Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Apparent error on the Roll of Years
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  00:08:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before or not... I once sat down to write the backstory of a particular NPC. As I was working on it, I noted that I didn't have any names for many of the dates I was including in his history. So I made them up and kept going... Later, I decided to compile my own list of the Roll of Years, and I started notating every year name as I came across it. I knew this was a major undertaking, but it seemed a worthy cause.
Heh. I still do it. Though, I draw my inspiration from Ed, who noted previously that there may exist some "alternative local names" for some years. Thus, the year names I intentionally craft for my campaign, may reflect this notion and may be region, religion, or even race-specific -- and being entirely different from the dates/years recorded on the Roll of Years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Dec 2008 00:09:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  18:34:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, the current version of the notes on the amended Roll of Years:

Errors and Issues:

1. In the original Roll of Years file, the year -645 is listed twice, as both the Year of Eternal Amber and the Year of Maleficent Counsel. The Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool, oddly, has neither name. The pdf A Grand History of the Realms (the last version updated before the release of the printed The Grand History of the Realms) has an event happening in the Year of Eternal Amber, and uses that name on the Roll of Years in that file. There is no listed event for that year in the print version.

Therefore, I opted for the Year of Eternal Amber.

2. Year 994 in the original Roll of Years file also has two names, Year of the Unanswered Riddle and Year of the Weary Scribe. The latter name appears in both in the Roll in the pdf Grand History, and in the Calendar tool. Neither version of the Grand History has an event in that year.

I chose to go with the Year of the Weary Scribe.

3. There are two years with the name the Year of the Fledglings, 107 and 1173. Both years have corresponding events in the printed Grand History.

Though having events notated for both numerical years makes things a bit tricky, I chose to follow Steven Schend's suggest, and rename 107 the Year of Many Hawks. As George Krashos notated, this is a year name that has appeared in print (Polyhedron #85, p.6), but did not appear on the Roll of Years.

4. Another issue is the Year of the Prowling Naga (142) and the Year of Prowling Naga (1176). The Year of the Prowling Naga (142) has an event listed in the printed Grand History (and the pdf). No event is listed in either source for 1176.

For this one, Steven Schend suggested that one of them could have been a misread listing by a scribe. His suggestion was to make 1176 be the Year of Growling Naga. However, I opted against this. To me, "Growling Naga" really sounds like there should be a "the" in front of it. I chose to use another year named on Krash's list of non-Roll year names, the Year of the Snarling Snowleopard (Polyhedron #80, p.6). I chose this name because I liked the way it sounded.

The Sage suggested using the Year of Tattered Banners for 1176 DR. His reasoning:

I selected Year of Tattered Banners for 1176 DR mainly because the reference in FR11 suggested that the events of that particular Year name occured "just over two centuries ago."

Now, I know the Realms year of printing for Dwarves Deep [around 1357-1359 roughly] wasn't over two centuries later in exact timeline terms with respect to 1176 DR, but it's close enough. And, using Steven's suggestion above that some hasty scribes occasionally make errors by mis-reading information, I thought it would be easier just to assume the scribe was mistaken with the "over" portion of the text I quoted above from the information Elminster collected. Instead, perhaps the events of the Year of Tattered Banners occured "nearly two centuries ago" -- which makes it easier to source the 1176 DR year reference as the Year of Tattered Banners.

And, besides, it kinda matches with the whole absence of "the" in the Year name for 1176 DR anyway, which I thought was more appropriate.

I opted against this when it was pointed out that 1228 DR is the Year of the Tattered Banners. This date does still match The Sage's reasoning, but not as well as 1176 would have.

5. The original Roll of Years RTF file also omitted a year, 977. This error was duplicated in the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool. However, a name for this year has been provided. It was originally on the REALMS-L list, but the information has since been added to the REALMS-L FAQ hosted on the Candlekeep website. According to that FAQ, 977 is the Year of Swordforging.

6. As mentioned above, Krash listed some year names that do not appear on the Roll of Years. Per the FAQ, year names not listed on the Roll are considered to be regional variants. For the sake of completeness, here is Krash's list:

Year of the Black Shield – Polyhedron #79, p.7
Year of the Snarling Snowleopard – Polyhedron #80, p.6
Year of the Black Axe – Polyhedron #81, p.8
Year of the Black Banner – Polyhedron #82, p.22
Year of Rising Winds – Polyhedron #83, p.29
Year of the Torch – Polyhedron #87, p.8
Year of the Unicorn – Polyhedron #86, p.17
Year of Many Hawks – Polyhedron #85, p.6
Year of the Hunting Hawk – Halls of the High King, p.2

Krash originally included the Year of Tattered Banners (FR11 Dwarves Deep, p.59) on his list, but as it is quite close to the Year of the Tattered Banners, I felt that notation of that fact should be made.

7. The two years that are duplicated on the original Roll can be assumed to be regional variants. Listing them once more, for sake of completeness:

-645, the Year of Maleficent Counsel
994, the Year of the Unanswered Riddle

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Dec 2008 18:36:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  23:32:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I opted against this when it was pointed out that 1228 DR is the Year of the Tattered Banners. This date does still match The Sage's reasoning, but not as well as 1176 would have.
Fair enough.

Interestingly, the Dwarves Deep reference could still refer to the 1228 DR year. Because scribes can be wrong at times. Though, I'll note that I'm not completely comfortable with just assuming that a scribe could be so wrong in his research as to classify the period between 1228 DR and 1357/59 DR as "two centuries."

Thus, there is a possibility that the "two centuries" reference may have been made to reflect a long standing event that only come to a resolution in 1228 DR. And, then, the only error the scribe would've made, would be missing "the" from the year name.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  23:59:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Fair enough.

Interestingly, the Dwarves Deep reference could still refer to the 1228 DR year. Because scribes can be wrong at times. Though, I'll note that I'm not completely comfortable with just assuming that a scribe could be so wrong in his research as to classify the period between 1228 DR and 1357/59 DR as "two centuries."

Thus, there is a possibility that the "two centuries" reference may have been made to reflect a long standing event that only come to a resolution in 1228 DR. And, then, the only error the scribe would've made, would be missing "the" from the year name.

Or the mistake could have been saying "more than two centuries" when he meant "more than a century".

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  00:03:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1079 is the Year of the Lazy Scribe. Maybe we can attribute the original Roll of Years file to a copy made in that year...

Edit: This idea is growing on me... I'm thinking of rewriting my intro to explain that some diligent scribe recently noticed some errors, and that upon careful research, discovered that these errors all stemmed from a widely distributed but flawed copy made in 1079!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Dec 2008 01:15:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  00:09:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found a typo, too:

1533, the Year of the Mishapen Mage. Unless the Mage in question was prone to mishaps (and I don't think that would work), the correct spelling is Misshapen.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  00:43:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feels like "Misshapen" to me... though the possibility of a "mishapen"-plagued mage does sound kinda interesting.

Heh. Considering the year referenced, maybe this was a mage who was misshapen by the Spellplague?

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Dec 2008 00:44:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  01:13:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... Since I found a typo, I decided to look for more in the easiest way possible: I copied the Roll to a Word document, and ran Spellcheck. Naturally, it found many, many things it didn't like. A lot of these I was able to ignore. Some more typos were discovered, though. And there were a bunch of listings that I didn't recognize words in. They are not necessarily any kind of mistake; it could be that I'm having a brainfart on some of these.

Here's the list of typos:

Year of the Chirugeons, –195 (Chirurgeons)
Year of the Cinammon Haze, 126 (Cinnamon)
Year of the Ensorceled Kings, 616 (Ensorcelled)
Year of Erstwile Travelers, –546 (Erstwhile)
Year of the Mishapen Mage, 1533 (Misshapen)
Year of the Regal Doppleganger, 206 (Doppelganger)
Year of Reluctent Passion, –610 (Reluctant)
Year of Venemous Scribes, –548 (Venomous)

Now, this is the list of years that contain words I don't recognize. Please, if you know what some of these words are, don't hesitate to let me know! I don't want to call something an error when it's not!

Year of the Adomal Tapestry, 1518
Year of the Armarel, 1210
Year of Arumae, –366
Year of Bloodied Orphreys, –216
Year of the Bored Phylls, 1522
Year of the Carnivorose, 315 (A meat-eating rose?)
Year of the Corrie Fist, 450
Year of the Eloene Bride, 548
Year of the Exploding Orl, 861
Year of the Falling Maeran, 921
Year of Glassharks, –310 (A contraction of glass sharks, perhaps?)
Year of the Gulagoar, 1316
Year of the Hungry Anelace, 597 (Analace or anlace, perhaps?)
Year of the Jasmal Blade, 851
Year of the Luminar Procession, 1127
Year of Medyoxes, –385
Year of Neomen Swords, 1448
Year of the Normiir, 611
Year of the Orb Obsidious, 85
Year of the Ormage, 102 (a contraction of orm and mage?)
Year of the Pernicon, 545
Year of the Purring Pard, –274
Year of Rampaging Raaserpents, 699
Year of the Reremouse, 166
Year of the Rising Maeran, 904
Year of the Sad Orm, 243
Year of the Sarune, 1206
Year of Sumbril, –217
Year of the Unknown Paraph, –228
Year of the Unshriven, 686
Year of the Volanth, 655 (Volant, perhaps?)
Year of Windragons, –237 (another odd contraction, perhaps?)

I appreciate any aid that can be offered... This is turning into more of a project than I thought it would be!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Dec 2008 20:35:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  02:15:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have time to go over this fully now, but I can probably offer an opinion on two of your queries...
quote:

[...]

I'm thinking contractions are probably relevant here... given the past contracted year references we have in the form of "the Two-edged Axe" [878], "the Far-flung Harp" [958], "the Eight-legged Mount" [1410], and "the Dog-Eared Journal" [1424]. Though, I would assume that last one is a slight error, and should include a lower case "e" for the "Eared" instead -- to conform to the previous contracted year references. A few others... "the Six-Armed Elf" [1464] -- and this one should probably also have a lower case "a" for "Armed," and "the Long-toothed Tiger" [1530].

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  06:20:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't have time to go over this fully now, but I can probably offer an opinion on two of your queries...
quote:

[...]

I'm thinking contractions are probably relevant here... given the past contracted year references we have in the form of "the Two-edged Axe" [878], "the Far-flung Harp" [958], "the Eight-legged Mount" [1410], and "the Dog-Eared Journal" [1424]. Though, I would assume that last one is a slight error, and should include a lower case "e" for the "Eared" instead -- to conform to the previous contracted year references. A few others... "the Six-Armed Elf" [1464] -- and this one should probably also have a lower case "a" for "Armed," and "the Long-toothed Tiger" [1530].

Good points on the capitalization... It does seem a bit odd. I don't know if I want to go that far into making corrections, but I shall ponder them.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  06:23:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found three more oddballs...

Year of the Shandon Eyes, 741
Year of the Shandon Veil, 962

I have no idea, and neither does my dictionary, as to what "Shandon" means. The only reason Word didn't twig to it is that it's a name of a real city.

Year of the Sinhala, 916
As far as I can tell, Sinhala is another name for Sri Lanka.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  06:26:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another general question, while I'm doing this...

On the alphabetical list, should I leave the "the" in there while alphabetizing them? Doing this means that if you're looking for a particular year name, you've got to look for it twice. Separating out the "the"'s means you only have to look once, but it's not quite as neat. Thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  12:46:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found three more oddballs...

Year of the Shandon Eyes, 741
Year of the Shandon Veil, 962

I have no idea, and neither does my dictionary, as to what "Shandon" means. The only reason Word didn't twig to it is that it's a name of a real city.

Year of the Sinhala, 916
As far as I can tell, Sinhala is another name for Sri Lanka.

Curious. Both year references would [at least initially] appear to be about Earth-based locales.

For the first, Year of the Shandon Eyes sounds like it's a reference about an individual or place, while the second Shandon year reference reads more like it's referring to a place. Neither of which exist in the Realmslore, as far as I can recall.

As for Year of the Sinhala... I don't immediately recall any type of Realms reference that could possibly connect with that either.

At first glance, I'd say these two year references were simply dropped into the working of the Roll of Years without much thought. And, of course, considering the notion that most year names are based on prophecies that are cryptic and poetic, rather than descriptive... it's entirely possible that the meanings of these particular year names have no true meaning at all in terms of the Realmslore.

It's not really such a satisfying answer, I know, but it's the truth for the most part. Fact is, Alaundo and Augathra's prophecies are cryptic and poetic, not descriptive, as I said, and many of them are nothing more than the year names. The idea is not that they definitely refer to large-scale events: sages differ, even after the fact, on what the prophecies refer to. These guys are crazy mystics, not big-man-theory historians, and their visions were not all of the RSE-type events that TSR has trained some of us to think 'important'.

Thus, I think it's important to keep that in mind as we work further through the apparent errors on the Roll of Years. We should appreciate the possible reality that some errors may not be errors at all... and, rather, just simply are.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  12:48:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the alphabetical list, should I leave the "the" in there while alphabetizing them? Doing this means that if you're looking for a particular year name, you've got to look for it twice. Separating out the "the"'s means you only have to look once, but it's not quite as neat. Thoughts?

The second option has some appeal, but for me personally, I prefer seeing the "the" reference when it is applicable with respect to the year names. So I'd leave them where they are.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Dec 2008 12:50:35
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  13:33:06  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

See my sig for the explanation.....

Corrie is short for Coronation Street (the longest running soap opera on UK TV)

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  15:54:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not really such a satisfying answer, I know, but it's the truth for the most part. Fact is, Alaundo and Augathra's prophecies are cryptic and poetic, not descriptive, as I said, and many of them are nothing more than the year names. The idea is not that they definitely refer to large-scale events: sages differ, even after the fact, on what the prophecies refer to. These guys are crazy mystics, not big-man-theory historians, and their visions were not all of the RSE-type events that TSR has trained some of us to think 'important'.

Thus, I think it's important to keep that in mind as we work further through the apparent errors on the Roll of Years. We should appreciate the possible reality that some errors may not be errors at all... and, rather, just simply are.

Well, I do understand all that... And the poetic thing is the reason I didn't twig on things like the Year of the Dusken Ride (986) or the Year of the Dreamforging (1033).

It's just that I'm trying to understand what some of these things are. Not necessarily to have any lore to attach to the year, just to understand the name of the year. Shandon Eyes does sound poetic and all, but what does Shandon mean in the Realms? What's a medyox or a pernicon? What is eloene?

I'm not saying these things are errors, but they are entries that stand out for using what appear to be non-Realms terms. I want to know what these words mean in general, not in regards to the specific year.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  16:02:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The second option has some appeal, but for me personally, I prefer seeing the "the" reference when it is applicable with respect to the year names. So I'd leave them where they are.

Well, I'd not remove the word. I'd just do something like either move it to the end (Prince, the, 1357) or -- more likely -- put the "the"'s in a separate column. They'd still be next to the year name, but they'd be one column over -- so the Prince would be between Prideful Tales and the Prisoner Unfettered, instead of the Preying Griffon and the Prisoner Unfettered.

Or for a better example... The way the list currently is, if I want to find when the Year of Blinding Lightning is, and I'm not sure if it includes the "the" or not, I've got to look under the "B's" and then under the "the B's". Separated the "the" as a factor -- but still having it as part of the name -- would mean you look in one place.

And actually, I don't even have to separat them out... I could alphabetize them without the "the"'s and then add them back in... But that still leaves the question of whether or not I should.

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  17:57:16  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of the Sad Orm, 243

I found this on Wiktionary :

Swedish
orm
1. (zoology) snake; a legless reptile of the suborder Serpentes

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:08:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

Year of the Sad Orm, 243

Swedish
orm
1. (zoology) snake; a legless reptile of the suborder Serpentes

Good info, but that makes things weirder -- we have a Year of the Ormserpent already on there, so that makes it the year of the Snakeserpent.

Edit: Strike that.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Fair meeting once again, scribes! Thy Lady Hooded rides in with another reply from Ed, this time for the April 18th questions posed by Bakra, Lord of the Outlying Thread:

Hi, Bakra. Well, I can tell you that unless editing prunes these lore-mentions away, the forthcoming Serpent Kingdoms product will identify important events that befell during both the ‘Year of the Sighing Serpent’ (1289) and the ‘Year of the Ormserpent’ (1295), giving the usual cryptic hindsight reason behind the two year-names.
“Ormserpent” is a corruption of a “wormserpent,” and this is an old name for a naga. I can add something NOT mentioned in Serpent Kingdoms: that there once was a gigantic, unique reptile called THE Ormserpent (briefly worshipped in its own cult) that legend tells us was able to disgorge, after great agonies, “spawns” of 3-6 living creatures of all manner of other serpentine races (a maximum of 2 creatures out of such a spew being the same sort of creature), and that it would perish if it ever vomited forth another ormserpent. One tale also claims that a clan of very-long-lived, immune-to-all-poisons women of sinister intelligence and purpose, who can shapechange into various snake forms (from small to monstrous), are the “Daughters of the Ormserpent,” spewed out by it, one by one, on rare occasions.
This is old, old Realmslore from my personal scrolls, hitherto hidden even from the keenest scholars of Candlekeep, and it may or may not be more than mere legend.

Whew. Ask and ye shall receive, Bakra! WELL, now . . . Daughters of the Ormserpent, eh? I’ll have to investigate more fully, in our Realmsplay sessions, as to whether or not certain fell females might just be members of this clan. If, of course, it truly exists.
THO

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Dec 2008 19:31:44
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:09:16  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of the Unknown Paraph, –228

English

Etymology
From French paraphe or parafe.

paraph (plural paraphs)
(mostly historical) A flourish made after or below signature, originally to prevent forgery.

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:18:21  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of Bloodied Orphreys, –216

I found this on The Free Dictionary :

or.phrey (ôrfr) also or·fray (-fr)
n. pl. or·phreys also or·frays
1. A band of elaborate embroidery decorating the front of certain ecclesiastical vestments.
2. Elaborate embroidery, especially when made of gold.

[Middle English orfrey, alteration of orfreis, from Old French, from Medieval Latin aurifrigium : Latin aurum, gold + Latin Phrygius, Phrygian.]

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:30:24  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of the Pernicon, 545

I founf this on Monstrous Manual tsr2140

Pernicon (insect)

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:34:20  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of the Purring Pard, –274

English
Etymology
From Middle English parde, from Latin pardus, from Ancient Greek #960;#940;#961;#948;#959;#962; (pardos)

pard (plural pards)

1. A leopard; a panther.

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:40:13  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of the Reremouse, 166

Definition from Wiktionary

reremouse (plural rearmice)

1. Obsolete spelling of rearmouse, a bat.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  19:27:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good info, on all of them. I shall strike them from my list.

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  19:30:25  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote

TheFreeDictionary :

cor·rie (kôr, kr)
n.
A round hollow in a hillside; a cirque.
[Scottish Gaelic coire, hollow, cauldron, from Old Irish, cauldron, whirlpool.]

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  23:08:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's just that I'm trying to understand what some of these things are. Not necessarily to have any lore to attach to the year, just to understand the name of the year. Shandon Eyes does sound poetic and all, but what does Shandon mean in the Realms? What's a medyox or a pernicon? What is eloene?
That's what I mean. It may even be difficult to understand some of the more confusing names themselves because the particular aspects they are referencing were set down in the Realmslore long ago, and have yet to be fully explored in the material. Or the person/people responsible for those particular year names had ideas about what they could refer to at the time of compiling the Roll of Years, and then forgot all about them.

As it is, I sometimes tend to view the Roll of Years as an archaic source of information about the Realms as it was back when the Roll was first put together. There may have been a lot of good ideas and references floating around at the time that were incorporated into it, and then either ignored, forgotten, or simply cast aside as progress on the setting's design shifted elsewhere.
quote:
I'm not saying these things are errors, but they are entries that stand out for using what appear to be non-Realms terms. I want to know what these words mean in general, not in regards to the specific year.
Agreed.

And aye. But as I said above, the general meanings of some of these strange words and references may have had meanings before. Unfortunately though, whatever they may have referred to may simply have been forgotten or the reason for their reference in the Roll of Years, ignored. And that may make it difficult to completely ascertain what their meanings are.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  23:11:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I'd not remove the word. I'd just do something like either move it to the end (Prince, the, 1357) or -- more likely -- put the "the"'s in a separate column. They'd still be next to the year name, but they'd be one column over -- so the Prince would be between Prideful Tales and the Prisoner Unfettered, instead of the Preying Griffon and the Prisoner Unfettered.

Or for a better example... The way the list currently is, if I want to find when the Year of Blinding Lightning is, and I'm not sure if it includes the "the" or not, I've got to look under the "B's" and then under the "the B's". Separated the "the" as a factor -- but still having it as part of the name -- would mean you look in one place.

And actually, I don't even have to separat them out... I could alphabetize them without the "the"'s and then add them back in... But that still leaves the question of whether or not I should.

I think I prefer "the better example."

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  20:06:35  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of the Unshriven, 686

From MSN Encarta :

not granted absolution: not having confessed sins to a priest and been given absolution

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  20:30:21  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of the Orb Obsidious, 85

obsidious adjective. rare. E17.
[from Latin obsidium siege, from obsidere: see OBSESS, -IOUS.]
Besieging; besetting.

Definition from:http://www.inoveu.com/obsidious.shtml

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000