Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Playing NPCs interaction in your campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gnoun2017
Acolyte

France
2 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  19:23:36  Show Profile  Visit gnoun2017's Homepage Send gnoun2017 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

I would ask to senoir DM one question: Let take an example to illustrate my question. Suppose that you play (as DM) an evil NPC who want to invade a town or kill another NPC (a major good NPC in your town/city/campaign). Do you play the invasion / the assassination with dice to get a realistic effect to your story and/or give an appropriate chance to your good NPC ? Or do you simply decide your evil NPC will win the match?

One solution would be to find someone who wants to play the good NPC or the town defense. This forum should create a room where DM could help each other to resolve this kind of situation.

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  19:28:21  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The vast majority of the time I decide the outcome beforehand to have the story-line go a certain way, which will depend on what the PCs do.
Go to Top of Page

gnoun2017
Acolyte

France
2 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  19:34:40  Show Profile  Visit gnoun2017's Homepage Send gnoun2017 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

The vast majority of the time I decide the outcome beforehand to have the story-line go a certain way, which will depend on what the PCs do.

Well, I generally do the same... But a situation like to kill a important NPC or to to play an attack on a town; even if the PC are present, they cannot overcome the entire situation, or be present in every side of a combined attacks!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  03:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only roll for the NPCs if they are interacting with the PCs, other than that it all goes they way I have the story established in my head.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  09:04:27  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understood that there will be a full scale battle about a town, and you are asking, about the evil NPC attacking the lawful ruler. How could the outcome be?

My answer is: What do you want? Do you want to draw the PC’S into a plot to avert the assassination, or do you want them to help clearing the situation afterwards? Is it important that the ruler survives, or will his death motivate the group to some new level: acting for retaliation, for revenge, for the general good etc.

Even if your players are splitting up to defend the town from all possible sides, you may draw them to the point where the main action will be - than the dices may come in. For the outcome in the background, I would have a story-line in my head – just like the other answered

If you are planning to continue with the “good NPC” – don’t use dice – they normally aren’t playing fair
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000