Mr. SmartyPants, two red dragons would have created the red dragon who became a red dracolich.....

and we all know they wouldn't have to have been in love either

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  23:11:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Ahhhh... Gotta love that old-time artwork... and the pervasive 'Chainmail Bikini' of yore.
And as hard as I've tried, I still can't convince the Lady K to purchase, and then wear, a chainmail bikini for a future gaming session.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  23:30:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

And as hard as I've tried, I still can't convince the Lady K to purchase, and then wear, a chainmail bikini for a future gaming session.

Christmas Gift for her?? Camera for you?

[]threadjack[/]

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Nov 2008 23:30:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  02:55:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, Sage, tell her I've worn a chainmail bikini to several gaming sessions.
Oh, and so has Ed (we teased/dared him, and he did so quite happily). It wasn't an, ahem, ALLURING sight, but not worse than, say, what you might see coming out of a bar in Sydney at closing time.
No, he didn't fit into the same bikini I wore.
Hmm, I doubt any of this is helping you convince the Lady K, is it?
Tell her she gets to wear a bowler hat, a wide tie, and gloves, too, and see if that works.
love to you both,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  04:01:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Sage, Sage, tell her I've worn a chainmail bikini to several gaming sessions.
Don't they hurt though, seriously?
quote:
Oh, and so has Ed (we teased/dared him, and he did so quite happily). It wasn't an, ahem, ALLURING sight, but not worse than, say, what you might see coming out of a bar in Sydney at closing time.
No, he didn't fit into the same bikini I wore.
I admired Ed's daring.

Though, I will note that I've [willingly] worn a chainmail loincloth at the behest of my lady love, and that was uncomfortable enough to say the least. Unfortunately, she has yet to reciprocate with respect to the chainmail bikini.
quote:
Hmm, I doubt any of this is helping you convince the Lady K, is it?
Tell her she gets to wear a bowler hat, a wide tie, and gloves, too, and see if that works.
love to you both,
THO
Heh. Methinks she'll probably want to use that wide tie for something else... but I think we'll leave it at that.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Nov 2008 04:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel hard to get the current question fellow and revered scribes.
I also feel this quizz is going crazy for few days... Aren't you tired in this late year beliked (does this word exist?) and senior scribes ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  23:29:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I feel hard to get the current question fellow and revered scribes.
I also feel this quizz is going crazy for few days... Aren't you tired in this late year beliked (does this word exist?) and senior scribes ?

A little craziness now and then is good for the soul -- especially here at Candlekeep.

And no, I don't think I've ever heard of the word "beliked."

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  03:51:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Belike" is archaic English (meaning: certainly, likely, perhaps), and "belikely" is found in texts, but "beliked" is found only in two recent fantasy books that didn't get edited properly. (And no, they're not Wizards of the Coast-published.)

Your ever-helpful sometime editor,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  04:16:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it is. I just checked me old "Fowler's Archaic English Usage" to be sure.

Thanks THO.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  06:57:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And perhaps Red should now be forthcoming with a clue...

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  09:39:13  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

"Belike" is archaic English (meaning: certainly, likely, perhaps), and "belikely" is found in texts, but "beliked" is found only in two recent fantasy books that didn't get edited properly. (And no, they're not Wizards of the Coast-published.)

Your ever-helpful sometime editor,
THO

Thanks a lot for these pieces of information dear... beloved... Hooded One !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000