Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Blade Elves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  22:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While RPing over at The Kindred Skulls, I came across a different type of Drow elf, called Blade elves. the person who was playing him was kind enough to provide me with the info regarding these new(?) type of elves, so I thought I'd pass it on along to all you wonderful scribes here.

I think they're a pretty cool race to add to the existing ones, albeit a fairly powerful one.

Blade Elves

History

Long ago during the fourth Crown War between the elves of Toril, the corrupt Ilythiiri committed a crime so horrendous, that if the other elven nations had discovered it they would have banded together to utterly destroy them. The crime that the Ilythiiri committed was trading other elves to tanar'ri in exchange for their aid in the destruction of Shantal Ortheier. The unfortunate elves so traded were mostly good-aligned pre-Drow Ssri-Tel'Quessir who had refused to convert to worshipping the evil gods of the Ilythiiri, remaining devoutly faithful to their beloved Lady Silverhair (Eilistraee).
Taken by their tanar'ri master's to the Abyss, the unfortunate elves suffered horribly over the course of the next thousand years of enslavement to the tanar'ri. After nearly a millennia of toiling as slaves in the depths of the Abyss, the ancestors of the blade elves, led by priestesses of Eilistraee and aided by celestial allies, rebelled against the tanar'ri and managed to escape through a gate to the upper planes.
After arriving upon the upper planes, the survivors dedicated themselves to opposing the plots and schemes of their former master's. With the aid of celestial beings, the blade elves began to combat the tanar'ri throughout the planes in general and upon the worlds of the prime material plane in particular. Hundreds of generations of conflict with the denizens of the lower planes, along with close contact with the celestial races have forever changed the blade elves. The blade elves have evolved into a race of elven/aasimar/tiefling's which breed true among themselves and with elven mates.
Today the blade elves are a fierce and fearless race of noble warriors dedicated to furthering the ethos and worship of their beloved Lady Silverhair. Found throughout the planes, blade elves seem drawn to those prime material worlds which suffer from fiendish transgressions, such as the region surrounding Hellgate Keep on Toril and the world of Oerth. Their fiercest hatreds however are reserved for the tanar'ri and any others who traffic in slaves.
The fiercely independent and self-reliant, freedom loving blade elves seem cursed with both curiosity and wanderlust. The blade elves love nothing more than exploring new worlds and can be found traveling among the stars as spelljammers, as well as throughout the planes. Blade elves seem to relish and delight in combat and warfare against evil beings, regardless of their race or religion, and are seemingly drawn to areas afflicted with open warfare between goodly folk and the forces of evil. The battle cry of the blade elven race sums their feelings up quite nicely: "For the Good of All Goodly Folk".
Closely related to modern Drow in that they are also descended from the same pre-Drow sub-race blade elves share their Drow cousins dark appearance. With jet-black skin, gleaming silver hair, feline shaped silver eyes and silver toe and finger-nails blade elves are often mistaken as Drow by others. As a result of their fiendish blood, blade elves have sharply pointed teeth, retractable claws on their hands and feet, and never cast shadows in any sort of light. Blade elven females stand between 5'4" and 5'8" while males stand between 5'6" and 6' tall with males tending to be heavier and stronger than females. Both sexes are lithe and graceful with the catlike reflexes of trained dancers. Childhood for blade elves is much like that of other elves in that they began their lessons in sword craft and archery at an early age, along with lessons in history, arts, languages, and knowledge of the various planes and their inhabitants. Blade elves reach maturity (adulthood) at a much quicker pace than other elven races, however once they reach adulthood they age at a much slower pace and life longer than most other elves.

Blade Elven Abilities

Blade elven vision: Blade elves have 180' range darkvision and 90' range true sight (as the divine spell).Their normal vision acts as detect magic with a range of 90'. Blade elves can see twice as far as humans in both low-light and normal conditions.
Blade elven immunities: Blade elves have complete immunity to all forms of disease, poison, paralysis, petrification, and mind affecting spells and effects.
Resistance: Acid, electricity, fire and cold resistance of 15
Sword Proficiencies: Proficient with all simple, martial and exotic swords, daggers and knives, regardless of character class.
Spider Climb (Ex): The blade elf can climb as though using the spider climb spell.
Magic Circle against Evil (Su): This ability continuously duplicates the effects of the spell. The blade elf cannot suppress this ability.
Natural weapons: Blade elves have retractable claws upon their hands and feet, when used these deal 1d6 points of damage each.
Racial weakness: Blade elves suffer 1d6 points of damage per vial or splash from unholy water. Blade elves can also be turned (but not destroyed) by evil clerics. Blade elves cannot be raised by a Raise Dead spell although the more powerful Resurrection spells do work.
Skill bonus: +4 racial bonus to Hide, Move Silently, Search, Spot and Listen checks.
Special search: Blade elves that merely pass within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door are entitled to a Search check as though actively looking for it.
Speed: 50 feet
Natural AC bonus: Blade elves receive a +5 racial bonus to AC.
Eilistraee's Moonfire: Blade elves can cast Eilistraee's Moonfire, at will, once per day per level.
Ability adjustments: +2 to Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. -2 to Constitution and Strength.
Favored class: Sorcerer for males, Cleric for females.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  23:10:59  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, cool but pretty powerful. Is this a race this other person made up, or did he get it from somewhere else?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  23:23:42  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, very powerful. They'd be like +4 levels (I'm just taking a wild stab here).
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  00:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like this subrace of elves. I might ask my DM if I could be one but I know there will be a level adjustment but I don't care. Thias eleves are awesome!

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  05:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say that it's got to be at least a +3 ECL. But I must say, this would make an interesting character to role-play. By the way, aside from the ECL adjustment, there was another thing that you (or the guy who gave this to you, if it's a direct copy) forgot to mention. The alignment of this character has to be 'Any good' -- I don't see this race as being even a neutral. It just doesn't seem to be in their culture.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  10:33:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are certainly very interesting. They also represent a lot of potential in terms of game play as well as exotic storytelling for campaigns. I think I may just use these in my joint PS/FR campaign. A part of the campaign consists of a crucial battle of the continuing Blood War being fought in Faerun.

Actually this planar connection the Blade Elves have suggests another interesting alternative. Since it was mentioned that the Blade Elves were held in Tanar'ri imprisonment as slaves, this would definitely suggest that a lot of able-bodied Elves were forced into battle to fight alongside the Demonlords armies against the Baatezu. I can imagine a picture of these Elves standing side by side with various Yugoloths, preparing to charge into Baatezu held lands. And the good thing about it is that it is possible that it could happen, since Tanar'ri are not to picky about who they force into their armies, just so long as they fight.

The only problem I have with the whole history of the Elves, is the facts of their escape. In all the Planescape lore and history, never would any number of Priestesses be able to free an entire enslaved race from the Tanar'ri on their own home plane, with just Celestial allies. It could only take the might of a power itself to make this work, and then, that would be considerably difficult due to Powers not having as much strength in opposite aligned realms and planes than they do on their own plane.

Still I suppose a really imaginative DM could fill the loopholes there. Oh, well, they are great and I like them, but I will have to change a few things before I will use them in my campaign. To fit more in line with my PS-dominated cosmology.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  10:39:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also on the terms of ECL, either +3 or +4 would be about what they should be, taking into account the racial benefits and the factors of mixed bloodlines - elven, aasimar and tiefling.

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  19:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

I agree, cool but pretty powerful. Is this a race this other person made up, or did he get it from somewhere else?

I believe he got it from an online friend of his who made them up himself.

I had gone over the email he sent me with this and a couple other elven subraces, and he said that because of the inherent power of the race, his GM made the call that every member of the race didn't have all the listed abilities, that whenever one was created, they would roll randomly to see what abilities they would have. Seems to be a good way to balance out the race.

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
The alignment of this character has to be 'Any good' -- I don't see this race as being even a neutral. It just doesn't seem to be in their culture.

Well, when you have a battle cry of "For the Good of All Goodly Folk", I think that it's implied that your race is going to be good aligned. But your right, though. It should have been included for clarity.

BTW - what exactly is ECL? I take it that it refers to a level bonus of some kind?
I have to admit that I'm 3E challenged.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  20:33:26  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"ECL" stands for "effective character level". A 1st level character with +3 ECL needs as many XP to go to 2nd level as a normal 4th level character needs to go to 5th.

I don't think it's a very good way to do it. It's a big deal at low levels to have to overcome the effective XP penalty, and at high levels it's pretty much negligible. The difference in power between a (true) 4th level character and a 1st level with +3 ECL is pretty great, in my opinion (hit points tell the tale). The difference between 13 and 10+(3ECL) is hardly anything. I don't have a better suggestion, though.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 11 Jun 2003 22:34:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  06:33:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not to happy with the way ECL works at lower levels either. I have been working on an alternative system however, something that I wanted to use for the Gnome racial traits I recently posted. But the format was not right at the time.

I should have it ready by the end of the week. branmakmuffin, if your interested in looking over it, I'll email it to you.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jun 2003 06:34:43
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  06:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to take a look at it too, Sage. As I suggested in your Gnome topic, I've been thinking about alternatives.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  06:54:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, I'll post it to you as well, when it is done. I'd post it here, but a friend of mine co-developed it with me, and I don't have his permission to post. Emailing though is fine, according to him .

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  23:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I am not to happy with the way ECL works at lower levels either. I have been working on an alternative system however, something that I wanted to use for the Gnome racial traits I recently posted. But the format was not right at the time.

I should have it ready by the end of the week. branmakmuffin, if your interested in looking over it, I'll email it to you.

Good learning...

Sorry for dragging this old scroll up, but may I please have a copy of this work as well Sage?

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  07:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
letting a player choose an ecl =3 race while the rest of the party is first level is like letting a character take three free levels at character creation(Blaymore is a highly trained fighter, look at his bio! hew was leader of the king's guard, he should at least be a level 4 fighter...)

A much better way to do it is keep the ECL, but break the race into the equivelant of four levels. At first level a character of that race gets some basic bonii of it, about equivelant to a standard race. At second level, they can take another character level, or get access to another level's worth of abilities. That keeps the character at the same power level as the rest of the group, but stil lallows them to gain access to really nifty abilities like this.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  08:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, what do you think of the balancing method used in the Player's Guide to Faerun?

Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  12:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truth be told, I am not familiar with it, I have not read the last few books released for the realms, and indeed, the game in general.

Shoot, I haven't even had the time to read them in the store.

With breaking down the ECL of a race, I try to keep it balanced so as to be useful if thelevels are taken at lower levels, as wel las at higher levels. I was very pleased with the progression of the Lich on the wizards site, and have used it several times with success.

I find that rules for breaking down a powerful race can often break down quickly, and had to almsot completely free hand my breakdown of the Solar into a class, and the rules in Savage Species were not too much help.

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  20:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way it works is that, for instance, a tiefling starts off with a class level and a negative level. Once he or she reaches 1,000 XP, that negative level goes away. Once the character has enough XP for level three, he or she can take the next class level.

Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  00:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, while I can see the benefits of that,it does seem like it would be far less useful to races with a level adjustment of more than +1.

I preffer my wway of turning high powered races into almsot small classes in and of themselves. The only problems I have met is the lagging behind of HP and attack bonii and so forth, however that is usually more to do with a player going for all of the "race" levels first, not trying to balance some class levels in there as well.

ALl told, powerful races are just plain better used in campaigns wherein the characters all start at higher levels.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000