Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  18:20:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-So I should take that as a no.

BRIMSTONE

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm just saying that there's more than one product that is FR, but doesn't have the FR logo. A question I asked on the original Trivia Challenge came from REF5 Lords of Darkness.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  20:16:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest (and in way of another hint), it isn't all that old, and the title is not taken from older sources that were originally Realms.

Some core books had a bad habit of putting FR lore where it really didn't belong (and I'm not even talking about those "In the Realms" sidebars in the MMs).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Nov 2008 04:31:42
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  17:34:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, the lore revolves around an artifact (probably lesser), and appears in a place that took me an hour to find, and I new exactly what I was looking for!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  13:46:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one?

I was hoping to stump Sage, but I'd be shocked if Krash didn't know this one.

Another Hint, I guess - the item she created can be worn on one's head (and it's a 3e source, to narrow it down even further).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  14:03:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

No one?

I was hoping to stump Sage...
Not quite. I did have to go back to the source to refresh my memory though. As it turns out, I was on the mark.

But I think it's best that I leave it for another day or so [giving Krash his chance ].

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  21:51:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've haven't really thought about it - 5 day rule and all that. I'm pretty sure that I know the answer though. Shall I (when I get back to my sources to confirm)?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  00:15:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

No one?

I was hoping to stump Sage...
Not quite. I did have to go back to the source to refresh my memory though. As it turns out, I was on the mark.

But I think it's best that I leave it for another day or so [giving Krash his chance ].

-Could you give me a hint? Via pm, if you could. If not Kewl.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 21 Nov 2008 00:17:01
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  02:22:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I wouldn't have ever found this myself - it was pointed out to me by someone with far better research-skills then I whilst working on one of the many Netbook projects.

Talk about some well-hidden lore.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  05:04:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Could you give me a hint? Via pm, if you could. If not Kewl.
I would, but I'm not entirely sure how I could phrase the hint without giving the source away completely. Unless I can come up with a reference that I feel won't reveal too much, I'll talk it over with Markus and see what he thinks about it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  17:30:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We definitely need more clues... I just searched in a couple of likely places, and got nothing.

Markus, if you want, you can PM me the answer, and I'll provide hints. I think I've proven good at providing nice, obscure hints.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  20:05:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty good at hints m'self (you commented about my last one ), but as Sage has said it's nearly impossible to hint about this source without giving it away completely.

I'm sorry for using such a 'toothy' question.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Nov 2008 20:07:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  22:49:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. That's part of the problem. I've got a great hint... the only issue I have with it is, it'll make it too easy for scribes to immediately note which frequently used [well, I'd imagine most scribes would use this source quite regularly] 3e D&D resource I'm talking about.

Whoa! Look at that, I actually provided another hint [sort of] without even realising it.

--Well, okay, it was deliberate. But it's the only hint I could think of at the moment that's still mysterious enough to provide a challenge.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Nov 2008 22:50:35
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  00:19:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THAT is an obscure hint, because I don't even get it.

Unless maybe I don't frequently use that source, which I don't, which is why someone else had to point this particular piece of lore out to me.

And I actually editted my last hint - I made it too easy in retrospect, so I changed one word.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  00:41:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

THAT is an obscure hint, because I don't even get it.

Unless maybe I don't frequently use that source, which I don't, which is why someone else had to point this particular piece of lore out to me.
Really, I'm just judging by how many times I see this source regularly mentioned as a reference in discussions both here and at WotC. I'm assuming that means it's frequently used [though, I myself haven't really touched it since I purchased it back in 200... now that would make it too easy.]

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  00:43:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I actually editted my last hint - I made it too easy in retrospect, so I changed one word.

Really? I've been pondering this one... I can only think of a couple of places to check, and a quick perusal of those sources has yielded nothing. And neither of them are ones I could call frequently used.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  02:38:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had something more... direct... in place of 'Toothy'.

The fact that I've stumped all but Sage and George is almost a magical feeling.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Nov 2008 14:16:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  05:37:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, but it's not as much fun for the people that haven't a clue where to look, despite the hints.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  05:42:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought I knew this one but further delving quickly showed that I don't. I think simply because I don't own many core rulebooks.

I'll wait for a "real" FR question thanks ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  14:16:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've practically named the book, which Sage will attest to I'm sure, and now for another hint, which will probably send you scurrying for one book... when its really in another.

The item she created is a Legacy Item.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'll wait for a "real" FR question thanks ...

-- George Krashos

Cheap shot.

There's tons of good FR lore hidden away in core books, if you know where to look.

What of the Epic Level Handbook? It has more FR NPCs then most FR books do!

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Nov 2008 14:29:04
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  14:46:21  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well I don't have that book darn it!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 22 Nov 2008 14:46:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  15:05:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've practically named the book, which Sage will attest to I'm sure, and now for another hint, which will probably send you scurrying for one book... when its really in another.

Which kinda surprised me, because I thought Krash, of all the scribes here at Candlekeep, would've eventually picked this one up. I'm fairly certain I recall him stating, several times here at Candlekeep, how useful he'd found the item write-ups in this particular tome. [At least, I think it was George]

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Nov 2008 15:06:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  15:16:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "3E core product that is about the Realms" is the part that's throwing me.

It's been almost a week since this question was asked (it was asked on the 16th). I think your clues are too obscure if only one person has figured it in that time.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  16:14:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Which kinda surprised me, because I thought Krash, of all the scribes here at Candlekeep, would've eventually picked this one up. I'm fairly certain I recall him stating, several times here at Candlekeep, how useful he'd found the item write-ups in this particular tome. [At least, I think it was George]

If we're talkiing about "Weapons of Legacy" I don't own that product. I do recall asking people about legacy items on these Boards a long while ago though.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 22 Nov 2008 16:16:12
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  19:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to refresh my mind about this question !

What land did Tephira hail from, and what item of note did she create?

hints :
- This piece of Realmslore appeared in a core product (and yet is most definately about the Realms).
- To be honest (and in way of another hint), it isn't all that old, and the title is not taken from older sources that were originally Realms.
- the item she created can be worn on one's head (and it's a 3e source, to narrow it down even further).
- it's nearly impossible to hint about this source without giving it away completely.
- the only issue I have with it is, it'll make it too easy for scribes to immediately note which frequently used [well, I'd imagine most scribes would use this source quite regularly] 3e D&D resource I'm talking about.
- The item she created is a Legacy Item

The next question is : Will Mark find the origin of his avatar before we find the answer to his question?
You'll know that in the next episode...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  19:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read Weapons of legacy (very quickly, and maybe too quickly!) and found no mention to this Tephira !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  23:16:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

If we're talkiing about "Weapons of Legacy" I don't own that product. I do recall asking people about legacy items on these Boards a long while ago though.
Aye.

Sorry Krash, I just checked the scroll I was thinking about, and noticed that it was another scribe that I was referring to.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  23:51:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I told you this lore was well hidden,

An item of legacy (yes, it IS referred to exactly that way in the source) only appears in this one other book AFAIK - its almost as if they forgot to put it in the WoL tome (which I already said - it won't be in the obvious place).

Okay, I'll tell you guys what - my earlier hint of "Toothy question" - I originally said 'draconic' question before editting it. Put this together with my other clue some people seem to have missed - its almost a magical feeling....

And remember, I knew exactly what I was looking for and where to look and it still took me three tries to find it. It's probably one of the best hidden pieces of Realmslore (and you have to read the entire section to realize it is definately Realmslore, and not just a naming coincidence).

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  02:26:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Tome of Magic?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  03:19:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I told you this lore was well hidden,

An item of legacy (yes, it IS referred to exactly that way in the source) only appears in this one other book AFAIK - its almost as if they forgot to put it in the WoL tome (which I already said - it won't be in the obvious place).

Okay, I'll tell you guys what - my earlier hint of "Toothy question" - I originally said 'draconic' question before editting it. Put this together with my other clue some people seem to have missed - its almost a magical feeling....

And remember, I knew exactly what I was looking for and where to look and it still took me three tries to find it. It's probably one of the best hidden pieces of Realmslore (and you have to read the entire section to realize it is definately Realmslore, and not just a naming coincidence).

Okay, now that I've found it, I still have an issue with a couple of your clues... "Toothy" does not, for me, reference dragons -- a lot of critters are toothy.

And your first clue -- "This piece of Realmslore appeared in a core product (and yet is most definately about the Realms)." The wording made me think it was a book that dealt with the Realms -- not that the lore in question was Realms-specific.

Minor quibble, which had no impact: it's Tiphera, not Tephira.

No offense, but this question was simply too obscure. I know I didn't rule out non-Realms-specific sourcebooks, but that's only because, as I said earlier, some of the earlier ones (and a couple of the 3E ones, like Monsters of Faerūn) don't have the FR logo on them. Nonetheless, I think that -- for fairness -- questions originating from sourcebooks should come from those books that are primarily Realms resources, even if not an official Realms product. The Epic Level Handbook would be the one exception I'd make.

Now to answer the question:

Tiphera hailed from Solon, and crafted the Wyrmbane Helm. Dragon Magic, pages 104-5.

Since I had the question before this one, I will leave the floor open to whoever gets here first.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Nov 2008 05:58:12
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  03:52:34  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Plenty of non-Forgotten Realms products have pseudo-canon (information relevant and pertaining to the Forgotten Realms, without actually being an official Forgotten Realms products), unfortunately. Weapons of Legacy has a few Kara-Tur related items, and off the top of my head, the Bow of Shevarash, only relevant in the Forgotten Realms. The Book of Artifacts had the same deal going on. Core books with "In the Forgotten Realms..." sidebars could arguably be considered, though those could also be considered suggestions, rather than statements of fact (As in, these creatures could be inserted here, as opposed to these creatures are here). Tome of Magic has "Karsus" and one or two vaguely Forgotten Realms vestiges.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page