Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun's Greatest Spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  00:21:10  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A spell may not have created Undermountain, in particular, but there was a spell that created the underdark, and draws dark elves to it. Although that may have been part of Dark Disaster.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  00:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

A spell may not have created Undermountain, in particular, but there was a spell that created the underdark, and draws dark elves to it. Although that may have been part of Dark Disaster.

I'm pretty sure what you are describing is a recently introduced retcon (found in the second book of the Lady Penitent trilogy).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  00:50:16  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are correct.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Elestar
Acolyte

Hungary
27 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  20:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Elestar's Homepage Send Elestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose the Imaskari Wards. Banning gods from a crystal sphere is quite remarkable.

The Sundering, Uaul'Selu'Keryth is second to me, because even if the spell might be successful, the consequences are catastrophic, and it is not just blowing up a planet, but an ultimate Uaul torns even the Weawe asunder. It is a mighty ritual for sure, but not too wise.

Mythallars are really impressive, just as flying cities are, but those damn quasimagical mechanisms make your cerebral glands aching... ouch

The Draco-Rage Mythal was a smart spell.

The disastrous killing storm of the Mormhaor'Sykerylor was not.

Player characers' descriptions
are liked in my Profile

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
#8194;H o u s e #8194; E l e s t a r#8195;
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Edited by - Elestar on 19 Jul 2008 20:40:35
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  01:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All are good. But Magic Missile is. It allowed users to gain power by using it on goblins.

But other then that, Karsus Avatar was the greatest. Just because he realized he couldn't control the power of a god, does mean it was a failure. He still became one. Stealing the magic powers of a god of magic, through magic. Now that's a spell.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  18:22:08  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus Avatar, for the aforementioned reasons
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2010 :  20:03:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

All are good. But Magic Missile is. It allowed users to gain power by using it on goblins.

But other then that, Karsus Avatar was the greatest. Just because he realized he couldn't control the power of a god, does mean it was a failure. He still became one. Stealing the magic powers of a god of magic, through magic. Now that's a spell.

True. It was not really a failure.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  16:57:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm coming back in here and also saying Karsus' Avatar was the greatest and was not a failure. It did what it was supposed to. He merely chose the wrong target is all.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  17:03:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I'm coming back in here and also saying Karsus' Avatar was the greatest and was not a failure. It did what it was supposed to. He merely chose the wrong target is all.

The Momentary God... and all that!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  17:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He should have targeted Amaunator. Now that was a weakling god compared to Mystryl. Then as a deity he could have gotten used to the power and then maybe go after Mystryl.

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  19:17:24  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sundering

Dawn Cataclysm
Time of Troubles
Spellplague

The gods... it's so common

But change the continents... just the once

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  01:35:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He should have targeted Amaunator. Now that was a weakling god compared to Mystryl. Then as a deity he could have gotten used to the power and then maybe go after Mystryl.

I disagree. I seem to recall a few sources suggesting that Karsus realised that his mistake was, basically, targeting a god.

Granted, targeting a god other than Mystryl probably wouldn't have had the same disastrous and/or immediate impact upon the Realms. But at the same time, I don't believe Karsus would've just stopped with Amaunator. And even with the power of a deity... taking out Mystryl still would've been a reckless move. As the death of Mystra 2.0 [at the hands of another god] demonstrates just before the Spellplague.

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Apr 2010 01:36:33
Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  02:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

My vote goes to the Imaskar! Change the continent, or affect a race is one thing... now, block the gods! These old imaskars have some cards in the sleeve, really. ^^

Agreed. One does not kick gods out of game on every Monday eve. To do anything even remotely close to that one should poses something much more convincing than courage.

Tren
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  14:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I disagree. I seem to recall a few sources suggesting that Karsus realised that his mistake was, basically, targeting a god.

Granted, targeting a god other than Mystryl probably wouldn't have had the same disastrous and/or immediate impact upon the Realms. But at the same time, I don't believe Karsus would've just stopped with Amaunator. And even with the power of a deity... taking out Mystryl still would've been a reckless move. As the death of Mystra 2.0 [at the hands of another god] demonstrates just before the Spellplague.

So technically, the spellplague could have coincided with the Fall of Netheril had Mystryl not come back as Mystra.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  14:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But could it be that he could only target Mystryl? Maybe her potfolio somehow was the base of his spell?

I don't know the details, but the spell that can protect from even Ao?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 27 Apr 2010 14:50:32
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  14:56:40  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The end of Dangerous games says the following:
quote:

By then, the enclave had tipped almost vertically. Karsus, once a god, now a red stone
statue, tipped far into space and plummeted, and his loving, ill-fated cousin fell after.
For an instant, Karsus understood what had happened, how Mystryl had sacrificed herself
for the common good of god and man, an unselfish sacrifice he never could have conceived
of. And how his loving cousin had sacrificed herself believing in him, as the empire had
believed in him.
And how he'd betrayed them all.
With this last, godlike insight, Karsus's selfish heart broke

But I agree with you that targeting other gods would probally have simmilar destructive effects.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  15:00:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

So technically, the spellplague could have coincided with the Fall of Netheril had Mystryl not come back as Mystra.

If Mystryl hadn't reincarnated herself and restored the Weave, I suppose an early derivative of a Spellplague-type event could've rocked the Realms during the Fall of Netheril. But the actual Spellplague was born from the unique circumstances surrounding the death of Mystra 2.0, and the inability of the Chosen to help reconstruct the Weave.

Besides, we've already been witness to a, very brief, Spellplague-like event -- after Mystryl's demise. The Weave unravelled everywhere... just as it did during the actual 1385 DR Spellplague.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  15:16:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Kinda on-topic, but a bit off as well)

What about the spell* the elven High Mages cast creating Evermeet? Permanently linking the Feywild to the Realms (and warping/distorting the Weave to do so) is pretty high up there.

The off-topic part is a question I have that, since Evermeet was so connected to the Weave, why didn't it disconnect from the Realms when Mystra was murdered?

*Heh... missed this on the first go around.
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

Sundering <snip>

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 27 Apr 2010 15:24:20
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  15:21:18  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Although the Wayward and the Imaskari option are on my top list, I have to give a +1 to Karsus' most fanatic minion, Alisttair, here in the Keep.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  15:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The SageIf Mystryl hadn't reincarnated herself and restored the Weave, I suppose an early derivative of a Spellplague-type event could've rocked the Realms during the Fall of Netheril. But the actual Spellplague was born from the unique circumstances surrounding the death of Mystra 2.0, and the inability of the Chosen to help reconstruct the Weave.

Besides, we've already been witness to a, very brief, Spellplague-like event -- after Mystryl's demise. The Weave unravelled everywhere... just as it did during the actual 1385 DR Spellplague.

That reminds me. Mystra had her Chosen as a way to protect the Weave, giving parts of herself to mortals. In doing so, she basically foresaw her demise (again). A hypothesis that just came to me is that, even though they say there is no longer a weave and thus magic simply works differently, perhaps in actuality, the weave is simply different as it has been re-threaded by the essence of the Chosen, and the remaining few keep it intact (and so it is simply not made of the same powerful divine strands, but weaker ones). Could be something worked into a campaign plot, doubt that is what WotC is actually planning (unlike the reincarnation of Karsus plot )

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  15:35:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Although the Wayward and the Imaskari option are on my top list, I have to give a +1 to Karsus' most fanatic minion, Alisttair, here in the Keep.

Thanks for the kind words skychrome. I merely wish to serve the almighty Karsus before his eventual rise to greatness in hopes that he rewards me for believing unlike all the peasants who will either bow on the day of reckoning, or perish before his might

Edited by - Alisttair on 27 Apr 2010 15:36:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  16:11:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The off-topic part is a question I have that, since Evermeet was so connected to the Weave, why didn't it disconnect from the Realms when Mystra was murdered?
I think it did. As I recall, Evermeet now resides in the Feywild... with a slight temporal echo of the Green Isle now sitting where Evermeet used to be.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  16:21:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That reminds me. Mystra had her Chosen as a way to protect the Weave, giving parts of herself to mortals. In doing so, she basically foresaw her demise (again). A hypothesis that just came to me is that, even though they say there is no longer a weave and thus magic simply works differently, perhaps in actuality, the weave is simply different as it has been re-threaded by the essence of the Chosen, and the remaining few keep it intact (and so it is simply not made of the same powerful divine strands, but weaker ones). Could be something worked into a campaign plot, doubt that is what WotC is actually planning (unlike the reincarnation of Karsus plot )

Well, as we saw in the "Shadow of the Avatar" books and elsewhere, Mystra's Chosen retained part of her divine power, which was the 'silver fire' [see e.g. The Seven Sisters pg. 6], upon her death, so that Mystra/the Weave could be reconstructed. To restore the Weave, even in an altered form, probably would've meant the restoration of Mystra as well.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  16:30:49  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for the kind words skychrome. I merely wish to serve the almighty Karsus before his eventual rise to greatness in hopes that he rewards me for believing unlike all the peasants who will either bow on the day of reckoning, or perish before his might

Rightfully so, as true devotion is rewarded by the mighty, as has been proven by Malik el Sami yn Nasser.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  17:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Symrustar's Spellbinding. Think about it. Anything cast at the caster who cast Symrustar's Spellbinding wouldn't affect it, and the caster could actually learn the spell. If we consider all of the following: Waymeet, Dragon Rage Mythal, Imaskar wards, Sundering, Dark Disaster and Mythallar as area of efffect spells, a caster who can cast Symrustar's Spellbinding will be able to learn all of these, and not be affected by them. Heck, if you claim Karsus's Avatar was a spell that targeted a certain someone, if it targeted the caster of Symrustar's Spellbinding, you could learn that too. You'd have all the greatest spells in Faerun.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  18:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Rightfully so, as true devotion is rewarded by the mighty, as has been proven by Malik el Sami yn Nasser.

I have been anointed the title "Seraph of Spells".

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2010 :  19:55:08  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the spell that makes me lvl 10, 11, 12 or what ever lvl spell possible again at the end just before the spellplague???
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  12:11:35  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Symrustar's Spellbinding. Think about it. Anything cast at the caster who cast Symrustar's Spellbinding wouldn't affect it, and the caster could actually learn the spell. If we consider all of the following: Waymeet, Dragon Rage Mythal, Imaskar wards, Sundering, Dark Disaster and Mythallar as area of efffect spells, a caster who can cast Symrustar's Spellbinding will be able to learn all of these, and not be affected by them. Heck, if you claim Karsus's Avatar was a spell that targeted a certain someone, if it targeted the caster of Symrustar's Spellbinding, you could learn that too. You'd have all the greatest spells in Faerun.

Does not that spell have a limit of level? I do not believe that this spell can make you know the 15 level spells.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2010 :  21:50:03  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Where and how and Why does my wizard not have this spell. Where can it be found????
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  20:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a spell created by Symrustar Auglamyr, mentioned in The Fall of Myth Drannor, which is available for download from the Wizards website. It oculd only be cast if you were wearing Symrustar's Choker, which acts as a personal spellbook.
Sill, reagrding your question, I quote: "The magic also can only affect and deconstruct up to the caster's level in spell levels."
Of ocurse, there's really no point in learning a 15th level spell if you can't cast it.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 29 Apr 2010 20:25:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000