Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  05:12:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe it's just me... but providing a hint will make it too easy, I think.

Even aiming us at a particular source, like I did when I obliquely hinted at Volo's Guide to the North, could be helpful.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  05:29:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll have to look deeply into previous realmslore to get the answer to this one.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  05:34:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. That works for me.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  05:41:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, I don't have that one in pdf.

Edit: Oh, wait, yes I do.

You're right, even hinting at the source did make it easy. Sorry!

"A single rune of power was used to level the ancient city of Dharrmaghongh in Murghom, long ago. "

Dwarves Deep, page 42.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Jul 2008 05:45:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  06:22:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one will prolly be easy...

Whose white great cloak has been worn by Maaril, Torias Wands, Anharla Harpell, and Laeral Silverhand?

Go to Top of Page

Brother Accam
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  06:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Brother Accam's Homepage Send Brother Accam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great! I remember the last Trivia Challenge. I wasn't registered at the time however, so I couldn't answer any questions.

I should go back and read the rules before I participate though.

'Too much time spent in stuffy rooms reading old books written by dead men.'
-- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  20:38:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... Okay, hint time.

In the city where this now-dead mage once ruled, his life is commemorated every year on the day after Midsummer's Night.

And the place I got the question from isn't a sourcebook, though it is a Realms resource.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  05:37:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another hint on the source: think "after hours".

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  18:22:02  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Answer: Ahghairon

found the entry in realms by night article 9; The spirit of Ahghairon.

found here:
http://wizards.com/forgottenrealms/DnD_RBN_009.asp

thanks for the hints Wooly I would not have found the answer otherwise. That is assuming my answer is the correct one.

This one made me think of all of the realms lore archives. Does anyone have them all saved somewhere? It would be helpful if WOTC would allow a yearly download of the articles into one file.

Edited by - scererar on 13 Jul 2008 19:52:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  02:12:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Answer: Ahghairon

found the entry in realms by night article 9; The spirit of Ahghairon.

found here:
http://wizards.com/forgottenrealms/DnD_RBN_009.asp

thanks for the hints Wooly I would not have found the answer otherwise. That is assuming my answer is the correct one.

This one made me think of all of the realms lore archives. Does anyone have them all saved somewhere? It would be helpful if WOTC would allow a yearly download of the articles into one file.

That is the correct answer. So far as I know, a couple of those people haven't had many (if any!) other mentions in Realmslore.

I have all the files saved, but only to my own hard drive.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  02:31:57  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool. This next bit of lore sounded interesting.

Though he appears to be a normal hobgoblin, this person is actually a reincarnated evil warrior. What is his name?
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  05:36:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

cool. This next bit of lore sounded interesting.

Though he appears to be a normal hobgoblin, this person is actually a reincarnated evil warrior. What is his name?

Hint: mercenaries of the north.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  08:54:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, the hint got me thinking. I was looking at a mercenary group just the other day - the Red Ravens from Arabel detailed in Gold and Glory. And after some real searching time I also found the answer who this other mercenary is that you are asking for -

Question: Though he appears to be a normal hobgoblin, this person is actually a reincarnated evil warrior. What is his name?

Answer: Ardenor Crush, (who is the leader of the Chill mernerary band from Chill Tower in the Lurkwood. After he found himself reincarnated in a hobgoblin body, Ardenor formed a band to exact revenge on those who had slain him.)

Source: Gold & Glory, p. 19.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  01:36:57  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
correct, your turn
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  07:03:19  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, scererar. However, as I will be away from these boards for the next 10 days, I willingly pass on my question to the next scribe, who is will to take it upon himself to do so. I would not be able to give hints or the likes.

Therefore - whoever wants to do so - feel free to take it upon yourself to post the next question.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Jul 2008 07:04:01
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  09:09:57  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Therefore - whoever wants to do so - feel free to take it upon yourself to post the next question.

If I may?

What two places does the Cloven Stone link?

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Jul 2008 09:10:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  15:40:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

If I may?

Damian

Here and there!

Or do I need to be more specific?

I just read this particular bit a few months ago, so finding this one was easy. But, my own rules once more thwart me...

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  17:00:36  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Damian

quote:

Here and there!

Or do I need to be more specific?

I just read this particular bit a few months ago, so finding this one was easy. But, my own rules once more thwart me...

Tut-tut - of course you need to be more specific .

Am sure if no one else gets it by tomorrow, then we will let you give the answer (and break the rules for a change....)

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  20:43:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, perhaps a hint is in order.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  21:12:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, perhaps a hint is in order.

Though swords did you take,
no blood must be spilled.
Else he rises again,
the faithful fulfilled.

Does that help?

Damian
ps this is a hint to the source in which it can be found

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 20 Jul 2008 09:39:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  11:09:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the clue is too obscure... I know the answer, but the clue gives me nothing.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  12:05:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As WR is now canonised into the Realms, I thought it best to listen to his sound counsel

Hint:
It can be found in a Kingdom that is not on mainland Faerun

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sherincall Tijanic
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  00:26:19  Show Profile Send Sherincall Tijanic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Cloven Stone is an old gate linking the Great Grove with the High King#146;s castle."
Halls of the High King, page 24.

Now, here's a bit of a different question, hopefully it fits the rules.
What does the spell 'Feudal Mind' do?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  01:50:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recognize that one at all... It is from a Forgotten Realms resource, correct?

Go to Top of Page

Sherincall Tijanic
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  08:38:18  Show Profile Send Sherincall Tijanic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is indeed from one of the following: 1. All questions must come from a novel, sourcebook, official TSR/WotC web release, or Dragon magazine.
However, it is as obscure as I can imagine. Perhaps I should change it to something more familiar?
Go to Top of Page

Sherincall Tijanic
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  10:31:54  Show Profile Send Sherincall Tijanic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at it now, I realize that noone would be able to answer it as it isn't really a conventional FR Lore question. So here's a new, easy one just to continue with the thread:
What is a 'bela'?

(If you want the answer to the Feudal Mind thing, PM me)

Edited by - Sherincall Tijanic on 23 Jul 2008 12:27:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  15:01:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherincall Tijanic

It is indeed from one of the following: 1. All questions must come from a novel, sourcebook, official TSR/WotC web release, or Dragon magazine.
However, it is as obscure as I can imagine. Perhaps I should change it to something more familiar?

Well, I was wondering if it was specifically from a Forgotten Realms source, not just a D&D one.

We've had obscure questions before; that wasn't an issue. It was just that I not only couldn't remember anything like that, I also couldn't find anything remotely similar. That's why I was wanting to make sure it was something from a Realms source.

Since you've changed your question, can you provide an answer to the first one?

Go to Top of Page

Sherincall Tijanic
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  15:28:27  Show Profile Send Sherincall Tijanic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is from one of the first Dragon magazines (Not sure exactly which one, I could check it in a day if required), one of it's marginal comical references, describing it as making a warrior (mounted one) blindly charge the nearest enemy with no regard for friends that might happen in his path.
(Before you consider me crazy, I remembered that one, because one of my players used it)
I consider any DnD info not specifically attached to a single setting, automatically a part of every, including FR. Take Magic Missile for example, nowhere does it say that it exists in The Forgotten Realms, but you cannot deny that it does.

Why I changed the question, though, is because it is a jocular reference, rather than a true spell description.

Anyway, let's get the topic rolling again, I so enjoyed reading through the past 15 pages.
What is a 'bela'?
(Wooly, your five days have long since passed)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  21:50:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a Forgotten Realms site first and foremost, and while many of us are very familiar with the rules, the intent of this game is

Forgotten Realms Trivia

Hence, the title of the thread.

We kinda stick to canon here....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  03:58:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We all kind of forgot about this one, so it's time for a hint... I'll admit to drawing a blank on what a bela is.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000