Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Have You Noticed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  03:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Have you noticed since the great Drizzt series almost every writer is on a drow book? Please tell me your opinions on this....

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  04:29:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The great flood of Drow material will end when readers cease to buy the numerous books and campaign materials devoted to the dark elves. Until then, watch for the year of the Drow in FR to last several years for us.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  19:32:14  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For whatever reason (probably R.A. Salvatore), Drow are "cool" in the estimation of many.

I am not among them, despite that I like Salvatore's novels.

They (WotC, etc.) are gonna milk it for all the money they can before the craze dies. At this point there are people who will buy anything that says "Drow" on it. Prepare yourselves form some really sh***y Drow-related stuff as they start turning the crank handles at warp speed.

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  20:26:40  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I happen to be one of the many that think Drow are cool, but they do seem to be the 'race du jour' these days. I haven't picked up a novel or supplement that has been worthless (yet). WotC will surely milk this craze for all it's worth, but hopefully, the quality will remain strong. I really hope that Bran is wrong in his prediction. But seeing as WotC has proven him right so many times in the past with other crappy releases, my hopes may be high, but reality will probably bring them crashing down again.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  20:43:21  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yas, I didn't mean to imply that I think everyone who likes Drow are mindless zombies of the marketing machine. I like Drow, in good material. That seems to be what you imply as well.

I'm not going to like something for no other reason than "It's Drow". Sort of like Marvel comics making all kinds of things mutants to try to catch some of the X-Men star power. Slapping "mutant" on a superhero doesn't autmatically make him or her interesting, and slapping "Drow" on a product doesn't automatically make it worth buying, in my opinion. I know others disagree, and all I can say is I'm glad they're not spending my money.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 13 Jun 2003 16:18:11
Go to Top of Page

Mikayla
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  21:35:01  Show Profile  Visit Mikayla's Homepage Send Mikayla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am definitely one of the Drow fanatics mentioned above, and I have been since I was in grade school and I first saw a picture of a black-skinned elf in the back of the Module G-3. Once I learned that the women ruled the drow, I was hooked! Girls had a place in D&D - even if it was as the villains, at least they were among the coolest villains.

Soooo, over the years, I have read all the drow-related books and used/read/played all the drow related game materials. I know, its an obsession and I need therapy - c'est la vie. As for the recent explosion of drow stuff, well, yes, the power of the dollar is amazing. I fear for what WotC/Hasbro is doing to/with the drow in the WotSQ series, but I suppose we shall cross that bridge when we get there.

ciao!
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  02:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps they will make a new race of something. Then the craze will start all over again. But personaly i like the old Salvatore novels...

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  17:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally i cannot see the overwhelming intrest in drizzt. I really like drow, but i prefere Vampires, and the Undead. The Drow are villianous but there is something terrifying about intelligant living-dead. Of Salvatore's novels i prefere those that make up the Dark Elf Trilogy. The harsh world of the drow has a certian lure to DMs and i might even think of setting a Campaign there but mainly because i bought the Menzoberran Boxset about 3 years ago and still havent used it!
Hopefully this craze will soo finish and we can return to Product detailing the upper realms. How about a nice book of Political Unrest above ground?
Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  17:42:30  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If all most drow ever do is plot "intrigue" and kill off the others, how does anything new ever get built? Stale material if you ask me. Now, give me some ingenuitive growth like the dwarves are supposed to be going through as a race, and you can come up with tons of interesting stories.

And no, I'm not reading WofSQ yet. I'm trying to wait until I have them all to start, but that doesn't always work out so well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  15:23:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I happen to agree...to an extent with this sroll. While I enjoy all this work on Drow, it does seem to be proliferating at an exponential rate, and I feel that perhaps other, just as equally important races are simply being ignored.

I for one still stand by my original statement. I believe that the time is ripe for a new series based on the lesser-used races of the Realms, like the Dwarves, or even Gnomes. Rare has there been a time with a Realms series dedicated to races other than Elves and/or Drow.

A little balance in racial tales is what is needed.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  16:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well . . . maybe we should consider that the 'Year of the Drow' was planned this way. They had a lot of drow material and figured "Hey, let's make it a year-long theme!"

Now, don't assume I agree with that; as a story-teller-for-fun-not-profit, I think that things are best in a more drawn-out presentation, to prolong the good parts as much as possible. But maybe they thought otherwise.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  12:47:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a year based on every character race in D&D is what is required then, to break the cycle of Elven/Drow gaming features.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  00:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since the Retreat is supposed to be over -- how about a Year of the Elf's Return? I can't think of any other race-like names right now, at least none that work out right. There has to be some theme besides the race, stated or implied. "Year of the Drow" works nice, because most Faerunians don't interact with them. But Year of the Humans? Year of the Halflings? What about 'em? The elven one's the only thing really easy -- culture clashes as the elves start moving back in or something . . . .

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  08:36:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could have 'Year of the Dwarves', a major action to retake several of their old citadels and fortresses from Orc and Goblinoid control, generating a resurgence in the amount of Dwarven activity in the Realms, especially from the south (the Great Rift).

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  08:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that could be workable. Especially with all the Thunder Children who're coming of age . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  08:42:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe even a 'Year of the Wyrm' (not you Bookwyrm ). A major increase in Dragon and Wyrmling activity across the Realms. There hasn't been a flight of wyrms threatening populated areas in some time, the kind of flight which lead to the death, originally, of Sylune of Shadowdale.

Or maybe, something related to that 300-year cycle all Dragonkind is supposed to be affected by, the Rage of Dragons, I think it was called.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  17:16:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well we are coming up to the Year or Risen Elfkin so perhaps that will shift the spotlight from the drow to the elves.

Of course, elfkin brings about all sorts of possibilities. Although nothing has been confirmed, Rich Baker's future trilogy "The Last Mythal," might focus on this year.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2003 :  05:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I didn't know that they had published year names in advance. With a name like that, I guess they must have already thought of it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2003 :  07:52:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, several sourcebooks in 2e FR had listings of the past Years, as well as listing about twenty of so Years into the future. Of course this was back in 1367DR, so...

Go to Top of Page

Erevis Cale
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  05:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Erevis Cale's Homepage Send Erevis Cale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason, the drow books never appealed to me and while I want to read them as they are part of the history of Faerun, I dont really look forward to it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  13:18:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am curious. Is there some specific reason why these books do not appeal to you?.

Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  18:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erevis Cale

For some reason, the drow books never appealed to me and while I want to read them as they are part of the history of Faerun, I dont really look forward to it.

Some of them are great books. The drow are full of puzzels and decipition which is a very interesting trait. And The books are not all about drow, just look at the Starlight& Shadows trilogy. Why don't you try one drow book , and if you don't like it don't read another one......

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  19:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong I love the Drow books. The Icewind Dale Trilogy was the first Realms books I read. but, I think the reason for so many Drow books come down to 2 things. #1 Books sales, The Salvator books are some of the best selling books they have out. #2 It gives the writers a whole new demention of writing. You have a whole new enviroment when you are in the Underdark. Also, If you are going to write about an evil Charecters like in the War of the Spider Queen books the trail has already been blazed.

One other thing I don't think there are a lot of Drow books outside of Salvator. There are 9 (with three not even out yet) out of 166 (with 12 not released yet).

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  21:01:44  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as another 'Have You noticed'...
Have you noticed how a lot of the novels, especially recently, have those near romeo+juliet tragedies things... that the main characters (often a couple... or a few couples or a group) defeat all odds and such... only to have most of the group, or one-half of the new budding relationship, die at the end...?

I know there are a lot of the FR novels that have ended in such a way... the the story builds up the pair (or group) only to end up breaking it apart and make it a sad ending and all... to me it gets tiring... i even sent and E-mail to Elaine Cunningham (partially) about an ending to a certain novel (which i don't plan to name... as it might be considered spoilers base on this post) and about certain characters that survived and if she had any plans on continuing with what members survived...
She seemed to agree that many of the novels have this kind of sad ending...

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  15:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

as another 'Have You noticed'...
Have you noticed how a lot of the novels, especially recently, have those near romeo+juliet tragedies things... that the main characters (often a couple... or a few couples or a group) defeat all odds and such... only to have most of the group, or one-half of the new budding relationship, die at the end...?

I know there are a lot of the FR novels that have ended in such a way... the the story builds up the pair (or group) only to end up breaking it apart and make it a sad ending and all... to me it gets tiring... i even sent and E-mail to Elaine Cunningham (partially) about an ending to a certain novel (which i don't plan to name... as it might be considered spoilers base on this post) and about certain characters that survived and if she had any plans on continuing with what members survived...
She seemed to agree that many of the novels have this kind of sad ending...

I defiantly agree that the situation happens all too often.

With that in mind, I do feel that in the Novel in which you speak, it needed to happen if other characters are to be expanded upon in any future books. I think with without it happening the character development of other characters would be hindered.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  18:24:59  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ageed. WotC makes a big show in their writer's guidelines about not using hackneyed old plots. Apparently "star-crossed lovers" hasn't quite reached the same level of triteness as "farmboy finds magic sword, learns he is son of powerful wizard, reluctantly becomes mighty hero, saves world".

The Drizzt/Cattie Brie non-romance is my least favorite ascpect of the "Drizzt" books. The "Cadderly" books lack that limp thread, one reason they are better.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 12 Jul 2003 06:49:04
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  19:39:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. I'm too much of a romantic to like any sort of "detergent drama" love story. Of course, I do want a bit of the jouney in there, but I want them to get there! Like you said, the Cadderly story was a good one for that. Unobtrusive, didn't get in the way of the story, and actually complemented it.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  00:44:24  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Same here. I'm too much of a romantic to like any sort of "detergent drama" love story. Of course, I do want a bit of the jouney in there, but I want them to get there! Like you said, the Cadderly story was a good one for that. Unobtrusive, didn't get in the way of the story, and actually complemented it.

This is terrible for me to say as I am dating someone now, but I USED to like when the lovers finished the journey for I USED to be a romantic. Then Reality swept in, and my romance went the way of the BLACKGUARD. Of course Kim would tell you I am a romantic, I tell her I am not and she thinks I am lying to myself, but I think that part of me left a long time ago. Now I think it is more realistic when they DO NOT get there. Not that I necessarily like it more... But it always seemed fake to me that the romances always worked. Read Harlequin books for that.

I was going to make a tasteless joke about the two characters from the book you are speaking of but I am not going to. It is below even me

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  02:55:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with you on this Mournblade. The imagery of all romantics in novels "living happily-ever-after" is sometimes very unrealistic. The considerable time and effort that one puts into a relationship as portrayed in the books at times is made more realistic by the fact, that those same affections may be rejected, or in some cases even misplaced.

I have noted several of these examples from the books you mentioned.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Jul 2003 02:56:42
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  04:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... I know the living happily ever after thing would get old too... but as of late i've read a lot of the FR novels that two people get together during the course of one (or more novels) only to have one die, disappear, or whatever... it just kinda gets old too :P let's see... tho my memory sucks terribly... i can list some of the ones that i can recall...

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*
Okay...
Death of a Dragon (Third of Cormyr)
Faces of Deception (second of Lost Empires)
Windwalker (third of Starlight and Shadows)
The Druid Queen (third of Druidhome trilogy)
Lord of Tormweather (Finale of Sembia series)

bleh... now i can't remember the others.. but i know there were several others i had thought of... but now drawing a blank... ah well

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  05:17:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zacas, I think you meant Lord of Stormweather .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000