Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Apparent error on the Roll of Years
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  19:32:25  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

I don't recognize the next one:
-50/Year of the Phandar

If you know what this word is...

Phandar is a type of tree, described on page 62 of the formerly suppressed work () Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, which you can download for free from the Wizards downloads page.

A tree ? Yes, I remember, in Silver Marches.
Thanks

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  20:20:14  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking in my notes, I don't recognize this one too:
-401/Year of Kyrie Arcanaon

If you know what this words are...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  20:43:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kyrie are a Dragginglance race... But it's also a Greek word for "Lord".

"Arcana" means "mystery", and it's often used for magic -- usually as the word "arcane". I don't know for certain, but I'm assuming that Kyrie Arcanaon is referreing to some powerful wizard ruler.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  20:49:17  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

And Arumae and Sumbril are proper names for people who have an impact on history in their respective years. Whether or not it was recorded by history or had an impact beyond a local range, it was something presaged by Alaundo or Agauthra and thus in the Roll. As for what they did or who they were...another time, gentles.....

Steven

Agree for Sumbril, but I found this and it seems ... funny:

tum·brel [ túmbr#601;l ] (plural tum·brels) or tum·bril [ túmbr#601;l ] (plural tum·brils)

noun
Definition:

1. cart carrying prisoners to be guillotined: a cart used during the French Revolution to carry condemned prisoners to be executed by guillotine

2. military cart: a covered cart formerly used to carry ammunition and equipment for the artillery

[14th century. < Old French tumberel< tomber "fall"]

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  23:42:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Kyrie are a Dragginglance race... But it's also a Greek word for "Lord".
The Kyrie are indeed a DRAGONLANCE race. Their supposed origins as a race of mountain-dwelling humans whose exposure to the Graygem resulted in their "hawk-men" like form, suggests they are Krynn-specific.

However, given the prevalence of portals and gateways scattered about Toril during the older editions, perhaps a small tribe of kyrie crossed over to the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Dec 2008 23:43:16
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  18:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

KYRIE (from Answers.com)
1. A brief petition and response used in various liturgies of several Christian churches, beginning with or composed of the words “Lord, have mercy.â€
2. A brief petition and response that together comprise the first item of the Ordinary of the Roman Catholic Mass.
2. A musical setting of either of these sets of petition and response.

[Late Latin K[ymacr]rie (eleison), from Greek Kūrie eleēson, Lord, have mercy : Kūrie, vocative of kūrios, lord, master + eleēson, aorist imperative of elein, to show mercy (from eleos, mercy).]

This was me playing with language and replacing eleison with arcanon; if you like, this could refer to the establishment of a number of holy songs in Mystra's or Azuth's worship in this year....or it could mean something else entirely--your call.

Steven
who sometimes just like plays on words and language games in the roll...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  19:12:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, keep those little tidbits coming, Steven!

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  09:23:14  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

KYRIE (from Answers.com)
1. A brief petition and response used in various liturgies of several Christian churches, beginning with or composed of the words “Lord, have mercy.â€
2. A brief petition and response that together comprise the first item of the Ordinary of the Roman Catholic Mass.

[Late Latin K[ymacr]rie (eleison), from Greek Kūrie eleēson, Lord, have mercy : Kūrie, vocative of kūrios, lord, master + eleēson, aorist imperative of elein, to show mercy (from eleos, mercy).]

This was me playing with language and replacing eleison with arcanon; if you like, this could refer to the establishment of a number of holy songs in Mystra's or Azuth's worship in this year....or it could mean something else entirely--your call.

Steven
who sometimes just like plays on words and language games in the roll...

Thank you for this swift reply.

Edited by - Asharak on 02 Jan 2009 15:36:15
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  02:52:32  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
PS: I think Jasmal might have been made up by me or Ed, but I'm not sure. The year name MIGHT refer to the historic blade-maker Jasmal of Impiltur, whose works were said to remain vorpal-sharp for centuries without the aid of magic.

From Volo's Guide To All Things Magical, p.42:
"Jasmal: Jasmal is a durable, very hard gem. It is found in small veins or, very rarely, larger seam deposits in the Thunder Peaks and the Spine of the World mountains. When polished, jasmals catch sunlight or torchlight and give off haloes of amber light, although they themselves remain transparent and colorless. Jasmals are usually cabochon cut and thus appear as small, glassy globes of orange light when worn on cloaks or tunics.
Jasmal is so hard that it can hold a cutting edge and even be worked into small nonmetallic weapons or mounted in a row along a blade. In this latter use, it is prized for its ability to take multiple or complex enchantments that the strike of the blade can visit upon victims whenever the jasmals strike for damage. Powdered jasmal is also a favored ingredient in enchantment baths for magical armor and in the ink formula for the spell Veladar's vambrace."
quote:
I still can't find jack on "eloene".
And you probably won't. 548 was one of the "missing" years that I spotted on the original Roll (along with 382, 722 and 977), and Steven was gracious enough to let me "fill in" the names. George stopped me at 977, but I had already turned in the others.

(long-winded non-canon explanation follows)
"Eloene" was an IMC elven phrase along the lines of "dancing in (sorcerous) light." Many elven (and, later, human, which is where it was co-opted into the common tongue) stage productions featured soliloquies or arias with the actor bathed in faerie fire or similar illuminating magics. It is an especially popular device in bawdy human festhall productions. This usage later was later expanded to refer to anyone strongly backlit by a light source or infused with a visible deific halo, or any individual with vibrant reddish or light flaxen hair. Which, of course, gives Eloene Bride a number of possible visual choices.
quote:
Originally posted by Crazed Venturers
Corrie is short for Coronation Street (the longest running soap opera on UK TV)
I was under the impression that a "corrie fist" was the same as a "southpaw," but I can't seem to find anything to verify that.

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 27 Dec 2008 02:54:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  07:08:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So was there any basis for the word "eloene", or did you just make it up?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  15:51:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whittling down the list of oddballs further...

quote:
Year of the Adomal Tapestry, 1518
Year of the Armarel, 1210
Year of the Gulagoar, 1316
Year of the Normiir, 611 (Steven says this is in Realmslore, but the definition remains unknown)
Year of Rampaging Raaserpents, 699
Year of the Sarune, 1206
Year of the Volanth, 655
Year of the Shandon Eyes, 741
Year of the Shandon Veil, 962 (Steven says shandon may be a shade of blue; I've not yet been able to find that definition, but I'd like to confirm it)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Dec 2008 23:22:56
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  21:50:42  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So was there any basis for the word "eloene", or did you just make it up?

Made up.

quote:

Actually I stole that term from Scots slang; it's to mean left-handed

Nevermind, that's where I remember corrie fist from; querying Steven on it when the Roll first came out.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  00:31:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Year of the Normiir, 611 (Steven says this is in Realmslore, but the definition remains unknown)
Year of the Sarune, 1206
Year of the Volanth, 655
Year of the Shandon Veil, 962 (Steven says shandon may be a shade of blue; I've not yet been able to find that definition, but I'd like to confirm it)

I don't think it's necessary to understand the "meaning" of each year name as this potentially closes off realmslore possibilities.

The year 1206 DR could be the year that an ancient elven cabal of wizards known as the Sarune is formed in Evereska, or the wizard Lordrar of Halruaa creates a new servant creature which he names a sarune, or the year that the ancient dwarven delve of Sar's Rune (which history and human historians have over the centuries shortened to Sarune) is re-discovered in the Stormhorns etc. etc.

Sometimes in the Realms, it's best not to explain everything.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  01:42:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:
Year of the Sarune, 1206
Year of the Volanth, 655

I don't think it's necessary to understand the "meaning" of each year name as this potentially closes off realmslore possibilities.

The year 1206 DR could be the year that an ancient elven cabal of wizards known as the Sarune is formed in Evereska, or the wizard Lordrar of Halruaa creates a new servant creature which he names a sarune, or the year that the ancient dwarven delve of Sar's Rune (which history and human historians have over the centuries shortened to Sarune) is re-discovered in the Stormhorns etc. etc.

Sometimes in the Realms, it's best not to explain everything.

-- George Krashos

Well, it's not that I necessarily want to know exactly what happened in each year... It's just that some of these really are odd words. I want to know that they aren't misspellings or anything like that. I've been removing things from this oddball list as soon as we find some meaning for them -- even if it's just a definition from Old English or something similar.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  19:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

KYRIE (from Answers.com)

Heh, I recently flipped through an old missal of I had in a drawer (I was raised Catholic), and the word was right there--"kyrie." And, this was a children's missal.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  20:42:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

KYRIE (from Answers.com)

Heh, I recently flipped through an old missal of I had in a drawer (I was raised Catholic), and the word was right there--"kyrie." And, this was a children's missal.

I knew the word best from the 80's song "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister... Of course, I was 11 or 12 when I first heard the song, and thought that "Kýrie, eléison" was "Carry a laser". It didn't make any sense, but it was still a cool song.

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2009 :  18:38:38  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

KYRIE (from Answers.com)

I knew the word best from the 80's song "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister... Of course, I was 11 or 12 when I first heard the song, and thought that "Kýrie, eléison" was "Carry a laser". It didn't make any sense, but it was still a cool song.

I actually had to sing a version of a song called Kyrie in middle school choir. It was not the 80's song though, it was a choral piece.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2009 :  19:26:18  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy new year all.

quote:

I don't know for a color, but I found this and hope thats help:

The boy's name Shandon sh(an)-don, also used as girl's name Shandon, is a variant of Shan (Gaelic), and the meaning of Shandon is "old, wise".

(source: thinkbabynames.com)

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2009 :  19:48:12  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of the Sarune, 1206

Sarune: reed wind instrument, like oboe, from Indonesia.

(source: reedmusictradition.net)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2009 :  23:32:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Year of the Sarune, 1206

Sarune: reed wind instrument, like oboe, from Indonesia.

(source: reedmusictradition.net)

When I visited Bali about 15 years ago, I had the opportunity to hear a kindly old man playing both a sarune [that he'd made himself] and the Javanese saron. The saron is like a trough metallophone which, at first, didn't seem to compliment the sound from the sarune very well, but eventually when the two were played at the same time, the production of a eerie, almost ghostly weave of music became apparent.

It's an experience I'll always remember.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  22:06:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just spent some more time playing with the list...
Here's the current version.

Some of the coding got weird on the footnotes; I'm not sure why, but I suspect part of it is googlepage's own weirdness -- it's adding in code I didn't put there. When the income tax refund comes in, I think I'm going to spring for a real website of my own.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Feb 2009 22:18:40
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  02:24:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Sarune" of the Realms are not musical instruments, but a league of hidden-until-that-year female human crossbreeds-with-NDA sorceresses, who infamously NDA in the year named for them, only to be defeated by NDA. The few survivors went into hiding again, and their descendants still survive today, just waiting to sneak into the plots of novels (wherefore all of these NDAs).
The preceding is from some of Ed's original campaign lore-notes, as censored by yours truly to comply with extant NDAs.
Right now, I think I'll go and NDA with NDA after I tear my clothes off.
I'm SUCH a bad girl.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  02:31:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*reads the Lady Hooded One's post above*

I've never disliked the term "NDA" as much as I do right at this moment.
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

"The Sarune" of the Realms are not musical instruments...
Aye. Because it'd likely have to have a Realms-equivalent term, eh?

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Feb 2009 02:33:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  07:47:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"The Sarune" of the Realms are not musical instruments, but a league of hidden-until-that-year female human crossbreeds-with-NDA sorceresses, who infamously NDA in the year named for them, only to be defeated by NDA. The few survivors went into hiding again, and their descendants still survive today, just waiting to sneak into the plots of novels (wherefore all of these NDAs).
The preceding is from some of Ed's original campaign lore-notes, as censored by yours truly to comply with extant NDAs.
Right now, I think I'll go and NDA with NDA after I tear my clothes off.
I'm SUCH a bad girl.
love to all,
THO

I don't know which is more interesting... The lore, or what the lovely Lady Hooded One is doing with the NDAs.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  19:11:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Wooly, you say such NICE things to a lass.
Which leaves me, glistening lips parted slightly in anticipation, more than willing to urge you to participate. I will need Your tongue to NDA my trembling NDA, before you apply the whip I'll hand you to my NDA until I NDA, and sobbingly beg you for more.
Being the upstanding hamster I know you to be, I'm sure I can rely on you to NDA me until my NDA erupts in NDA and leaves me writhing in NDA after NDA until we collapse together in a puddle of NDA on the floor.
Whereupon, of course, you'll need to get out the feather duster and apply it with brutal gentleness to my NDA, probing deeply in a vain attempt to satisfy me.
For I am, of course, never sated.

And for the rest of you scribes who read this, those who are offended really should launder their minds. The ASSUMPTIONS you make when your eyes behold "NDA"! Well, I NEVER!

Well, as G&S said, hardly ever . . .
love,
THO
Edit: Ahem, the Roll of Years, yes. Where - - ohhhhh! - - were we? Ah, yes, the Sarune. Who are headed by one who takes the title "THE Sarune," and - - oh, ND-effing-A! THAT's NDA, too! Blah!

Edited by - The Hooded One on 26 Feb 2009 19:13:51
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  19:24:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which leaves me, glistening lips parted slightly in anticipation, more than willing to urge you to participate. I will need Your tongue to NDA my trembling NDA, before you apply the whip I'll hand you to my NDA until I NDA, and sobbingly beg you for more.
Being the upstanding hamster I know you to be, I'm sure I can rely on you to NDA me until my NDA erupts in NDA and leaves me writhing in NDA after NDA until we collapse together in a puddle of NDA on the floor.
Whereupon, of course, you'll need to get out the feather duster and apply it with brutal gentleness to my NDA, probing deeply in a vain attempt to satisfy me.

And for the rest of you scribes who read this, those who are offended really should launder their minds. The ASSUMPTIONS you make when your eyes behold "NDA"! Well, I NEVER!

love,
THO
Edit: Ahem, the Roll of Years, yes. Where - - ohhhhh! - - were we? Ah, yes, the Sarune. Who are headed by one who takes the title "THE Sarune," and - - oh, ND-effing-A! THAT's NDA, too! Blah!

Did she say puddle of DNA???

goodnight!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  20:41:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Lady, we appreciate all the lore you share with us... We just don't notice it immediately, because the rest of your post gets us all hot and bothered!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Feb 2009 20:42:21
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  21:35:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Thy Lady's NDA's are definitely NSFW!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  23:15:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

love,
THO

My Lady, you've once again rekindled my love for the once-dreaded NDA.

And waste no time with the Hamster. A Loremaster Most High is ALL Loremaster, if you know what I mean?

Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  05:17:03  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[ thread necromancy, etc. etc. ]

quote:

Year of the Shandon Veil, 962

Currently re-reading through Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and it seems that, much like jasmal of the Year of the Jasmal Blade, shandon is a gemstone (and is specifically noted as being "...used by skilled clothiers to adorn veils and robes...") (VGtATM, p.49)

quote:

Year of the Exploding Orl, 861

The same goes for orl, as "Those who work with magic know orl as a potent explosive..." (VGtATM, p.46)

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000