Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  12:06:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oooh! I can answer this one right now. But I'll give our other participating scribes a chance first.

Why do you always ruin my attempts to find something really obscure?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  12:24:32  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course you're right!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  14:30:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Oooh! I can answer this one right now. But I'll give our other participating scribes a chance first.

Why do you always ruin my attempts to find something really obscure?

Sorry. But they're almost always easy questions for me.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  18:30:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, time for a hint...

The one using this false identity was also known, in the recent past, as a retainer of confidential information. She dwells in a large coastal city.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  19:25:14  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is I may ad a question.

This will be an easy one thou:

What was the treasure Elminster brought with him out of the Grove of Secrets in which he spend a lot of time with the Srinshee? In Cormanthor!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  19:26:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Is I may ad a question.

This will be an easy one thou:

What was the treasure Elminster brought with him out of the Grove of Secrets in which he spend a lot of time with the Srinshee? In Cormanthor!

I believe you only get to ask a question after answering the latest on which is :

The officially poor widow Oelavarra Draethfurl is a false identity for whom?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 03 Sep 2008 19:27:27
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  21:39:04  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly, Sage, thanks for saving it. I pondered this one and realized I had the book right in front of me. Namely, Dragons of Faerūn, page 34: it's Taraunramorlamurla, a.k.a. "Serenescales". A lady song dragon (or weredragon, if you prefer ) who lives in that certain coastal city of Waterdeep.
And to be nice, let's go with Nicolai's question:

quote:
What was the treasure Elminster brought with him out of the Grove of Secrets in which he spend a lot of time with the Srinshee, in Cormanthor?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  21:47:42  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot
And to be nice, let's go with Nicolai's question:

quote:
What was the treasure Elminster brought with him out of the Grove of Secrets in which he spend a lot of time with the Srinshee, in Cormanthor?

This question already has been asked (answer was his frienship with the Srinshee).

Edited by - Skeptic on 03 Sep 2008 21:48:18
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  22:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh...I'm zil for two now on repeats, and I almost asked a question about the original owner of the Unique Mageries, but Oghma help me, I scoured the archives. Okay...

Which famous mythal barred from entry all those beings who had ever eaten dwarf, elf, or human flesh?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  00:59:12  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Props to Daviot for being polite!
Props to Nicolai for asking a great question, even if already asked!
Props to Christopher for Abba filking!

quote:
Which famous mythal barred from entry all those beings who had ever eaten dwarf, elf, or human flesh?

The mythal of Glaurachyndaar, now known as Myth Glaurach, formerly barred all beings who had ever eaten elf, dwarf, or human flesh. (Apparently gnome and halfling flesh's too tasty to bar!?!?)
source: Lost Empires of Faerūn p90.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  02:51:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat
The mythal of Glaurachyndaar, now known as Myth Glaurach, formerly barred all beings who had ever eaten elf, dwarf, or human flesh. (Apparently gnome and halfling flesh's too tasty to bar!?!?)

That was one of Eric's more ghoulish design choices in the Realms. When I first saw it in draft I thought it was way "cool" with a big "ewwwwww" attached to it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  03:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Indeed! Next question's all yours, saer.

My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  03:41:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wooly, Sage, thanks for saving it. I pondered this one and realized I had the book right in front of me. Namely, Dragons of Faerūn, page 34: it's Taraunramorlamurla, a.k.a. "Serenescales". A lady song dragon (or weredragon, if you prefer ) who lives in that certain coastal city of Waterdeep.

... And was formerly the Keeper of Secrets -- hence, "retainer of confidential information".

This was the first time I had a question that couldn't be found by following Google.

I usually refrain from answering questions because I prefer giving other people a chance. This time isn't nearly as bad as the first time, but we still do have a smaller number of folks who manage to answer a lot of the questions. It's to be expected, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  04:07:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I usually refrain from answering questions because I prefer giving other people a chance. This time isn't nearly as bad as the first time, but we still do have a smaller number of folks who manage to answer a lot of the questions. It's to be expected, though.
Indeed. I know it's a lot of fun, but I tend to keep in the background when I can. It's often too easy for me to pop in and answer the questions that come up. So it's somewhat easier [and more fair for other scribes] for me to just look in on this scroll occasionally and resist the temptation to answer when I'm able [according to the rules of the Trivia Challenge].

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  06:31:36  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next question!

Explain the term "leaves of gold" from the below commonly recounted poem:
Autumn's turning yields leaves of gold,
a mantle fit for woodland kings.
Wood nymphs weep cold tears of sorrow,
and yet the fair Hamagess sings.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  08:10:35  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reference is to "Leaves of Gold", magically occuring arcane writings on what appear to be oak leaves made of purest gold, in the vicinity of Turlang's Wood, near Everlund, in the High Forest. The Hamagess was a fey enchantress of unprecedented prowess whose magical legacy is partially recorded in these mysterious writings.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  13:13:10  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

The reference is to "Leaves of Gold", magically occuring arcane writings on what appear to be oak leaves made of purest gold, in the vicinity of Turlang's Wood, near Everlund, in the High Forest. The Hamagess was a fey enchantress of unprecedented prowess whose magical legacy is partially recorded in these mysterious writings.

Well-done, Vangelor!

For those interested in checking out the Leaves and Hamagess, would you please provide the source for the answer to "Leaves of Gold"?

The next question's yours!
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  08:49:06  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came across that lore in a bardic miscellany called Mintiper's Chapbook, by Eric L Boyd, amidst scrolls gathered by certain Wizards who dwell by the sea:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20010829c

Enjoy!

Next Question: How did Waterdhavian crimelord Elaith Craulnober introduce himself to the half-blood daughter of his erstwhile lover, Amnestria, and what was the significance of his gesture?

Edited by - Vangelor on 05 Sep 2008 14:36:28
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  16:51:11  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it's time for a clue, Vangelor!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  17:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that Elaith met Arilyn in a tavern in Elfshadow. But I do not have an access to my books ATM !
Good luck to the other scribes...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  20:52:00  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fillow gave a good clue, and I will round it out a little. The meeting did in fact occur in one of Waterdeep's finest drinking-spots. Danilo Thann ordered zzar...
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  21:49:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He introduced himself by saying, "Amnestria!, Quefirre soora kan izzt?"

The signifcance would be that he thought she was her mother, who was once upon a time, Elaith's lover Amnestria.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 07 Sep 2008 21:51:45
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  02:29:31  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is indeed how he introduced himself, and what he meant. I'll take it. :)

I was going for his sharing the elverquisst ritual with her - representing that he was greeting her as a fellow elf, rather than excluding her from Tel'Quessir culture as a half-blood.

Your question, Red!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  03:03:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! A question from Red Walker. I'm looking forward to this.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  02:48:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, This "Daughter of Samular"(name her) Has a Shop(What is it's name?), and what street is it on?

A bonus 1/4 point for the city!(hey that's the easy part!)

edit:added bold type

Edited by - The Red Walker on 09 Sep 2008 03:47:32
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  02:49:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oooh! A question from Red Walker. I'm looking forward to this.

Hmmmm...I think I made it an easier one, since you seem to be so well versed on the difficult and obscure!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 09 Sep 2008 02:50:24
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  05:25:43  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that Samular's daughter is Bronwin. Her shop is The Curious Past, and it's located in the Street of Silver...
In Waterdeep of course !

I found that in Dragon #251 and the street piece of information in the novel Thornbold

I've no question and I have to go to work. So, please fellow scribes, help me and ask the next one if however my answer was the good one.

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  08:06:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an easy one:

Where is the mansion of the self-styled "Gnome King" Karlus "Goldgoblet" Dlinshoulder located?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  13:41:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I would say that Samular's daughter is Bronwin. Her shop is The Curious Past, and it's located in the Street of Silver...
In Waterdeep of course !

I found that in Dragon #251 and the street piece of information in the novel Thornbold

I've no question and I have to go to work. So, please fellow scribes, help me and ask the next one if however my answer was the good one.

Nice work, it is indeed Bronwyn!

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  19:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thank you Red Walker and also thank you George.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000