Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun's Greatest Spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  20:30:26  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would find a way. Hence the spell Melcar's Weave Sphere, which acts a a cunductor/component for the weave itself making it possible to cast any level of spell, if you just use enough Weave spheres In theory that is.!!!

By the way... Where could this spell be found ingame? Where would my mage go to pick up information about sayd spell?

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 29 Apr 2010 20:42:43
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  06:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said, this spell was created by Symrustar Auglamyr, and can only be learned and cast if you're wearign her Choker, which acts as spellbook. Symrustar disappeared during the Fall of Myth Drannor, in the explosion during the Battle of Shadusk Glade which killed Malimshaer. Her Choker was found on the ground after the battle. It was left as an adventure hook - elves could have taken it, it could still be in the ruins of Myth Drannor, etc.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  13:12:50  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh... Yes you did, didn't you! Kind of misses something about that spell.

I'll bow my head in stupid shame!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  04:46:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose they mythallar....as always, partial to things Netherese

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  05:03:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, we know dennis. There's no need to repeat your earlier post.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  05:21:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage,

Oops, my mistake. I clicked the wrong icon. Should have been the garbage can, not the arrow. I deleted it already, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  07:06:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I've done that myself a few times as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  05:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The greatest spell ever to defeat Ao's "Create crystal sphere."!

Ed's "Create Forgotten Realms."!

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  01:17:21  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So true my friend. I have tried something like that myself, but i blew op in my face. Ed must be lvl 100 to cast a lvl 20 spell like that!

My spell was called Nicolai's Create Puny home setting, and it was as I said, an epic fail!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  12:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias
Ed's "Create Forgotten Realms."!

Ok I have to agree here. Nothing beats that one

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  04:58:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think "The Shadowstorm" should be included in the options. True, it was stopped while barely at its peak. But had Rivalen been late in stopping it, it could have turned a considerable part of Faerun to dust.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  17:13:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowstorm is kid stuff.

Szass's dread ring ritual. Had it actually been properly cast then all of Thay, probably all of Faerūn, perhaps all of Toril (or even the entire cosmos) would've been completely erased from existence.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  18:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Galanthar's Gnostic Chains, from "Secrets of the Magister".
GGCs would put the Kai-Bosh-ken on many of the Spellcasters mentioned above.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  01:21:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Shadowstorm is kid stuff.

I don't think so. Look at what happened to Ephyras. Toril would have suffered the same had the Shadowstorm not been stopped.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  01:33:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, you're right dennis, that place was a write-off. I sort of thought of it being the consequence of (Shar's) divine manifestation more than being caused by some clumsy mortal's spell/ritual. I suppose the definition blurs when you consider Szass was planning on expending (some of Bane's) divine power to work his own magic.

I found a little bit of intelligent chatter here about Shadowstorm stuff.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  02:42:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm on the fence between the Sundering and the Draco-Rage spells. Love High Magic, although it does tend to get a wee bit destructive. I noticed, however, that no one mentioned the Descent. I'd actually say that one tops the list. Create an ENTIRE new region of lands UNDER Faerun, AND drew an entire race to it?! (AND altered their form and abilities, to boot.) That takes some definite power. Also, since it was cast by pretty much EVERY elven priest AT THE SAME TIME, I'd say the logistics alone should put it at the top of the list. My only real beef is that it was reversed (well, partially) by only SEVEN mages (and not even High Mages) using a Kirra.....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  02:57:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Ah, yes, you're right dennis, that place was a write-off. I sort of thought of it being the consequence of (Shar's) divine manifestation more than being caused by some clumsy mortal's spell/ritual. I suppose the definition blurs when you consider Szass was planning on expending (some of Bane's) divine power to work his own magic.

I found a little bit of intelligent chatter here about Shadowstorm stuff.

I think they're equally great. They're cast by mortals but needed (or appeared to have needed) some divine power to come to fruition, and they're both for the same first purpose: annihilate the world. Though they very much vary in the second one: Shar wanted to drown everything to oblivion, while Tam wanted to create a new, 'better' world.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  03:00:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry ... I'm not sure I know what the "Descent" was. It involves Lolth? Which books, Alystra?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  03:16:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Descent is the (Divine/High Magic) ritual that was used to change and banish the drow at the end of the Crown Wars. Was mentioned in Evermeet and the reverse was performed in the last book of the Lady Penitant trilogy. Supposedly, it created the fearz'ress effects that opened up the Underdark and "drew" the newly changed drow into it.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  03:28:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Descent did not create the Underdark. Some of the Underdark caverns and tunnels were naturally occuring, and many were created as yet another inadvertent side effect of the Sundering.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  03:45:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. thank you for clearing that up, Wooly. I knew that parts of it already existed, but I've never been totally clear on how the rest came about- too many conflicting vies on that. Decent, or Sundering? Meh, six of one, half-dozen of the other. But The faerz'ress effect was part of it, I know.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  04:26:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a spell, "The Descent" sounds intriguing. Huge and ominous...

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  05:50:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Descent does sound rather exciting. It applies only to Drow on Toril or also on Abier and other worlds?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  06:07:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to have been a pan-world effect, meaning that it affected the "dark elves" of ALL worlds- at least according to the lore from my brands-spanking-new, right out of the package copy of Complete Book of Elves (2nd ed book). Well, not "new", but it's in almost new condition, and So, Correllon and company seem to have just done an across the board ban on all dark elves from the surface of all worlds where elves live.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  00:17:23  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hmmm. Well said, Erik!
Eol, you missed all the really big spells (the terraforming and "racial creation from scratch" ones). Not to mention the planetary steering spell.
love,
THO

Woah, when did that last one happen?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  00:32:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in the old days. Creator races, Nether Scrolls, that sorta stuff. I'm not sure if creation myth genesis should properly be called a "spell".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  01:19:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kinda torn between Imaskar Wards and Netheril's Mythallars. Both are the first and only in history. While I am always partial to everything Netherese, I must admit the godswall is really incredible. I think the Netherese archwizards could have raised the same had they had the need for it. However, the fact that they didn't (which maybe means they couldn't) and that the Imaskari did, says a lot.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:28:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread makes me now re-think Karsus' spell - it was actually very much like what Doctor Doom did when he stole Galactus' power in Secret Wars (basically, he diverted the energy Galactus receives from his ship into himself).

Ergo, Karsus did not kill Mystryl (it even says she sacrificed herself) - what he did was turn her into a power-terminal. Like plugging an extension cord into another extension cord (and by sacrificing herself, she severed the connection she had to the True source, rendering Karsus' patch-job inert.)

Its like what happens when you plug a string of Christmas lights into another string of Christmas lights - if the fuse in the first set goes, everything past that in the circuit also stops receiving power.

All he really did was divert the power flowing into her into himself. That was like plugging a cellphone into a 440 power outlet (and yes, they have those - they are used in commercial applications). No wonder he 'fried'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Dec 2010 03:30:35
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:33:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting theory, MT. Though, I'd like to think he did succeed in absorbing her divinity. After all, he deserved at least that.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:33:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Karsus zorched out like a blown fuse then why did Mystryl stagger, the Weave fail, and all of Netheril fall down?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000