Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  10:52:48  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How could I dare to step up when the lovely lady has already made it half the way to the finish line.
I'll keep silent on this one, too, unless Rino refuses to take this little extra effort and bails out.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  12:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There was a web enhancement about saurials... I'll refrain from posting the link, though. I don't want to make it too easy.

I do not see what hint I could give !
Everything is ready to answer !
I could just add that a Dragon issue dealt also with them ! And a lot of Web ressources dealt with saurials !

Is my question without any interest for the game ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  13:10:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think people simply got distracted -- I know I did, I was moving.

I believe Serpent Kingdoms was the web enhancement I was thinking of.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  13:31:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is the web enhancement for Serpent Kingdoms, aye.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  14:38:05  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These community-minded creatures were kidnapped from an alternate Material Plane, enslaved by the imprisoned deity Moander and transported to the Lost Vale, in the Dalelands.
What is this race and what are its subraces ?

Has this not been answered yet? The hint to the WE should really have done it IMO. Anyway, by Oghma's everlasting patience, here we have the answer than:

The race we seek are the Saurial (as Rino already pointed out correctly) and according to Sean K. Reynolds article 'Lords of the Lost Vale' in Dragon Magazine #292, p. 37 and the WE to Serpent Kindoms 4 sub-races exist in the Realms: the Bladebacks, Finheads, Flyers and Hornheads. (Could be the last names of some Hobbit families as well, if you ask me! )

On 2nd. Ed. Saurials you can read in Hall of Heroes, p. 24.

BTW, I never understood why the Saurial didn't make it into Races of Faerun. But we have the Dragon article and WE, so why bother!?

I assume to be correct. My answer will follow sometime later, with or without confirmation!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 16 Jun 2008 14:48:07
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  15:59:19  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the next one:

What do Bran Skorlsun, Durnan 'the Wanderer', Khelben 'Blackstaff' Arunsun, Hilmer 'of Waterdeep', Laeral Silverhand, Mirt 'the Moneylender', Trunnian Regallis, and Yaereene Ilbareth have in common?

There might actually be more than one commonness. I'll let you know once anyone has found the one that I am asking for. Noone said it shoud be easy!

Good guessing, folks!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 16 Jun 2008 16:12:46
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  19:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it !!!!
Check your PMs Erg' !!

Ooops !
I forgot to update the list of the questions !
I do it on the moment.
Excuse-me.

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 16 Jun 2008 19:52:49
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  20:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a little question about the time we have to wait before we could answer a new one.
In the original post, when he set the rules, Wooly wrote we have to wait for five days before trying again.
Could I ask a change about that ?
What about waiting the two following questions after we have ask our one ?

As an example :
A scribe answers the question 20
He asks the 21st
He has to wait the 24th to play again, or these five days from the first rule.

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 16 Jun 2008 20:25:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  21:21:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My objective, in setting that rule, was to keep the same scribes from dominating the challenge. When we did this before, we had mostly the same people -- myself included -- asking and answering questions, and we were thus leaving other people out. So I put the five-day rule in there simply to make sure more people had a chance to participate.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  21:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No probs for me Wooly.
Indeed, you're totally right.

Read you tomorrow.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  22:22:53  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After all this commotion let it be known that the question is still open for answering. Here is comes once again:

What do Bran Skorlsun, Durnan 'the Wanderer', Khelben 'Blackstaff' Arunsun, Hilmer 'of Waterdeep', Laeral Silverhand, Mirt 'the Moneylender', Trunnian Regallis, and Yaereene Ilbareth have in common?

There might actually be more than one commonness. I'll let you know once anyone has found the one that I am asking for.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 16 Jun 2008 22:25:03
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  09:01:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

After all this commotion let it be known that the question is still open for answering. Here is comes once again:

There might actually be more than one commonness. I'll let you know once anyone has found the one that I am asking for.

Noone came around to answer yet? Fine, so here is the first hint:

The answer is not lost but can be found in a certain place in Undermountain.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  12:08:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've all entered the Lost Level.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  14:07:52  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

They've all entered the Lost Level.

-- George Krashos

That is one of the possible answers, but not the one I was looking for. Neither am I looking for the commoness that all are residents of Waterdeep.

The answer that I seek is very closely intertwined with their entrance to the lost level, though.

Ergdusch
who hopes that this is not too obscure.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 18 Jun 2008 14:17:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  19:16:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I would have guessed that they were among the few non-Elves to step foot on Evernmeet.
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

The race we seek are the Saurial (as Rino already pointed out correctly) and according to Sean K. Reynolds article 'Lords of the Lost Vale' in Dragon Magazine #292, p. 37 and the WE to Serpent Kindoms 4 sub-races exist in the Realms: the Bladebacks, Finheads, Flyers and Hornheads. (Could be the last names of some Hobbit families as well, if you ask me! )
Just a clarification.

There is a SECOND canon group living on Toril, as per the Malatra Campaign (better known as The Living Jungle), who are called LACERIALS. From what little I could gather, aside from the race name, they are identical to the four groups located in the Lost Vale.

Since that campaign was cancelled, it is next to impossible to find any resources from it (and I've tried damn hard), so I'm not sure if the four individual sub-races had different names there as well.

It was also pointed out, in some 2e source, that those four are the only ones present on Toril, and that others may in fact exist back on their homeworld.

Now, back to the game...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jun 2008 19:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  19:53:29  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markusthay

And here I would have guessed that they were among the few non-Elves to step foot on Evernmeet.

YOur assumtion holds true for only a few of them,such as Bran Skorlsun, Khelben and Trunnian Regallis. However, Yaereene Ilbareth for example is an elf, so she is out of the picture. So is Hilmer out as he is just a an Armorer of Waterdeep (though the best one, I've heard) and I doubt that he ever even came close to the island. Neither do I know about Mirt and Durnan ever visiting Evermeet.

Be that as it may, we have a winner:
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

They are all clan-friends of the dwarven clan Melairkyn.

"Bandaerl [Dumatheir, High Old One of Dumathoin], if asked of other clan-friends, will mention Bran Skorlsun, Durnan, Khelben Arunsun, Hilmer, Laeral, Mirt, Trunnian Regallis, and Yaereene Ilbareth. (All are natives or former natives of Waterdeep)" Undermountain, the Lost Level, p. 19

There we have it! Wonderful!

Congratulations, capnvan and the next question is yours to post!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 18 Jun 2008 19:57:36
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  02:30:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll go with Cydarin and Azaala.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  04:31:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I did say it would have only been a guess, because the couple of names I was familiar with I knew had been there (except for Mirt - not sure about him).

I was unaware that there were any Melairkyn left to be friends with. One of these days I should really read that lost level...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  10:41:24  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was unaware that there were any Melairkyn left to be friends with.

There are 5 living clan members actually! Go read the Lost Level or even better - play it. Your character might even end up not just as a friend but as the 6th member of the clan!

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  17:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, Azala is also known as Fire-Eyes

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  21:43:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I should break my watchful silence here to say there are a lot more than two notable mages in Teziir, but if we can believe the source capnvan is consulting, there were only two at the time when that source was current.
There. Not too much of a "breaker" hint.
I return the helm to interested scribes . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  01:46:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrr! A pleasure, Cap'n!

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  13:33:51  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that this student is one of the Simbul's Children but I cannot go farther !
Unable to find those *µ¤$£* Children !!

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  20:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isyio of course ! No link with The Simbul's children !
So, the two notable mages are Cydaran & Isyio !
Source : Pirate of Fallen Stars, p.125.

EDIT :
If I got it, here is the next one :

What collective name does an evil organization use to appoint several lycanthrope-worshiping tribes found in some different places of Faerûn and guided by both Malar and Shar?

Read you tomorrow and have a good night FR scribes.

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 23 Jun 2008 21:02:44
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  19:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for confirmation Capnvan.

And what would say you latin teacher about my last question Cap'?
Is it grammatically correct ?
Thanks again for helping !

I bring it back :
What collective name does an evil organization use to appoint several lycanthrope-worshiping tribes found in some different places of Faerûn and guided by both Malar and Shar?

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 24 Jun 2008 19:39:48
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  20:38:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

At the risk of sounding like I've mistaken the scroll for a game of Jeopardy: Can it be The Black Blood Cultists? (The querying tone due to the fact that I haven't got my books here to check).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  22:28:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Je parle un peux, mais tres, tres lentement. (And I don't know how to do an accent grave with an American keyboard.)

There are different keyboard shortcuts to do those. In XP, under system tools, there is a character map. Using that, you can either select and copy a special character, or it will tell you the keyboard shortcut to use to create the character without the character map. For example, holding the Alt key and then typing 0251 will give you, when you release the Alt key, this character: û.

Or you can go to the Control Panel, and under Regional and Language Options, change your keyboard input to US-International. Then you just have to get used to it, since some characters are made by combining two others -- which means you sometimes get weird characters when you don't intend to. I get this one, a lot: ç.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  13:11:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you can get a Swedish (Scandinavian?) keyboard - just press the "accent" key, then press the key with the letter you want the accent above, and voila! á à é è í ì î ü and so on

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 25 Jun 2008 13:12:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:00:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic, already in progress.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  15:38:56  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to remind everyone - Kajehase already answered the last question and is waiting for confirmation, I guess?!?

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

At the risk of sounding like I've mistaken the scroll for a game of Jeopardy: Can it be The Black Blood Cultists? (The querying tone due to the fact that I haven't got my books here to check).

Edited by - Ergdusch on 25 Jun 2008 15:40:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000