Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  01:48:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Just wait a few time and you'll see if your hint is enough for other players !

I'll put up another clue tomorrow if nothing's come up, then. Thanks, Fillow.

By the way, I find your English to be excellent. I lived in Paris for a year, but by the end of that time I found that I got along best if I just pretended to be a very quiet Belgian.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  17:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, one more hint. This port city lies in lands that house rare phenomenon, in their southern and eastern ravines, called "flowmud."

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  18:32:06  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

By the way, I find your English to be excellent. I lived in Paris for a year, but by the end of that time I found that I got along best if I just pretended to be a very quiet Belgian.

Would you speak about the French attitude with foreighners ? I'm so sorry if my fellow citizens were not very nice with you. Did the women do the same ? I do not think so...
You know, in France we really feel difficult to use foreighn language !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  18:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What riverport town, "ruled by a flamboyant fop," is known as a traditional home to various types of wordsmiths like minstrels and jesters, and (this is my favorite bit) has a book publishing industry?

hint #1 : The riverport town you're looking for is one of a several along a river than lends its martial name to the lands it drains.
hint #2 : This port city lies in lands that house rare phenomenon, in their southern and eastern ravines, called "flowmud."

Thanks to my last source book purchase, I recalled I read the "Flowmud" term few days ago. So I found the martial name of the river !
Indeed it is a martial name ! I shoul have think about it by myself !!
I go to have a look at a map to follow the course of the river.

I'll be back !!

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 30 Aug 2008 18:41:13
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  18:43:55  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fanedown ! a riverport on the Sword River, in the Sword Lands.
Traditionally home to many minstrels, jesters, and wits, Fanedown is one of the few places in Returned Abeir where books are published. The town is ruled by a flamboyant fop, Lord Hansibran Maerl.

I finally understood why the Sword River did not sounds as "something that I knew" in my mind !
It's a 4E question !! The first one if I do not misunderstand.

It's a part of returned Abeir.
I found it in the 4E FRCG, p. 215.

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 30 Aug 2008 18:46:20
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  18:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vive le France!

Fillow's the winner, and is now on the block!

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  18:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Vive le France!

Fillow's the winner, and is now on the block!

Thanks Christopher.

Vive LA France my friend ! LA ! We love women in France you know, so France is called as a woman !

So, the next one... euh...
Do you mind if I let another fellow scribe ask the next one.
Just tell me.
I try to get one and I come back. But Feel free to ask another question.
I have to feed my children before searching one new and not too bad question.

Please find one for me !

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 30 Aug 2008 18:50:44
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  19:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, this is why when I lived in Montrouge it was best that I kept very, very quiet!

I dunno the rules about going twice in a row, but if nobody has any objections, here's another one from me (and if anybody does have objections, just jump in and trump me with another one!).

Where (and I suppose when) and to which deity was the temple tended by Meriel Starglance located?

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  19:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So here is the next one :

Where (and when) and to which deity was the temple tended by Meriel Starglance located?

thanks to you Christopher (and not Chris ! as I remember !)

out of topic P.S. : I lived near Montrouge (Malakoff) for two years !! Quite funny.

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 30 Aug 2008 19:15:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  20:01:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are 4e questions allowable?

Although I personally feel they should be, I think many of the 'learned scribes' here will have a problem answering them.

Then again, I suppose it's good to stump people.

The other side of the coin is that this question takes place outside of Faerūn - does that mean Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Zakhara questions are also allowable?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Aug 2008 20:03:41
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  20:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the 4E edition questions, in his first post, Wooly wrote :
quote:
6. At this time, only questions which cover the entirety of 1e, 2e, and 3e FORGOTTEN REALMS are allowed as part of this Trivia Challenge. After the official release of 4e FR material, we will revise the Challenge and incorporate questions from FR 4e.

I do not know if Christopher's question was allowable.
However, the answer has been found and a new one is on the air.

Wooly, please tell us about the 4E edition questions please.

About Kara-Tur, Maztica and Zakhara, I found no data in the rules Wooly set.

So, I think we need an update of the rules Wooly

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  21:56:24  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm not Wooly, incorporating 4E no more disadvantages scribes than incorporating the earlier editions' resources. It's admirable to want to not want others to feel excluded, MT, but scribes who don't update to 4E (like me) will find answers to some questions beyond their resources.

It's a good idea to clarify the position of peripherals like Kara-tur, Maztica, Zakhara and Abeir beyond the continent of Faerūn, though.

I caught your hint to the River of Swords, but I didn't have the answer, Christopher. It's a fun part of the game to learn more, so thanks for introducing me to Hansibran.

Now off to search for Starglance references!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  23:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, before I posted the question I went and checked the rules and I thought #6 meant 4E was in the clear now.

If not, well, hey, I headed the other direction for this one!

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  00:08:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Are 4e questions allowable?

Although I personally feel they should be, I think many of the 'learned scribes' here will have a problem answering them.

Then again, I suppose it's good to stump people.

The other side of the coin is that this question takes place outside of Faerūn - does that mean Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Zakhara questions are also allowable?

it's no different then the older gamers asking questions pertaining to lore from 1 or 2E sources. I think all editions of FR should be game.

Edited by - scererar on 31 Aug 2008 00:09:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  02:52:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm honestly a bit divided on the 4E questions... I see no reason not to include them, but at the same time, the book is still quite new. And since it's so divisive, a lot of people are refraining from buying it.

I think we should allow 4E questions, but maybe we should steer clear of them for another month or two, to give people a chance to get and read the book.

As for Zakhara, Maztica, and Kara-Tur... All those places are on Toril and are thus part of the Forgotten Realms. I would point out, though, that even those folks quite familiar with a large amount of material about Faerūn may not be as up on the other regions. So with this, too, I see no reason to disallow the questions. Not everyone will know the answers, but that's also a risk with questions from older resources.

Me, I'm only good on the Heartlands, and I mainly know 2E and 3.x.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  03:09:12  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
reasonable enough explaination for me to hold off on asking 4E questions. There relly is some interesting stuff in the FRCG though
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  12:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm honestly a bit divided on the 4E questions... I see no reason not to include them, but at the same time, the book is still quite new. And since it's so divisive, a lot of people are refraining from buying it.

I think we should allow 4E questions, but maybe we should steer clear of them for another month or two, to give people a chance to get and read the book.

IMHO, I think we could be allowed to ask 4E questions.
Indeed, 1E, 2E, 3E and 3.5E questions are allowed but we know that all the scribes do not own all these source books. This fact is not a matter, even if these books are too "old" for some of us.
But the fact that the FRCG is too young seems to be a problem ? I do not think so.

Hoping my post was understandable.
Have a nice quizz !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  14:31:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

IMHO, I think we could be allowed to ask 4E questions.
Indeed, 1E, 2E, 3E and 3.5E questions are allowed but we know that all the scribes do not own all these source books. This fact is not a matter, even if these books are too "old" for some of us.
But the fact that the FRCG is too young seems to be a problem ? I do not think so.

Hoping my post was understandable.
Have a nice quizz !

I'm just saying wait a month or so, to give more people a time to get and read it.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  14:40:17  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works for me!

Thanks for clarifying, Wooly!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  14:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works for me too Bossy Wooly !

The current Christopher_Rowe question (and not a 4E one) is :
Where (and when) was the temple tended by Meriel Starglance located ? And to which deity was it dedicated ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  16:41:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might take this one, if I can come up with a good question to follow up.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  02:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, it's looking like that coy Wooly one's probably got this one, but I think I'm still supposed to give a hint about now. Fillow, the non-native English speaker, managed to come up with a much better formulation of it than I did. What can I say? Public schools.

So, the question:

Where (and when) was the temple tended by Meriel Starglance located ? And to which deity was it dedicated?

Aaaand, your hint.

Meriel's temple is little known, even in the area where it rests. That can't be said of the other nearby temple, though, which many people have knowledge of. Which only makes sense, really.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 01 Sep 2008 02:28:44
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  06:45:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I was home... that sounds VERY familiar, and I think I would know where to look...

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

reasonable enough explaination for me to hold off on asking 4E questions. There relly is some interesting stuff in the FRCG though

To be honest, I was more concerned with it being outside of Faerūn, then it being 4e.

I have the book, and just didn't think to check it - I was busy looking around the other River of Swords in Mulhorand trying to find it, after that hint.

I do so hate being stumped on Geaography questions.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Sep 2008 06:48:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  13:52:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've got to meet with the DJ, so I can't look this one up right now... But if it's not answered by this afternoon, I'm going to grab it.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  15:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Request lots of ABBA!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  16:34:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Request lots of ABBA!

ABBA was just a bit before my time.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  17:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, technically before mine, too--but Mama had the eight-tracks. Besides, ABBA is for all time--heck, there's a movie out right now!

So, anyway, in honor of the song that Wooly Rupert will take to the floor with for his first dance as a married man, here's one last clue--to the tune of "Dancing Queen."

She tends the forest shrine, biding time, keeping the glen real neat
Chaotic Good, if she could, she'd go on to Evermeet
She can pray, she can heal, P7s can even do more
See that girl, watch that elf, a servant of Arvandor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  05:50:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, according to page 23 of FRS1 The Dalelands, Meriel Starglance tended to Corellon's temple. She was the only priestess, and she was planning on leaving for Evermeet. The same book refers to Mourngrym's son Scothgar, born in 1358, as a "young son", and it says Syluné's death in 1356 was "more than 10 years ago". So the timeframe would be around 1368, I think, give or take a few years. Looking up the "when" took a bit more effort.

Assuming I'm right...

The officially poor widow Oelavarra Draethfurl is a false identity for whom?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  06:41:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I can answer this one right now. But I'll give our other participating scribes a chance first.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  11:28:39  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Request lots of ABBA!

At the risk of committing high treason - request absolutely no ABBA at all! If you're going to have Swedish pop-music at the wedding, make him find some Miss Li instead, much more danceable (if you enjoy klezmer mixed with standard pop-fare that is). And um... I'm not even close to being on-topic am I?

And I think I too know this one, but I haven't got any books to check in. Grr.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 02 Sep 2008 11:29:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000