Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  04:59:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'm drawing a blank...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  05:26:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I tried a search of all my pdfs, and nada.

Even with the hints.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  05:45:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemus/Artemis Collin. :) He tends the shrine to Mielikki in the Way Inn.

No, I don't have a question to add and I cheated by using my npc list. :) Yes, in one of the books his name is spelled differently. :)

And I'll pass my question on to whomever.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Aug 2008 05:48:13
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  06:09:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quickie, then - And thank you Kuje, for passing the honor.

Where was Yarlith located, and what was it known for?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  06:11:21  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Kuje, for putting me out of my hint misery!!!

I thought it would be an easier, inclusive question since the Marco Volo adventures (specifically, Marco Volo: Departure) are WOTC free downloads. I'll find something more mainstream for next time.

Were the hints ok for Masker Wands/Marco Volo and The Way Inn?

Edited by - monknwildcat on 23 Aug 2008 06:13:17
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  06:13:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were pretty good hints and I thought that that was the trilogy you meant. It is kind of mainstream also because he also has a entry in the 2nd edition box set. :) Which is where I got the Artemus spelling. I love 2e's npc's that changed names from one book to the next. :)

quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Thank you, Kuje, for putting me out of my hint misery!!!

I thought it would be an easier, inclusive question since the Marco Volo adventures (specifically, Marco Volo: Departure) are WOTC free downloads. I'll find something more mainstream for next time.

Were the hints ok for Masker Wands/Marco Volo and The Way Inn?

Any takers for Kuje's question?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Aug 2008 06:14:41
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  06:16:15  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, Kuje!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  14:23:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never understood how the name of a goddess became a guy's name. I've seen Artemis (or slightly different spellings of it) used as a male name more than once, but I've never seen any references to a male Ishtar, or a male Isis, or a male Aphrodite...

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  14:39:22  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a similar note, I've always wondered why Ilmater's male. Perhap that'a why (s)he joined the hot goddesses in Brightwater!

Pending trivia question:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Where was Yarlith located, and what was it known for?

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  21:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yarlith, along with its sister-city-state Uthtower, were both located in what is now the Mere of Dead Men, on the Sword Coast North, south of Eigersstor (now Neverwinter). Yarlith, Uthtower, and nearby Illusk fell to an orc horde in 611, forming the Mere.

As for Yarlith, it was formed off of Uthtower to prevent a dynastic squabble between the twin heirs of that country, in 191 DR, and the Twinned Crowns of Mymoran* were forged in that same year.

I'm not quite sure "what it was known for".

*The Twinned Crown of Yarlith is currently in the hands of Voaraghamanthar and Waervaerendor, the twin-brother black dragons of the Mere of Dead Men.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:33:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea if you are correct, because I don't recognize any of that info - I'm obviously looking in a completely different source, which doesn't exactly disagree with yours, but has different info.

What source are you citing?

<to be honest, I thought mine was the only mention of Yarlith>

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:37:29  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I do not misunderstand (It would not be the first time, so you're now used to that !), Yarlith is written about in Dragon #228 & #258 and in Dungeon #73.
Make your choice !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:41:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if I told everyone the source I'm using, then it would be a dead give-away.

However, because this confusion is my fault, I'll give it awhile longer and then list the entry I was referencing with the info I was looking for.

PS - Fillow is on the right track.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Aug 2008 20:42:02
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Well, if I told everyone the source I'm using, then it would be a dead give-away.

Oops !
For once I did not misunderstand ! I waste the suspense.
I'm sorry Mark.
That was not my aim.

Let's say it was the hint of the day...

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  21:03:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was the exact passage I was looking at, from Dragon #228 (the Athalantan Campaign Article {pg.35} - one of my all-time favorites) -

quote:
Some vessels did make the journey, however. They called at the rich city of Tavaray (which is now entirely sunken beneath the vast, noisome Lizard Marsh) and the tiny seacoast realms of Uthtower (covered by the present-day Mere of Dead Men) and Yarlith (which lay somewhat south of where Neverwinter is now; a land of skilled woodcarvers, hardy shepherds, and – of necessity – tireless orc-slayers).

Accent, mine.

That was the info I was seeking, but since other detailed info was provided to me (and thus enhancing my own knowledge), I'll give it to Daviot, and eagerly await his question.

PS: I'd still like to know where his lore came from.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Aug 2008 03:58:46
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  01:40:19  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the same Dragon article (228), plus the Wyrms of the North series on WotC, plus both the old .pdf version and the newer published version of Grand History of the Realms. I was trying to be thorough.

Okay...question from me...

Which black-haired hooked-nose "Bold" ex-thief lost a hand and received a prosthetic from a certain Waterdhavian mage and then studied under that same mage until the mage's death, and several months later, engaged his mentor's killers and other thieves in an epic spell-battle in Waterdeep, before leaving an apology to the Blackstaff and leaving the city?
Whooh...that was a long one.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.

Edited by - Daviot on 27 Aug 2008 05:30:33
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  05:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daviot,
could you please just write your questions in "bold" letters ? Just in order to be more readable when one wanders through the topic, searching questiosn of the quizz.
Thanks a lot.

So :
Which black-haired hooked-nose "Bold" ex-thief lost a hand and received a prosthetic from a certain Waterdhavian mage and then studied under that same mage until the mage's death, and several months later, engaged his mentor's killers and other thieves in an epic spell-battle in Waterdeep, before leaving an apology to the Blackstaff and leaving the city?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  05:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Daviot,
could you please just write your questions in "bold" letters ?

Sorry, fixed.

My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  14:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baelam the Bold?

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  20:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Daviot,
could you please just write your questions in "bold" letters ?

Sorry, fixed.

There's no problem Dav'
No need of excuses.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  23:10:51  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Baelam the Bold?

Indeed, sir! My favorite NPC written up from the venerable Ruins of Myth Drannor. Your turn for a question.

My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  23:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Thanks. This is the first time I've done this!

What riverport town, "ruled by a flamboyant fop," is known as a traditional home to various types of wordsmiths like minstrels and jesters, and (this is my favorite bit) has a book publishing industry?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:32:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Baelam the Bold?

Indeed, sir! My favorite NPC written up from the venerable Ruins of Myth Drannor. Your turn for a question.

Baelam the Bold is one of my fave NPCs. I refrained from mentioning that, though, because the very first question of this thread is also about Baelam.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  07:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Baelam the Bold is one of my fave NPCs. I refrained from mentioning that, though, because the very first question of this thread is also about Baelam.

I'm just a bit out of the loop these past few days, aren't I?

My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  19:44:23  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm just a bit out of the loop these past few days, aren't I?

You're not the only one you know!
if you want to have a look at the preceeding questions, just go there : http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11074

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  20:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Awesome! Thanks. This is the first time I've done this!

What riverport town, "ruled by a flamboyant fop," is known as a traditional home to various types of wordsmiths like minstrels and jesters, and (this is my favorite bit) has a book publishing industry?

Today is a good day for a hint. Isn't it ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  20:44:45  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Today is a good day for a hint. Isn't it ?

Okay, how about this?

The riverport town you're looking for is one of a several along a river than lends its martial name to the lands it drains.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  20:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not enough for me !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  20:47:03  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. What kinds of hints do people usually need? I shouldn't be too specific, should I?

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  20:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wait a few time and you'll see if your hint is enough for other players !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000