Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  22:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow
Back to the topic : Isn't it a good time for a hint ?

Hint: This man leads a many-armed empire of rogues from behind a sea of aliases
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  00:35:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Yes. But everyone knows the real truth behind that claim!

Indeed. You have proven beyond all doubt that you are the annoying one. *nods sagely*

It is also suspected that you are, in fact, a purple cootie.

wtf is that?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  00:55:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Yes. But everyone knows the real truth behind that claim!

Indeed. You have proven beyond all doubt that you are the annoying one. *nods sagely*

It is also suspected that you are, in fact, a purple cootie.

wtf is that?

A cootie that's purple, duh.

Honestly, I'm not real sure. It's something I picked up from my old roommate.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  21:53:07  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You need another hint?

Hint: His army of rogues and ruffians serve as intelligence gatherers for the Rundeen and normally operate in groups of 3 or 4 which sees them sitting side-by-side with adventuring companies.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  18:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have prefer a hint about the source you found this unholy question !!!

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  18:28:14  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd have prefer a hint about the source you found this unholy question !!!

LOL!!! Props to you, Na-Gang!!
I'm sharing Fillow's difficulties in solving this one, though. It has defeated even my feeble (to quote the Hamster) google-fu. A source clue might help....
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  19:54:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah - it started out sounding like the Kraken Society, and then he mentioned the Rundeen (which doesn't neccessarily leave out the Krakens), but I've checked just about every sourcebook I have on them and I couldn't find it.

Usually I only take a stab at these if I happen to know it off hand, but I have a good question I really wanted to use.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  19:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
If Tymora helps me to find the answer, I will let you the floor !
But... It's not sure at all that I get it as the first !

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  20:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ATM, I'd say that these information gatherers could be the Knights of the Shield.
Am I on the good track Na-Gang ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  22:39:46  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking through my sources and am honing in on cloak & dagger as the source. The Rundeen was my clue as well. Still can't find the answer though.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  01:17:49  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't see it in Cloak&Dagger, but somedays I'd miss my head were it not attached.

Perhaps a recent novel? That would explain Sage reading it recently....
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  02:00:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll neither confirm nor deny that. This is Na-Gang's game, so it's probably best that I leave him to provide any further hints, if necessary.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Nov 2008 02:00:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  07:11:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been all through Cloak & Dagger, and tried the Knights of the Shield as well - so far, nada.

I have a feeling its in an obscure place, but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

I even checked Skullport, because it has a brief bit on the krakens...

And at this point, I don't even remember my question.

There's just something tickling my memory about the 'Scarlet Sorceror' that I can't quite put my finger on. <insert head-scratching smiley here>

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Nov 2008 07:12:10
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  11:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In order to refresh memories about this damn question :

79- What is the real name of the man who often poses as the Scarlet Sorceror?

Hint #1 : This man leads a many-armed empire of rogues from behind a sea of aliases.
Hint #2 : His army of rogues and ruffians serve as intelligence gatherers for the Rundeen and normally operate in groups of 3 or 4 which sees them sitting side-by-side with adventuring companies.

Please Na-Gang, one more hint...

EDIT : I've updated the FR quizz Q&A thread : here

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  14:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In order to refresh memories about this damn question :

79- What is the real name of the man who often poses as the Scarlet Sorceror?

Hint #1 : This man leads a many-armed empire of rogues from behind a sea of aliases.
Hint #2 : His army of rogues and ruffians serve as intelligence gatherers for the Rundeen and normally operate in groups of 3 or 4 which sees them sitting side-by-side with adventuring companies.

Please Na-Gang, one more hint...

EDIT : I've updated the FR quizz Q&A thread : here

The two hints I've already given do pretty much tell you where to find the information, although in a somewhat cryptic way.

Hint: You will find him between The Fist of Rundeen and The Scimitars of Mullivan, but the reach of his long arms extends to anywhere within 200 miles of the Shining Sea.

Edited by - Na-Gang on 01 Nov 2008 14:27:04
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  16:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druzir Achmed yn Nuram el Darkiir yi Almraiven ! aka el Chaddalk or as the scarlet sorcerer Harun yn Riikaln !
The leader of the Many Long Arms.

I finally found him in the Empires of the Shining Sea sourcebook, p. 173

Thanks Na-Gang for these learning searches !

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 01 Nov 2008 17:00:58
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  17:08:56  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YAY!

Next!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  17:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, as I wrote above, the floor is yours !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  17:08:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally found the question I wanted to ask, and now that I re-visit it, it doesn't appear nearly as esoterc as I had at first thought (I found a second source), but I'll ask it anyway, just because it is an interesting tidbit:

What do the Barbarians of the Ride refer to themselves as?

And thanks, Fillow.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Nov 2008 17:08:34
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  17:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Mark.
I send you a PM with the answer I found about your Barbarian question... Just tell me if I'm right.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  21:52:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, people usually just respond here, but you were indeed correct...

Did you want to give someone else chance to answer it?

I see if I want to play this I'm going to have to come up with much harder ones.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  22:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not allowed to answer this one Mark !
Thanks however.

Wooly's rules (page 1 of this thread) say that we have to wait 5 days long after we provided a correct answer !
And I answered... Yesterday !!

Maybe in four days...
The other scribes should find it before... so I will try with the next one !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  17:00:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I finally found the question I wanted to ask, and now that I re-visit it, it doesn't appear nearly as esoterc as I had at first thought (I found a second source), but I'll ask it anyway, just because it is an interesting tidbit:

What do the Barbarians of the Ride refer to themselves as?

And thanks, Fillow.

Is the answer Steve?

Seriously though, I am thinking the Angardt ? From the FRCS?

if so, Fillow ask a question! If not...game on!

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  18:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not the answer I found.
So I do not think it's the good one, Red One. And I did not use the same source.
I go to have a look in it...

Mark, if you want to confirm the Red's answwer...

EDIT : I found the Angardt, but not in one of the FRCS.
In How the mighty are fallen, the Angardt are told to be a group of barbarians who dwell in the Southeast forest.
And in Netheril- Empires of Magic, they are told to be a barbarian tribe, living near Frostypaw.

These ones are not from the Ride so I do not think they are the barbarians Mark wrote about.

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 03 Nov 2008 18:46:34
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  19:40:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's not the answer I found.
So I do not think it's the good one, Red One. And I did not use the same source.
I go to have a look in it...

Mark, if you want to confirm the Red's answwer...

EDIT : I found the Angardt, but not in one of the FRCS.
In How the mighty are fallen, the Angardt are told to be a group of barbarians who dwell in the Southeast forest.
And in Netheril- Empires of Magic, they are told to be a barbarian tribe, living near Frostypaw.

These ones are not from the Ride so I do not think they are the barbarians Mark wrote about.

You may very well be right, I got my bit from the human ethnicities section : "The nomadic barbarians of the Ride north of the Moonsea are believed to be descendants of the Angardt barbarians of northern Netheril"

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  00:51:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As part of my many mapping projects, I've taken to keeping track of ALL Torillian racial groups, and the Angardt is incorrect.

Sorry.

The Ride Barbarians are related to the Angardt through the Rengardt Barabrians, who are composed of the same racial stock as The Ride (but not the group I'm specifically looking for) mixed with Angardt after the fall of Netheril (the original Nethrease are related to the Ride Barbarians, along with folk of the Tunlands).

So there is a round-about connection, but the Angardt are more like their 'second cousins'.

So the question is still on the floor.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  16:02:51  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

80- What do the Barbarians of the Ride refer to themselves as?

Warriors of the Ride are called the "Eraka" in their own tongue. Warriors and Priests of the Realm, p.27.

Markustay, that was a good question!

Since I'm fairly certain I'm correct--and have to step away to partake the chaos of the polls--I'll post my question.

81- This rare white substance of the Underdark, sometimes used to plate or seal doors, takes its name from it's long-ago discoverer.

Edited by - monknwildcat on 04 Nov 2008 16:12:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  16:18:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

81- This rare white substance of the Underdark, sometimes used to plate or seal doors, takes its name from it's long-ago discoverer.

I love that stuff, and the sourcebook it is described in.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  16:27:17  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

I love that stuff, and the sourcebook it is described in.

Me, too. And I was disappointed to see it nerfed in (hint!hint!) later editions.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  18:39:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it Hizagkuur

from Magic of Faerun?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: