Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Chris Perkins Interview
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  19:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The interview with Chris Perkins about 4th Edition Realms is up at Gamer Radio, right here.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=grz

I'm downloading it now!

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  20:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will download later.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  20:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This basically says it all... They needed a system reboot, accomodating the new system and all that.

Bloody hell, you can run a Realms game without all the knowledge that has been released in 20 odd years. If that is one of the arguments, I pray WOTC will never release a game with a medieval background, because they would certainly have to "reboot" the middle ages to make a new GM undaunted by the sheer volume of HISTORY that happened there... incidentally ... medieval Europe fits the points of light crap perfectly...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  20:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My own summarization of the podcast.

They have a plan to reveal information in both Dragon and Gamer Radio Zero, but they don't want to reveal the information now to avoid spoiling some of the secrets of upcoming novels.

Rest of the key points coming up asap.

Overarching Goal for The Realms: 'All Campaign Settings will need to change to adopt 4th Edition'. One of the key things that defines the Realms is magic. Wanting to make the setting more accessible to a broader audience. The setting comes with '30 years of baggage, a lot of it is good stuff to have around, a lot is not so good to have around.' Wanting to stop people being daunted by the Realms.

How Drastic are the Changes: Changes are Dramatic, most having to do with rebuilding some of the gods, cosmology, pantheons. There is a time jump, but it won't be revealed how much of a time jump till the new year.

Ed's Involvement: Pretty much in every stage. Tackling the most interesting new material in the book, in new places. Writing novels in the new timeframe. Some of Ed's backlog of information may be put on the FR Wiki.

Broad Themes to keep the Realms the Realms: First discussion about FR was what makes it so likeable. 'Setting that has a thousand.. a million stories to tell' Lot's of things going on all around the world. High magic setting. 'A place with a feeling of age and legacy to it'. All those in the new setting.

Side Areas: Maztica, Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim. Not exploring those areas specifically, but taking a more holistic look at the world in the new setting. Will go beyond Faerún. 'A glimpse of the whole world'. Ed taking the lead on this, focusing his work on the world beyond Faerún.

High Level NPC's: Goal to remove them. 'There is a feel in the current game that High Level NPC's save the day'. Mystra's Chosen will not be around. PC's accomplishing the epic goals. Good for the setting that PC's feel like the movers and shakers in the world. Threats at all levels. High Level threats and high level organisations that the PC's can join, but those new organisations aren't going to get in the way of the story, the way some of the current ones do.

'New' Realms: Decision to make the Realms new again taken at the Corporate level. Doesn't mean someone from Hasbro came in and told them to do it, but it was talked about all the way up the chain internally. Initiated by the Team.

The Weave: 'We understand what the Weave does'. Weave didn't fit in 4th Edition though. What steps in is new, but not something completely alien. 'It will work really well within the setting'

Realms Campaigns run by the Designers: Internal Realms game was going for a while, stopped about a year ago. Realms info plundered for their own campaigns, so lots of FR in all their campaigns. 'Lot of stuff within the FR world that can easily be imported over (into their own campagins)' Didn't run FR campaigns due to thinking that they couldn't absorb all the information to run a true FR campaign, which influenced them and gave them an awareness of this 'problem'.

Other Designers working on the Realms: Eric Boyd, Brian James working on stuff. 'As FR continues we will need more folks in.' Rob Heinsoo with Logan Bonner working the mechanical design, the players content. New races, new powers.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  21:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get a definite sense of respect for the setting at hearing that certain NPCs are going to be "nuked" and "eliminated".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  21:27:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sighs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  23:08:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, on one hand, none of this information really surprises me, because we could more or less infer everything that was confirmed. So I don't know why I'm upset, except perhaps some of the flippant comments and the confirmation of what is going on was enough to get my blood pressure going.

One of the things that really annoyed me was only a few second before explaining why "uber" NPCs had to be killed or "nuked," Chis Perkins says that the Realms is big enough that you didn't have to run into Drizzt if you didn't want to use him, but yet, the setting is so small that you did have to constantly run into NPCs that aren't Drizzt.

Also, I'd also like to point out that I've yet to run into a group of PCs that said "you know, it could be dangerous to oppose the People of the Black Blood/Zhentarim/Shadovar/random orc tribe/sneaky goblins, lets just let them make slaves of the locals/slaughter the locals/allow the Dalelands to be conquered/watch the innocent people being sacrificed to the demon lord, since eventually Storm or Dove or someone will happen upon this and fix the problem. In fact, let's have our characters retire at first level since there is obviously nothing for us to do here."

I'm also really tired of being told things will work really well, and that various changes will be great, because the underlying feeling here is not "hey, we're working really hard, and we hope you'll like it because we think this is a good idea," but rather, "we know this is the only way to make the setting work, and if it doesn't work for you, the problem is with you, not our design."

Also, again in a matter of a few breaths he says the the people in house don't use material the same way that the unwashed masses do, and they have the brilliance and foresight to know what to use and what not to use, but then turns around and uses the admittedly aberrant group as proof that its too hard to use the Forgotten Realms as it currently stands.

I also love how as soon as someone mentions Rich Baker's name, they jump to the conclusion that the person positing the question must have been one of the people that has been lambasting Rich, and thus they start in with the joking and laughing about how silly and foolish people are for questioning their wisdom.

I think they do listen, but they listen looking for confirmation of their opinions. As soon as they find someone that is critical of the Realms that is ranting and irrational, they assume that all of the other people being critical are similarly irrational, and as soon as they find someone calm and eloquent that is willing to at least wait for the new material, they assume that this person is representative of the "pro" or "wait and see" crowd.

You know, I love his writing, and I love the character, but has it occurred to anyone that Erevis Cale became the Chosen of Mask and progressed to "epic level" after development of 4th edition began? In other words, Chosen and Epic are supposed to be anathema to the continued enjoyment of the Realms, and yet they allow another Epic Chosen to develop as they are "stamping out" this "problem." Between this and the drastic increases in the number of RSE since the timeframe when we know that 4th edition has been in developement, it almost feels like some people were perhaps annoyed with this or that about the setting, so lets make sure they are really, really annoyed with these things that they used to be able to look past so they will see why we needed to change these things.

I'm going to take a deep breath stop talking, since I'm likely to say something that I shouldn't. I think I'm more upset know, because I get the feeling that they do understand the setting, but still wanted to change it and manipulated it even in 3.5 in order to fit their template.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  00:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not think that Chris really said anything that he or Rich had not already said on the Forums/Blogs. Blech! I still do not understand why they will not at least tell us the dates on which we will learn the answers to various questions. And how the hell is the date of the "new" campaign setting going to ruin a novel?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  01:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
Also, I'd also like to point out that I've yet to run into a group of PCs that said "you know, it could be dangerous to oppose the People of the Black Blood/Zhentarim/Shadovar/random orc tribe/sneaky goblins, lets just let them make slaves of the locals/slaughter the locals/allow the Dalelands to be conquered/watch the innocent people being sacrificed to the demon lord, since eventually Storm or Dove or someone will happen upon this and fix the problem. In fact, let's have our characters retire at first level since there is obviously nothing for us to do here."

You know, there's a thread on the WotC forums that I took part in that deals with this very issue. Faraer mentioned (rightly, IMO) that the oft-cited question of "why isn't so-and-so taking care of this?" is a player question rather than a character question (and therefore, it probably isn't something the PCs would be asking themselves). I suggested that if a game stops in its tracks because the players would rather wonder where Elminster is than actually get to adventuring, than they are probably overthinking the game a bit.

I agree with you--hearing all these new (flippant) comments made me feel upset all over again. To think I had a pretty dispassionate attitude before, this podcast gets me all POed again.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Dec 2007 01:07:28
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  01:21:07  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of what I'm now going to say is probably irrational and unfair, but I feel compelled to write it down because its my gut reaction. Granted, as Hawkins says, Chris didn't really say anything that hadn't been hinted at already. Yet previously I was leery of writing about these hints because they were just that: hints, potentially misconstrued by fans protective of their setting. Now, though, we've got one or two bald statements, and I can unleash the Fan Within...

From Uzzy's Summary:
Mystra's Chosen will not be around. -- also: "nuked", "eliminated"

Then neither will I. He has "nuked" my interest. [And yeah, I definitely get a real sense of respect for the setting here. Its petty to get so uptight, I know, but the reaction they're getting from the "old guard" in itself is an indication of the power of the Realms as it stands.]

From Summary:
...a million stories to tell, lots of things going on all around the world

Accept, apparently, there ain't no space for some characters who've been there for twenty years. Some of these personalities have been with the setting since the beginning, since before I was born. This is baseline stuff they're messing with.

From Summary:
good for the setting that PCS feel like the movers and shakers in the world

I think that this has the danger to degenerate into player ego-stroking of the kind that's sometimes encountered in computer games.

From Summary:
but those new organizations aren't going to get in the way of the story, the way some of the current ones do.

Get in the way? But they are part of the story, my friend. Just as the Chosen are part of the story, a vast and complex tapestry that's more than dice and dungeons and "my elf rogue is level 30". Also, how will these new organizations be different? It seems that they are substituting one set of high level "evils" for some new ones. Accept these new ones will be "cool".

Well, I guess that's it then. This weekend I'll break out the books and start planning a time-line to support my own campaigns running over the next while chronologically. Really I should thank them -- this will probably be a lot of fun.

I know that I should wait and see. I know that I should give their new vision a chance. I know that Ed is on board. But, (today, at least), I don't care. With that open comment about "stealing thunder" Perkins has managed to convince me that this new setting ain't for me. Sod this. I know its immature, but I'm taking my ball and going home for the moment. I don't think that their vision of the Realms is necessarily a "wrong" vision. They just happen to have chosen parts of the setting to mess with that this particular fan considers central and integral.

Regarding KEJR'S point about Cale:
Yeah, this is interesting. I'm just guessing here, but I'd say that Cale may fall within the new requisite "cool" equation. I too love Paul Kemp's books, but they seem to approach the Realms from a vastly different angle than, say, an Ed or Elaine novel. They're kinda dark, kinda edgy, with lots of sword-swinging goodness. Cale, (big, tall, tough Shadowman-with-a-wicked-sword) gives off a vibe that they probably feel they can work with.

I agree with KEJR and RF's thoughts on the player question of why Elminster [or whoever] isn't dealing with whatever problem the PCs might have. No more to add for the moment really. I understand that WotC is a business and must act as such when making content related decisions. I wish them luck. Now role on the fan timelines!

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  06:26:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

You know, there's a thread on the WotC forums that I took part in that deals with this very issue. Faraer mentioned (rightly, IMO) that the oft-cited question of "why isn't so-and-so taking care of this?" is a player question rather than a character question (and therefore, it probably isn't something the PCs would be asking themselves). I suggested that if a game stops in its tracks because the players would rather wonder where Elminster is than actually get to adventuring, than they are probably overthinking the game a bit.

I agree with you--hearing all these new (flippant) comments made me feel upset all over again. To think I had a pretty dispassionate attitude before, this podcast gets me all POed again.

I will take that as a hint that there is little reason for me to listen to it at all. To me it seems like this is more or less the same things that I have been hearing over the last couple of months anyway. I didn't care then and I don't care now.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  12:05:40  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check it out later...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  12:07:49  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I will take that as a hint that there is little reason for me to listen to it at all. To me it seems like this is more or less the same things that I have been hearing over the last couple of months anyway. I didn't care then and I don't care now.

If you have been following the 4e Realms since August, then over 85% of the Perkins interview is worthless. If a person has no idea what is going on or just following 4e Realms news off and on since August then they would benefit from this interview. I encourage people to watch this video anyway so they can draw there own conclusions. So far…I find some of Perkin’s statements hypocritical and don’t like the tease of waiting until January to hear about the new information concerning the time jump. Why not tell us now? Is there a major book or supplement for FR coming out this month that a premature announcement would ruin it for me?

Hype is good when handled correctly (LotR movies)
But when handled wrong you get the Phantom Menace.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  12:34:39  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Hype is good when handled correctly (LotR movies)
But when handled wrong you get the Phantom Menace.

Well I prefer Phantom Menace to the Ring trilogy, but I have a feeling that the hype of 4ed. has not even started. This is only the building of the excitement, wait until we get nearer to the publishing date, then the hype will really start.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  17:22:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is only the building of the excitement, wait until we get nearer to the publishing date, then the hype will really start.

If these negative emotions are the result of them building the excitement, then it doesn't bode well for them when the actual hype starts!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  19:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
This is only the building of the excitement, wait until we get nearer to the publishing date, then the hype will really start.

The only thing excited about 4e is my stomach...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  19:09:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

If these negative emotions are the result of them building the excitement, then it doesn't bode well for them when the actual hype starts!

It should be remmembered, people happy with change will not complain. In gereral only a few will praise changes they like. The emotionions do not get raised as much to cause a post to be typed.

Looking at negitive to positive comments does not often reflect the precentage of people's belief about the change.

Edit: Turned over the upsidedown "m"

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 07 Dec 2007 19:40:13
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  11:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't see the podcast here at work, but from all the responses, I'm going to easily assume that the 4E is turning the Realms inside out in an attempt to alienate realms fans and make current non-realms fans the new realms fans, so we will have to switch places with them as non-realms fans...at least that is the feeling I am getting.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

RIMV
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  19:28:31  Show Profile  Visit RIMV's Homepage Send RIMV a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I as well can't view it, but it sure does sound like they are tuning Forgotten Realms into WoW or something equally as atrocious.

I've said it before, 3.X is a good enough system for me. I will definitely not be supporting this new "Realms".
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  19:41:59  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RIMV

I as well can't view it, but it sure does sound like they are tuning Forgotten Realms into WoW or something equally as atrocious.

I've said it before, 3.X is a good enough system for me.

Edited by - Skeptic on 07 Dec 2007 19:42:17
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  04:02:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RIMV

I've said it before, 3.X is a good enough system for me. I will definitely not be supporting this new "Realms".

Hear, hear, RIMV! Welcome to the club!

Yes, my gaming group and I are definitely of the opinion that WoW has extended its digital tendrils into the consciousness of the makers of 4E... the similarities are flagrant. For the record, 2 out of our 5 gamers group play WoW and love it, but truly hate the way 4E is shaping up. The general sentiment from them is that they feel betrayed by WotC pure and simple. Even though some of us are high income earners, we feel that there is no way in heck one can keep up with the rapacious, rampant tide of products WotC has thrown our way in the last four years, let alone trying to plan *ahead* for a gawd dang fourth edifreakintion!

(So we've all decided to make a stand on our nice little 3.5 tile... yay 3.5... yay! --> can't believe I'm saying yay 3.5 <-- O_O )
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  12:56:12  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(So we've all decided to make a stand on our nice little 3.5 tile... yay 3.5... yay! --> can't believe I'm saying yay 3.5 <-- O_O )

My group has been standing on the Player's Option 2nd Edition tile for quite some time.. Only thing we pinched from 3.0->3.5 is some of the spell progression :)

My campaign runs in 1362-3 Dales and the campaigns two of my PCs play in is set in 1360-1 Tethyr..

4th edition no longer affects me as I've made all the book purchases apart from novels I need to make to play the game I want to play. I cant see anything coming that'll compel me to buy future novels at this rate.. The history of the realms has always seemed more compelling. I think this continues to confirm that to me..

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  04:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't help that Ed is slated to write novels in the new Realms (as opposed to the Realms of the past) if I recall correctly.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  17:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't fight it. Ed will make you fall in love with the Realms all over again. Really.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  17:12:29  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Don't fight it. Ed will make you fall in love with the Realms all over again. Really.

I prefer the 4E design over the 3.x, I love the new way to deal with the cosmology (greater/lesser/demi) and Ed is still deeply involed.

It will be hard to wait until August !
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  17:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was already in love with the Realms. The way I see it, WoTC is falling out of love with a large portion of it's fanbase in order to go in an unneeded and unwanted direction. Everything that has so far been mentioned about the New Realms makes me want to get into it less and less.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  18:30:07  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I was already in love with the Realms. The way I see it, WoTC is falling out of love with a large portion of it's fanbase in order to go in an unneeded and unwanted direction.

I doubt Candlekeep's grognards is a large portion of the fanbase.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  18:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno...discounting about let's say about 2000 people (a couple more maybe) who buy every Realms product there is... about $30 a month on average, makes 60k US$ per month and 720k US$ a year... maybe it isn't that much where you come from but having a steady base of supporters that buys everything with the logo printed on, or most of everything, is a good source of income... even if you knock off 120k US off the top, that leaves you with half a million dollars sure income... I say that's worth a tad more than just a mere acknowledgement, een it the average Candlekeep participant spends only 20 bucks a month it still is certain money which Wizards might not get from the "casual" gamer

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  18:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skeptic, all this is going to be divisive enough without that kind of labelling. Let's try and take each other's thoughts and feelings for what they are without reducing us to tribes.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  18:46:39  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Skeptic, all this is going to be divisive enough without that kind of labelling. Let's try and take each other's thoughts and feelings for what they are without reducing us to tribes.

Tribes ? I tought I was the only FR-fan who likes 4e changes here

Hmm.. maybe I'm the only vocal one..

Edited by - Skeptic on 09 Dec 2007 18:49:51
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  19:13:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Tribes ? I tought I was the only FR-fan who likes 4e changes here

Hmm.. maybe I'm the only vocal one..

Honestly, I know what I like about the Realms, and how I like it presented, and I spend time at Candlekeep because I like the people here and their ideas on the Realms. It is generally irrelevant whether my opinion is in the majority or not.

That having been said, from some of the responses that the designers have made regarding people misunderstanding their intentions or the like, while the majority may not think like we pitiful few here at Candlekeep, I think that WOTC does still have a significant number of people who are fans of the Realms that are leery of the potential changes.

But again, it matters little, because I know it doesn't serve my purposes or my tastes, and beyond that, I can't really do much about how other people receive such changes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000