Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  22:53:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'll jump out there, then. I like asking questions.

This prominent female spellcaster collects small carvings of snails, toads, and frogs. She is known to have in her collection snails and frogs that were carved from gemstones in Myth Drannor, orbiting within a small spell cloud. Name her.

Interesting.

I actually had to think about this one for a minute. Just a minute though.

-- The Sage, who promised not to tackle Wooly's next question too quickly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  23:55:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

This prominent female spellcaster collects small carvings of snails, toads, and frogs. She is known to have in her collection snails and frogs that were carved from gemstones in Myth Drannor, orbiting within a small spell cloud. Name her.

Interesting.

I actually had to think about this one for a minute. Just a minute though.

-- The Sage, who promised not to tackle Wooly's next question too quickly.

*shakes head* You must have a photographic memory or something... I only found this bit because I specifically decided to get a question from that source.

But I wasn't really trying for obscurity, here.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  00:11:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*shakes head* You must have a photographic memory or something... I only found this bit because I specifically decided to get a question from that source.
Heh.

It's not really a photographic memory as such. I just read a lot of different pieces of Realmslore each day, so it isn't really that surprising that I should often briefly touch upon something that comes up as a question here. Or a piece of Realmslore that's directly related to that question in some way.

Take today for example, I'm reading up on the Inner Sea, Nimbral, Force Gray, Maxam, and the Ride.

One day you'll have me at a loss. For sure.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  11:46:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The answer is Laeral Silverhand (Seven Sisters, p.29).

My question is: Name the wife of King Alemander III of Tethyr?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 12 Nov 2008 11:47:14
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  12:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I really wish I was at home right now, because I'm pretty sure I know exactly where to find the answer since I was looking up just such information for forthcoming campaign developments.

Edited by - Na-Gang on 12 Nov 2008 12:35:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  15:30:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash seems to like answering my questions.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  19:28:11  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

I really wish I was at home right now, because I'm pretty sure I know exactly where to find the answer since I was looking up just such information for forthcoming campaign developments.

Be reassured Na-Gang. You could not answer this question !
Why ? Because you answered your last one on the 08 of november and Wooly's rules say, on the page 1 of this thread :
quote:
2. It is requested that any scribe answering a question refrain from doing so again for five days. There are plenty of people who know a lot, but others need to have a chance.

So, you have to wait till : 13 Nov 2008, 14:48:57 to be allowed to take part !! ...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 12 Nov 2008 19:28:53
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  20:40:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: Nevermind - forgot the rules and I have a day yet...

P.S. - it was only a guess, anyway; that Krash is a tricky one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Nov 2008 20:44:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  23:06:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

You're slipping, Krash. I was able to find that answer pretty quickly.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  23:09:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Krash seems to like answering my questions.

But he does like asking interesting questions, that's for sure.

Good stuff on the latest Krash. I had fun remembering who it was.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  23:11:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Well, to be fair, I don't think Krash was trying to be overly obscure with that one.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  23:41:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, to be fair, I don't think Krash was trying to be overly obscure with that one.

True... But he's asked some real stumpers in the past, so I was surprised to be able to find an answer fairly quickly.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  00:50:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a point of discussion -

Are you guys using search engines?

I only did that for one question a long while back, and it felt like cheating to me (I found it super-fast). Now I only try to answer stuff I think I might know where to find it, and I don't use the search functions on any of my pdfs (and I have nearly everything on pdf).

Not that it matters for the game here, but I find it's LOADS more fun to actually read through the books looking for stuff then just going straight to the page. Its amazing how many juicy tidbits I found just looking for answer to this one, and even though I'm not 100% on my answer, I still found at least one locale I can add to a map (just ruins, now).

And I've been through this particular tome at least three times before, and it still yields up surprises.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2008 00:52:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  01:09:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! True scribes have no need for search engines. As one of programming professors used to say "Knowing a lot about something, means knowing it."

Seriously, I've yet to incorporate any reliable sub-routines for search engines in SageBrowser, so it's not really an option for me anyway.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  01:12:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking further on this though, I'm not quite sure it's really an issue of cheating anyway. I suppose you could look at it that way, but I'd imagine some scribes already use the search feature for their Realms PDFs when looking up answers for some of the more obscure questions that've popped up. Especially if the source to search through isn't easily discerned from the type of question asked. And I don't think that's classified as "cheating" as such.

Granted, the scope of the web is entirely more diverse. But it's still a form of generalised searching nonetheless.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  01:37:17  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting question, MT!

When I'm away from home, I rely on PDFs and use the search option, but many of my PDFs (from Paizo) are unsearchable and my PC antiquated...so it takes a while. I usually find the answer by reading PDFs before the search completes.

The time I used (to quote the Hamster) google-fu, it didn't help (the Scarlet Sorcerer question). And I mentioned it in my post.

Edited by - monknwildcat on 13 Nov 2008 01:39:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  02:10:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, with questions like this one, it helps when there's only a couple of places to look.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  03:09:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup.

I didn't mean to offend by sayng it was 'cheating', I was only saying I personally felt that way when I did it. I use pdf searching all the time for my own research, but I just feel it breaks the spirit of the fun we are having here by doing it the 'fast & dirty' way. Anyone who does it that way I have no problem with - I just find it is much more fun, for me, to actually thumb though all that old-time goodness (which was my point - NOT the 'cheating' part).

I like making it HARDER for myself, because I feel like Indiana Jones discovering all of FR's 'arks', not just the ones we discuss here.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2008 07:02:25
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  03:16:27  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense taken! Technology creates all kinds of interesting issues in life.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  03:35:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wasn't trying to be nasty. If I'd asked the question the other way round - "Queen X was married to which monarch?" without tieing the question to Tethyr I'm sure it would have furrowed some brows.

I just thought it was a nice bit of realmslore - like they used to do in the "old days".

So will someone answer it already so we can move on?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 13 Nov 2008 03:38:37
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  07:05:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its now been five days, so I'm going to go with my guess -

Is it Queen Alcina?

I say guess, because I'm counting on her hubby having two titles/names here, and if not, I'm a dork.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2008 07:05:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  07:11:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As in King Silvam and Queen Alcina?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  07:29:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep - I found a connection that infers Silvam might be King Alemander III (they are both noted for having put the same 'girl' to work).

But that could just be a coincidence and I could be way off here - I did say it was a guess.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2008 07:30:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  15:06:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where I found the answer, King Alemander III is explicitly named, as is his wife.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  21:11:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly is right - Queen Alcina is ... incorrect.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  21:23:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I went back through the source I was looking at, and the only mention of Alemander III I could find was at the bottom-left hand corner of pg. 25 of the Tethyr booklet.

However, I made the mistake of thinking the Chroniclia Tehria was the name of the 52 bound diaries discovered, so I thought that Alemander III had dealings with Zahyra Ithal.

My Bad.

After much looking and consternation I realized there is a gap in the history section where Alemander III should be, and that the Tethyr booklet is the only one of the three pertinent ones that doesn't include a timeline, which leaves me to believe that this particular piece of lore is located in something other then a sourcebook... something I am aware of but haven't gotten around to reading yet.

The floor is still open, and my apologies.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2008 21:23:51
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  22:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As revealed on p. 45 of Lands of Intrigue-Book One: Tethyr, Alemander's wife was Queen Lhayronna.

Wooly Rupert, if you please, feel free to ask a question. Anything I can ask right now has only one answer, and I don't like hearing "NDA" any more than I like giving it as an answer.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  23:00:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
As revealed on p. 45 of Lands of Intrigue-Book One: Tethyr, Alemander's wife was Queen Lhayronna.

Wooly Rupert, if you please, feel free to ask a question. Anything I can ask right now has only one answer, and I don't like hearing "NDA" any more than I like giving it as an answer.

Okay... In your honor, I shall ask a question pertaining to the Forest Kingdom (which really narrows down the potential locations for the answer).

This Cormyrian noblewoman has been dead for more than 200 years. However, when a wardrobe of her gowns was found, they became an "instant fashion rage" at court. Name her.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Nov 2008 23:05:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  23:01:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I free to answer this one... this time!

*Smirks at Wooly*

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  23:06:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, I free to answer this one... this time!

*Smirks at Wooly*

Well, like I just went back and noted, there's not too many places to look for this answer. It should be easy. I've prepared three hints, but I doubt they'll be needed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000