Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dark irony: the enemy is us (Wooly's rant)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  01:51:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that the anger flares up when someone posts and tells us what we should think about the changes.
And Yes I have read more than enough to know that I do not like the changes.
I have stated my opinion that I hate the enormity of the changes.
I also hate the lack of logic and reasoning behind them.
But, I have never, ever told someone else that they should not like them. Or that they should like them.Or that they have not read enough to have valid opinion.Or that they are being alarmists.

Most everyone here is being genuine with their feelings do feel that strongly against and some for.

Seems like tempers flare when people call out others feelings and call them names trying to label them, thereby attempt to discredit their opposition to the changes. It feels like those few have an agenda and go out of their way to fan the flames.

I think we would have a much better discussion if the labeling, calling out individual opinions and lobbying for or against would stop and we just give our take on it. I know my scrolls are not meant as a personal affront to anyone or any "side" to this issue. They are just my thoughts.

Simply put, Lets debate the changes and their effects not each others feelings. We all have the right to feel how we do about this without being told how we should feel about them. If this continues to happen then this discussion belongs in Zhentil Keep not Candlekeep.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  02:48:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said. <bow>

Now is a time for Solidarity, not Disparity.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Jan 2008 02:51:08
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  03:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
If this continues to happen then this discussion belongs in Zhentil Keep not Candlekeep.

Hasn't Mace already initiated the Spellplaguedeath in the Keep?

I'm just waiting for the pre-Spellplagueanishad to be read out to the faithful!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  15:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Simply put, Lets debate the changes and their effects not each others feelings. We all have the right to feel how we do about this without being told how we should feel about them. If this continues to happen then this discussion belongs in Zhentil Keep not Candlekeep.

Heh, well said.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Jan 2008 15:31:47
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  17:22:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Heh, well said.

Exactly what I was saying the other day when I posted it in the 4e FR thread but people took offense about it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  17:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus

quote:
If this continues to happen then this discussion belongs in Zhentil Keep not Candlekeep.

Hasn't Mace already initiated the Spellplaguedeath in the Keep?

I'm just waiting for the pre-Spellplagueanishad to be read out to the faithful!

Working on that one

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  18:55:25  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards needs the MONEY my friends ...that's all!!!
where are all the great game designers of tsr???where is monte cook??where is margaret weiss??
old wonderful days!!!
I'm very disappointed!!!
but i will wait the release of 4th edition and then i will make my final judge!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  19:33:09  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

where are all the great game designers of tsr???

Not working for Wizards, that's for sure.

quote:
where is monte cook??

Well he was doing his own stuff, the he found out about 4E and decided to retire.

quote:
where is margaret weiss??

She rewrites Dragonlance novels and I hear has started her own rpg publishing company.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  19:38:59  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly while I respect you I can't agree with you. Waterdeep is cool and all, but I can copy it and put it in my own setting. Same for Silverymoon. Same for Cormyr.

One of the things that has always appealed to me are the characters. The core group of gods, the chosen, all of ed's secondary cast of characters, and many much more. My favorite god is dead, most of the chosen will likely be dead too.. unless they magically cheat death.. and all of the secondary cast of characters will also be dead.. from old sage.

Arilyn and Danillo will both be dead. Elaith will be alive, his daughter will be prime for adventuring age, restoring the family honor, and taking up the family moonblade (assuming moonblades survive 4E and Elaine's last novel.)

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me to see new leaders of the Zhents!

The point that I'm trying to make, the things that I like about the Realms is pretty much dead. The fact that the city still stands doesn't mean the people that I liked in it are still there.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  20:37:07  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

where are all the great game designers of tsr???

Not working for Wizards, that's for sure.

quote:
where is monte cook??

Well he was doing his own stuff, the he found out about 4E and decided to retire.

quote:
where is margaret weiss??

She rewrites Dragonlance novels and I hear has started her own rpg publishing company.

thanks Sirurza..I know the answers in all my questions.. they were just rhetorically asked..

I also agree with youR last post...
but we must do something to stop the transformation of FAERUN..if ED GREENWOOD is pent to wizards WE ARE NOT ...
and WE MUST DEFEND FAERUN.... FOR HIM...AND FOR US

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 17 Jan 2008 20:40:17
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  14:54:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It seems to me that the anger flares up when someone posts and tells us what we should think about the changes.
And Yes I have read more than enough to know that I do not like the changes.
I have stated my opinion that I hate the enormity of the changes.
I also hate the lack of logic and reasoning behind them.
But, I have never, ever told someone else that they should not like them. Or that they should like them.Or that they have not read enough to have valid opinion.Or that they are being alarmists.

Most everyone here is being genuine with their feelings do feel that strongly against and some for.

Seems like tempers flare when people call out others feelings and call them names trying to label them, thereby attempt to discredit their opposition to the changes. It feels like those few have an agenda and go out of their way to fan the flames.

I think we would have a much better discussion if the labeling, calling out individual opinions and lobbying for or against would stop and we just give our take on it. I know my scrolls are not meant as a personal affront to anyone or any "side" to this issue. They are just my thoughts.

Agreed, friend! IMO, the problem appear on the two sides: if someone start a topic "created to talk about the dark side of the changes", a lot of people appear only to say that they disagree, and to post an enormity of reasons that support their point of view;

In the other side, if someone open a scroll to talk about what they like in the changes, quickly a lot of scribes (more greater than the other side) appear only to disagree, and to "clarify the minds of the herds shepperd by WoTC"...

Of course, a lot of people will argue with my statement, because "everyone have the right to debate, and to disagree, and to talk about his/her/it opinions"

I agreed with this, but letīs be a little rational now, friends: we are talking about something that we love. Everyone here love the Realms, in first place. This is the ring that bind us all, here in the halls of Alaundo. The love for the Realms and his multiple sides (like the brightest diamond).

So, if someone have a opinion, donīt matter if he/she/it like or dislike the 4th Edition FR, letīs start to be more sensitive about this... Everyone here is posting with his heart in the point of his fingers. But there are hearts in the other sides of the monitor, too. No one here need to be doctrinated about what is (or not is) good to the Realms. Everyone knows exactly what is good to his Realms.

Ed still is on board of the ship. So, Iīm here, too.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  21:54:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

So, if someone have a opinion, donīt matter if he/she/it like or dislike the 4th Edition FR, letīs start to be more sensitive about this... Everyone here is posting with his heart in the point of his fingers. But there are hearts in the other sides of the monitor, too. No one here need to be doctrinated about what is (or not is) good to the Realms. Everyone knows exactly what is good to his Realms.

Heh, nicely put.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 Jan 2008 22:03:59
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  07:17:06  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sniff, sniff. Dwarves can be so eloquent.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  13:35:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am with you friend....

but just to be safe I'm gonna go count the lifeboats

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  17:40:09  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinion of Ed being on board is he's too much of a gentlemen to abandon the Realms just because he doesn't like the changes the powers incharge have ordered for the Realms.

Edited by - SirUrza on 21 Jan 2008 17:44:32
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  21:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

My opinion of Ed being on board is he's too much of a gentlemen to abandon the Realms just because he doesn't like the changes the powers incharge have ordered for the Realms.

Doesn't that somehow imply that ... on another day ... he also likes a visit to a temple of Loviatar?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000